5-2-2-1.... Will it help me defend better?

Waspy
3885 posts National Call-Up
hi chaps,

As we all do from time to time im having a 'crisis of confidence' and struggling to either close games out keep leads going into 2nd half.

Im thinking my main issue is the formation, was doing really well with the 3-5-2, scoring a lot of goals bu then struggling to adapt when oppos make changes. Not liking the whole CDM swapping with CM in the 4-1-2-1-2 narrow.

Has anyone used the above formation? (5-2-2-1)

Team would likely be;

St: 92 Hazard
LW: TOTS Son
RW: TOTS Sterling
LCM: Prime Rijkaard
RCM: Prime Bergkamp
LWB: TOTS Young
LCB: Prime Rio
CCB: 87 De Light
RCB: Desailly (87)
RWB: IF Aurier

Any help is appreciated chaps, id likely swap Son and Hazard at the start. Also as a general comment, either in the 3-5-2 or 5-2-2-1 at what point shoudl CTs be adjusted to stop CMs bombing up the pitch???

Comments

• BMANUTD
    1460 posts Professional
    edited May 2018
    It’s solid defensively, but you’re not gonna have much fun with it. Try 4231 (start at 4231-2 for full chem) 2 CDMs on stay back, all cams on stay forward. Should help you defensively, but also good options going forward.

I play 3-5-2 in my fitness team and love that formation. Gets murdered against better players, but great for SB
  • Advait
    14717 posts World Class
    Wouldn't recommend it
  • Bigfootisblurry
    2186 posts Fans' Favourite
    I've found 4411 the most effective this year and pretty solid defensively. Gives you lots of options in possession too
  • Waspy
    I've found 4411 the most effective this year and pretty solid defensively. Gives you lots of options in possession too

@Bigfootisblurry hmmm looks a good formation. What CTs / instructions do you use?
  • Bigfootisblurry
    @Waspy I use wingers on stay forward, cut inside, in the box for cross, striker balanced, CF get in behind, one CM stay back, the other balanced and then stay back for the full backs.

It works particularly well with a strong striker and quick cf in my experience. Currently using 90 Crespo and TOTS Gomez but Larsson and 90 Bergkamp were also very effective.

I'll post the full team in a minute.
  • Bigfootisblurry
    i1z7fc.png

Quite a bit of filler whilst I'm waiting for Serie A TOTS.
  • Waspy
    Thanks! Looks very good, im considering RM as TOTS Sterling, CF TOTS Son.... Striker im not sure though. Im thinking of selling CR7, since i've had him i've lost more games than I have in the whole previous month, could of course be pure coincidence. Id rather not have the buggeration of formation changes etc as well really. Will 100% give this formation a try this WL!
  • Bigfootisblurry
    You're right, formation switching does my head in so I avoiding doing it at all costs.

Have you considered Son up top with Eriksson behind? That's probably where I'd go with it.
  • Waspy
    You're right, formation switching does my head in so I avoiding doing it at all costs.

Have you considered Son up top with Eriksson behind? That's probably where I'd go with it.

hmmmmm not a bad shout though im only one team away from completing the KDB league SBC card.........
  • Bigfootisblurry
    That'd work too.
  • Ishibum
    12263 posts Has That Special Something
    5221 basically invites pressure on you. You'd be better with 352 and use either defensive minded RM/LM or use 7 chem full backs (like tif Telles or Ricardo Pereira). Given most attacks come through the middle, cdms are needed
  • ConMan123
    255 posts Sunday League Hero
    5212 i actually like playing. Switched to it recently tho so we will see. Have to have fast and solid wing backs, CDM’s that are solid and great CAM to make it work at all. Cb’s it helps if they have at least above average pace. If you are a little slower in your buildup it has worked well so far
  • Waspy
    edited May 2018
    Ishibum wrote: »
    5221 basically invites pressure on you. You'd be better with 352 and use either defensive minded RM/LM or use 7 chem full backs (like tif Telles or Ricardo Pereira). Given most attacks come through the middle, cdms are needed

@Ishibum how about Sandro LW card as the LM in a 3-5-2? I'd sell CR7 and crack on with the reliable 92 Hazard and Son at St then. (also some cashola in the bank for WC / TOTS De Light...)

actually i think ill put Sanchez at LM (on full chem then instead of 7 at RM) and PTG William at RM?
  • Ishibum
    12263 posts Has That Special Something
    Waspy wrote: »
    Ishibum wrote: »

@Ishibum how about Sandro LW card as the LM in a 3-5-2? I'd sell CR7 and crack on with the reliable 92 Hazard and Son at St then. (also some cashola in the bank for WC / TOTS De Light...)

actually i think ill put Sanchez at LM (on full chem then instead of 7 at RM) and PTG William at RM?

That Sandro card would be ideal for this
  • MaxxyMousse
    309 posts Sunday League Hero
    “Better” is the key word here. In Fifa you can never know if you are getting better or worse. You may not concede 5 games in a row and think that you got better, than you may lose 10 straight and think that nothing has changed.
    In EA’s world of randomness and unknown , your best bet is to have fun. Do not look at the scores. Just try to have fun.
  • Delboy13710
    4723 posts National Call-Up
    451 (2) I'm really enjoying seems like everyone gets involved with attacking and defending
  • Clancy
    7736 posts League Winner
    Last year I played 5atb all year, it was excellent. 5221 was my jam

This year attacking is much better than defending, at least compared to FUT17. I used to get 0-0 to penalties in WL about 5-6 games each weekend. I can count the number of times on one hand that has happened this year

I tried playing 5atb more than once this year, and it's terrible. Having 3 CBs is no better and possibly a little bit worse than having 2 CBs for defending.

442 is what I use now, best defending formation I have found and plays wide which I like