I'm older - why do people say tbf and tbh at the end of literally every thought they have?

Absting159
6677 posts Moderator
edited March 2018
I'm just curious where this trend started. . .it reminds of my generation, or maybe just teenagers and young adults overuse of the word "like" ... far too much in normal communication.

Example: tbf, I like, honestly think that, like, this game is pretty like rubbish sometimes. . .tbh.

Lol. Just a humorous observation of mine today.

Now, I fully recognize that I over-use lol when texting and on here. I type that ALOT. I feel that's kinda what tbh is for you guys that use it, haha. Oh, and haha. I do that alot too. It's like filler text.

Comments

• mjs4p
    11088 posts Has That Special Something
    Do they say it, or is it only in written thought?

I see it written much more than I hear it said.
  • WFCBagnall
    69549 posts Moderator
    Not sure tbh
  • Fab
    17530 posts World Class
    Imo tbf tbh
  • Absting159
    6677 posts Moderator
    I mean on forums and written. . not spoken. haha. Dangit - I can't stop, hahaha. . DAMNIT AGAIN.
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    edited March 2018
    I hope this fact you started your next sentence with "lol" is ironic.

Edit: tbh I got carried away and didn't read the bottom part.
  • Absting159
    6677 posts Moderator
    Peter wrote: »

No, its a problem haha
    GOSH DARNIT. It's like putting a period at the end of a sentence. My fingers just do it.
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    I use lol on here but would never use in real life
  • Peter
    Absting159 wrote: »

No, its a problem haha
    GOSH DARNIT. It's like putting a period at the end of a sentence. My fingers just do it.

Your fingers shouldn't be doing anything with periods.
  • Absting159
    6677 posts Moderator
    This thread is going to be entertaining. Especially because as I typed out my thought I realized I do it soooooo much with LOL and haha.
  • Knowlesdinho
    10154 posts Has That Special Something
    I use tbf and tbh a lot and we’re of a similar age. It’s used to emphasise a point I think.

I do a lot of public speaking, it took me years to train myself not to start a speech with the word “so”.

Sometimes I think certain speech becomes a bad habit we slip into!
  • TwoZebras
    5320 posts Big Money Move
    I'm 32 and use tbh and tbf all the time

Send help
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    Americans like to end a sentence with period
  • ImmigrantMentality
    5864 posts Big Money Move
    who gives a toss. stop crying about nothing
  • Absting159
    6677 posts Moderator
    @Knowlesdinho Yeah, I agree.

I think I type haha and lol as a defense mechanism so that people don't take it to seriously, lol. OMG - I'm not removing them because it just gets typed before my mind realizes it.
  • Peter
    I use tbf and tbh a lot and we’re of a similar age. It’s used to emphasise a point I think.

I do a lot of public speaking, it took me years to train myself not to start a speech with the word “so”.

I say "so" far too much. Not in general conversation, but like when I'm about to start talking to a group as a whole. It's sort of like a pre-cursor that gives people a chance to start paying attention.
  • Absting159
    6677 posts Moderator
    @Benn @ImmigrantMentality

Do you two ever just laugh or smile? I wasn't complaining at all - infact called myself out on the things I do too. I just find it funny and I DO IT TOO.

Lighten up. It's a forum, you two can calm yourselves.
  • TwoZebras
    5320 posts Big Money Move

I think I type haha and lol as a defense mechanism so that people don't take it to seriously, lol. OMG - I'm not removing them because it just gets typed before my mind realizes it.

Lol I do it so I don't come across as overly sarcastic
  • Absting159
    6677 posts Moderator

I say "so" far too much. Not in general conversation, but like when I'm about to start talking to a group as a whole. It's sort of like a pre-cursor that gives people a chance to start paying attention.

I think I do this too. I work with a lady who, rather than taking second to gather her thoughts, will just audibly say ummmmmmmmm. . .until she knows what she's going to say next. It's funny once you notice it.
  • Peter

I think I do this too. I work with a lady who, rather than taking second to gather her thoughts, will just audibly say ummmmmmmmm. . .until she knows what she's going to say next. It's funny once you notice it.

It's like she's holding her place to talk so you can't interject.
  • Peter
    TwoZebras wrote: »

Lol I do it so I don't come across as overly sarcastic

I think really they replace the smile you would have while saying it in real life.

In text format, without a haha or lol things can very easily just be taken very literally.
  • Knowlesdinho
    10154 posts Has That Special Something

Somebody pointed it out to me once, and I just had to stop doing it. It’s always in my head when I’m about to start speaking, I must look constipated to the audience whilst I have my internal struggle to not start with “so!”
  • RandomLhama83
    10092 posts Has That Special Something
    you made a thread about this/? tf ?
  • Absting159
    6677 posts Moderator
    @Peter

Yes, to the lady at work - she hates when others talk. AND yes to replacing a smile, haha.
  • ImmigrantMentality
    5864 posts Big Money Move

Do you two ever just laugh or smile? I wasn't complaining at all - infact called myself out on the things I do too. I just find it funny and I DO IT TOO.

i'm probably the most happy go-lucky person you would ever meet. stop trying to police language.

i don't care what you find funny.
  • BrentfordFC
    11616 posts Has That Special Something
    Jog on mert :trollface:
  • Santiago
    21498 posts Club Captain
    Good question tbf
  • I’m my line of work, saying TBH, means you have been dishonest at some point. It’s a big no, no when building partnerships or providing feedback.
  • Santiago
    21498 posts Club Captain
    I’m my line of work, saying TBH, means you have been dishonest at some point. It’s a big no, no when building partnerships or providing feedback.

I mean who uses that at work anyways...those are things you don't use in a professional environment.
  • Absting159
    6677 posts Moderator

i'm probably the most happy go-lucky person you would ever meet. stop trying to police language.

i don't care what you find funny.

To be this upset or bothered about someone posting something to start a conversation, you clearly are a happy go lucky person.

Not once did I state I wanted people to stop saying it. Not once did I try and say it was wrong . In fact, I pointed out that I do it too in a different way. So why don't you take a minute to read my post and understand what I actually said before throwing accusations and childish responses.
  • Diggy
    13618 posts Has That Special Something
    TJT

To justify themselves