OT: Anyone here who is interested in space?

Santiago
21486 posts Club Captain
Always been abit curious but never really looked into it. Just watched the first few episodes of 'How the universe works' and my mind is already blown :D

Anyone here who likes learning about it aswell and maybe has some recommendations? (Books, movies, etc..)

Comments

• RadioShaq
    14808 posts Moderator
    Probably cosmos tv show.
  • Fab
    17513 posts World Class
    space cake? yeah sure im in
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    Fab wrote: »
    space cake? yeah sure im in

Meet me at the coffeeshop mate
  • Azof
    16114 posts World Class
    earth is only 6000 years old
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    Probably cosmos tv show.

Seems like a good show. Cheers
  • GoalGiant
    1694 posts Play-Off Hero
    Space is truely amazing, from one episode of a space documentary your mind is blown by how much we know. But what truely excites me, is what we don’t know. A lot of space is theory, with little evidence. And with the theory of the universe constantly expanding, it means that quite literally anything is possibly. Like, if you were to give a monkey a type writer for eternity, it would eventually rewrite all of Shakespeare’s work word by word correctly.
  • Murtee
    98 posts Park Captain
    Santiago wrote: »
    Always been abit curious but never really looked into it. Just watched the first few episodes of 'How the universe works' and my mind is already blown :D

Anyone here who likes learning about it aswell and maybe has some recommendations? (Books, movies, etc..)

“Fabric of the cosmos” is a nice read
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    GoalGiant wrote: »
    Space is truely amazing, from one episode of a space documentary your mind is blown by how much we know. But what truely excites me, is what we don’t know. A lot of space is theory, with little evidence. And with the theory of the universe constantly expanding, it means that quite literally anything is possibly. Like, if you were to give a monkey a type writer for eternity, it would eventually rewrite all of Shakespeare’s work word by word correctly.

Especially the fact that anything can happen blows my mind. It's insane but so amazing at the same time.
    And I hardly know anything yet.
  • Murtee
    98 posts Park Captain
    edited March 2018

It’s difficult to wrap your head on the idea of eternity because it means all possible things that can happen will happen eventually ..so anything anyone can ever think of
  • GoalGiant
    1694 posts Play-Off Hero
    Santiago wrote: »

Especially the fact that anything can happen blows my mind. It's insane but so amazing at the same time.
    And I hardly know anything yet.
    I also think it’s quite a scary concept too. Not too sure about what part of the world you live in, but may be worth buying a little telescope. Search around and you can get some good equipment for a very good price. See the stars and planets yourself! Wouldn’t recommend zooming in on Uranus though ;)

• Legegg
    1010 posts Professional
    All Brian Cox stuff. Also his podcast Infinite Monkey Cage often talks spacey wacey stuff. They have the most fascinating guests on talking stuff that blows your mind.
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    Azof wrote: »

You already had some of that space cake?
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    Yeah stuff like this always blows my mind. Used to watch many on YouTube in the early hours when younger.

The BBC Supermassive black holes documentary springs to mind
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move

Lol and it's flat

Fact
  • Legegg
    1010 posts Professional
    Cosmos series is really good too. I love how they explain things and put them in story form. Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a bit onboxious though.
  • Azof
    16114 posts World Class
    Legegg wrote: »
    Cosmos series is really good too. I love how they explain things and put them in story form. Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a bit onboxious though.

cant stand him tbh, love my some Cox though
  • Legegg
    1010 posts Professional
    Legegg wrote: »

cant stand him tbh, love my some Cox though

Just noticed I spelt obnoxious wrong. But yeah he really is. Not so bad in Cosmos but it definitely comes across at times that he's a bit of a twunt. Cox is all genuine enthusiasm and a humble mass of knowledge. He's the space Attenborough. Love him and his series are amazing.