The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & PC and includes the changes listed here.

ha032742
35721 posts Moderator
Want to try this as a second formation for next WL as it means I can shoehorn Gullit, Matthaus and Vieira in the same time.

Any advice on how to use it effectively please?

I know @Yoshi runs it...anyone else?

Comments

• Cheetah Thumbs
    4405 posts National Call-Up
    I use it sometimes in WL when I need to hold a lead. I also find it really hard to play against.
  • ha032742
    35721 posts Moderator
    I use it sometimes in WL when I need to hold a lead. I also find it really hard to play against.

Same, came up against it and struggled hence me jumping on the bandwagon :D
  • MikeyP_FC
    13565 posts Has That Special Something
  • Whoman
    5571 posts Big Money Move
    edited March 2018
    Been using it pretty much since mid October, admittedly i dont play WEL but am D1 with it and can comfortably win the DKO. Anyway, a few things from my experience:

1) You need either 2 really good CDMs that can cover a lot of ground or one of those and a CM/CAM type when you want to have 1 go forward. I play Petit and PTG Sergej

2) I prefer true CAMs on the wide spots, have Prime Rui and PTG Giuliano. But it also works well with tall strikers/wingers like Bale (i sub him on at LCAM) and i bet BTD Schürrle works nicely

3) Give your CAMs free roam, manually cut inside and tell your FBs to overlap. You get nice triangles for buildup and final third. Don't always go for the direct 1-2 but use the 3rd guy. F.e. pass with CAM to CDM or ST, then pass to marauding fullback

4) There is then a ton of open space inside to cut or bring you ZDM into play.

5) I like to use a big targetman up front and a faster player at the other ST to go into space

IMO it is a versatile Formation that is tons of fun going forward and decent enough defensively. Not gonna have that one exploit-thing you can use over and over but for me that is an idiotic approach anyway in a game ...

It is very good against high pressure 41212(2) since you can build triangles near the sideline and you get many Counterattacks late while leading where the weakside CAM will be wide open.
  • Currieman
    4991 posts Big Money Move
    I've been using it for a few months as well now and it is brilliant. I think it gives the best balance in terms of being great for attacking and defending.

Like @Whoman said I think you need 2 very good CDMs. I have Prime Vieira and have recently used either Paulinho or Bakayoko for chem purposes. Paulinho is average but good enough to do a job and Bakayoko is perfect because he just makes tackle after tackle even if his passing is fairly poor. Vieira is absolutely amazing obviously so this helps.

The CAMs I use are usually very quick and are on free roam which I find is needed as they make great overlapping runs into the box. If you then have the full backs on overlap it gives you even more options and feels like having 6 strikers at times without being detrimental to your defence as the 2 CDMs stay back (for me anyway).

The only issue I ever have with it is the lack of a central CAM. Sometimes if I am losing I change to 352 in the second half as it is very similar except that it gives you the central CAM. 4222 it does take time to get used to the wide CAMs but when you have got used to it it's brilliant.
  • ha032742
    35721 posts Moderator
    Currieman wrote: »
    I've been using it for a few months as well now and it is brilliant. I think it gives the best balance in terms of being great for attacking and defending.

Like @Whoman said I think you need 2 very good CDMs. I have Prime Vieira and have recently used either Paulinho or Bakayoko for chem purposes. Paulinho is average but good enough to do a job and Bakayoko is perfect because he just makes tackle after tackle even if his passing is fairly poor. Vieira is absolutely amazing obviously so this helps.

The CAMs I use are usually very quick and are on free roam which I find is needed as they make great overlapping runs into the box. If you then have the full backs on overlap it gives you even more options and feels like having 6 strikers at times without being detrimental to your defence as the 2 CDMs stay back (for me anyway).

The only issue I ever have with it is the lack of a central CAM. Sometimes if I am losing I change to 352 in the second half as it is very similar except that it gives you the central CAM. 4222 it does take time to get used to the wide CAMs but when you have got used to it it's brilliant.

My only worry like you said is the lack of a central CAM.
  • alex1987
    5711 posts Big Money Move
    I was actually thinking of trying this for a 4222:
    Handanovic
    Alex Sandro - Chielini - Benatia - FB Bruno Peres
    89 Verratti - PTG Savic
    FB Di Maria FB Felipe Anderson
    92 Cavani - eMOTM Immobile
  • Whoman
    ha032742 wrote: »

On free Roam the CAMs get there plenty, especially if you manually cut inside at some point, because then they will stay central as you work the ball around on the other side. Rui Costa is basically my work horse but still gets a goal every other game mainly from long shots.

Alternatively, try one of the strikers on False 9/Stay central (someone like ADP, Ben Yedder or Giuliano), especially when leading. I often sub out Van Basten at the 60th and then use Giuliano PTG at LST on False 9, sub in Bale at LAM to get behind him on the overlap. Or set one of the CDMs to going forward, especially when loosing in the 2nd half.

