A Kingdom United

Comments

• Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    2018 FIFA World Cup Finals Draw Takes Place

Friday 1st December 2017
    State Kremlin Palace, Moscow, Russia

The group draw for next summer's World Cup Finals took place today. The thirty-two teams were sorted into four pots of eight teams based on their FIFA World Rankings. One team from each pot was placed in each group. No group contains more than one nation from any continental confederation with the exception of UEFA, which have at least one, but no more than two nations in a group.
    The pots were as follows:
    OXYJxUTl.png

The final group draws are as follows:
    dBq4gYz.png
    JvBVZcY.png

On paper Group A to be the easiest group of the competition with only one team inside the world's top 30. The first match of the tournament will see hosts Russia face the lowest ranked team in the competition, Saudi Arabia. Group B sees the Iberian derby between Portugal and Spain. This is a must win match for both teams and the loser will be left needing to win both their final matches if they are to qualify.

Groups C, D, E and F are vying for the title of the Groups of Death with all sixteen teams in these groups thinking they can qualify for the knockout stages.

England and Belgium should qualify from Group F with ease. The matchday three fixture between the two sides is set to be a key battle with the top half of the draw expected to be an easier run to the final than the bottom half. Group H should see Poland, Colombia and Japan competing for the two spots in the knockout stages.

All four home nations will be happy with their group draws and will be confident they can progress to the knockout stages of the tournament.
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    Alastair wrote: »
    kC5WKKU.png

Throughout the 2018 World Cup Finals everyone following the thread will be able to predict the outcome of matches. Fans will need to simply predict the whether each match will be a Home Win, Draw or Away Win.

Correctly predicting the group match results will award one point. In the knockout stages you will earn 2 points for each match. If a match ends in 90 minutes then you'll earn two points then, if it ends after 120 minutes you will earn 1 point for correctly guessing the result after 90 minutes and a second for the result after 120 minutes. If a match goes to penalties 1 point will be awarded for the score after 120 minutes and a second for the score on penalties. This will give a total of 80 points awarded for the match results.

Four pre-tournament predictions will award 5 points each to take the total points available to 100 points. The four categories are World Champion, Golden Boot Winner (top scorer) and Golden Glove Winner (best goalkeeper) and Golden Ball Winner (best player).

Each point earned from this will be worth one sticker from the sticker album.

Predictions are now open. Matches will be posted on the day they happen in real life so feel free to predict ahead of time.

The pre-tournament predictions will close on Monday 18th June at 7pm (kick-off in the England match).
    For tomorrow:

World Champion:
    Golden Boot:
    Golden Glove:
    Golden Ball:
    Russia v Saudi Arabia:
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    World Champion: Brazil
    Golden Boot: Mbappe
    Golden Glove: De Gea
    Golden Ball: Neymar
    Russia v Saudi Arabia: 1vs1
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    World Champion: Germany
    Golden Boot: Griezmann
    Golden Glove: Neuer
    Russia v Saudi Arabia: 2 - 1
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Thanks both. I see the lack of faith in me. :joy:

Just to say you only need to predict Russia, Draw or Saudi Arabia. There is no need to predict the exact score. :)
  • ale1985bg
    395 posts Sunday League Hero
    World Champion: England
    Golden Boot: Neymar Jr.
    Golden Glove: Keylor Navas
    Golden Ball: Cristiano Ronaldo
    Russia v Saudi Arabia: Draw
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Golden Boot: Kane
    Golden Glove: De Gea
    Russia v Saudi Arabia: 2-1
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    Thanks for the predictions. Final reminder to predict the match. The result will be posted in 14 minutes.

The tournament predictions are open until Monday evening.
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    2018 FIFA World Cup Finals Get Underway

Thursday 14th June 2018

The World Cup Finals got underway today as hosts Russia played their first match. The match was preceded by the Opening Ceremony which former Take That man Robbie Williams starred in. He started by asking the fans to let him entertain them before announcing that he just wanted to feel real love. Luckily it was a happy ending for Robbie as he finished by proclaiming his love for angels.

