The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Thierry Henry's FC Dallas | Story Ended

Comments

• WestardLord
    1754 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 2018
    r44FWYQ.png
    Post edited by WestardLord on
  • WestardLord
    1754 posts Play-Off Hero
    tw09ZSi.png
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    What is on Keller's head?
  • WestardLord
    1754 posts Play-Off Hero
    lYBjF5s.png
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Some big challenges await the new coach after the squad has been cleaned up...
  • WestardLord
    1754 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 2018
    aTNJ9ZZ.png
    n9aLwYp.png

• DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Very great announcement. It seems Kries is beginning a rivalry. We'll show him on the pitch who is "the wrong man".
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    Interesting chice of manager but I like it alot. Thierry is somebody who knows the MLS and is a massive attraction for FC Dallas in their pursuit of players as well
  • WestardLord
    1754 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 2018
    Actually I was just about to do an Arsenal story with Henry, but then I thought what if something totally and completely ridiculous happened instead?
  • WestardLord
    1754 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 2018
    oUA76iF.png
    @subpop , @Danimal5981 ,@Virtual_K , @DonGabriel, @Greenman019 , @ASdoZeR , @JoshDFC, @SAFC1879, @bhurst99

Coach Thierry Henry will be answering your questions prior to the start of the 2018 season. Ask anything you want about Henry's future and the success of the club.

ECPfuNl.png
  • WestardLord
    1754 posts Play-Off Hero
    Also, at the risk of taking this way too seriously, I have edited the first post in this thread with my goals and rules for this story. Hopefully everyone can join in on the fun!
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Domenico Gabriel (Bild.de): "Dallas project has been going down the drain and we can attribute this situtation to Keller. You have been strongly linked to Arsenal and then shocked everyone coming to Dallas. Why? What are your goals for your first season? What motivated you to accept the job?"
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Oriol Tura (Diario Sport): "Congratulations Thierry. When you were a player, you had the chance to work with different prestigious managers like Wenger, Ancelotti, Rijkaard or Guardiola. This is your first job in this position. Which influence had these managers on you? What would you take from each of them?"
  • GabrieldeJesus
    3 posts Ball Boy
    edited April 2018
    Colin Scott (ESPN): "Thierry, welcome back. Obviously you have had previous experience in the MLS as a player. Do you think having a previous understanding gives you an advantage when managing an MLS club?"
    Post edited by GabrieldeJesus on
  • Virtual_K
    1777 posts Play-Off Hero
    Derek Henkle (AVP): "I think we're all aware of your pedigree as a player, Mr. Henry, but your managing experience is still to be proven. It seems a big decision to neglect your MLS roots in New York and come south to a team in disarray. To play devil's advocate, did you come to FC Dallas so that if you failed, you would have an excuse other than your lack of managing experience?"
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Hans-Georg Müller, Kicker: 'Welcome to the MLS. How do you intend to turn things around in Dallas? Will you always wear a jersey beneath, in case things aren't going your way and you need to take action on your own?'
  • JoshDFC
    2146 posts Fans' Favourite
    Josh Nelson Sky Sports News: How much did you learn as assistant of Belgium? Will you continue in your role their r are you fully committed to this project?
  • WestardLord
    1754 posts Play-Off Hero
    alqIUPT.png

fCj4Nm2.png
    Dallas project has been going down the drain and we can attribute this situtation to Keller. You have been strongly linked to Arsenal and then shocked everyone coming to Dallas. Why? What are your goals for your first season? What motivated you to accept the job?
    Managing Arsenal is very interesting, and I would hypothetically say yes if I was offered the job. But this came first. Clark Hunt and his team made a great pitch to me and I had a hard time saying no. But listen, I'm a competitor, and I don't back down from a challenge. With MLS, I had the opportunity to grow something and make something my own. When Hunt Sports approached me for this job they thought the club needed a better identity on the national and international stage. We agreed on a lot of things. They want a style of play that is attractive and effective and I matched that vision. I think that's also why Patrick was hired New York a few years ago.

I'll talk more about my goals for the season, but for now, I will say that I plan to continue some of the great work that has been done for years at FC Dallas, but also bring in my own flavor.

V4yZAPm.png
    Congratulations Thierry. When you were a player, you had the chance to work with different prestigious managers like Wenger, Ancelotti, Rijkaard or Guardiola. This is your first job in this position. Which influence had these managers on you? What would you take from each of them?
    I think I look to Arséne and Pep most as an influence on me. One of the greatest things Arséne did was move me from the wing to the striker position. He just knew what my natural position was and that was one of his skills; finding how players best fit into a club. He also nurtured young players early on and helped them grow. The younger players were never less important, they always took as much priority as the main squad. That's what I want to do for my players.

