A Kingdom United

Comments

• subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    The Group A is done. Russia and Uruguay will advance. In the group B, things are tight but I guess Portugal and Spain will advance despite their errors.

Prediction

Wales v Australia - Wales win
    France v Peru - France win
    Argentina v Scotland - Draw
  • ale1985bg
    395 posts Sunday League Hero
    Wales v Australia - Wales
    France v Peru - Peru
    Argentina v Scotland - Draw
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    More exciting than expected in Group B though...

Wales v Australia: Wales win
    France v Peru: France win
    Argentina v Scotland: Draw
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    I'm really sorry to let you all down but I've been busier than expected today and will not be able to post an update today. I will try and get two done tomorrow. :)

Here are tomorrow's matches if you want to predict:
    Brazil v Costa Rica
    Nigeria v Iceland
    Serbia v Switzerland

If anyone is going to be busy and wants a longer set of fixtures to predict all at once then let me know and I'll send you the rest of the group stage (it's the real fixtures with Wales replacing Denmark, Scotland replacing Croatia and Northern Ireland replacing Sweden).

Stlducks wrote: »
    CR7 showing his skills again as he leads his side into the next round and just continues to score big goals.

Spain and Uruguay need to pick it up if they want to advance deep in this tournament, right now they are not looking like two sides that can win it all.

He carried his country in Euro 2016 and looks like he could do it again now.

DonGabriel wrote: »
    Costa saved Spain, now we have a WC in this group.

That group is much tighter than I expected but not the tightest of the lot. One group ended up with every team on 3 points win 1 game to play. :grimace:

subpop wrote: »
    The Group A is done. Russia and Uruguay will advance. In the group B, things are tight but I guess Portugal and Spain will advance despite their errors.

You hope Spain will progress. I hope they won't :joy:

ASdoZeR wrote: »
    More exciting than expected in Group B though...

Hopefully it gets more exciting on the final matchday. :D
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Brazil v Costa Rica: Brazil
    Nigeria v Iceland: Nigeria
    Serbia v Switzerland: Serbia
  • subpop
    Alastair wrote: »

You hope Spain will progress. I hope they won't :joy:

It is expectation rather than hope... if Spain fall in this group, the players can't go back home.

My prediction:

Brazil v Costa Rica - Brazil win
    Nigeria v Iceland- draw
    Serbia v Switzerland - Switzerland win
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Brazil v Costa Rica: Brazil win
    Nigeria v Iceland: Draw
    Serbia v Switzerland: Switzerland win
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    Argentine Scalp Lets Scottish Fans Dream Of World Cup Glory

Thursday 21st June 2018

The eighth day of matches finished with Scotland recording one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history as they defeated Argentina. Earlier in the day the four teams in Group C played their second group matches.
    Match 21: Wales v Australia
    Group Stage
    yAhy2Zn.png

Wales qualified for the knock out stages after a 2-1 win over Australia. Wales started the better side and Bale connected with a Aaron Ramsey corner to head the Welsh ahead. after sixteen minutes. Australia seemed to settle after this goal and began to dominate the match. Mile Jedinak pulled the Socceroos level on the half hour mark. Jamie Maclaren found the Aston Villa midfielder with a defence spiting through ball and Jedinak fired past Wayne Hennessey from twelve yards. Both teams looked like they could win the game but it was Marley Williams who got the decisive goal with ten minutes to play. Full Back Ben Davis found the former-Hereford United winger on with a forty yard through ball. The winger cut in before curling the ball into the top corner of the goal in what could well turn out to be the goal of the tournament.
    YD1HoiW.png

R6rVnfp.png

Match 22: France v Peru
    Group Stage
    jDYvvbp.png

A comfortable 3-1 win put France into the Round of Sixteen. France will now face Wales in the final group match to decide who wins the group and who finishes second. Meanwhile Peru will meet Australia in the battle to not finish last in Group C.
    YrYazB6.png

Za8AmQr.png

Match 23: Argentina v Scotland
    Group Stage
    HsAyOs0.png

'We'll really shake them up, When we win the World Cup, Cause Scotland is the greatest football team' were the lyrics ringing around the Nishny Novgorod Stadium this evening as Scottish fans started to dream of just what this side could do. In 1978 Scotland went to Argentina to convinced they'd win the World Cup only to return with their tails between their legs after only three matches. It was therefore rather fitting that Argentina were the opponents on the day Scottish fans once again started to believe they could win the World Cup.

