England

Comments

  • Gervonta
    4058 posts National Call-Up
    GOALKEEPERS

    Pickford, Butland, Pope

    DEFENDERS

    Stones, Cahill, Jones, Maguire, Walker, Trippier, Young, Rose

    MIDFIELDERS

    Dier, Henderson, Alli, Lallana, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard, Sterling, Delph

    FORWARDS

    Kane, Vardy, Welbeck, Rashford

    Not 100% confirmed but rumours have it this is the squad.
  • arsenalap
    5717 posts Big Money Move
    Joke there's no Wilshere. How can injury problems be the concern if Lallana is going. And why take Delph AND Young.. just take one.

    Also rumours were Cahill didn't make it either.
  • Tamerlane
    5284 posts Big Money Move
    Gervonta wrote: »
    Tamerlane wrote: »
    Gervonta wrote: »
    AEsey wrote: »
    Gervonta wrote: »
    So the news is apparently hart and wilshere are both out of the team to Russia.

    Thoughts?

    Hart doesn't deserve a place quite frankly
    Wilshere is a bit more of a questionable decision but I don't really know what his role would be

    I think the wilshere admission would be purely down to injury record. He’s a decent player when he’s fit but Southgate will be thinking can you risk someone who could potentially pull up injuried within 10 minutes of the game and miss the whole tournament.

    Hasn’t really shown any signs of not being as injury prone this season. Pulling out the last set of friendlies didn’t help the cause.

    The World Cup is at most 5 matches for this team and Wilshere is the only midfielder we have who is comfortable in possession. I can't believe we didn't take the risk.

    It’s not 100% confirmed just few rumours circulating.

    Like the guy above said though you can’t be risking things at a major tournament. I agree he’s one of our better technical players but With his injury record is it worth risking ?

    With the England of 12-15 years ago I would agree, but this squad has pretty much no quality in midfield. We are going to end up taking 4 utility players for that position.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    So....

    Pope
    Walker Stones Maguire Young
    Hendo
    Lallana Alli
    Sterling Kane Vardy

    Probably the best way to go and oh my.....


    We really wasted that golden gen.
  • Sabo
    6818 posts Big Money Move
    No Wilshere, football's coming home lads
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    I would have taken Hart as third choice. We're a bit short on experience and leadership in the camp, and he would have given us a bit of that - and 3rd keeper almost never plays so would have been alright on that front. That said, Pope deserves to go so I'm in two minds there.

    Wilshere, I'm a little surprised he hasn't put him in, particularly after Ox was ruled out (freeing up a midfield spot) - but I don't think we'll miss him either. He's been in and out of squads and not really been able to make an impression. I would quite like to see Loftus-Cheek there, and I think Lallana needs to be in the squad even if he's not quite 100% - he's about the only technical player we have who can maybe unlock a stubborn defence.
  • Gervonta
    4058 posts National Call-Up
    edited May 2018
    Orikoru wrote: »
    I would have taken Hart as third choice. We're a bit short on experience and leadership in the camp, and he would have given us a bit of that - and 3rd keeper almost never plays so would have been alright on that front. That said, Pope deserves to go so I'm in two minds there.

    Wilshere, I'm a little surprised he hasn't put him in, particularly after Ox was ruled out (freeing up a midfield spot) - but I don't think we'll miss him either. He's been in and out of squads and not really been able to make an impression. I would quite like to see Loftus-Cheek there, and I think Lallana needs to be in the squad even if he's not quite 100% - he's about the only technical player we have who can maybe unlock a stubborn defence.

    GOALKEEPERS

    Pickford, Butland, Pope

    DEFENDERS

    Stones, Cahill, Jones, Maguire, Walker, Trippier, Young, Rose

    MIDFIELDERS

    Dier, Henderson, Alli, Lallana, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard, Sterling, Delph

    FORWARDS

    Kane, Vardy, Welbeck, Rashford

    Apparently that’s the probable squad so RCL and Adam should be going. as experienced as joe hart is you’ve got to pick form over the name.
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Gervonta wrote: »
    Orikoru wrote: »
    I would have taken Hart as third choice. We're a bit short on experience and leadership in the camp, and he would have given us a bit of that - and 3rd keeper almost never plays so would have been alright on that front. That said, Pope deserves to go so I'm in two minds there.

