England

Comments

• G000ner
    3929 posts National Call-Up
    How can Loftus cheek be selected over Wilshere ffs :D. Given the **** he's been saying about him all year, it seems like Southgate was never planning to include him, regardless of how well he played. It's not like we've got an abundance of central midfielders in the squad anyway. If you're not going to select Wilshere, at least select someone like Shelvey.

This tournament will be horrendous
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Ghazano wrote: »
    Lallana and Tarkowski not in the squad lol. England’s least experienced squad since 1962. Only four players from last World Cup have made it into this squad.

This is hardly a bad thing given how that one went.
  • Kellnerr
    2329 posts Fans' Favourite
    So what's the best possible starting XI out of that, let's be honest, utterly **** squad?

Butland
    Trippier-Walker-Stones-Maguire-Young
    Hendo-Dier
    Sterling-Alli
    Kane

5atb, Hendo and Dier just looks horrible, Ox would have been so important there. Another possibility would be moving Alli back instead of Dier and play Vardy (or Rashford) up front but idk.
  • Gervonta
    3725 posts National Call-Up
    G000ner wrote: »
    How can Loftus cheek be selected over Wilshere ffs :D. Given the **** he's been saying about him all year, it seems like Southgate was never planning to include him, regardless of how well he played. It's not like we've got an abundance of central midfielders in the squad anyway. If you're not going to select Wilshere, at least select someone like Shelvey.

This tournament will be horrendous

RCL Is a good young talent. Showed he can Hold his own against Germany. He’s been decent for palace this year hopefully chelsea give him first team football so he can flourish with better players around him.

Nothing wrong with his inclusion the one person who doesn’t deserve to be in the squad is jacks team mate. Danny Welbeck. Wilshere should be included instead of welbeck.

• arsenalap
    4028 posts National Call-Up
    edited May 2018
    You've said Welbeck a few times.. but he's the top scorer for England for those available, always brings it for England, and has had a good past few months for us..

He should have gone no question for me.

We should have taken Wilshere for one of TAA/Delph/Young.

I'd play:
    Pickford
    Walker - Stones - Maguire
    Trippier - Dier - Alli - Rose
    Sterling
    Kane - Vardy

I think that midfield 4 of Spurs players could be quite nice.

Off the bench, I guess you're looking at Rashford, Lingard and Welbeck to provide something, and maybe RLC
  • SDoofus
    4091 posts National Call-Up
    Quite disappointed with this squad.

Happy with the 3 goalkeepers. I'd personally start Nick Pope, but I know it's going to be Pickford's jersey.

Chuffed at TAA's call up. Well deserved, he's an extra body that can be used in midfield too, should the need arise. I'm a bit confused as to why Jones is in ahead of Smalling? Shouldn't that be the other way round? Happy with the rest, tbh.

Midfield is so uninspiring. Imo, it's a mistake not to bring Lallana AND Wilshere. Yes, both of them. Yeah, they might get injured, but creativity is so important, and those two are probably our best creators. What a poor, poor decision. I would have loved to have seen Shelvey too.

Welbeck? What the ****? 3 strikers is enough, and in Kane, Rashford and Vardy, that's well filled. Why the hell is Welbeck coming?

All in all, these would be my changes:

Smalling in for Jones
    Lallana in for Delph
    Wilshere in for RLC
    Shelvey in for Welbeck.

Harsh on RLC, but tbh I don't see him playing much anyway.
  • Orikoru
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    So what's the best possible starting XI out of that, let's be honest, utterly **** squad?

Butland
    Trippier-Walker-Stones-Maguire-Young
    Hendo-Dier
    Sterling-Alli
    Kane

5atb, Hendo and Dier just looks horrible, Ox would have been so important there. Another possibility would be moving Alli back instead of Dier and play Vardy (or Rashford) up front but idk.

Pretty much that but Pickford will be the starting keeper, and I think he might play Rose as he seems to like him.

Against Belgium I think we might be wise to bring Vardy in for Sterling and go 5-3-2 (with Dele dropping in alongside Dier and Henderson). As Vardy is pretty clinical on the counter.
  • Ahmer50x
    16204 posts World Class
    Taking Jones over Smalling is just dumb IMO

They're fairly comparable in terms of quality and one won't break down in training.
  • Gervonta
    I think we are gonna start with

Pickford
    Walker-Maguire-stones
    Trippier-Dier-Henderson-rose
    Sterling-Kane-Alli

3-4-3.
  • G000ner
    3929 posts National Call-Up
    I would definitely start Rose ahead of Young. Don't trust Young's defending. Other than that, the only positions up for debate are left wing and goalkeeper. I'd start Butland, but I think it'll probably be Pickford. And then left wing I don't really mind tbh. Alli's the best player, but he's not a left winger. Rashford's probably our best option, but as long as it's not Lingard then I'm ok with it.

Vardy deserves to start, but I think Southgate will stubbornly stick to the 343, despite it not suiting most of our squad. And he'll want to play England saviour Harry Kane up front on his own, who will inevitably let us down anyway.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    edited May 2018
    No Lallana or Wilshere.... The midfield will be a disaster.

Happy for TAA, he's been a tad inconsistent in the league but brilliant in the Champions league. This is also a knockout tournament so I'd trust him to do well.
  • Gabbinho04
    268 posts Sunday League Hero
    arsenalap wrote: »
    You've said Welbeck a few times.. but he's the top scorer for England for those available, always brings it for England, and has had a good past few months for us..