Lionel Messi perfectly curled the ball into the top corner from sixteen yards out to give the 2014 Runners Up an early lead. As Argentina looked to score a quick second to wrap up the win they omitted one too many players forward and Scotland caught them out on the Counter attack. Jason Cummings picked up a clearance in the centre circle and spotted Matt Phillips on the overlap down the left. His pass left Phillips one-on-one with Sergio Romero and the West Bromwich Albion player never looked like missing. Just over ten minutes later Scotland took the lead after Cummings was the first to react to a loose ball in the box. After a Matt Phillips was headed back across goal by Chris Martin a mix up in communication between the Argentinian defenders meant no-one cleared the ball letting a surprised Cummings smash home from four yards out. Scotland doubled their lead deep into second half stoppage time as Argentina push for a late equaliser. Argentina sent everyone except the goal keeper up for a late corner but it failed to beat the first man. Chris Martin and John McGinn found themselves through on the Argentinian goal and Martin set up the Hibs midfielder with a chipped ball.

As the full time whistle sounded Andy Cameron's famous song Ally's Tartan Army rang out once again before the Scottish fans partied late into the night.
    HEOeEuo.png

UcEAwJU.png

OWCJxgS.png
    Tomorrow's Matches
    Brazil v Costa Rica
    Nigeria v Iceland
    Serbia v Switzerland
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    Group D Set For Thrilling Final Day

Friday 22nd June 2018

The ninth day of action from Russia saw nine goals across three matches as Brazil secured their spot in the knockout stages whilst Iceland ensured the final round of Group D matches will have everything to play for.
    Match 24: Brazil v Costa Rica
    Group Stage
    0aXKoPR.png

Brazil strolled into the knockout stages with a comfortable three goal win over strugglers Costa Rica
    p4uJUz5.png

Match 25: Nigeria v Iceland
    Group Stage
    aaVsU4C.png

Iceland recorded their first ever victory at a World Cup as they beat Nigeria 2-1. This result means all four teams will have three points going into the final round of matches meaning any team that wins their final game will qualify for the next round. The final day will see Scotland play Iceland and Nigeria lock horns with Argentina.
    0wd1n7L.png

sW98EAs.png

Match 26: Serbia v Switzerland
    Group Stage
    KHDduln.png

Serbia eliminated Switzerland after a 2-1 victory over their European rivals. The Swiss will be keen to get a victory in their final match to try and restore some of their pride.
    Bs8UOgS.png

V4hsxcW.png
    Tomorrow's Matches
    Belgium v Tunisia
    South Korea v Mexico
    Germany v Northern Ireland
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Belgium v Tunisia: Belgium
    South Korea v Mexico: Mexico
    Germany v Northern Ireland: Germany
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Wow what a surprising win by Scotland though. And what a tough group. All or nothing with the last games.

Belgium v Tunisia: Belgium win
    South Korea v Mexico: Mexico win
    Germany v Northern Ireland: Draw
  • subpop
    Good result for Wales and surprising victory for Scotland. I didn't expect this. Wales are already through, a great achievement... and Scotland definitely have a good chance now. Fantastic.

Prediction

Belgium v Tunisia - Belgium win
    South Korea v Mexico - draw
    Germany v Northern Ireland - draw
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    Wow what a surprising win by Scotland though. And what a tough group. All or nothing with the last games.

That group would be amazing to watch as a neutral. Both matches at the same time with every goal scored changing the table.

Good result for Wales and surprising victory for Scotland. I didn't expect this. Wales are already through, a great achievement... and Scotland definitely have a good chance now. Fantastic.

I get the feeling the Welsh could have done well at the WC if they'd qualified. They've got a very strong side.

Scotland have a great chance. A draw in the final game is all we need. :)
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    Good Times Never Seemed So Good As Northern Ireland Shock Reigning World Champions

Saturday 23rd June 2018

Northern Ireland produced one of the greatest performances in their history to beat the reigning World Champions Germany. The win means Northern Ireland have one foot in the knockout stages and they're likely to be joined by Belgium who also won today. Elsewhere Mexico looked to put their first round thrashing by Germany behind them as they faced Korea Republic.
    Match 27: Belgium v Tunisia
    Group Stage
    nVu2woU.png

Three late goals saved Belgium's blushes as they overcame Tunisia in Moscow. Belgium will qualify for the knockout stages if England avoid defeat against Panama tomorrow.
    GGMdQge.png

01Dr8AY.png

Match 28: Korea Rep. v Mexico
    Group Stage
    OfDtGQU.png

Mexico scored a goal either side of half time to beat Korea Republic and get them back into contention for a place in the top two of the group. Mexico will need to beat Northern Ireland in their final match if they are to qualify.
    iwJXeaz.png

Match 29: Germany v Northern Ireland
    Group Stage
    rGYfs3y.png

Northern Ireland stunned Germany as they secured a 1-0 win over the 2014 Champions. When the two sides met at UEFA Euro 2016 the Germans dominated the match as they won 1-0 but despite another dominant performance today they couldn't replicate the result.

