England

Comments

  • Apollo
    14283 posts Has That Special Something
    Why are Sancho and Sterling on the left/right as opposed to the other way round? The other way is what they're used to, seems strange to swap them over
  • Wyojasond
    11231 posts Has That Special Something
    How good is De Jong 😮 Been dominating that midfield. Haven’t seen him a ton this year, but every time I do it’s amazing to watch him play.

    Very open game again. Both teams being pretty sloppy though
  • Apollo
    14283 posts Has That Special Something
    Rashford!
  • Farlz
    8347 posts League Winner
    Rice rubbish again
  • Apollo
    14283 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 6
    Damn :disappointed:
  • Tornado31619
    16491 posts World Class
    Farlz wrote: »
    Rice rubbish again

    Like Dier would’ve been any better.
  • Kellnerr
    2500 posts Fans' Favourite
    Well done by the City connection there
  • Shshj
    3995 posts National Call-Up
    Tough to take but that was an absolutely terrible performance against a subpar Dutch team.

    De Jong was the difference between the two sides, a brilliant player who doesn't rush things. Our midfield is a stark contrast to that.
  • Kellnerr
    2500 posts Fans' Favourite
    Stones should be dropped for the next couple of qualifiers, third goal was 50% his fault too, what a stupid pass to play.
  • Shshj
    3995 posts National Call-Up
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    Stones should be dropped for the next couple of qualifiers, third goal was 50% his fault too, what a stupid pass to play.

    CB is the one position where we don't have a fountain of options unfortunately. I like Maguire and in an ideal world Gomez would have taken the other spot. Stones, Smalling, Jones etc are all poor in their own ways.
  • Apollo
    14283 posts Has That Special Something
    Shshj wrote: »
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    Stones should be dropped for the next couple of qualifiers, third goal was 50% his fault too, what a stupid pass to play.

    CB is the one position where we don't have a fountain of options unfortunately. I like Maguire and in an ideal world Gomez would have taken the other spot. Stones, Smalling, Jones etc are all poor in their own ways.

    That spot will become Gomez's. He's quality. The only reason he hasn't made it his own this season is because of bad luck with injuries. Once he gets a decent run of games at club level again the spot should very quickly become his.
  • Hicksy2011
    12879 posts Has That Special Something
    Shshj wrote: »
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    Stones should be dropped for the next couple of qualifiers, third goal was 50% his fault too, what a stupid pass to play.

    CB is the one position where we don't have a fountain of options unfortunately. I like Maguire and in an ideal world Gomez would have taken the other spot. Stones, Smalling, Jones etc are all poor in their own ways.

    Just got to wait, got a mountain of options at u21 level with Tuanzebe and Matt Clarke being two more that are expected to be playing a lot of minutes in the prem next year but couldn’t even get in that squad
    2 or 3 of that crop of 6 or 7 will surely come good
  • Hicksy2011
    12879 posts Has That Special Something
    I know it’s easy to say now, but you really can’t take too much from a competition where it’s taken place so close to the champions league final that we didn’t feel comfortable playing any of our Liverpool or Spurs players
  • Apollo
    14283 posts Has That Special Something
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Shshj wrote: »
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    Stones should be dropped for the next couple of qualifiers, third goal was 50% his fault too, what a stupid pass to play.

    CB is the one position where we don't have a fountain of options unfortunately. I like Maguire and in an ideal world Gomez would have taken the other spot. Stones, Smalling, Jones etc are all poor in their own ways.

    Just got to wait, got a mountain of options at u21 level with Tuanzebe and Matt Clarke being two more that are expected to be playing a lot of minutes in the prem next year but couldn’t even get in that squad
    2 or 3 of that crop of 6 or 7 will surely come good

    This is a good point as well. Hopefully in the next couple of years Gomez and Tuanzebe will become the main partnership.
  • Hicksy2011
    12879 posts Has That Special Something
    Apollo wrote: »
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Shshj wrote: »
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    Stones should be dropped for the next couple of qualifiers, third goal was 50% his fault too, what a stupid pass to play.

    CB is the one position where we don't have a fountain of options unfortunately. I like Maguire and in an ideal world Gomez would have taken the other spot. Stones, Smalling, Jones etc are all poor in their own ways.

    Just got to wait, got a mountain of options at u21 level with Tuanzebe and Matt Clarke being two more that are expected to be playing a lot of minutes in the prem next year but couldn’t even get in that squad
    2 or 3 of that crop of 6 or 7 will surely come good

    This is a good point as well. Hopefully in the next couple of years Gomez and Tuanzebe will become the main partnership.

    By that squad I meant the u21 squad as well!
    Clarke Salter, Tomori, Fry, Lloyd Kelly I think are the CBs in the squad so plenty of volume
  • Apollo
    14283 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 6
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Apollo wrote: »
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Shshj wrote: »
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    Stones should be dropped for the next couple of qualifiers, third goal was 50% his fault too, what a stupid pass to play.

    CB is the one position where we don't have a fountain of options unfortunately. I like Maguire and in an ideal world Gomez would have taken the other spot. Stones, Smalling, Jones etc are all poor in their own ways.

    Just got to wait, got a mountain of options at u21 level with Tuanzebe and Matt Clarke being two more that are expected to be playing a lot of minutes in the prem next year but couldn’t even get in that squad
    2 or 3 of that crop of 6 or 7 will surely come good

    This is a good point as well. Hopefully in the next couple of years Gomez and Tuanzebe will become the main partnership.

