OT: Gaming Monitor

Sirin
2527 posts Fans' Favourite
So i play on PS4 and i need a second place to play since the TV i play on is sometimes occupied by other people in the house. I'd like to have atleast a 27 inch one with a budget of max 300 euros.

Curious to hear what you guys use as well. Cheers

Comments

• Sirin
    Up
  • I use an aoc 24inch gaming monitor and I love it, ideal for when the missus is watching eastenders, emmerdale and corrie
  • Ryanomates
    1949 posts Fans' Favourite
    Not too sure myself, but based on my friends monitors for that budget you should look at 2k monitors and if you can afford it 4k, maybe reduce the size to 24' and a 4k should be achievable.
  • CharlieC
    7425 posts League Winner
    Sirin wrote: »
    So i play on PS4 and i need a second place to play since the TV i play on is sometimes occupied by other people in the house. I'd like to have atleast a 27 inch one with a budget of max 300 euros.

Curious to hear what you guys use as well. Cheers

I’m not being funny but these “other people” need to **** off and let you play on the big telly. There’s nothing decent on tv anyway these days apart from sport.
  • Retro1989
    5522 posts Big Money Move
    Ryanomates wrote: »
    Not too sure myself, but based on my friends monitors for that budget you should look at 2k monitors and if you can afford it 4k, maybe reduce the size to 24' and a 4k should be achievable.

Unless he plays on a PS4 Pro getting a 4K monitor is pointless.

@OP Take a look at the BenQ ones, those are highly rated.
  • Vaaass
    3047 posts National Call-Up
    Getting any type of "gaming" monitor is pointless on a console imo. Maybe on the PS4 pro or the Xbox One X but for the regular consoles, they're so weak they wouldn't benefit from any of the gaming features, let alone support them. Just get a regular monitor for half the price that doesn't have a particularly high response time

Although if you do get one get one that supports FreeSync as the Xbox consoles will support them soon, not sure about PlayStation though
  • Sirin
    Retro1989 wrote: »

Doesn't a high resolution screen still over better display than lower ones, even if it doesn't support 4k?
  • Sirin
    edited April 2018
  • Ryanomates
    1949 posts Fans' Favourite

Whilst I agree with your point, I think it's beneficial to future proof when buying a monitor. Especially when you consider the price for a decent non 4k one
  • Vaaass wrote: »
    Getting any type of "gaming" monitor is pointless on a console imo. Maybe on the PS4 pro or the Xbox One X but for the regular consoles, they're so weak they wouldn't benefit from any of the gaming features, let alone support them. Just get a regular monitor for half the price that doesn't have a particularly high response time

Although if you do get one get one that supports FreeSync as the Xbox consoles will support them soon, not sure about PlayStation though

my Xbox one is so much better on my monitor, maybe it's because my tv was ❤️❤️❤️❤️ lol but the picture quality is amazing on the monitor
  • Sirin
    Vaaass wrote: »

my Xbox one is so much better on my monitor, maybe it's because my tv was **** lol but the picture quality is amazing on the monitor

Do you have a link to the product mate? Also, do you notice a difference in responsiveness?
  • Retro1989
    5522 posts Big Money Move

Doesn't a high resolution screen still over better display than lower ones, even if it doesn't support 4k?

Playing at 1080p on a 4K screen will look blurry.
  • Sirin wrote: »

my Xbox one is so much better on my monitor, maybe it's because my tv was **** lol but the picture quality is amazing on the monitor

Do you have a link to the product mate? Also, do you notice a difference in responsiveness?

I'll have a look mate, the responsiveness is really improved to what i used to use

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/aoc-g2460pf-full-hd-24-led-gaming-monitor-10141938-pdt.html
    this is the one
  • Sirin

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/aoc-g2460pf-full-hd-24-led-gaming-monitor-10141938-pdt.html
    this is the one

Looks good i was just looking at the 27 inch version. Have you found any negatives so far?

this is the one

Looks good i was just looking at the 27 inch version. Have you found any negatives so far?

na apart from the built in speakers are pretty poor, but stick a decent sound brick it sounds great
  • Sirin

this is the one

na apart from the built in speakers are pretty poor, but stick a decent sound brick it sounds great

Ah that's not thr biggest issue then.

this is the one

Ah that's not thr biggest issue then.

it's better than any tv I've used, I used to use a 50inch tv until it packed up, the picture quality on the monitor is so much better
  • Phone
    94 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Monitors vastly improved my performance on ps4. Was having delay using the large screen and monitor seems to have 99% eradicate that... the 1% is, well.... EA being EA
  • Sirin
    JMorrisqpr wrote: »

Damn looks good, but 4k is no good then?
  • Retro_G
    33023 posts National Team Captain
    If you're not playing on an 4K HDR OLED, you're doing it wrong.
  • Sirin
    Retro_G wrote: »

My 67 inch TV is that, just need a monitor on the side.
  • Sirin
    Would 4-5 ms of input delay be good enough? Because then i might look for an IPS panel, they look better than TN ones imo
  • Fab
    19656 posts Club Captain
    Would 4-5 ms of input delay be good enough? Because then i might look for an IPS panel, they look better than TN ones imo

Yes. But I'd just take the cheaper TN panel if you're gonna sit right in front of it. You only notice the worse view looking from angles.
  • joehuk
    5460 posts Big Money Move

Eww playing any kind of games on a tv...

I've never been able to do it.

Pc monitor all the way ive tried my pc at 4k on my tv and it's just not the same i much prefer 1440p 144hz

Also tried Xbox on tv and it's just not comfy I prefer to be sat up right in my chair close to the screen over sofa 5m away lol.

But each to their own.

Op: zowies look decent if it's only for Xbox.

If you have a pc aswell deffo look at a 144hz I have 2 aoc 144hz freesync for my Xbox but also use it for 2nd pc screen.
  • Sirin
    Fab wrote: »

Yes. But I'd just take the cheaper TN panel if you're gonna sit right in front of it. You only notice the worse view looking from angles.

Aren't colors better as well?
  • Sirin
    joehuk wrote: »

Eww playing any kind of games on a tv...

I've never been able to do it.

Pc monitor all the way ive tried my pc at 4k on my tv and it's just not the same i much prefer 1440p 144hz

Also tried Xbox on tv and it's just not comfy I prefer to be sat up right in my chair close to the screen over sofa 5m away lol.

But each to their own.

Op: zowies look decent if it's only for Xbox.

If you have a pc aswell deffo look at a 144hz I have 2 aoc 144hz freesync for my Xbox but also use it for 2nd pc screen.

I only have a PS4 mate so i guess 144hz is useless for me?
  • joehuk
    5460 posts Big Money Move
    Yeah 144hz is pointless.

Just get a 60hz monitor.

As for display type TN is more responsive IPS generally have nicer colours me personally always prefer TN for gaming most newer TNs have game mode etc which can brighten the colours abit.

I was looking at zowies before getting the aoc
  • Sirin
    Still not sure haha