With just over ten minutes left to play Kyle Lafferty broke down the left wing as Northern Ireland looked to catch Germany out with a quick counter attack. Mats Hummels should have easily cleared his cross but lost his footing and slipped over at the crucial moment. This left Stuart Dallas unmarked at the front post and he calmly side footed the volley past Manuel Neuer into the bottom corner of the net.

For most of the final ten minutes Sweet Caroline reverberated around the 2014 Winter Olympic Games stadium as the Northern Irish fans became the crucial twelfth man. With their support the players held out for a crucial three points.
    XKcv7sD.png

mSz9qdb.png

DNHxPJq.png
    Tomorrow's Matches
    England v Panama
    Japan v Senegal
    Poland v Colombia
  • Stlducks
    1781 posts Play-Off Hero
    Belgium look to be on a roll. Surprised by Germany result but they still have a great chance of advancing.

England v Panama - England, Kane scoring a brace.
    Japan v Senegal - Senegal
    Poland v Colombia - Colombia
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Oh, great result by Northern Ireland, almost assured in the next round.

England v Panama: England win
    Japan v Senegal: Senegal win
    Poland v Colombia: Poland win
  • ElMarcos
    322 posts Sunday League Hero
    England v Panama: England win
    Japan v Senegal: Senegal win
    Poland v Colombia: Colombia win
  • subpop
    What a victory for Northern Ireland!!! A win that is worth a place in the next round. Historic achievement by the underdog. If you beat Germany, you can beat anyone.

Prediction
    England v Panama - England win
    Japan v Senegal- draw
    Poland v Colombia- draw
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Belgium look to be on a roll. Surprised by Germany result but they still have a great chance of advancing.

Belgium are looking very dangerous. England's match with them is certain to be a tight one.
    Oh, great result by Northern Ireland, almost assured in the next round.

Fairly confident I can hold on to win the group. That'd probably set up a winnable tie with Serbia. Once I reach the quarters anything can happen.
    What a victory for Northern Ireland!!! A win that is worth a place in the next round. Historic achievement by the underdog. If you beat Germany, you can beat anyone.

A win for the underdog is always a win for the neutrals. So good to see them win.

Not quite sure how I pulled it off It was one of those matches where I thought'd I'd be lucky to get a draw right up until I got that lucky break. I love how teams attack for the extra points in the WC update, it's very realistic and can change matches massively late on.
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    England On The Ball As Poor Panama Punished

Sunday 24th June 2018

England secured their spot in the knockout stages after a comfortable victory against Panama. Elsewhere the four teams in Group H played their second matches.
    Match 30: England v Panama
    Group Stage
    HsAyOs0.png

England got off to a flying start against Panama as Harry Kane headed a Danny Rose cross home after six minutes. Halfway through the first half Dele Alli doubled the English lead. Jordan Henderson picked out the Spurs midfielder with a through ball which Alii fired past the Panamanian goalkeeper with his left foot. Alli got his second of the match just twelve minutes later. A beautiful one-two with fellow Spurs man Harry Kane meant Alli found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper again. This time Alli used his right foot to curl the ball into the top corner. Kane got another assist almost straight away. Kane won the ball back quickly after the restart after poor passing from Panama. Kane spotted Rashford making a run and played in the Manchester United striker who made no mistake to put the ball past Jaime Penedo.

Panama managed to hold out England for most of the second half but with two minutes to go Raheem Sterling made it five. Kane got his third assist of the match as he set up the Manchester City striker in an almost identical move to Marcus Rashford's goal. In the first minute of added time Kane got himself another goal. The England captain shrugged off the defenders to get into the box and unleash a powerful shot which no keeper in the world could save. With this goal Kane became the first player to score back-to-back braces in the World Cup Finals since Diego Maradona in 1986. Maradona won the Golden Ball award at that World Cup, an award Kane is certain to be in contention for this year should England do well in this tournament.
    7JOxqnO.png

TF4cChC.png

N4CfsnC.png

Match 31: Japan v Senegal
    Group Stage
    jDYvvbp.png

Japan got a crucial victory against Senegal to get themselves back into contention for a top two spot in Group H.
    khcFKwN.png

Match 32: Poland v Colombia
    Group Stage
    PXr5xFZ.png

The top two sides in Group H played out a 1-1 draw to put both sides in a strong position with one game to go. If either side avoids defeat they'll qualify for the knockout stages.
    PWlyCQa.png

RiUyGps.png
    Tomorrow's Matches
    Saudi Arabia v Egypt
    Uruguay v Russia
    Iran v Portugal
    Spain v Morocco
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    England are insane. Hopefully they'll go far.

