Total Football

Leoni
90 posts Park Captain
I thought a thread like this would be interesting for players who enjoy playing realistic possession football rather than going for the classic meta 41212, 4321, 4231 narrow formations. I play 433 (2) with the custom tactics of Barcelona from Online Seasons and if you're a skilled player and understand the fundamentals of real football, you can actually make it work. I think fifa would be a better game if more players used real football tactics rather than going for the popular meta. Here's a gameplay video from one of my matches on fut champions to give you guys an idea.

Comments

• NornIron
    12057 posts Has That Special Something
    Sorry doesn't work, you will just get hit counter attacks that's the way EA made the game.
  • Leoni
    90 posts Park Captain
    NornIron wrote: »
    Sorry doesn't work, you will just get hit counter attacks that's the way EA made the game.

I agree that EA made it very hard to play in a non-meta way and still get good results, but it is possible. I'm very busy but when I do have the time to play the full 40 matches I usually finish elite 3 with this formation and play style. It's all about utilizing small triangles on the pitch, using your full backs and creating overloads. Just like real football.
  • Overandover
    3173 posts National Call-Up
    Would love it to work, but it just doesn’t.

No offence, you call it total football but there’s an awful lot of sprinting going on in it, not much in the way of your subject heading.
  • Leoni
    90 posts Park Captain
    Would love it to work, but it just doesn’t.

No offence, you call it total football but there’s an awful lot of sprinting going on in it, not much in the way of your subject heading.

Nah you're right about the title but that was just me trying to make a point. I'm not saying I play Total Football like Johan Cruyff's Barcelona and I also don't think that's possible with this game but this is as close as it gets in the hell of fut champions. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Neckabob
    13118 posts Has That Special Something
    Keweeeellllllllllllllllll
  • Overandover
    3173 posts National Call-Up
    There’s some nice football in there, the 3rd goal is brilliantly worked.

I’m actuslly trying to slow my game down and play at a more leisurely pace, with quick passing and moving opening up teams. Rarely using sprint but making the most of players giving and going.

Won my last two division 1 games 6 1 and 8 0 doing it just before I finished for the night.

I have been using very short passing on the custom tactics but felt my players were then passing too short and under powered.

Moved back to mid range passing tonight and it was only perfect, so many options, and particularly on free form in the second categories.
  • Shehraj
    5733 posts Big Money Move
    Is the video a joke, you play the exact same meta sprint 1-2 passing as all the rest of us :lol:

And if you were to actually play a possesion based football, like others said you would play pretty bad after conceding from most counters. Its just how the game is
  • Leoni
    90 posts Park Captain
    Neckabob wrote: »

She's crazy like a fool...
  • Leoni
    90 posts Park Captain
    There’s some nice football in there, the 3rd goal is brilliantly worked.

I’m actuslly trying to slow my game down and play at a more leisurely pace, with quick passing and moving opening up teams. Rarely using sprint but making the most of players giving and going.

Won my last two division 1 games 6 1 and 8 0 doing it just before I finished for the night.

I have been using very short passing on the custom tactics but felt my players were then passing too short and under powered.

Moved back to mid range passing tonight and it was only perfect, so many options, and particularly on free form in the second categories.

I can relate to that. For me this year of fifa was just trying to find the right formation and custom tactics that allowed me to play in an enjoyable way but also win matches on a high level. I tried out Barcelona, Man City and Napoli custom tactics all with slow build up and I loved it because it forces you to play patiently. I keep passing distance in the 30's, otherwise I lose the small triangles. 433 (2) with the cm's on get forward, free roam and get into the box for crosses is just amazing if you get it right.
  • Leoni
    90 posts Park Captain
    Shehraj wrote: »
    Is the video a joke, you play the exact same meta sprint 1-2 passing as all the rest of us :lol:

And if you were to actually play a possesion based football, like others said you would play pretty bad after conceding from most counters. Its just how the game is

I respect every kind of constructive feedback but if the only thing you could find in that gameplay was 1-2 passing, I have to question your knowledge of football.
  • Retro_G
    30339 posts National Team Captain

You could play possession before the first patch, but all the big youtubers, even pro's were complaining, because they only know one way to play. You play a competitive fighting game, the meta is constantly changing, you play Fifa, we're all funnelled down a particular playstyle.
  • Leoni
    90 posts Park Captain
    Retro_G wrote: »

You could play possession before the first patch, but all the big youtubers, even pro's were complaining, because they only know one way to play. You play a competitive fighting game, the meta is constantly changing, you play Fifa, we're all funnelled down a particular playstyle.

Imagine a football game that's designed based on the will of childish youtubers and the so called 'pro's' who act like copies of each other. It's sad really. I could only watch 1 game during the big pro event and it was enough because they all did the same thing with zero creativity.
  • Seandimes
    2473 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited May 2018
    Gameplay looks really nice! Used to love the 433 in every football game I have played, but its just not effective this Fifa. Like you said, you CAN make it work if you commit to it. But you are putting yourself at a disadvantage from the start.

As for players implementing more real life tactics instead of the meta, that ship has long sailed. Fifa has become more competitive than it ever was, so people will use whatever is most effective for them.

For me the main problem of the 433 is that it is very hard to get your wingers involved to the point its worth playing it. Like in your video, all of the chances you create come through the middle, while your wingers act as a distraction and pull the opponent defenders wide.
  • Neckabob
    13118 posts Has That Special Something
    Leoni wrote: »
    Neckabob wrote: »

She's crazy like a fool...

I just love this man no ****
  • Leoni
    90 posts Park Captain
    Seandimes wrote: »
    Gameplay looks really nice! Used to love the 433 in every football game I have played, but its just not effective this Fifa. Like you said, you CAN make it work if you commit to it. But you are putting yourself at a disadvantage from the start.

As for players implementing more real life tactics instead of the meta, that ship has long sailed. Fifa has become more competitive than it ever was, so people will use whatever is most effective for them.

For me the main problem of the 433 is that it is very hard to get your wingers involved to the point its worth playing it. Like in your video, all of the chances you create come through the middle, while your wingers act as a distraction and pull the opponent defenders wide.

You're right about the problem with the wingers. I tried every instruction on them but get in behind and get in to the box works best. I just accepted the fact that they won't score as many goals as my st and cm's but that doesn't mean they aren't crucial to my play. 90% of my attacks I build up with the lb-lcm-lw, rb-rcm-rw triangles. Another thing is that they always keep my opponents full backs occupied which creates space for my cm's to get forward and score lots of goals. 433 (2) just has the perfect spacing of players to make it easy to keep the ball. You use all of the pitch.