Match 1: Russia v Saudi Arabia
    Group Stage
    mvxwPq0.png

The day's only match saw hosts Russia face Saudi Arabia. The two sides are the two lowest ranked sides in the whole competition so on paper this did not look like the most exciting match. However, the Russian side playing their first competitive match in two years lived up to their countries expectation and ran out comfortable winners to sit top of Group A at this early stage.
    liR3Brp.png

117lUSB.png

Tomorrow's Matches
    Egypt v Uruguay
    Morocco v Iran
    Portugal v Spain
  • Stlducks
    1781 posts Play-Off Hero
    Golden Glove: Lloris
    Golden Ball: Dele
    Russia v Saudi Arabia: 4-0 Russia with a Smolov brace is my guess. :)

No bias in my picks.. I swear.
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    @Stlducks Nice try predicting Russia v Saudi Arabia after I’ve posted it. :joy:

Today’s matches are at the end of last night’s update.
  • ale1985bg
    Egypt v Uruguay: Uruguay win
    Morocco v Iran: Morocco win
    Portugal v Spain: Portugal win
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Portugal v Spain: Spain win
  • subpop
    Portugal v Spain: draw
  • Wyojasond
    13852 posts Has That Special Something
    Trying to get caught up :D will get my predictions in real quick

World Champion: Belgium
    Golden Boot: Messi
    Golden Glove: Courtois
    Golden Ball: Silva

By the way, not sure if I’ve mentioned it but those scoreboards are glorious B)B)B)
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    Trying to get caught up :D will get my predictions in real quick

World Champion: Belgium
    Golden Boot: Messi
    Golden Glove: Courtois
    Golden Ball: Silva

By the way, not sure if I’ve mentioned it but those scoreboards are glorious B)B)B)

Wow, so little faith in me. :joy:

The only other predictions are the 3 matches for today. I won't post the results till after tonight's game so you've got a bit of time (after today matches will probably be out about the time the last match of the day kicks off).

Thanks. Glad you like them. Think they're one of my oldest graphics from something like 2010. :joy:
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Portugal Celebrate Derby Victory On Tournament's First Full Day

Friday 15th June 2018

The first full day of matches at the World Cup saw Portugal edge out rivals Spain in the Iberian derby. The big match was preceded by two entertaining draws featuring the other teams in Group B as well as the two Group A teams yet to start their campaign.

Match 2: Egypt v Uruguay
    Group Stage
    jDYvvbp.png

The first game of the day saw the two favourites for Group A face off. Egypt took the lead midway through the first half through Premier League Golden Boot winner Mo Salah. With just over twenty minutes left in the match Uruguay's Barcelona striker Luis Suarez levelled the tie up. This was how the game finished as both sets of fans left disappointed.
    H35nW4J.png

b6RlhCd.png

Match 3: Morocco v Iran
    Group Stage
    0aXKoPR.png

Group B outsiders Morocco and Iran met in the day's second match. Both sides needed a win to realistically have a chance of progressing to the knockout stages but that was not to be after the match finished one-a-piece.
    SZNdk1a.png

Match 4: Portugal v Spain
    Group Stage
    rGYfs3y.png

The most hotly anticipated match of the group stage saw Iberian rivals Portugal and Spain meet in Sochi. The stadium was originally built for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games and the fans in attendance saw a match worthy of a gold medal as the Euro 2016 Champions edged out the Euro 2012 winners in a tight battle.
    6mIuJHK.png

Io0KhKA.png

Tomorrow's Matches
    France v Australia
    Peru v Wales
    Argentina v Iceland
    Scotland v Nigeria
    Post edited by Alastair on
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    edited June 2018
    Oh gosh, I missed this one :(

France v Australia: France win
    Peru v Wales: Wales win
    Argentina v Iceland: Argentina win
    Croatia v Nigeria: Draw
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Croatia v Nigeria: Croatia win
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    Thanks for the predictions guys. :)

I just turned on the TV to watch the Welsh game then realised they didn't even qualify and it's the Denmark game. :joy:
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    World Champion: Germany
    Golden Glove: Neuer
    Golden Ball: Neuer

Croatia v Nigeria: Croatia win
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    Thanks @JoshDFC :)

I'm just sorting out the sticker album then I'll award the stickers for the predictions so far. I want your advice on how you can earn a sticker.

