The FIFA World Cup 2018 prediction thread.

Santiago
21486 posts Club Captain
320px-Fifa_World_Cup_Russia_2018_logo.png

It's that time again and we have a lot of good matches this year. Some groups are very hard to call.
I am very curious to see all of your predictions.

Just a few rules:
-Don't * on people for their prediction. Feel free to discuss why or why not you agree with their picks but let's remember it's a prediction and everyone can pick whatever they want.
-Use spoiler tags or else the whole page is gonna be full of pictures.

This should be fun.
Link: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/world-cup-2018-wallchart-predictor/

I suggest we all post in this format:

Round of 16:
2ZtDUsz.png

Quarter finals:
3U9ZGFP.png

Semi finals:
0MLpPLi.png

Winner:
YeOAajB.png

If anyone finds a better predictor make sure to post the link. FIFA used to do one which was way easier to screenshot but I don't think they made one yet this year.

Comments

• Färjestad
    2090 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ola Toivonen to lift the trophy and get the golden boot
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    Belgium won't get to the final.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    LeonidasJB wrote: »

They definitely could imo. Then again if that Brazil vs Belgium game does happen it would be extremely hard to call. Same with the France game.

I think it's fair to say they have a chance though
  • Choepiechakie
    31099 posts National Team Captain
    Mbappe will be POTT
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    But feel free to share your own predictions I guess.
  • NornIron
    11070 posts Has That Special Something
    My semi finals are.
    France v Brazil
    Spain v Germany

Very hard to pick but I think Germany will win it.
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    Santiago wrote: »

They definitely could imo. Then again if that Brazil vs Belgium game does happen it would be extremely hard to call. Same with the France game.

They definitely have the players.
    They are probably the best outside bet.
    But I just can't see them getting to the final because they don't have that WC thing.... experience, pedigree or that thing that matters when it comes to the actual WC Finals.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain

But I just can't see them getting to the final because they don't have that WC thing.... experience, pedigree or that thing that matters when it comes to the actual WC Finals.

I think it will all come down to their team spirit. Individually they are great but as a team they lack. If they get that right for the world cup I stick to my prediction but if they don't it might become a very hard task for them.

In that case I could even see England becoming first in the group (I think England have a great team actually) .
  • Crazy Creaky Jr
    2545 posts Fans' Favourite
    RIP Netherlands...
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    edited March 2018
    Also main reason I created this thread was to see who people picked to survive the groups, I am curious. Especially for:

A)
    Russia
    Saudi Arabia
    Uruguay
    Egypt

B)
    Portugal
    Spain
    Morocco
    Iran

D)
    Argentina
    Iceland
    Croatia
    Nigeria

• Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    edited March 2018
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    edited March 2018

I think it will all come down to their team spirit. Individually they are great but as a team they lack. If they get that right for the world cup I stick to my prediction but if they don't it might become a very hard task for them.

In that case I could even see England becoming first in the group (I think England have a great team actually) .

England have a woeful team imo.
    The least excited I have been for a WC. I think we might sneak through the group and at very best get past the 2nd round, and if we do get to the QF that will be an amazing achievement with the players we have nowadays.

Belgium really need to gel as a team.

I think Germany are favourites.
    France, Brazil next best.
    Argentina, Spain, Italy and Portugal are next best.
    Belgium are the dark horse.
  • FIFA Legend
    727 posts Semi-Pro
    edited March 2018
    Since there’s no really one team to fear this year. It’s a hard choice. I’m going Argentina, Messi is in good form and has a better cast than CR7. Germany is older, Spain hasn’t regained its form. Brazil is too much Neymar dependent.

I can see France doing well, but who’s the leader of the team? Usually there’s that one guy. Lahm, Cannavaro, Cafu, Zidane. You know that one guy that demands excellence from the rest.
  • RebelRob
    4971 posts National Call-Up
    All I can see is England and Argentina having poor showings, and France and Germany doing well. I'd say it's between France and Germany to win.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    I mean England fans are abit too pessimistic. I don't think they play that bad at all.
    They got a decent result against Brazil and Germany aswell.
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    I mean England fans are abit too pessimistic. I don't think they play that bad at all.

Friendly results count for nothing though.
    Teams play lesser players, new tactics and stuff, result isn't important.
    It can be compared to FUT....
    If I face @EddieFicio in a Singles match I might beat him because he is just playing for fun and trying some new players/formation/tactics.
    I play him in WL and he will absolute destroy me because now he is playing properly and really going for it with his proper players and set up.
  • LeonidasJB wrote: »

If I face @EddieFicio in a Singles match I might beat him because he is just playing for fun and trying some new players/formation/tactics.
    I play him in WL and he will absolute destroy me because now he is playing properly and really going for it with his proper players and set up.

