The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

The Last Chance Saloon - The story of Santiago Muñez

ale1985bg
394 posts Sunday League Hero

Comments

• subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Interesting proposal... nice trailer!!

Willing to see your idea and great to see you back here.

Note: Funny to see Morata in the intro... he may need a role in the story as he doesn't go to the WC after all.
  • Danimal5981
    2474 posts Fans' Favourite
    nice intro, kudos for creativity!
  • ale1985bg
    nice intro, kudos for creativity!
    subpop wrote: »
    Interesting proposal... nice trailer!!
    Thanks to both of you!
    I'm glad you liked this little video... It's been a nice way to kill the time waiting for the World Cup DLC to be released!
    In all honesty even if the "format" is something I came up with myself, the player renders aren't mine (they've been made by Joaquin Peloc and though he's now retired he used to produce quality renders back in the day) and neither is the background music. o:)
    Note: Funny to see Morata in the intro... he may need a role in the story as he doesn't go to the WC after all.
    Yeah, I'm absolutely sad to see he's not in the World Cup squad, but I thought he ought to have a little role in this story.
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Nice intro! I'm going to cook the popcorn.
  • Ashy
    10589 posts Has That Special Something
    Cool video to kick start the story, will be following closely
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Great intro as already mentioned. Now it's time to start the journey B)
  • ale1985bg
    Thank you everyone! I'm setting the last couple of things up then we'll kick it off... Stay tuned! ;)
  • WestardLord
    1762 posts Play-Off Hero
    Great teaser, you're setting up some big (good) expectations. Looking forward to it!
  • Virtual_K
    1782 posts Play-Off Hero
    Love the video! So, is this the character from the Goal movie (never saw the whole thing)? And he is a manager now? Guess I'll have to view to find out. :o
  • ale1985bg
    Thanks guys! Yeah, it's that Santiago Muñez indeed. Well, I think the time has come to kick this off with a little background story...

JtSINJW.png

wkoSW3p.png

In the wake of one of the darkest night of American soccer, we still cannot believe what happened. Team USA fell to a painful 2-1 defeat to Trinidad and Tobago last night, putting an end to our World Cup dreams.
    We've been left wondering "is there something that we can save from this absolute disaster? And where did it all go wrong?" but we struggle to find any appropriate answer to those questions right now.

An almost impossible series of events should've happened for Team USA to miss out on next year's World Cup, and this is exactly what happened. A ghost goal allowed Panama to defeat Costa Rica. Mexico got defeated, too. Team USA put in one of their worst performances ever, out of either over-confidence or plain laziness.
    Here you have your recipe for disaster.

For many players this was the last chance to feature in a World Cup, to defend their country's colours. We're thinking to Dempsey, aged 34. To Howard, aged 38. Maybe Geoff Cameron could still have a chance, but he already missed a good chunk of the qualifiers and he's 32. At least we're hoping to see again Bradley and Fabian Johnson, both currently aged 30, in Qatar. If we manage to qualify, this time.

Needless to say, the one part of Team USA we won't be seeing in Qatar is Bruce Arena: he resigned straight after the match. Not that we expected him to do anything different.

Rumour has it that we'll soon see a Mexican manager on that bench, a manager responding to the name of Santiago Muñez. The current Atlanta United manager, who played for Newcastle United and for Real Madrid in the 2000s, is the favourite for the role right now. Whether he's the right man or not for the job, is still up for discussion. We at ESPN think he could aswell be.
  • Ashy
    I enjoyed the first GOAL film but not so much the 2nd, not seen any others if there have be any, Munez is someone I am familiar with though so that helps follow the story a bit haha, good intro and yes USA were shocking cannot believe they missed out!
  • subpop
    A madridista? Boooo... :|o:)
  • Virtual_K
    1782 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ghost goal and Mexico losing at Azteca. Don't tell me there wasn't a conspiracy against the US. Still, how could we not leave Trinidad without a point? Hope Santiago Munez can help us score more GOOOOOAAAAAALLLs!
  • ale1985bg
    Ashy wrote: »
    I enjoyed the first GOAL film but not so much the 2nd, not seen any others if there have be any
    I think there's been a third, but I've never seen it either. I've heard that it's about the 2006 World Cup though so I might also try and see if they broadcast it on TV in these days, as the World Cup is upon us.
    A madridista? Boooo... :|o:)
    Yeah, he used to play for Real Madrid, but rumour has it he moved to Tottenham Hotspur because Real Madrid refused to renew his contract, so in my eyes he's cleared of any wrongdoing.
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Hope Santiago Munez can help us score more GOOOOOAAAAAALLLs!
    Considering that I'll be playing with manual settings, I wouldn't be so sure! :joy:

• ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Man Santiago has to clean up some big mess over there. At least the managerial footsteps aren't the biggest :D
  • ale1985bg
    7cWA2jU.png

Thus spoke Walter López. He might not be Zarathustra, but trust us: what he said is pretty interesting too.
    And trust us, here in the States everyone was looking forward to this moment. We just knew.

