OT - Any PC gamers on here ?

Bowden92
6072 posts Big Money Move
So many people around me buying good PC's for gaming and raving about them/it ! Making me want one

A question I'd like to know is, what's the community like on PC ? Regarding forums and stuff aswell, another reason I've kept to FIFA so long is because of the forum, I like that community aspect of gaming and wanted to know what it was like on PC

Also, any general input/reviews etc are more than welcome

Comments

• Knowlesdinho
    10202 posts Has That Special Something
    I used to play on PC for years. I'm not sure what it's like now, but before I moved to XBOX last year, it was riddled with cheaters. You think "no loss glitch" is bad on XBOX, try putting up with it for over 5 years and EA never doing anything about it. Div 1 and to some degree Div 2 were almost unplayable at times.

Then last year the next level of cheating, a cheat program that makes all players have 99 stats.

I'd post on the PC section and ask what it's like now. The only plus side last year was 25 games for WL, not sure it's the same this year.
  • Azof
    16444 posts World Class
    fifa community on PC is trash

can find amazing communities for every other game on PC
  • Orison
    47807 posts FIFA Cover Star
    I liked the PC community. Only swapped to XBOX when we all wandered off to different games and/or consoles.

@murazor was always a peasant tho :*
  • Painter753
    8824 posts League Winner
    Azof wrote: »
    fifa community on PC is trash

can find amazing communities for every other game on PC
    what he said
  • Fab
    17550 posts World Class
    the pc community is great
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    3982 posts National Call-Up
    ive always had a decent rig along with the console..some games just come alive on pc if you have a decent set up..steam is a great place for games and value..steam normally updates daily as well

the downside as said above is the cheating on certain games like fifa
    star wars battlefront 1 had a big problem with hackers which was a shame because it looked amazing on the rig

some recent games like alien isolation and bioshock infinite are just mind blowing in terms of graphics...the city in the sky on bioshock was something else to look at

if your thinking of buying one though id go in terms of graphics minimum NVidia 770 and above..go below and you will find new games struggling like mad to keep up
  • Azof
    16444 posts World Class
    ive always had a decent rig along with the console..some games just come alive on pc if you have a decent set up..steam is a great place for games and value..steam normally updates daily as well

star wars battlefront 1 had a big problem with hackers which was a shame because it looked amazing on the rig

some recent games like alien isolation and bioshock infinite are just mind blowing in terms of graphics...the city in the sky on bioshock was something else to look at

if your thinking of buying one though id go in terms of graphics minimum NVidia 770 and above..go below and you will find new games struggling like mad to keep up

you shouldnt be going for anything less than a 970 at this point
  • TheMenezLover
    1781 posts Play-Off Hero
    Which community? Fifa?
    Because for many games, the pc community is known as the most competitive and "toxic". Big games like LoL and CsGO are prime examples of that.
  • Orison
    Azof wrote: »

you shouldnt be going for anything less than a 970 at this point

Tend to agree. Also if you spend once, even if you "just" get a 1060 you can run with that for atleast a few years. You don't have to upgrade every few months as some console gamers want to make you think.

You can still easily get along with CPUs that are years old for example.
  • murazor
    7860 posts League Winner
    Orison wrote: »
    I liked the PC community. Only swapped to XBOX when we all wandered off to different games and/or consoles.

Shut up you xbox peasant :*
  • Bowden92
    6072 posts Big Money Move
    Ye I meant the general PC community, not Fifa, I know alot of people who play games like PUBG or counter strike or whatever

Thanks for the input guys, I definitely wouldn't scrimp on a graphics card, or anything for that matter, I'm sure a decent starter set up would set me back in the £1200 range
  • Orison
    murazor wrote: »
    Orison wrote: »

Shut up you xbox peasant :*

Better than being a traitor on every console and swapping like once a week :*
  • Azof
    16444 posts World Class
    No idea on starter price atm, crypto bumped price of RAM and GPUs through the roof
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    im rocking everything on a 770 right now...if you have the budget yeah go 1060 and above and your well in range for a couple of years..ive always gone middle range in terms of graphics to stay ahead enough
    nothing worse than buying a game and the pc spits it out
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    Columbia..the city on bioshock infinite just blew me away for looks..seen it on the xbox and didn't look the same..nice but not polished

bioshock-infinite-columbia.jpg
  • LuckyStrikE
    3318 posts National Call-Up
    I tried fifa, but it faded for me. Something about console sports games i love. I play dota 2 and hearthstone. Shooter games on pc are always better too.
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    Varies by game. The more popular they are the better.

FIFA is a PS4/Xbox game though.
  • RadioShaq
    14902 posts Moderator
    Cheating has always been disappointing on pc games. Also since computer have so many setups you run into more bugs. With consoles you buy a game it’s going to work.

With steam though it’s really got me hooked on single player games and deals are a good way to find new games.

Wow and lol have huge communities although can be toxic. It’s definitely an experience you can’t get on console.
  • Azof
    16444 posts World Class
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    Cheating has always been disappointing on pc games. Also since computer have so many setups you run into more bugs. With consoles you buy a game it’s going to work.

With steam though it’s really got me hooked on single player games and deals are a good way to find new games.

Wow and lol have huge communities although can be toxic. It’s definitely an experience you can’t get on console.

yeah thats a solid no
  • RadioShaq
    14902 posts Moderator
    What game have you had not work?
  • Millsy89
    587 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited March 2018
    Fifa's a mess on PC. Don't even bother, even if you get Origin and it goes free eventually. Most games have a much better community around them. Plus mods, you HAVE to dive into modding games.

There is no reason to get a GTX770 graphics card. It's old and under-powered nowadays, and was directly replaced by the 970 which is now cheaper because there are more available. Would definitely advise going 1060 for the extra £75 or so if you can stretch the budget.

Building your own is cheaper and more rewarding than buying. Use somewhere like PCPartPicker to help, that site is great as it looks for incompatibility between components and price checks for the best sellers. Alternatively, Reddit has a great PC Building section where people will build to a spec and budget.

Building a PC is pretty simply to be honest, I can lash one up in 30mins but a first time builder taking their time should be done in a couple of hours. Remember that hot air flows upwards, and try to route air flow up and out the back or top of the case, and have intakes as low as possible. An air intake fan at the top will cause stagnant hot air in the case, and raise temps. Cable management helps massively, try to get a modular power supply as this allows you to only use cables you need, rather than have a heap of redundant connectors laying around in the case.

I could go on (if I haven't already), but they would be my biggest pointers.
  • SherDogg
    424 posts Sunday League Hero
    its tough getting into pc gaming today as a lot of the graphics cards on the market are inflated because of the bitcoin mining scene.

if you have a budget i can suggest parts which you want and you can build it yourself by going through some tutorials.

The general scene on PC forums is great. But cheating is rampant on fifa 18 origin. Thats one of the reasons why when I wanted to game fifa online I decided to get an xbox one.