OT: Star Citizen / Development / Communication

VanBasten12
6784 posts Big Money Move
Been a backer of this for a long time now. In one way it's awesome to see how the game has progressed through the incredible backing from 2M+ people & funding of $183M+. On the other hand ... it's been a long development time.

but, the latest tweet ...

... is quite incredible how they communicate on what is being planned.

This is the roadmap per their site:
XB826Dv.png

As always, with EA not communicating anything to their customer base, they can certainly take a leaf out of other software developer's books.

Comments

• coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    What is the premise of the game?
  • VanBasten12
    Essentially a space MMO, with what they call a persistent universe - includes trading, missions, combat, racing and has a FPS included as well. Will have Squadron 42 as well - a story based single-player campaign.

It is an incredible looking game - some of the graphics is simply superb.
  • JoeBiden
    69 posts Park Captain
    tumblr_mbpe9otwWv1qa94h1o1_400.gif
  • VanBasten12
    @JoeBiden .... :lol:

Keep it up mate!!
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    Essentially a space MMO, with what they call a persistent universe - includes trading, missions, combat, racing and has a FPS included as well. Will have Squadron 42 as well - a story based single-player campaign.

It is an incredible looking game - some of the graphics is simply superb.

Guessing for PC? Does it have a release? It looks good :)

Incredible that it secured that much funding.
  • Orison
    73033 posts Icon
    edited April 2018
    @VanBasten12 I guess chuboi put it quite well on his podcast (think it was the one with Nepenthez), basically all these new developers have that kind of communication strategy, while EA and some others come from way back in the day and since the cash kept flowing in they never bothered to change and are now basically dinosaurs stuck in 2005 when it comes to communication.

I guess you can get away with this stuff if your end product is amazing. I mean just look at GTA Online, Rockstar doesn't communicate too much either, GTA Online celebrates pay2win or atleast pay2troll (which is basically the core of GTA lol)/pay2haveanadvantage like almost no other game, but the game itself is breathtaking and absolutely amazing so it netted Rockstar 5 billion dollars and therefore more than any other film/game/franchise in history and barely anyone is complaining about pay2win or a lack of communication :D
  • VanBasten12
    Yep - PC & there has been some issues with optimisation - therefore some serious requirements. Not as bad as PUBG though!

They have rolled out a few systems in the PU already, so it's playable as of right now.
  • VanBasten12
    @Orison - had not seen those comments and makes perfect sense when you hear/read that.

Re: GTA V ... it is incredible what they've done! A week or 2 back now, it was regarded as the most profitable entertainment product, ever. It's close to $6 billion now. And yep - I guess they also don't need to communicate anything, with #'s like that.

On SC & other like-minded funding games ... sure, you have to be way more open & honest on what's happening. I'm a subscriber too so have access to more info/areas/bla bla. You do watch some of the videos they output & it's ... just cool ... that they say openly how many bugs they've got to work through & "found this new bug", etc.
  • Orison
    73033 posts Icon
    @VanBasten12 the sad thing is Rockstar openly said that single player isn't their focus anymore since GTA Online is making them so much money. They openly said "❤️❤️❤️❤️ you" to everything that made them what they are and people still love them haha.

I think every developer has its faults, but while some can't do anything right, others can't do anything wrong. All about perception and EA fails hilariously in that area.
  • Azof
    20351 posts Club Captain
    Looks pretty ambitious but yet to prove its gonna be good
  • Fab
    19737 posts Club Captain
    Ah yes, I remember my mate backing this back in 2012 expecting to play it by the promised 2013/2014. Not sure if he's still interested 5 years later but we'll see if this fulfills its potential.
  • VanBasten12
    Orison wrote: »
    @VanBasten12 the sad thing is Rockstar openly said that single player isn't their focus anymore since GTA Online is making them so much money. They openly said "**** you" to everything that made them what they are and people still love them haha.

I think every developer has its faults, but while some can't do anything right, others can't do anything wrong. All about perception and EA fails hilariously in that area.

Geez ... that's kinda harsh - think there is still merit on having a single player mode in games.

And 100% agree with the developers / rose-coloured glasses view point. In some ways, SC can't do anything wrong. But they're not perfect.

Unfortunately EA are just simply 100% ignorant of the community.
  • VanBasten12
    Azof wrote: »

I can understand from an outsider's perspective, that it's "yet to be proven". The PU has been up for months now though and there have been tons of people playing already.

I have a Constellation - big ship, up to 4 people can man it. The kid played with some mates - multiplayer in the same ship. Huge fun!
  • VanBasten12
    Fab wrote: »
    Ah yes, I remember my mate backing this back in 2012 expecting to play it by the promised 2013/2014. Not sure if he's still interested 5 years later but we'll see if this fulfills its potential.

Oh yes ... is kind of a "let me still see what's happening with it ... !
  • Azof
    20351 posts Club Captain

I can understand from an outsider's perspective, that it's "yet to be proven". The PU has been up for months now though and there have been tons of people playing already.

I have a Constellation - big ship, up to 4 people can man it. The kid played with some mates - multiplayer in the same ship. Huge fun!

Any decent gameplay videos to show it to the likes of me who know nothing
  • Painter753
    8824 posts League Winner

Any decent gameplay videos to show it to the likes of me who know nothing
    Also curious. The premise sounds very good to me though
  • VanBasten12
    Trailer of the 3.0 release (a few month back):

... this has a

Faceware integration - love that Liam Cunningham is involved:

... Gary Oldman is in too:

... and Gillian Anderson - still looking good:

Cast also includes Mark Hamill, Mark Strong & John Rhys-Davies.

Someone did this top 10 ships from a while back (older footage - not the best, but does give an indication

... and this is 'new ships (and vehicles) from 3.0':

Finally on ships - this is freakin' huge:

Other bits:
    They've got this Mobi-Glass interface to control various aspects:

Some FPS gameplay:

Finally - this is a lengthier one! Game play from Citizen Con (their own conference):
  • VanBasten12
    @Azof @Painter753 ... hope those help. Have tried to find something that's not 1 hour each time :smiley:
  • Azof
    20351 posts Club Captain
    Il give it a watch in morning
  • Painter753
    8824 posts League Winner
    @Azof @Painter753 ... hope those help. Have tried to find something that's not 1 hour each time :smiley:
    Cool man appreciate it. Looks good, what’s the playerbase like?
  • VanBasten12
    Painter753 wrote: »
    Cool man appreciate it. Looks good, what’s the playerbase like?

A few years back they did a poll on demographics - median age was 23-27. Together with that, the majority of people are space fans (I read Star Wars before I saw the movie!), and would follow Chris Roberts (the creator) anywhere.

Their site is fantastic as well. They have built in organisations so you can either create your own, or join an existing one. There are structures within this - you can assign people as CEO, or to manage HR (responsibility for onboarding new members). Largest one at the moment - 17k+ members.

That freakin' huge video - it's long, but just skip through it. It is an immense ship, multiple people on board at the same time doing various things. At one point the guy says that this is what some of us older people would have dreamt about as a kid. Just awesome stuff & incredible looking.