Would you pay real cash for a player?

Drizzt
453 posts Sunday League Hero
Hi peeps,

Just shooting the breeze and after reading threads on Belgium and lootboxes etc, someone mentioned that they had insider knowledge of potentially EA getting around lootboxes buy allowing people to buy coins and then packs or even players.

This got me thinking in that would I actually spend lets just say £100 on CR7 or £150 on Prime Gullit. The answer is yes, without a doubt.

Since Fifa 14, I've spent more money than I should on this game, however as I work hard and it's doesn't effect the bills, it's my treat to myself.

Every year I spend less and less on FP as the packs are ridiculous compared to previous years, however I also think it's because EA shifted the goal posts cleverly by increase ratings of players and SBCs so players that would normally cost 20k at this time are still 100k.

That said, I would have no problem at all in buying my players.

This would be the ultimate pay 2 win in someone ways, but isn't spending money on packs pay 2 win anyway? Even if you don't get great players, you're still getting cash towards getting them?

I know those that won't agree and I understand too why some would not agree, however great players do not make you a great player ( I know, ony qualified for WL twice in 2 years), however I have had fun playing due to getting Maradonna (95) which was my goal this year and to me it's about having fun. Listening to a lot of people, WL isn't fun but a grind so what is it you're grinding for? Better players isn't it? Take the unfun grind out and let people get what they want and enjoy. If your good at FIFA it wont effect you and this game really should cater to the masses not the small % of good/great players (yep I'm jealous and should git good? :wink: ).

Spending £200 on FP at the start of the game with 3 days head start, go my trading foot in the door, but even that I'm not good at.

TLDR. Would you buy players and how much would you spend real cash on them? What price ranges would be a general okay for all? Some have mentioned £25 max for an Icon. Would EA make more money if people could buy who they want?

Cheers and sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Skboseph
    318 posts Sunday League Hero
    Why would ea do that to them self they manipulated us all we are their sheep now ..but yeah I'd pay 100$ for a pack w 3 icons in it but I rather spend money them waist time so ...but there should be a icon limit
  • ozcs_69
    2995 posts National Call-Up
    yes
  • Ive never spent a single cent on FIFA Points and I still feel ripped off by this game lol
  • Drizzt
    453 posts Sunday League Hero
    Skboseph wrote: »
    Why would ea do that to them self they manipulated us all we are their sheep now ..but yeah I'd pay 100$ for a pack w 3 icons in it but I rather spend money them waist time so ...but there should be a icon limit

It depends if they don't have an option. Yes we are sheep, but I'm sure their internal metrics are showing a decrease in people buying packs. I know I haven't spent tons and I'm sure others don't spend anywhere as near as they used to. No facts on this :wink:

Not saying Lootboxes/packs are going to become a thing of the past, but I do feel there is a movement across the world re are they gambling and it is picking up steam.

Another thought, if the players you could buy were untradable, that would also mean benefit EA as it's a once a done deal.

Hate giving them ideas, but it won't be something they haven't thought about.

Even WOW eventually caved in and started selling coins.
  • Ryno
    6036 posts Big Money Move
    Itll never happen, but if you asked me 3 years ago? I definitely would have paid $100 for a CR7.
  • Hive
    662 posts An Exciting Prospect
    No way, never.
  • dieiscast
    366 posts Sunday League Hero
    I would probably do it... But for max. 10 USD for one of the best players!
  • Shehraj
    5733 posts Big Money Move
    Yeah, 10-15 bucks for a tradeable ronaldo at most, which will never happen. I cant justify putting tons of real money into a video game to be honest, especially fifa
  • Nogin182
    2290 posts Fans' Favourite
    So 100 dollars for nif cr7? How much will his tots be? Can you sell your nif cr7 to fund the toty cr7? Or does every card work in a otw way and upgrade for free every special card they get? Add an easy extra 100dollars for the upgradable card?
  • Dave
    914 posts Semi-Pro
    It depends on the price. o:)
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    This would be the worst thing to ever happen to Fifa
  • Realist
    3001 posts National Call-Up
    I wouldn’t. But I understand why some people would. GD would be flooded with even more whiny pay to win threads tho
  • Sirin
    2504 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ive never spent a single cent on FIFA Points and I still feel ripped off by this game lol
    DaveSaves wrote: »
    This would be the worst thing to ever happen to Fifa

• PelzyWelzy
    9180 posts League Winner
    Personally, I probably wouldn’t.. FP free for 17 months now and the temptation to spend isn’t really there anymore (was a right bandit for it in previous years and spent a small fortune).