• BaseCamp
    1235 posts Professional
    I played it the first time this weekend and did quite well with it. For me the main things I found that would be necessary are very good defensive CDMs and you need a Striker who can hold up play. There will be a lot of times when you've just got you 2 strikers up infront of the box. My TOTY Ron was great in this formation. I found my OTW Neymar who I played at LST underwhelming compared to how effective he is in formations like 41212. Bale at LCAM was a stand out for me as he can play both sides of the pitch pretty well. I found that helped me out a lot defensively.
  • Dead Whip
    567 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Been using it for months

Have prime vieira and matthaus at cdm with adp and salah as wide cams with dinho and Henry up top

It’s majestic
  • ha032742
    35721 posts Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Bump, any player instructions you guys would recommend? Also if anyone has CTs they wouldn’t mind sharing it’d be appreciated as it’d be a good starting point even though I’ll probably tweak them a little.
  • Orison
    51058 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    Only thing that worries me about the 442 and the 422 is the gap between the strikers and CM's. It can sometimes be awkward to string together passes

What's it like compared to the 4231?

• MikeyP_FC
    13565 posts Has That Special Something
    A lot use Henry RCAM in 4222. Think he’s the best available?
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    What custom tactics are you guys using? Does having low passing help with the gap between the strikers and CDM's?
  • ha032742
    35721 posts Moderator
    Orison wrote: »

Nice one, didn’t check to see if he was on :)
  • Diggy
    13976 posts Has That Special Something
    This is what I use

60 40 O
    40 55 55 O
    60 60 55 C

CDMs SB MM
    CAMs FR GITBFC SF
    ST PTBL

Low pressure don’t work for me in this formation because of th gap & using these CTs the CAMs play more central for me

I’ve tweaked & tweaked & this is what works for me
  • CtldChaos
    2191 posts Fans' Favourite
    ha032742 wrote: »
    Currieman wrote: »

Set the bigger of the strikers to "False 9" They will fill into that gap no problem and the "Get in Behind" jackrabbit striker will clear out the CBs to give them some space. Think Henry or Bergkamp type for the "False 9" and a Auba or Jesus for the jackrabbit.

If you really want to play in that gap, also set one of your CDMs to "Balanced" they will also get in there for the connections.
  • Whoman
    edited March 2018
    I think i use 65 for both presure/agression, slightly narrower (40-45), Passing 65/35.
    RB go forward, LB balanced, both CDMs balanced, both CAM's free Roam. Prefer a Target Man LST and Fast striker RST, but a lot of combinations work.

There's no reason to set the CDMs to stay back. Both on balanced will still leave 1 back enough or the opposite CB will stay back accordingly. Even with both FBs bombing forward (why, yes, of course you should) you almost never get countered. Also, the CAMs move inside just fine if you don't blindly do 1-2 at the sideline but dribble inside every once in a while, after that he'll stay more central for the rest of the posession. In general holding up play every so often is your friend, if you want rapid 1-2 from one box to the other you might just want to stick with the 41212(2) ...

I won't pretend i am a great player or win a **** ton, but getting countered really isn't a particular issue with the formation and setting both CDMs to stay back and (as i have seen from some) even tell the FBs to stay back is basically castrating the formation offensively.
    MikeyP_FC wrote: »
    A lot use Henry RCAM in 4222. Think he’s the best available?

Quite likely, don't why he wouldn't be pretty much the best option anywhere on offense ;) Personally i have been getting on fine with Prime Rui there for like 4 months now. Strong enough to slow down play, fast enough to move into space, great shooting (and like i said, you can get the CAMs central enough to shoot, good crossing as well and the double 4*.
  • ha032742
    35721 posts Moderator
    Enjoying using it so far...can be difficult to get things going in delay sometimes though.
  • Antparry92
    18436 posts World Class
    Tempted to try a fitness squad with it, thinking with Honda and Gignac
  • AGÜEROOOOOOO
    70 posts Park Captain
    It's full and boring. Spam 1-2 passes all game. Same as all 442-41212(2). Best formation for fun is 343.
  • Bob_Dylan
    19409 posts World Class
    was gonna try this as well to get Larsson, Ibra, Kaka, Giovinco and Pirlo in the same team. Just not sure about Kaka as a wide cam.
  • Sted79
    484 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Great formation gets a bit stale tho tbh (lol)
    451 over runs it as does wide 41212
  • Dutch007
    3138 posts National Call-Up
    Bday Toure and Bday Sissoko as the 2 CDM's...would that work?
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    Been using it in WL, it's class.

Upped pressure and aggression to 60, have one striker (Henry) as false 9 and one CDM with no instructions.

It has sorted out the "gap" and made the formation more fluid for me.