Saudi Arabia v Egypt: Egypt
    Uruguay v Russia: Russia
    Iran v Portugal: Portugal
    Spain v Morocco: Spain
  • subpop
    What a brating... England destroy Panama to advance. Probably it was to expect though. Now Belgium will be the real test.

Prediction

Saudi Arabia v Egypt - Egypt win
    Uruguay v Russia - draw
    Iran v Portugal - Portugal win
    Spain v Morocco- Spain win
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    England are insane. Hopefully they'll go far.

It’d be amazing to see us go deep this time. Got a feeling we could as well.

What a brating... England destroy Panama to advance. Probably it was to expect though. Now Belgium will be the real test.

Belgium will be a tough one but at least I’ve got a better GD so a draw will do.

Real life was almost as good as well. In both England matches my winning margin was only 1 goal more than real life (3 v Tunisia and 6 v Panama). Looks like I need to beat Belgium by 10 I’m FIFA so we hammer them in real life. :)

• ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Damn I missed yesterdays matches..
    What a demolition by England. Will be an interesting matchup against Belgium though.

Saudi Arabia v Egypt: Egypt win
    Uruguay v Russia: Uruguay win
    Iran v Portugal: Portugal win
    Spain v Morocco: Spain win
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    Damn I missed yesterdays matches..
    What a demolition by England. Will be an interesting matchup against Belgium though.

Missing the odd day in the Groups isn’t too bad. 4 matches a day this week then double points in the knockout rounds will be worth a lot more.

I have no idea what to expect against Belgium. I’ve perfected my formation and custom tactic now I’ve not tried it against a big team.
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    First Two Round of Sixteen Ties Confirmed As Groups A and B End

Monday 25th June 2018

Groups A and B played their third and final matches today and we now know the first two Round of Sixteen ties. After today's matches we bid farewell to the four nations who failed to finish in the top two of their groups.
    Match 33: Saudi Arabia v Egypt
    Group Stage
    aaVsU4C.png

The first two sides to finish their World Cup campaigns played out a 1-1 draw today. Both sides poor finishing in front of goal shows why they were eliminated.
    90nP2Cz.png

Match 34: Uruguay v Russia
    Group Stage
    yAhy2Zn.png

An Edinson Cavani goal was enough for Uruguay to beat hosts Russia and top Group A.
    WTJWPDw.png

shagWno.png

Match 35: Iran v Portugal
    Group Stage
    A4JjNuW.png

Portugal got the win they needed to top Group B and set up a Round of Sixteen tie with Russia. It looked for a while like the Portuguese might be pipped into second but a frantic last twenty minutes saw them get the goals they needed to win the group
    i1kVfbA.png

Match 36: Spain v Morocco
    Group Stage
    KHDduln.png

Spain will face Uruguay in the Round of Sixteen after a comfortable three goal victory over Morocco.
    d0yLcSK.png

jLu7npo.png
    Tomorrow's Matches
    Australia v Peru
    Wales v France
    Iceland v Scotland
    Nigeria v Argentina
  • Stlducks
    1781 posts Play-Off Hero
    Kane with the brace! Bonus points for my prediction! :)

Surprising how close your standings are to real life.

Australia v Peru - Peru
    Wales v France - Wales
    Iceland v Scotland - Iceland
    Nigeria v Argentina - Argentina
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Australia v Peru: Australia win
    Wales v France: France win
    Iceland v Scotland: Scotland win
    Nigeria v Argentina: Draw
  • subpop
    Without big surprises in the groups A and B as the favourites advance. Let's see in the next groups where I expect to see the first upsets.

Australia v Peru - draw
    Wales v France - wales win
    Iceland v Scotland - Scotland win
    Nigeria v Argentina - Argentina win
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Mainly as expected and surprisingly close to real life though.

Australia v Peru: Australia win
    Wales v France: Draw
    Iceland v Scotland: Scotland win
    Nigeria v Argentina: Argentina win