    Wilshere, I'm a little surprised he hasn't put him in, particularly after Ox was ruled out (freeing up a midfield spot) - but I don't think we'll miss him either. He's been in and out of squads and not really been able to make an impression. I would quite like to see Loftus-Cheek there, and I think Lallana needs to be in the squad even if he's not quite 100% - he's about the only technical player we have who can maybe unlock a stubborn defence.

    GOALKEEPERS

    Pickford, Butland, Pope

    DEFENDERS

    Stones, Cahill, Jones, Maguire, Walker, Trippier, Young, Rose

    MIDFIELDERS

    Dier, Henderson, Alli, Lallana, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard, Sterling, Delph

    FORWARDS

    Kane, Vardy, Welbeck, Rashford

    Apparently that’s the probable squad so RCL and Adam should be going. as experienced as joe hart is you’ve got to pick form over the name.

    In which case, Tarkowski missing out for Cahill would be a joke.
  • Andy
    7856 posts League Winner
    "Wilshere has been in and out of squads - but id still take a guy who hasn't played all year"
    "Lallana is our only technical player - Even though i just mentioned Wilshere"
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 2018
    Andy wrote: »
    "Wilshere has been in and out of squads - but id still take a guy who hasn't played all year"
    "Lallana is our only technical player - Even though i just mentioned Wilshere"

    Wilshere has about half the technical ability of Lallana. And plays a totally different role. What are you getting at here?
  • Andy
    7856 posts League Winner
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Andy wrote: »
    "Wilshere has been in and out of squads - but id still take a guy who hasn't played all year"
    "Lallana is our only technical player - Even though i just mentioned Wilshere"

    Wilshere has about half the technical ability of Lallana. And plays a totally different role. What are you getting at here?

    You're talking out of your arse.
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Andy wrote: »
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Andy wrote: »
    "Wilshere has been in and out of squads - but id still take a guy who hasn't played all year"
    "Lallana is our only technical player - Even though i just mentioned Wilshere"

    Wilshere has about half the technical ability of Lallana. And plays a totally different role. What are you getting at here?

    You're talking out of your arse.

    Wilshere is replaceable, Lallana isn't. It's that simple.
  • Pxul_
    8062 posts League Winner
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Andy wrote: »
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Andy wrote: »
    "Wilshere has been in and out of squads - but id still take a guy who hasn't played all year"
    "Lallana is our only technical player - Even though i just mentioned Wilshere"

    Wilshere has about half the technical ability of Lallana. And plays a totally different role. What are you getting at here?

    You're talking out of your arse.

    Wilshere is replaceable, Lallana isn't. It's that simple.

    Lallana has barely stepped on a pitch this season he'll be rusty as hell
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Pxul_ wrote: »
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Andy wrote: »
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Andy wrote: »
    "Wilshere has been in and out of squads - but id still take a guy who hasn't played all year"
    "Lallana is our only technical player - Even though i just mentioned Wilshere"

    Wilshere has about half the technical ability of Lallana. And plays a totally different role. What are you getting at here?

    You're talking out of your arse.

    Wilshere is replaceable, Lallana isn't. It's that simple.

    Lallana has barely stepped on a pitch this season he'll be rusty as hell

    Yeah it's true, and if he doesn't go that will obviously be the reason. I'm just saying it's worth gambling and giving him the last place as he is quite a unique attacker for us. Otherwise we are bit reliant on pace and dumb luck.
  • Sabo
    6818 posts Big Money Move
    The only logical and, more pertinently, superior replacement for Wilshere is none other than William James Hughes.
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Sabo wrote: »
    The only logical and, more pertinently, superior replacement for Wilshere is none other than William James Hughes.

    Who??
  • Tornado31619
    17379 posts World Class
    Gervonta wrote: »
    Gervonta wrote: »
    Shelvey should go.

    I quite like shelvey but I was reading an article and his completed passing % is horrendous he attempts a lot of long balls which does help when counter attacking at pace but he gives the ball away too much which is something you don’t want to do against a top team like Germany , Spain ect. If we even made it that far.

    If Spain play as **** as they did at the Euro's you'll be fine

    Come on we are talking about the same nation that lost to Iceland at the Euro’s and at the last World Cup couldn’t even get past the group stage.

    Fair point
  • Tornado31619
    17379 posts World Class
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Sabo wrote: »
    The only logical and, more pertinently, superior replacement for Wilshere is none other than William James Hughes.

    Who??