With Pep, I learned about total control on the pitch and confidence in play. He demands a lot from his team and it shows. His teams dominate possession and don't concede a lot of goals. He has a lot of discipline and is strict on his players when he needs to be. If I can do the same thing, it's a recipe for success.

HzH0ano.png
    Thierry, welcome back. Obviously you have had previous experience in the MLS as a player. Do you think having a previous understanding gives you an advantage when managing an MLS club?
    Yes, I think that helps a lot. If I didn't have that I would not have been offered the job. I know things are a little different here compared to Europe. I'm not American, but the team is American, and there's no reason for me to change that.

LlDhFhr.png
    I think we're all aware of your pedigree as a player, Mr. Henry, but your managing experience is still to be proven. It seems a big decision to neglect your MLS roots in New York and come south to a team in disarray. To play devil's advocate, did you come to FC Dallas so that if you failed, you would have an excuse other than your lack of managing experience?
    No, no, not at all. I don't want to deny the supporters' feelings on this matter, but the Hunt's are taking a risk with me. They took a risk with the last coach and it didn't pay off. I think this will be different, because I have more experience. I like the idea of growing something from the bottom up. Here in Dallas, I have that chance. We're not going to fail. In fact, it may take a little time, but we're going to be a world class team. That's a promise.

sjX7qs6.png
    Welcome to the MLS. How do you intend to turn things around in Dallas? Will you always wear a jersey beneath, in case things aren't going your way and you need to take action on your own?
    [laughing] As fun as that sounds, I don't think I will have to! I think the players will have enough skill to get the job done. But we need to develop that skill. I'm going to put more energy into developing our defensive line, because without that, there is no attack. The players are the most important part of any club. One thing that happened with the last coach is he let go of a lot of good players and didn't develop relationships with them. That is very important to me and something I want to focus on.

As we all know, the club lost the contract with AdvoCare. What I can bring to this team is my international experience and the relationships I have made over the years with people all over the world. We'll find a sponsor that believes in my vision you will see the results on the field.

N9rH4mS.png
    How much did you learn as assistant of Belgium? Will you continue in your role their r are you fully committed to this project?
    In working with the manager, comfort zone. I learned a lot about how to train and coach players 1-on-1. I also learned a lot about how to be a mentor to the players. You're not just a coach or a boss, you're a real guide for these young guys. It's a huge responsibility and working on that national team level made me appreciate that more.

I am in constant contact with Roberto [Martinez, the Belgium national team's manager] and he says I was instrumental in his coaching last year. I may return to that role in the future, but for now Roberto understands this is something I just have to focus on at the moment. So we'll see how it goes.
  • WestardLord
    1754 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 2018
    j87B740.png
    udYNwRk.png
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    I'll go with Jimmy Maurer.
  • Danimal5981
    2455 posts Fans' Favourite
    I will always go for a field player, never a goalkeeper: Acosta
  • subpop
    I am with @Danimal5981 . I always prefere a field player, not a goalkeeper. However, I don't know if a 22 year old Acosta is a good pick... perhaps too young. My vote goes to Acosta, but I'm not 100% convinced.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    I'm exactly with @subpop and think it's a difficult decision. I always prefer a player on the field as the captain but 22 is quite young to take such a responsibility for a club in this situation. But maybe that's exactly what it needs, a fresh, young, motivated player who can push his mates. Acosta has my vote!
  • WestardLord
    1754 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 2018
    wmTYPwE.png
    smzJJZ0.png
    bPLdQ3u.png
    xQhLQQM.png

• The future star and scouts could be very beneficial in growing the club, therefore my vote goes to Toyota
  • subpop
    Barcelona never had a sponsor until a few years ago... and we had to do it with Qatar, which obviously caused conflicts. I don't think the Emirates are any better.

Anyway, focusing on the choices. I go for the Japanese, who also create local employment and focus on the Academy.
  • WestardLord
    1754 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 2018
    Man, I probably should have added a "no sponsor" option too.

EDIT: Just added it, in case anyone wants that.
  • DonGabriel
    934 posts Semi-Pro
    Toyota reminds me of kaizen, which is the practice of continuous improvement. Well, I'll go for them.
  • WestardLord
    1754 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 2018
    OEd9Xyr.png
  • WestardLord
    1754 posts Play-Off Hero
    XJT72Ls.png