Yep, and friendlies normally have like 10 subs you can use. Coaches are trying to make cuts and test out new players.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain

Absolutely but this counts for England aswell. Not sure about the Germany game but you guys didn't even play Kane or Alli against Brazil if I recall correctly.
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    Netherlands to win it :trollface:
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class

Absolutely but this counts for England aswell. Not sure about the Germany game but you guys didn't even play Kane or Alli against Brazil if I recall correctly.

I don't even know tbh.
    I dont watch International Friendlies. They have no meaning and are often incredibly boring.

I rate Kane, Sterling, Walker, Rashford, Alli and Dier, the rest are very average at best.
  • TwoZebras
    5320 posts Big Money Move
    Messi will drag Argentina to another final, but Higuain will bottle all the big chances again
  • ORANGEeffect05
    19945 posts Club Captain
    TwoZebras wrote: »
    Messi will drag Argentina to another final, but Higuain will bottle all the big chances again

Messi missed a big opportunity in that final as well
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain

I don't even know tbh.
    I dont watch International Friendlies. They have no meaning and are often incredibly boring.

I rate Kane, Sterling, Walker, Rashford, Alli and Dier, the rest are very average at best.

Just curious though why does most English people think they will just fail? I mean there must be a different reason than results.

You guys had a flawless qualification and in friendlies you don't perform bad.
    As for your last sentence I agree but I think that is no reason to give up already.

The 2014 Dutch team was the definition of average really and look how far we made it. England could easily do the same.
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    edited March 2018

I don't even know tbh.

Just curious though why does most English people think they will just fail? I mean there must be a different reason than results.

As for your last sentence I agree but I think that is no reason to give up already.

The 2014 Dutch team was the definition of average really and look how far we made it. England could easily do the same.

On paper there is at least 8 better teams.
    We notoriously balls it up at the finals even when playing well.
    We have to be realistic and recognise that some nations like France, Germany and Brazil have 2 XI as good as our first XI.
    Southgate as a manager is not only boring but also inexperienced.
    I will be very proud if we make QFs.
    Wouldn't be surprised if we bailed out in the group's though.
    I expect 2nd round KO.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    I mean yeah but once again most of these were the same for The Netherlands back then.
    You have to hope for the best really.

There is no chance you guys go out in the group. I'll eat a shoe if that happens.
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    I mean yeah but once again most of these were the same for The Netherlands back then.
    You have to hope for the best really.

There is no chance you guys go out in the group. I'll eat a shoe if that happens.

Can't wait to see the video!!

We got knocked out in the group's in Brazil.
    We are probably even weaker now than we was then.

I know it is football and even Greece managed to win the Euro's that time. 2004 was it?
    After 32 yrs of suffering, I can't bring myself to get any optimism for England in tourneys.
  • Finesse_4days
    6562 posts Big Money Move

I don't even know tbh.

people think we will fail because they are either pessimistic to avoid potential disappointment ,or because of the Iceland shambles that woy hodgson and joe hart caused by being just as inept as each other.
    i think we will beat tunisa and panama easily maybe only 1 or 2 0 nill but they wont create many chances, then i think we will draw to Belgium. Then we will beat Poland or Columbia in a close game where kane comes up clutch, then we will loose to Germany in a very close and boring game. It will be a Belgium spain final with spain the winners.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    edited March 2018
    I mean yeah but Tunisia and Panama... :D @LeonidasJB
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year

England have a woeful team imo.
    The least excited I have been for a WC. I think we might sneak through the group and at very best get past the 2nd round, and if we do get to the QF that will be an amazing achievement with the players we have nowadays.

Belgium really need to gel as a team.

I think Germany are favourites.
    France, Brazil next best.
    Argentina, Spain, Italy and Portugal are next best.
    Belgium are the dark horse.

It won't be a squeeze through the group, it will be a formality.

Last 16 Vs Colombia or Poland is winnable even with our lacklustre team.

The quarters is a reasonable expectation given the draw. It will be tough to get any further so quarters will be acceptable but not an amazing achievement.
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    I mean yeah but Tunisia and Panama... :D @LeonidasJB

Costa Rica 2014.
    Iceland 2016.
    Scotland away in qualifying. I mean we nearly lost to barely a pub side. :wink: