Cut my losses or just finish Base Icon Upgrade?

alanrudy
1557 posts Play-Off Hero
I've done the 83 and halfway through the 84 before I started to think about which baby icon I'd actually want. Besides the obvious best ones that I think are a long shot for me to get, I'd really only want Blanc in my squad. I know we can use an icon as sbc for another but the only SBC ones I'd be in range to work for require a central position so there's no guarantee of that in the upgrade. Should I just stop trying to finish this SBC and save towards Blanc or just finish because I've sunk coins into it already?

Comments

• Leessa
    259 posts Sunday League Hero
    For the amount youd save for blanc you could probably use this baby added and get a decent prime. Depends what you really want though
  • Skely
    983 posts Professional
    It’s fun do pack one icon... at least was for me. My first packed icon ever... was ❤️❤️❤️❤️ and I will never
    Use... besides put in a sbc... but was cheap...
  • SuperJames9005
    3285 posts National Call-Up
    edited March 2018
    I get Hagi n Vieira. Will open my 3rd.

Total cost under 500k for 3 icons because I prepare ahead and put in monthly rewards I never use.

If you are now starting from scratch. It can be risky.
  • alanrudy
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for the help. Yeah, it's a tough one, I guess I may try to go for it. I had no idea a promotion like this was coming.
  • Tboon
    5034 posts Big Money Move
    alanrudy wrote: »
    Thanks for the help. Yeah, it's a tough one, I guess I may try to go for it. I had no idea a promotion like this was coming.

And who did you get?
  • alanrudy
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited March 2018
    Tboon wrote: »

And who did you get?

Still working on the 85's cause I'm short on coins and need to get in my weekend league, ha. Will post here when I get it. I've been kinda regretting it since I'm buying in a sellers market but since I had already did the 83s before I really thought it through I guess it makes sense.
    Post edited by alanrudy on
  • alanrudy
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited March 2018
    Finished it. LB Maldini. Not happy. Was already happy with Alex Sandro and need him for IF Benatia Chem, I swear EA knew this. Would've been more happy with ANY other position, especially the 26/40 central positions ones if I didn't like stats and wanted to chuck into sbcs I'm interested in. Regret it, shouldn't have even started on the 83s before thinking these base icons through.
  • GoalGiant
    1804 posts Play-Off Hero
    Finished it. LB Maldini. Not happy. Was already happy with Alex Sandro and need him for IF Benatia Chem, I swear EA knew this. Regret it, shouldn't have even started on the 83s.

Maldini is a solid LB a card! May lose chemistry, but sure you can work around it. Need me to have a look at your squad and see if we can fit everything you want in it mate?

• byronw1983
    1610 posts Play-Off Hero
    Finished it. LB Maldini. Not happy. Was already happy with Alex Sandro and need him for IF Benatia Chem, I swear EA knew this. Would've been more happy with ANY other position, especially the 26/40 central positions ones if I didn't like stats and wanted to chuck into sbcs I'm interested in. Regret it, shouldn't have even started on the 83s before thinking these base icons through.

Baby Maldini is one of the best icons in the game
  • alanrudy
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited March 2018
    GoalGiant wrote: »
    Finished it. LB Maldini. Not happy. Was already happy with Alex Sandro and need him for IF Benatia Chem, I swear EA knew this. Regret it, shouldn't have even started on the 83s.

Maldini is a solid LB a card! May lose chemistry, but sure you can work around it. Need me to have a look at your squad and see if we can fit everything you want in it mate?

I appreciate that @GoalGiant , no doubt Maldini is a true Icon, but just at LB wasn't a position I needed, especially with being very happy with Alex Sandro and chem with IF Benatia. Here's my squad with having to sell Bailly to turn in Bailly in the 85squad, Dybala untradeable and switch him to cam and IF Allan to CDM.

Maxthon_Snap20180318060939.jpg
  • alanrudy
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero
    byronw1983 wrote: »

Baby Maldini is one of the best icons in the game

A true Icon @byronw1983 , but as you see my squad, not a good fit/need compared to like 6-7 other positions.
  • GoalGiant
    1804 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nice team mate, used a lot of them players myself so have a real feel for you team. Your defence hybrid does create chem problems, but it’s so strong I don’t wanna disturb it. For your LCB to be full chem, you’d need an Italian there. Or maybe even a Napoli link? Not sure how well off you are with coins, but maybe IF Koulabily or even save up for TOTY Bonucci. I love Benatia and know how much he means To a team! :blush:
  • i packed maldini too, using him as a right back, he's been amazing.
  • Idek
    17630 posts World Class
    Playing Maldini as rcb on 7 chem looks like a no brainer to me
  • alanrudy
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited March 2018
    Nice team mate, used a lot of them players myself so have a real feel for you team. Your defence hybrid does create chem problems, but it’s so strong I don’t wanna disturb it. For your LCB to be full chem, you’d need an Italian there. Or maybe even a Napoli link? Not sure how well off you are with coins, but maybe IF Koulabily or even save up for TOTY Bonucci. I love Benatia and know how much he means To a team! :blush:

Thanks for squad praise. Koulibaly is a beast but not a fan of the high/high work rate, we'll see. And down to a couple thousand coins for now, lol.
    Idek wrote: »
    Playing Maldini as rcb on 7 chem looks like a no brainer to me

Yeah, not a bad idea, but that lowers chem for Valencia as well.
    Post edited by alanrudy on
  • CamOrn
    25 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Don't do it... I got Desailly, no point having a icon as a defender or gk
  • Idek
    17630 posts World Class
    edited March 2018
    CamOrn wrote: »
    Don't do it... I got Desailly, no point having a icon as a defender or gk

Lol Desailly is one of the best ones you could have got, defensive icons are still useful for links, gk's are pretty pointless though
  • Boysie91
    15972 posts World Class
    He is one of the best CB on the game with 7 chem I would be very happy with that :o
  • GoalGiant
    1804 posts Play-Off Hero
    Not sure I wanna encourage my pet hate, but maybe sub Maldini on at start of game?
  • Boysie91
    15972 posts World Class
    Not sure I wanna encourage my pet hate, but maybe sub Maldini on at start of game?

He wouldn't even get 7 chem subbing a player in. 7 chem on the starting eleven though
  • CamOrn
    25 posts Last Pick at the Park
    With how defending is there's no point having an icon back there... Any other icon that was a midfielder or striker I would of been happy with
  • Shutup
    3821 posts National Call-Up
    CamOrn wrote: »
    With how defending is there's no point having an icon back there... Any other icon that was a midfielder or striker I would of been happy with

Silly statement.
  • alanrudy
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero

Lol, I get mad at myself for the Dybala Allan switch too but Benatia is a great CB and Dybala untradeable so it works. Who would you sub Maldini for?

There's not a formation with a LB and a LWB is there?
  • Markman007
    4966 posts National Call-Up
    Base Maldini can be used as one of the best CBS in the game, even at 7 chem. It's a really good pull!
  • alanrudy
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero
    Just wanted to thank y'all for the help. I read on here and also elsewhere that Base Maldini at 7 chem is indeed regarded as one of the best cbs in the game as Markman007 said so I really should've been happier, and I've been trying to make the best of it. Tbh, my win % online is about the same or worse so far, can't blame that card specifically though as I made other changes, I actually sold IF Benatia because I had to go Bailly if I wanted DDG in goal. I may try the other way with going back to Benatia and a series A goalie now. Or possibly submit Maldini for Bergkamp (the only Icon attacker that doesn't require an icon with a central position to turn in), but I hear mixed reviews on Bergkamp and I have untradeable Dybala so I'm not sure. Maybe submit for an Icon CB because not having full chem is weighing a bit on me, lol.
  • Ishibum
    15305 posts World Class
    Just wanted to thank y'all for the help. I read on here and also elsewhere that Base Maldini at 7 chem is indeed regarded as one of the best cbs in the game as Markman007 said so I really should've been happier, and I've been trying to make the best of it. Tbh, my win % online is about the same or worse so far, can't blame that card specifically though as I made other changes, I actually sold IF Benatia because I had to go Bailly if I wanted DDG in goal. I may try the other way with going back to Benatia and a series A goalie now. Or possibly submit Maldini for Bergkamp (the only Icon attacker that doesn't require an icon with a central position to turn in), but I hear mixed reviews on Bergkamp and I have untradeable Dybala so I'm not sure. Maybe submit for an Icon CB because not having full chem is weighing a bit on me, lol.

Compare the Bergkamp cost with Del Piero. If it's for cam, ADP is your man. Have to say though, I would have been delighted with Maldini. Done two myself and packed Hagi and Rijkaard.
  • alanrudy
    1557 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 2018
    @Ishibum Interesting as I've been hearing a lot about ADP, and now that I have base Blanc at CDM I'm almost convinced now ADP is my next target; however he requires a central icon to trade in. That means either Larsson goes or I'll have to save up for longer. That's was some of the disappointment with LB icon because though defense was strong enough and rather most of the coins spent on midfield/attackers instead and those all require a central position icon trade in. Btw, which ADP version do you recommend?, honestly based on stats, it seems Base version is about as attractive as his prime and have heard his Base lauded before as well.
  • Cassidinho
    369 posts Sunday League Hero
    I've done the 83 and halfway through the 84 before I started to think about which baby icon I'd actually want. Besides the obvious best ones that I think are a long shot for me to get, I'd really only want Blanc in my squad. I know we can use an icon as sbc for another but the only SBC ones I'd be in range to work for require a central position so there's no guarantee of that in the upgrade. Should I just stop trying to finish this SBC and save towards Blanc or just finish because I've sunk coins into it already?

Its worth doing, i packed Matthaus, Puyol and Hernandez from the 3 builders I have completed. I am considering doing one more before it goes
  • RemyS
    924 posts Professional
    Well, I had Roberto Carlos (good start, replaced Marcos Alonso) but then MVB 89 (got his prime sbc) and Deco that I also don’t need.

And I then realized that I am not the best public for these sbc’s . Mid-tier prime icon sbc (Blanc, desailly,...) cost nearly more than their tradable versions. Might be worth it to do Gullit Ronaldo etc.... but they cost several millions .