If Danny Welbeck is your top scorer you know you’ve got problems!

Quite happy with the squad tbh, I like Wilshere but his injury record & if he goes the media circus for him to start would be ridiculous.
  • GaryWackett
    55 posts Park Captain
    Shelvey should've been picked, Wilshere rightly left out. Welbeck laughable inclusion, but who cares COME ON ENGLAND
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Shelvey should have gone at-least if Southgate was going to leave out Wilshere. He can be a hot-head, a bit of ticking time bomb but he's come a long way this season and has matured under Rafa, his passing range can be very impressive at times.
  • Andy
    7850 posts League Winner
    A guy that knows infinitly more about the game than Orikoru reinforcing that point I made:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11375212/jack-wilshere-should-be-in-england-world-cup-squad-says-simon-francis
  • Orikoru
    Andy wrote: »
    A guy that knows infinitly more about the game than Orikoru reinforcing that point I made:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11375212/jack-wilshere-should-be-in-england-world-cup-squad-says-simon-francis

You don't think a player who played alongside him for a year might be slightly biased?

Southgate obviously intends to play on the counter, and I don't believe Wilshere gives you anything that you'd miss in that respect.

When was the last time he actually influenced a game?
  • Andy
    7850 posts League Winner
    Orikoru wrote: »

Burnley, his last game

• Orikoru

Burnley, his last game

The one where he was hauled off after 70 minutes and subsequently dropped for the next game?
  • Andy
    7850 posts League Winner

Burnley, his last game

The one where he was hauled off after 70 minutes and subsequently dropped for the next game?

It's the one where we were 4-0 up after an hour and he didn't play the next two games as his Mrs was giving birth.
  • Gervonta
    there are many players who don’t warrant an inclusion.

Fabian Delph was decent at left back for city but playing central midfield he offers nothing.

Welbeck is just for stamina he has 0 technical ability he’s more likely to trip over his own foot than score World Cup goals.

Cahill isn’t even a starter a chelsea anymore which is apparently the same reason for leaving hart out. So how can one guy not go because of lack of game time and form but another guy go.
  • Orikoru
    Gervonta wrote: »

Fabian Delph was decent at left back for city but playing central midfield he offers nothing.

Welbeck is just for stamina he has 0 technical ability he’s more likely to trip over his own foot than score World Cup goals.

Cahill isn’t even a starter a chelsea anymore which is apparently the same reason for leaving hart out. So how can one guy not go because of lack of game time and form but another guy go.

He is, actually. He started 7 of their last 9 league games. Earning his place back at Chelsea is what got him his England place back. Was always going to go as long as he was playing.

Welbeck's international record can't be overlooked either. He has scored regularly on England appearances and always been a useful player. Plays better for England than he does for his clubs, for some reason.

Delph I'm with you, he's literally just there as cover for an injury crisis though, given that he can play multiple positions.
  • Gervonta

He is, actually. He started 7 of their last 9 league games. Earning his place back at Chelsea is what got him his England place back. Was always going to go as long as he was playing.

Welbeck's international record can't be overlooked either. He has scored regularly on England appearances and always been a useful player. Plays better for England than he does for his clubs, for some reason.

Delph I'm with you, he's literally just there as cover for an injury crisis though, given that he can play multiple positions.

He’s been in and out of the team this whole season he hasn’t been a mainstay so to speak.

Bendtner has a decent international record doesn’t mean a thing. Welbeck isn’t exactly a player when you’re 0-0 in the 70 minute or 1-0 down that you think if we bring him on he’ll get us a goal. He’s the type of player you look and go hazard is a massive threat on that left hand side have welbeck man mark him all game because he has good workrate.

I’d much rather have taken lallana he is a player who is good on the ball can play out wide or centrally and can certainly unlock a defence.
  • Rhodesia
    779 posts Semi-Pro
    edited May 2018
    He’s the type of player you look and go hazard is a massive threat on that left hand side have welbeck man mark him all game because he has good workrate.

wtf. Welbecks workrate is used to stretch defenses, provide an outball, work the channels etc... He's basically a donkey that's asked to run. Don't think he's ever been asked to man mark a player in his life. He's a very limited footballer but I don't think you could have stated a more ignorant analysis of him.
  • Gervonta
    Rhodesia wrote: »
    He’s the type of player you look and go hazard is a massive threat on that left hand side have welbeck man mark him all game because he has good workrate.

wtf. Welbecks workrate is used to stretch defenses, provide an outball, work the channels etc... He's basically a donkey that's asked to run. Don't think he's ever been asked to man mark a player in his life. He's a very limited footballer but I don't think you could have stated a more ignorant analysis of him.

Never said it was an analysis.
  • Rhodesia
    779 posts Semi-Pro

Yes you did.

Words have meanings in case you weren't aware.

• SDoofus
    :D
  • Andy
    7850 posts League Winner

Yes you did.

:joy:
  • Gervonta

Yes you did.

Ok bud thanks for that.
  • SDoofus
    Look at him acting like he didn't just get humiliated :D
  • Gervonta
    I don’t take online forum’s that serious to take offence bud. You really need to get out and get some air and maybe a girlfriend/boyfriend which ever floats your boat.