There will be 32 nations, 12 stadiums, 3 awards and 3 for the overall champion. That gives 50 stickers with 100 available through predictions. You will be able to swap dupes with each other or trade in multiple dupes for different stickers.

The question I had is about how should I award stickers.
    1. A correct prediction in a match gives you the chance at earning one of those two nations or any of the other 18 stickers
    2. A correct prediction in a match gives you the chance at earning any of the 50 stickers

You will be able to swap dupes with each other or trade in multiple dupes for different stickers (so you can still earn eliminated nations after they've been eliminated by swapping or trading in).

Which would everyone prefer? I'm personally leaning towards the first option and will go with that unless anyone has any objections.
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    Just realised I made a typo and no-one spotted it. Croatia aren't in the World Cup. :joy:

Scotland v Nigeria is the final match. I'll give everyone who already predicted this match the points.
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    Incredible Welsh Comeback as Scotland Slip Up

Saturday 16th June 2018

The longest day of matches at this year's world cup saw eight more teams start their quest to be crowned World Champions. Among these eight teams, two home nations were beginning their campaigns.
    Match 5: France v Australia
    Group Stage
    PXr5xFZ.png

France secured only their fourth group stage victory in twenty years with a convincing two-goal victory over Australia. The Socceroos struggled to test a dominant French side who arguably should have scored more.
    TcuRNcR.png

Match 6: Argentina v Iceland
    Group Stage
    nVu2woU.png

The smallest nation ever to compete in a World Cup today played their first ever match in the Finals. Despite an early Argentine goal, Strákarnir okkar put up a good performance and the margin of defeat was perhaps unfair.
    sGgO4yF.png

Match 7: Peru v Wales
    Group Stage
    A4JjNuW.png

Wales got their first World Cup Finals campaign for sixty years underway with a victory over Peru. For the first quarter of an hour it looked as if, despite qualifying, Wales hadn't travelled to Russia as Peru dominated the match. Peru only got two goals but should have scored four before the Welsh began to control the game. Just after the half hour mark Joe Allen smashed an Aaron Ramsey through ball into the back of the net to get the Welsh back into the match. 2-1 was how it remained until the break.

Just three minutes after the restart Gareth Bale broke down the wing and cut back into the box to curl the ball past the helpless Pedro Gallese in the Peru goal. Wales should have pushed on from here to comfortably win the match but just three minutes later André Carrillo found Christian Cueva unmarked six yards out. Wayne Hennessey managed to get a knee to his volley but the ball fell to the unmarked Edison Flores who made no mistake from four yards out.

Wales continued to dominate play after this goal but it took another twenty minutes for them to equalise. Marley Watkins' cross found Gareth Bale unmarked at the back post and the Real Madrid man headed home. The Galactico turned provider six minutes later as he found Bradshaw with a beautiful through ball. The Barnsley striker took one touch before smashing the ball into the top corner from the edge of the box. Wales managed to hold on to this lead to complete one of the best comebacks in World Cup history.

Gareth Bale was named Man of the Match and after winning the same award in the UEFA Champions League Final the player could well be a contender for the Ballon d'Or should Wales progress far in this tournament.
    1dwMMZn.png

b05WurL.png

iObsa0V.png

Match 8: Scotland v Nigeria
    Group Stage
    KHDduln.png

Nigeria took the lead against Scotland just before half time after Ighalo broke through the Scottish defence. Craig Gordon came out to close down the angle but the former Watford player clipped the ball over him into the net. Tom Cairney deservedly got Scotland level after sixty-three minutes with a perfectly placed shot from the edge of the box. Man of the Match Stuart Armstrong played a perfect cross to the unmarked Fulham man whose first time shot comfortably beat Ikeme.