    By that squad I meant the u21 squad as well!
    Clarke Salter, Tomori, Fry, Lloyd Kelly I think are the CBs in the squad so plenty of volume

    Yeah there are loads of options coming through tbf. I just think Tuanzebe is going to be top class (and is already quality), so I have faith that he'll make it into the senior squad within a few years. Whether on loan at a PL team or at United he'll show his quality at the next level up this coming season.
  • Shshj
    3995 posts National Call-Up
    The worst thing now will be the overreaction. Yes, it was a poor performance but we were missing half of our first choice team. The only thing that's slightly worrying is that we've now lost two semi-finals in similar fashion.
  • Keano
    12786 posts Has That Special Something
    Shshj wrote: »
    The worst thing now will be the overreaction. Yes, it was a poor performance but we were missing half of our first choice team. The only thing that's slightly worrying is that we've now lost two semi-finals in similar fashion.

    Both the second & third goal were our own mistakes/losing out bottle with two separate players... if you're going to play out of the back you need players that can do that... & time & time again this team tonight have shown that when put under pressure they can't but Gareth will persist with that sam etactic & a team that can't do it well enough to win anything when the team we have & can have potentially (with a lot of the younger ones only getting better could become a top team, maybe not winnning a wc/euro, but not far off imo). That's what's worrying.
  • Shshj
    3995 posts National Call-Up
    Keano wrote: »
    Shshj wrote: »
    The worst thing now will be the overreaction. Yes, it was a poor performance but we were missing half of our first choice team. The only thing that's slightly worrying is that we've now lost two semi-finals in similar fashion.

    Both the second & third goal were our own mistakes/losing out bottle with two separate players... if you're going to play out of the back you need players that can do that... & time & time again this team tonight have shown that when put under pressure they can't but Gareth will persist with that sam etactic & a team that can't do it well enough to win anything when the team we have & can have potentially (with a lot of the younger ones only getting better could become a top team, maybe not winnning a wc/euro, but not far off imo). That's what's worrying.

    It's hard to play silky possession football at International level because it's a completely different climate to that of a club. Not many teams pull it off - the last to do so were Spain and they had a golden generation full of world-class players, most of whom played with each other at Barcelona.

    I do agree Southgate has to take some of the blame tonight though, resting the Liverpool & Spurs players backfired massively.
  • Kellnerr
    2500 posts Fans' Favourite
    Do we think we'll play our best XI against Switzerland, means bringing in the Pool and Spurs players, or don't give a **** about that game?
  • AaronMFC
    1558 posts Play-Off Hero
    That perfromance last night was absolutely horrific we played well from 1-1 til the 90th min and that was it. The offside is incredibly marginal i guess clear and obvious isnt the rule being checked anymore. This team has potential but the midfield will really hold us back Maddison is better than the 3 starters yesterday he should be in the squad. The sooner walker gets dropped the better hes citys weak link as well.
  • WryLucky
    1564 posts Play-Off Hero
    Maddison and RLC when he's fit would really change that midfield
  • Apollo
    14283 posts Has That Special Something
    WryLucky wrote: »
    Maddison and RLC when he's fit would really change that midfield

    Yep RLC would start for me as well, he's probably our best midfielder in that role. I'd probably say Rice - Winks - RLC is our best midfield (sticking with Southgate's preferred 433), with Maddison the first sub we go to if looking to mix things up. Hopefully he'll get into the squad sooner rather than later.
  • Farlz
    8347 posts League Winner
    Grealish is the answer to all England's problems and now we're promoted he'll be in the squad happy days
  • G000ner
    4078 posts National Call-Up
    Maddison is our best midfielder so it's ridiculous he's not in the squad. Grealish should be in there too and I'm sure Foden will make it into the squad before the Euros. It's about time we stopped picking players like Barkley and Delph.

    Holding will make a big difference at the back if he recovers well from his injury
  • G000ner
    4078 posts National Call-Up
    Lingard and Alli should also not be in the squad. Both frauds
  • G000ner
    4078 posts National Call-Up
    I forgot about Dier
  • Kellnerr
    2500 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 7
    If Alli can find his form again, he belongs in the squad. Has just been absolutely **** this season, hope he bounces back next season. If Grealish does well in the PL he should be in the squad in no time. Add Maddison and Ox and we have really good options in midfield. Not too sure about Foden yet, doesn't get enough playing time unfortunately.

    And yeah, Dier is absolute garbage.
  • Apollo
    14283 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 7
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    If Alli can find his form again, he belongs in the squad. Has just been absolutely **** this season, hope he bounces back next season. If Grealish does well in the PL he should be in the squad in no time. Add Maddison and Ox and we have really good options in midfield. Not too sure about Foden yet, doesn't get enough playing time unfortunately.

    And yeah, Dier is absolute garbage.

    Agreed, Alli's the only one I would keep of the midfielder options being discussed. Lingard, Barkley and Delph all need to go. Maddison, RLC and Grealish in for those three. In fairness, RLC would have been in if not for his injury.

    Wan-Bissaka needs to come in for the next senior squad as well. Shaw should be back in too, he's much better than Rose.
Sign In or Register to comment.