England

Comments

• AaronMFC
    2373 posts Fans' Favourite
    We will regret this when we get knocked out in the last 16 of the world cup or the group stage if we get the group of death
  • G000ner
    7473 posts League Winner
    Don't really understand the hate for him. I wasn't his biggest fan, but he's just taken us to a Euros final.
    He's doing a good job integrating the young players into the team and we just breezed through qualifying as top scorers without losing a game
  • Tornado31619
    30851 posts National Team Captain
    G000ner wrote: »
    Don't really understand the hate for him. I wasn't his biggest fan, but he's just taken us to a Euros final.
    He's doing a good job integrating the young players into the team and we just breezed through qualifying as top scorers without losing a game

You played San Marino ffs, even we could have beaten them
  • G000ner
    7473 posts League Winner

Can only beat what's in front of you, and we battered them along with the other teams in our group.
  • G000ner
    7473 posts League Winner
    Don't get me wrong, our squad is better (especially in attacking areas), but I think people forget how much worse we were before Southgate came in. I don't think there's many managers who would come in and do a better job.
  • AaronMFC

Can only beat what's in front of you, and we battered them along with the other teams in our group.

Poland were the better team against us for long spells at wembley without Lewandowski. I hope Im wrong but we have been insanely lucky in the last couple of tournaments and laws of averages makes me think it wont last.
  • Stlducks
    7951 posts League Winner
    Don't get me wrong, our squad is better (especially in attacking areas), but I think people forget how much worse we were before Southgate came in. I don't think there's many managers who would come in and do a better job.

How much of that is Southgate and how much is it just luck for him that England has so much young talent coming through? Is he holding you back in big tournaments during the latter stages?
  • Hicksy2011
    18937 posts World Class
    I also don't understand the hate for him
    tbh hes been proven right for me in a lot of what he has been criticised for
    he viewed Foden as a forward more than a midfielder and now thats where he is having his success for City
    loads slagged him off for bringing Phillips in when he was in the championship and thats looked great
    everyone was screaming for Sancho and now hes looking not as good as everyone thought
    even Grealish at City this year so far hasn't been the prime Gazza everyone was acting like he would be in the summer
    hes not been perfect but hes got an absolute boatload of stuff right
  • Shshj
    10170 posts Has That Special Something
    He’s met expectations so far, I don’t think he’s performed particularly well, nor badly.

He deserves the World Cup, if we don’t win it then personally I’d get rid and change direction.
  • Pxul_
    11670 posts Has That Special Something
    Shshj wrote: »
    He’s met expectations so far, I don’t think he’s performed particularly well, nor badly.

He deserves the World Cup, if we don’t win it then personally I’d get rid and change direction.

This, I’d say I dislike him the most from everyone in here. I think he’s a terrible manager, but he got us to a final so he deserves the World Cup at minimum.
  • AaronMFC
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    I also don't understand the hate for him
    tbh hes been proven right for me in a lot of what he has been criticised for
    he viewed Foden as a forward more than a midfielder and now thats where he is having his success for City
    loads slagged him off for bringing Phillips in when he was in the championship and thats looked great
    everyone was screaming for Sancho and now hes looking not as good as everyone thought
    even Grealish at City this year so far hasn't been the prime Gazza everyone was acting like he would be in the summer
    hes not been perfect but hes got an absolute boatload of stuff right

We stopped playing football about 10 minutes into a final. We didnt even try and get it into Italys half for most the game it was a complete rerun of the semi final defeat to croatia where he refuses to make a sub while pressure builds for a ridiculous amount of time. We played not to lose in a home final I couldnt care less that its been the semis and final we have got to his game management both times was well below par. How we ended up with rashford at rb for the last few minutes when we initially had 4 rbs in the squad sums up how good his plan was.
  • El_Nino
    8959 posts League Winner
    No doubt it's a problem, but nothing's changing, no way any goverment is willing to deal with the backlash of majorly changing drinking laws.

Not to mention it hurts the economy short term, be it right or wrong there is no chance it changes.
  • Pietu
    10731 posts Has That Special Something
    El_Nino wrote: »
    No doubt it's a problem, but nothing's changing, no way any goverment is willing to deal with the backlash of majorly changing drinking laws.

Not to mention it hurts the economy short term, be it right or wrong there is no chance it changes.

Agreed. But that wasn't why I shared it, shared it because of how he felt there.
  • El_Nino
    8959 posts League Winner
    Pietu wrote: »

Agreed. But that wasn't why I shared it, shared it because of how he felt there.

Oh totally agree, no problem with it being shared, sharing these opinions is a positive thing, just giving some more of an answer to the question posed by it.
  • Pietu

Oh totally agree, no problem with it being shared, sharing these opinions is a positive thing, just giving some more of an answer to the question posed by it.

It’s a hard question to answer. But don't know enough about the football drinking culture in England to know what's it's like but personally not a big fan of getting pissed before/during the match.
  • Tornado31619

It’s a hard question to answer. But don't know enough about the football drinking culture in England to know what's it's like but personally not a big fan of getting pissed before/during the match.

British drinking culture goes way beyond football.
  • Pietu

Oh I know it does but are they the same? And what I mean by that is, is it normal to drink from the morning or is that only for "special" occasions? Like the Euros final for example. Hate the lads on tour ❤️❤️❤️❤️ though.
  • Tornado31619
    Drinking is typically an evening activity, but it’s not impossible to find pubs busy in the day.
  • Snugglebites
    2719 posts Fans' Favourite
    Alcohol ruins everything.
  • El_Nino
    8959 posts League Winner

Oh I know it does but are they the same? And what I mean by that is, is it normal to drink from the morning or is that only for "special" occasions? Like the Euros final for example. Hate the lads on tour ❤️❤️❤️❤️ though.

Nah it's common, football, festivals, Christ even funerals are enough to make people start knocking them back in the morning.
  • Pietu

Nah it's common, football, festivals, Christ even funerals are enough to make people start knocking them back in the morning.

Funerals? Have never heard about that, sounds crazy to me.
  • El_Nino
    8959 posts League Winner

Yep, super common to have the funeral then immediately go to some morbid 'afterparty', drinking and getting drunk is super common.

It's honestly horrendously ingrained in everything Britain does in some senses, the issue is it's glorified to young people and idiots, it isn't seen as the addiction/problem it is.
  • Shshj
    10170 posts Has That Special Something
    edited December 2021

Yep, super common to have the funeral then immediately go to some morbid 'afterparty', drinking and getting drunk is super common.

It's honestly horrendously ingrained in everything Britain does in some senses, the issue is it's glorified to young people and idiots, it isn't seen as the addiction/problem it is.

100% this. Very few people smoke these days because everyone else now know how stupid it is.

Binge drinking is just as bad, if not worse. Even the nicest of people can act like absolute idiots when under the influence, but they do it because it’s still seen as “cool”.
  • Pietu
    Shshj wrote: »

100% this. Very few people smoke these days because everyone else now know how stupid it is.

Binge drinking is just as bad, if not worse. Even the nicest of people can act like absolute idiots when under the influence, but they do it because it’s still seen as “cool”.

That's something that I think we also have, this idea that drinking and getting drunk is somehow cool, that it's a fun thing to do, people honestly do it for fun, which is crazy to me because there are other and better ways to have fun. Thankfully though, it's not really in our sports culture.
  • Pietu

Been to 2 funerals and nobody spoke about doing that afterwards so from my experience it's not something we do but it's not really something I know about but hopefully it's not a thing in here.
  • Tornado31619
    Pubs are a social venue for most events TBH, not necessarily just a night out.