We've been through two weeks of innuendo, pressure and criticism. Two weeks of analyzing footage, of longing for goal line technology, of trying to find a sensible explanation to what happened in Panama.
    And finally, the referee of the Panama vs. Costa Rica match decided to speak out. What he said could put Panama in serious trouble, as he admitted he knew that the ball hadn't gone in.

“I had a deal, a deal with someone sitting very high in the hierarchy of the FePaFut. He asked me to help them defeat Costa Rica, which were already qualified, as it would be their only way to still hope. And I just did so”. These were the words of the referee, which now is most likely going to face a lifetime ban. “Things like this happen all the time, don't you remember what Byron Moreno did at the 2002 World Cup? Yeah, it's been the same”.

He then proceeded to declare himself sorry, stating that he couldn't really foresee what would happen because of “such a wrong decision”. Little he knew that an incredible series of events would happen indeed in the other venues, a series of events that would leave the USA out of the race.

As of today, October 22, 2017, Panama are under investigation and so is the referee. Panama will most likely receive a lengthy ban from international football, López may not enter a football pitch ever again.

With Honduras already stating that they're not wealthy enough to take Panama's place, this is turning into a huge chance to see Team USA at the World Cup. Hopefully it's not too late for our new manager, which everyone now believes being Santiago Muñez, to get ready.
  • Ashy
    I really like where this is going, good detail and a realistic way to get the US in the tournament.
  • ale1985bg
    Thanks man! Indeed, that "goal that was never a goal" opportunity was just too good to pass up. :joy:
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Oh, I didn't know about that "ghost goal". Hopefully USA will get the spot.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Fantastic idea to get this "ghost goal" involved and turn around things that way. When I saw this back then in real it was just ridiculous..
  • ale1985bg
    edited June 2018
    DonGabriel wrote: »
    Oh, I didn't know about that "ghost goal"
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    When I saw this back then in real it was just ridiculous..
    Yeah, a very bad decision indeed. It really reminded me about what happened at the 2002 World Cup, with South Korea advancing first past Italy and then past Spain with many mistakes in their favour.
    And I still remember Henry's handball, too.

Meanwhile, it looks like something big is happening in the States. We have a manager!

YB9zFjj.png
    Post edited by ale1985bg on
  • subpop
    Numbers up to 99? Damn FIFA... that's ugly.

The friendly games before WC are quite tough. Let's see what comes out of them... they'll be a good test.
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    Fantastic way to get USA into the World Cup I never knew about the ghost goal but man thats some bad officiating
  • Alastair
    10139 posts Moderator
    Good luck with this. :)

Nice video introduction and great story line to get the US into the finals. I like how you got around the kit number bug as well. :joy:
  • ale1985bg
    Numbers up to 99? Damn FIFA... that's ugly.
    Alastair wrote: »
    I like how you got around the kit number bug as well. :joy:
    Well, I needed to do something as I happened to face players with numbers higher than 23 already. This was just the only way I could think of. :joy:
    Hopefully we won't see it anytime soon in real life, but I think we'll get there eventually: after all some players have their number as a 'trademark' (think about Balotelli's 45 or Cassano's 99)...

Alastair wrote: »
    Good luck with this. :)

Nice video introduction and great story line to get the US into the finals.
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Fantastic way to get USA into the World Cup I never knew about the ghost goal but man thats some bad officiating
    Thank you! Yeah, it's been indeed a very very bad decision. But again, Henry's hand has been worse in my opinion as he did it on purpose. This reminded me more of Muntari's goal against Juventus which was never given (it happened several years ago in Serie A).

On a different note, Santiago Muñez will answer the questions of the press before the match against Spain, so please feel free to drop your questions here if you have any. :)

• Stlducks
    1757 posts Play-Off Hero
    Very clever idea and great looking graphics
  • Alastair
    10139 posts Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Do you feeling you deserve a place in the WC?
    What do you have to say to the people of Panama?
    Why did you cheat you way into the WC?
    How do you sleep at night?

Now those questions are out the way:
    How do you think you will get on?
    Who will be your captain?
    What do you have to say to all those wanting to build a wall to keep you out of the US?
    Will you sing the national anthem?
    How do you think your experiences as a player will help you as a national team manager?
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    You have a really young team is this competition is the aim to gain experience or do you believe the no fear factor of a young squad could help you
  • Ashy
    Love a bit of controversy, remember when Henry used his hand to score past Ireland I think back in the day, Lampard's goal against Germany in the WC and this sounds like something similar, didn't actually know it was real though I thought you made it up into the story line so that's interesting, looks like USA are coming to the big stage!
  • Virtual_K
    1782 posts Play-Off Hero
    As an American, I can say with certainty that CONCACAF refs suck balls. There is no doubt in my mind that there was communication going on regarding the result of the USA vs Trinidad match and other teams acted accordingly. However, our destiny was in our hands and we decided to play in the water on a crappy field before the match rather than get focused on winning. In the long run, we'll be better served. Whew, got that off my chest. :)

Question:
    Do you feel there is enough quality on the roster to press the attack, or will the US resort to the tried-and-true defend for your life and look to counter mentality?