Scotland looked like they'd hold on to the point until a brief lapse of concentration from goalkeeper Craig Gordon in the final minute of stoppage time cost them. Christophe Berra
    passed a harmless cross back to Gordon who quickly found himself under pressure form Kelechi Iheanacho. Gordon tried to take a touch before booting the ball up field but the Leicester City striker blocked his clearance before tapping into the empty net. Scotland will now face Argentina on Thursday needing a win if they are to progress to the knockout stages.

This must win match will be made even harder for the Scots after the news that Leigh Griffiths will miss the game with an ankle injury. The Celtic man fell awkwardly after jumping for a header sixty-eight minutes into the match. Early reports suggest he could miss the next three weeks, potentially ruling him out until the Semi Finals should Scotland progress that far.
    ltOiUYm.png

Jr5G4tm.png

3BhrROz.png

Tomorrow's Matches
    Costa Rica v Serbia
    Germany v Mexico
    Brazil v Switzerland
  • Stlducks
    1781 posts Play-Off Hero
    I like option 2.

Costa Rica v Serbia - Serbia
    Germany v Mexico - Germany
    Brazil v Switzerland - Brazil

Emotional loss for Scotland to give up such a late goal and to lose a key player for what is most likely the rest of the tournament.
  • ale1985bg
    Ouch, it must have been very hard for Scotland to lose in the stoppage time like that... Good on Wales to turn the match around after going 1-0 down. Keep it up!

Costa Rica v Serbia = Costa Rica win
    Germany v Mexico = Draw
    Brazil v Switzerland = Brazil win
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Stlducks wrote: »
    I like option 2.

Emotional loss for Scotland to give up such a late goal and to lose a key player for what is most likely the rest of the tournament.

Thanks. I'll be posting the album in a couple of hours. I did some tests last night and it doesn't actually seem to make much difference which option I go for.

Losing Griffiths is a huge blow. He's my highest rated played and was my sole striker. Think I'll need to change up my formation a bit.

ale1985bg wrote: »
    Ouch, it must have been very hard for Scotland to lose in the stoppage time like that... Good on Wales to turn the match around after going 1-0 down. Keep it up!

Thanks Ale. :)

I was fuming. :joy: I just lost concentration and they scored. Just passed it back to the GK knowing as soon as he kicked it up field the final whistle would go but for some reason he decided to do some weird skill move to control it instead of hitting it first time.
    4bcca085e2c774e62c874145147b1e74.gif

I was very relieved with the Welsh match. 2-0 down in 12 minutes got me worried it'd be a cricket score.
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    Wow that is a bad goal to concede and so late on as well I bet the controller is broken with that on :lol:

Costa Rica v Serbia = Serbia win
    Germany v Mexico = Germany win
    Brazil v Switzerland = Brazil win
  • subpop
    Wales definitely overcame a very difficult moment to start the WC. Three important points here.

On the other hand Scotland have a complicated future after this defeat in the last second... and how it was.

And Spain... what a mess.

I like option 1.

My prediction

Costa Rica v Serbia - draw
    Germany v Mexico - Germany win
    Brazil v Switzerland - Brazil win
  • Alastair
    10179 posts Moderator
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Wow that is a bad goal to concede and so late on as well I bet the controller is broken with that on :lol:

I was in too much shock to throw the controller anywhere. :joy:

subpop wrote: »
    Wales definitely overcame a very difficult moment to start the WC. Three important points here.

On the other hand Scotland have a complicated future after this defeat in the last second... and how it was.

And Spain... what a mess.

I like option 1.

Yeah it's not looking good for Scotland with Argentina next. :grimace:

I've got past Spain's second match and that group becomes interesting (I won't revel any more. :tongue: )

Think I'll go with option 1. :)