How are the 5 ATBs this year?

Antparry92
17525 posts World Class
Not one for dismissing 5 atb as I use to run 5-2-1-2 religiously on 16. So much so I even made a guide for it in here.
I’m leaking goals so thought it may help with that but it also helps me get my team on to full Chem more importantly.

Thinking of running 5-2-2-1 with TOTS Guedes-TOTS Messi-SBC Quaresma as my front 3

Comments

• Antparry92
    17525 posts World Class
    Anyone?
  • Legend Killer
    1014 posts Professional
    Wing backs have to be attacking and get forward imo otherwise the formation doesn't work.

What would your defence look like?
  • Whoman
    5306 posts Big Money Move
    For me they are only working purely to defend a lead. As soon as i push up there are just so many gaps between the CBs for easy throughballs :(

Dont really rate the super wide FBs and how they position themselves going forward.
  • Finesse_4days
    6824 posts Big Money Move
    shocking this fifa as midfield can easily get dominated
  • BcfcDale88
    3642 posts National Call-Up
    Try 4231 that seems decent
  • Antparry92
    17525 posts World Class
    BcfcDale88 wrote: »
    Try 4231 that seems decent

That’s what I’m using at the moment and I’m not really enjoying it. Feels like it’s going stagnant and players not making runs they use to before.

0d0d2a9ccc5e3a85dda3ae5e33574138.jpg

I’d be switching to this. Nacho was in my club, I’d get someone else and Andre Gomes would be subbed
    5a0d8b3efd6635aeab8b879fbedf2db5.jpg
  • Addicksfan
    3242 posts National Call-Up
    I've found 5-2-1-2 to be an excellent formation, especially against narrow 4-1-2-1-2.

The FB's need to have high/high, I use prime Carlos and Prime Zanetti and the two CM's I use are prime Gullit and Rijkaard...Rijkaard on SBWA and Gullit on get forward.

The FB's are pivotal in this formation especially when faced with narrow formations, they can bomb forwards as generally you'll have 3 CB's and the more defensive CM hanging back. One ball playing CB (normally the more central of the three) and two more pacey CB's will ensure a solid enough defense.

Also a target man type attacker to attack crosses or hold up play is also a must, I'm going to give TOTS Lewandowski a go tonight as he looks perfect
  • jpsblue
    3900 posts National Call-Up
    Addicksfan wrote: »
    I've found 5-2-1-2 to be an excellent formation, especially against narrow 4-1-2-1-2.

The FB's need to have high/high, I use prime Carlos and Prime Zanetti and the two CM's I use are prime Gullit and Rijkaard...Rijkaard on SBWA and Gullit on get forward.

The FB's are pivotal in this formation especially when faced with narrow formations, they can bomb forwards as generally you'll have 3 CB's and the more defensive CM hanging back. One ball playing CB (normally the more central of the three) and two more pacey CB's will ensure a solid enough defense.

Also a target man type attacker to attack crosses or hold up play is also a must, I'm going to give TOTS Lewandowski a go tonight as he looks perfect

what player instructions would you use for that formation when i come up against 41212 narrow people? i have a stacked team with great fullbacks etc
  • BuffonJuve93
    1168 posts Professional
    I've never lost to 5 defenders
  • Antparry92
    17525 posts World Class
    I've never lost to 5 defenders

Like others have said, it all depends on how you use it, at least it was back in 16
  • Maradona
    4445 posts National Call-Up
    3-5-2 is showing some potential
  • MattDaddy V1
    1601 posts Play-Off Hero
    Out of the 5atb formations I only really feel comfortable with the 532. Won division 1 online with it in both 16 & 17.

Don't mind the 5212 but I feel the two cm's get isolated too much and my opponent can just bypass them with the right pass/throughball. Never had any love for the 5221, sorry.

Sold all my sellable players in anticipation of the WC mode so if I do switch back from the 442 to the 532 I've got a choice of Aurier and Bellerin for rwb and Rose and Monreal as lwb. (Plus SIF Young.) Would also mean putting TOTS Son as a cm which I'm not too worried about. When I run 532 I always set wb's to always overlap, the ccm to stay back and both strikers to gib and ptbl.
  • Antparry92
    17525 posts World Class
    Maradona wrote: »
    3-5-2 is showing some potential

Used that up until a few weeks ago with my MLS side
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    It is pointless this year.

Regardless of how defensive you play, you will still concede those types of goal.

You give up too much offensively for the 5 too, imo. Hard to dominate a game.
  • Antparry92
    17525 posts World Class
    coatsy wrote: »

Regardless of how defensive you play, you will still concede those types of goal.

I guess so. My club is full of decent attacking players, just wish I’d have packed a decent CB from the TOTS packs. I might give up Ter Stegen tonight though in the Bundes SBC or possibly wait till Serie A for the chance of Koulibaly and Chiellini et al
  • JBC03FC
    3336 posts National Call-Up
    edited May 2018
    I used it with tots alba and toty alves. Felt far too negative, didnt enjoy it.
  • Addicksfan
    3242 posts National Call-Up
    jpsblue wrote: »

what player instructions would you use for that formation when i come up against 41212 narrow people? i have a stacked team with great fullbacks etc

@jpsblue

Always overlap on FB's
    One CM get forward/get in the box for cross
    One CM stay back while attacking and conservative interceptions (this way he doesn't stray out of position)
    CAM stay forward/get in the box for cross
    ST's - I prefer just putting stay central. you can put them on run behind but I tend not to

Customs

org

ff

cover
  • Nervous_Nick
    5076 posts Big Money Move
    coatsy wrote: »

This
  • SimenHP
    1921 posts Fans' Favourite
    I'm going to try this team. I'm just waiting for TOTS Talisca and De Ligt

7c16c94f3162db310e19014f07d11b3f.jpg

• Maradona
    4445 posts National Call-Up
    jpsblue wrote: »

@jpsblue

Always overlap on FB's
    One CM get forward/get in the box for cross
    One CM stay back while attacking and conservative interceptions (this way he doesn't stray out of position)
    CAM stay forward/get in the box for cross
    ST's - I prefer just putting stay central. you can put them on run behind but I tend not to

Customs

org

ff

cover

here's the thing for me, 3-5-2 was never working then I realized I shouldn't use cover, but offside trap. that's 3-5-2 in real life...works better for me. also 40 at pressure
  • Xtrem3 Poptarts
    6876 posts Big Money Move
    You need to have Messi at CAM