    Bearded Malfoy
  • Gervonta
    4058 posts National Call-Up
    TAA set to be included in the 23 man squad. Wow
  • Sabo
    6818 posts Big Money Move
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Sabo wrote: »
    The only logical and, more pertinently, superior replacement for Wilshere is none other than William James Hughes.

    Who??

    William James Hughes
  • Mike
    10043 posts Has That Special Something
    Gervonta wrote: »
    TAA set to be included in the 23 man squad. Wow
    Deserved
  • Gervonta
    4058 posts National Call-Up
    Goalkeepers

    Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope

    Defenders

    Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young

    Midfielders

    Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Jordan Henderson, Fabian Delph, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek

    Forwards

    Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Danny Welbeck, Jamie Vardy


    Confirmed. Thoughts ?
  • Gervonta
    4058 posts National Call-Up
    I’d rather swap welbeck with lallana.
  • arsenalap
    5717 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2018
    Don't understand the need for so many full backs.. think it's a joke.

    Rose who's not played much, TAA who's still a bit inconsistent, and then Delph AND Young?

    I'd have cropped out 2 of those and put in Wilshere and Shelvey/Lallana.

    Honestly don't believe the Wilshere move. The man is the fittest he's been in ages, playing well in a good side, complete different player, passionate and can lead, and tends to play well for England anyway.

    I'd have maybe taken Smalling over Cahill too. I get the need for one of them for some experience though
  • Gervonta
    4058 posts National Call-Up
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Don't understand the need for so many full backs.. think it's a joke.

    Rose who's not played much, TAA who's still a bit inconsistent, and then Delph AND Young?

    I'd have cropped out 2 of those and put in Wilshere and Shelvey/Lallana.

    Honestly don't believe the Wilshere move. The man is the fittest he's been in ages, playing well in a good side, complete different player, passionate and can lead, and tends to play well for England anyway.

    I'd have maybe taken Smalling over Cahill too. I get the need for one of them for some experience though

    100% agree with most of what you said.

    Should be out - welbeck , Delph
    In- wilshere, lallana ,
  • Wyojasond
    11986 posts Has That Special Something
    What formation has Southgate been using. I was thinking he was doing 3 at the back? Delph and TAA are more midfield players then they are FBs. TAA played there all year because of the injuries to Clyne and Gomez but he’s said for awhile he’d much rather play in the midfield. I’m about the furthest thing from an expert, but I’m guessing that’s gone into part of the selection.
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Don't understand the need for so many full backs.. think it's a joke.

    Rose who's not played much, TAA who's still a bit inconsistent, and then Delph AND Young?

    I'd have cropped out 2 of those and put in Wilshere and Shelvey/Lallana.

    Honestly don't believe the Wilshere move. The man is the fittest he's been in ages, playing well in a good side, complete different player, passionate and can lead, and tends to play well for England anyway.

    I'd have maybe taken Smalling over Cahill too. I get the need for one of them for some experience though

    Well Walker will be playing RCB as we now know. So with him and Trippier both starting, Alexander-Arnold is the cover. Delph and Young both offer versatility, because although they've been playing left back for their clubs, neither is a left back by trade.

    I don't have any complaints with the squad really, except I felt like he might gamble and throw Lallana in, since he'd be a technical option if he got fit in time. Actually, I would have had Tarkowski in over Cahill, but that's it.
  • arsenalap
    5717 posts Big Money Move
    What formation has Southgate been using. I was thinking he was doing 3 at the back? Delph and TAA are more midfield players then they are FBs. TAA played there all year because of the injuries to Clyne and Gomez but he’s said for awhile he’d much rather play in the midfield. I’m about the furthest thing from an expert, but I’m guessing that’s gone into part of the selection.

    Delph was turning into a nothing player as a CM. He has had a good season as a LB, so that's where he should be considered. It's a slight benefit he can play CM too which is useful. TAA has barely played in CM, shouldn't be considered an option there at all.

    Why bring so many utility players.. not many other countries do it.

    Wouldn't have taken TAA, and would have taken one of Delph/Young. Then would have taken Wilshere and maybe Shelvey/Lallana/even Sancho maybe
  • Ghazano
    434 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Lallana and Tarkowski not in the squad lol. England’s least experienced squad since 1962. Only four players from last World Cup have made it into this squad.
  • Mike
    10043 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 2018
    TAA - Walker - Stones - Maguire - Young

    That’s what I would go for with the defense
Sign In or Register to comment.