However, I can’t lie and say that temptation wouldn’t get the better of me once or twice if this option was there. Knowing exactly what you were getting and for what amount makes it a viable option as a consumer - think half the problem with Fifa Points and the amounts we’re guilty of spending stems from the unknown.. we’re forever chasing something.

That being said I don’t think it would be a good addition to the game. The joy for many nowadays comes from the grInd - this would essentially take that away and create and even more concrete ‘pay to win’ mentality.

Good idea in principle, not so much in practise.
  • Kamilflage
    4524 posts National Call-Up
    They would never do it
  • Kamilflage
    4524 posts National Call-Up
    And yes I would at $100 for CR7
  • Futfanatic
    12242 posts Has That Special Something
    I would quit the day they do this.
  • Ballist1x
    1702 posts Play-Off Hero
    Yes but prices have to be realistic. Say £15 for Ronaldo Messi nif. Maybe £20-25 for icons etc.
  • Never spent a penny on FIFA, never will.
  • VladimirSochi
    571 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Would rather pay a monthly subscription to play UT and all packs can only be bought through coins earned or through SBCs and daily challenges honestly
  • BLUESBOY345
    1383 posts Play-Off Hero
    Possibly pay for an untradeable CR7
    Can’t see a CR7 being worth $25 and you sell that for 1.5 mil coins

Then again supply of CR7’s would probably be much higher and out weight demand past equilibrium meaning we see a much cheaper CR7 on the market.
    Realistically he would probably cost $100
  • ClerryJungle
    980 posts Professional
    Ive never spent a single cent on FIFA Points and I still feel ripped off by this game lol

Exactly this. Actually, I’ve probably spent about £30-£40 in total since FUT12 but not a penny since 15.

Still can’t get my head round why people feel the need to pay hundreds and even thousands of pounds to give them a better chance of winning at a video game
  • Schmucke13
    196 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I have always wondered this but why doesn't EA directly sell players? I understand is a profit issue I think, but how will us the users profit from this? And if they made the players you bought untradable would this solve the issue? I'm not asking for this to happen, I'm just curious?
  • Nervous_Nick
    5040 posts Big Money Move
    No. They should make packs less expensive or/and have way less rare gold cards in the game.
  • Ballist1x
    1702 posts Play-Off Hero
    Would rather pay a monthly subscription to play UT and all packs can only be bought through coins earned or through SBCs and daily challenges honestly

Don't be silly. Never mention subscription.

You already paid full price for the game why would you offer to pay monthly?
  • Schmucke13
    196 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Possibly pay for an untradeable CR7
    Can’t see a CR7 being worth $25 and you sell that for 1.5 mil coins

Then again supply of CR7’s would probably be much higher and out weight demand past equilibrium meaning we see a much cheaper CR7 on the market.
    Realistically he would probably cost $100

But why would I spend the 1.5 mil coins if I can buy it from EA? This is the part I don't understand. I think it's more a thing of not getting involved with this problem... Imagine the thousands of players asking for refunds once if the player does not perform like they thought it will be.
  • iggypop
    528 posts An Exciting Prospect
    its a computer game which costs up to £80 all content should be free!
  • LovelyVillain
    3579 posts National Call-Up
    iggypop wrote: »

All content was free, until they made UT specifically to sell packs. If they take away the packs, they can just go back to vanilla FIFA with H2H. Why waste their time upkeeping FUT servers when they make no extra money? The majority of money they make on Fifa comes from FUT Points, not the actual game.
  • MxM15
    831 posts Semi-Pro
    If i spend 150 euro on packs i can buy nif hamsik cause weight is terrible. So yes i would pay 150 euro for cr7 r96 or gullit all day long.
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    iggypop wrote: »

All content was free, until they made UT specifically to sell packs. If they take away the packs, they can just go back to vanilla FIFA with H2H. Why waste their time upkeeping FUT servers when they make no extra money? The majority of money they make on Fifa comes from FUT Points, not the actual game.

It's about making it easier to get the best players if you grind. Like look at the new cod. You can get supply drops and rare supply drops just by playing through contracts (or daily/weekly contracts and objectives). And sometimes they have a gun as a reward. I've spent nothing on WWII and have a lot of items, that in FIFA it's almost impossible to get if you don't spend money.