England

Comments

• Kellnerr
    1924 posts Play-Off Hero
    Need to stop scoring now, would be just stupid to go for first place in the group.
  • AEsey
    5800 posts Big Money Move
    Good performance
    Bring on Belgium
  • Gervonta
    2838 posts Fans' Favourite
    This is the first time in years we’ve actually gone into a tournament calm and performed very well though be it against weak opposition we normally struggle on the big stage.

Got to hand to it Southgate he’s done a good job so far I am very convinced if we had kept big Sam it would be a different story.
  • AEsey
    Gervonta wrote: »
    This is the first time in years we’ve actually gone into a tournament calm and performed very well though be it against weak opposition we normally struggle on the big stage.

Got to hand to it Southgate he’s done a good job so far I am very convinced if we had kept big Sam it would be a different story.

Yeah I agree it would have been same old with big sam
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Southgate has been much better then I thought he'd be, he's certainly been an upgrade on the league of dinosaurs England have gone with in recent years.

Biggest concern is the lack of ability to consistently contain the opposistion when in a domininant situation, games are often more end to end then they should be.
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Southgate has been much better then I thought he'd be, he's certainly been an upgrade on the league of dinosaurs England have gone with in recent years.

Biggest concern is the lack of ability to consistently contain the opposistion when in a domininant situation, games are often more end to end then they should be.

I think he's selected a good squad of youngsters with hard-working personalities, less of the egos that ruined previous tournaments. We knew we were poor at the back going into it though, I doubt we'll keep many clean sheets, so we are going to have to score 2 or 3 in a game to win it. With Kane in form though, anything's possible.
  • Kellnerr
    1924 posts Play-Off Hero
    Expect a boring 0-0 draw with a lot of cards here
  • AEsey
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    Expect a boring 0-0 draw with a lot of cards here

So far 100% accurate
  • G000ner
    3654 posts National Call-Up
    So is the plan to play out from the back against weaker opposition, then go back to lumping it forward at every opportunity against any half decent team? I know it's our B team, but it's Belgium's as well. Very poor showing so far.

Loftus Cheek and Dier are awful, absolutely no composure when put under pressure. Delph has played well, as has Rashford and Rose. That's been about it.
  • Kellnerr
    1924 posts Play-Off Hero
    G000ner wrote: »
    Very poor showing so far.

No team wants the win, hard to judge that performance tbh.

• G000ner
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    Very poor showing so far.

No team wants the win, hard to judge that performance tbh.

I think both teams are trying to win. Obviously it's not important so the teams aren't playing 100%, but all the players are playing for their place in the first 11, so it's not like they won't be trying.
  • G000ner
    Pickford, Loftus Cheek and Dier are ****. Pickford is definitely going to make a mistake that costs us in the knockouts. Hopefully the other two won't feature again. Happy with the loss anyway
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    I just don't understand how anyone rates Pickford, T-rex arms with slow reactions.

I'm guessing people rate him because he makes simple saves look as incredibly dramatic and over the top as possible. The bloke could make a game of chess look like Die Hard 6.
  • SDoofus
    3821 posts National Call-Up
    Dier actually makes you appreciate Henderson, which takes some doing. RLC played terribly, I wasn't impressed with Rose. Vardy worked really hard but didn't get a lot of service apart from 1 cross from the right, from TAA, I think, who played well, imo, aside from his set piece taking deteriorating as the game went on.

We got beat by a stunning goal. The most frustrating part was when we absolutely ripped them apart and Rashford was one-on-one with the keeper, only to miss as golden an opportunity as you can get. Along with our misses against Tunisia, this is making me worry that we are freezing on our chances, which can get worse the more it happens. We've only really scored set pieces so far. We can't afford to **** up a one-on-one against the big boys.
  • Tornado31619
    13578 posts Has That Special Something
    Look on the bright side, at least you won’t lose to the Germans on penalties
  • Gervonta
    SDoofus wrote: »
    Dier actually makes you appreciate Henderson, which takes some doing. RLC played terribly, I wasn't impressed with Rose. Vardy worked really hard but didn't get a lot of service apart from 1 cross from the right, from TAA, I think, who played well, imo, aside from his set piece taking deteriorating as the game went on.

We got beat by a stunning goal. The most frustrating part was when we absolutely ripped them apart and Rashford was one-on-one with the keeper, only to miss as golden an opportunity as you can get. Along with our misses against Tunisia, this is making me worry that we are freezing on our chances, which can get worse the more it happens. We've only really scored set pieces so far. We can't afford to **** up a one-on-one against the big boys.

Lmao TAA was awful.
  • G000ner
    Yeah, he was very poor. Really makes you appreciate Trippier.
  • SDoofus
    Eh? Thought it was widely accepted that he did pretty well and had a good debut?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44650878

Got a 7, only one other player matched that. He was the highest rated player if you go by fan votes.
  • G000ner
    Don't understand that. Gave the ball away a lot, offered nothing going forward, didn't really do anything good. I think they're being nice to him because it was his first game
  • Rajivvv86
    1499 posts Play-Off Hero
    Don't understand that. Gave the ball away a lot, offered nothing going forward, didn't really do anything good. I think they're being nice to him because it was his first game

That's a description of Ross's performance.
  • SDoofus
    edited June 2018
    I don’t really recall him giving the ball away a lot. Thought he was pretty tidy with the ball in general and defended well, they had no luck down that side of the pitch. Rose is the one that got sent back to England for the goal.
  • AEsey
    edited June 2018
    TAA was the better wing back imo out of him and rose
    Rose is way too timid
  • G000ner
    Rajivvv86 wrote: »

That's a description of Ross's performance.

Made a mistake for the goal but I thought Rose was much more of a threat down the left. Trent kept pumping up long balls to Vardy and most of them were inaccurate

• Gervonta
    TAA didn’t impress me. Didn’t have much defensively to do especially against the weaker of the hazard brothers. His delievery was awful.

• IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Maybe Ingerlund fans will now actually appreciate Hendo after witnessing what the alternative offers.

Lmao TAA was awful.

What were you watching? He was one of the better performers in what was overall a poor team display.

• Gervonta
    Maybe Ingerlund fans will now actually appreciate Hendo after witnessing what the alternative offers.

Lmao TAA was awful.

What were you watching? He was one of the better performers in what was overall a poor team display.

He didn’t exactly light up the right side. Rose’s performance is being slated but TAA was just as awful.
  • Handy Andy
    5533 posts Big Money Move
    TAA was easily one of our better players. Was a dreadful game which no team seemed that bothered about anyway.

Pickford is not good enough but then neither are the alternatives, can see that costing us.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional

Lmao TAA was awful.

He didn’t exactly light up the right side. Rose’s performance is being slated but TAA was just as awful.

Try re-watching the match and pretending that he doesn't play for Liverpool. Might help with your perception.

Nobody lit up the side and he was far from perfect but he did a decent job and was one of the better players in the game despite being by far the least experienced in the team.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Handy Andy wrote: »
    TAA was easily one of our better players. Was a dreadful game which no team seemed that bothered about anyway.

Pickford is not good enough but then neither are the alternatives, can see that costing us.

Pope>

He at-least doesn't have T-rex arms and can be a decent shot stopper.
  • Gervonta

Lmao TAA was awful.

Try re-watching the match and pretending that he doesn't play for Liverpool. Might help with your perception.

Nobody lit up the side and he was far from perfect but he did a decent job and was one of the better players in the game despite being by far the least experienced in the team.

Nothing against him playing for liverpool. Imo he wasn’t great his crossing was absolutely poor , set pieces were poor. He didn’t have much to do defensively.