Comments

• Handy Andy
    6226 posts Big Money Move
    If we had to take only 2 right backs I’d be taking Walker and Trent, Trent started slow but seems to have got better as the season has gone on and his “peak” is better than James for me
  • Shshj
    7523 posts League Winner
    Handy Andy wrote: »
    If we had to take only 2 right backs I’d be taking Walker and Trent, Trent started slow but seems to have got better as the season has gone on and his “peak” is better than James for me

I think he’ll end up taking all three and will use Walker as a RCB in a back three again.
  • Handy Andy
    Shshj wrote: »
    Handy Andy wrote: »

I think he’ll end up taking all three and will use Walker as a RCB in a back three again.

Sadly I expect that will be the case
  • Tornado31619
    26946 posts Player of the Year
    Would rather ditch Walker and take James or AWB
  • Stlducks
    6205 posts Big Money Move
    I think the hype around James is too much and the criticism of TAA is still based on his early season performances. TAA has really stepped up the last 15-20 games.

Watching them is hard to pick a favorite without knowing England's formation but if you base it on stats, TAA is better in nearly every category in attack and defending.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see TAA starting.
  • Ahmer50x
    28981 posts Player of the Year
    TAA has had a good close to the season. He should be on the plane.
  • Pughy30
    29053 posts Player of the Year
    TAA has to go, I wouldn't play him against Portugal and France etc but against smaller sides he can do work
  • Pughy30
    29053 posts Player of the Year
    edited May 17
    The Athletic are reporting Trent isn't in the squad. Walker, Trippier and James are going
  • Handy Andy
    Pughy30 wrote: »
    The Athletic are reporting Trent isn't in the squad. Walker, Trippier and James are going

Christ
  • Tornado31619
    No AWB? Imagine dropping both of them :lol:
  • Shshj
    7523 posts League Winner
    edited May 17
    AWB was never an option. He’s never earned an England cap before and was considering representing Congo instead.

He’s unfortunate to play in a very competitive position, but he’s also arguably the worst of the five mentioned.
  • El_Nino
    7790 posts League Winner
    Yeah as said above AWB isn't in the conversation, I wouldn't be surprised to see him represent a different country, I think he'd eventually get an England cap, but he'll likely never be England first or even second choice RB.
  • G000ner
    6318 posts Big Money Move
    Absolutely no excuse for selecting Trippier over Trent. That's two 30+ year old right backs when we've got some of the best young right backs. We need to prepare for the future. Southgate is still clinging onto the last world cup's squad because we lucked our way to the semis it seems. Lingard, Dier etc are expected. A sad sight to say the least
  • Cyodine
    3104 posts National Call-Up
    He should've used the opportunity to use Trent in midfield.
  • AaronMFC
    2188 posts Fans' Favourite
    Walker as a cb i really dont like he is awful at defending crosses id rather have shaw left of a three and then have Chilwell be the wing back.
  • Ahmer50x
    28981 posts Player of the Year
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    Walker as a cb i really dont like he is awful at defending crosses id rather have shaw left of a three and then have Chilwell be the wing back.

Could work but do keep in mind that Shaw hasn't really played LCB at all this season.

Ole's not really used the 352 so he's been fixed at LB for some time now.
  • AaronMFC
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Could work but do keep in mind that Shaw hasn't really played LCB at all this season.

I know but Walker hasnt played cb either or if he has i certainly cant remember. I actually think a back 3 is a good option for us it allows the fullbacks to get forward a lot. Having a back 3 and not having TAA play as the rwb would be disappointing.
  • El_Nino
    7790 posts League Winner

I know but Walker hasnt played cb either or if he has i certainly cant remember. I actually think a back 3 is a good option for us it allows the fullbacks to get forward a lot. Having a back 3 and not having TAA play as the rwb would be disappointing.

I think TAA is more suited to 4ATB really, most wing backs are expected to cover alot of ground, helps to have the physicality to cover bombing forward.

Walker is the 3rd best CB we have for a 3ATB unfortunately, still has buckets of pace to cover his mistakes, and has alot of experience at CB, Shaw does not, Shaw has also been incredible at LB all season, doesn't make sense to move him imo.
  • AaronMFC
    El_Nino wrote: »

I think TAA is more suited to 4ATB really, most wing backs are expected to cover alot of ground, helps to have the physicality to cover bombing forward.

Walker is the 3rd best CB we have for a 3ATB unfortunately, still has buckets of pace to cover his mistakes, and has alot of experience at CB, Shaw does not, Shaw has also been incredible at LB all season, doesn't make sense to move him imo.

That cant possibly be true. Brighton play a back 3 often enough Ben White would be a good option. Tarkowski is also a good cb who we could do worse than. If Walker plays it should be as a wing back not a cb.
  • El_Nino
    7790 posts League Winner

That cant possibly be true. Brighton play a back 3 often enough Ben White would be a good option. Tarkowski is also a good cb who we could do worse than. If Walker plays it should be as a wing back not a cb.

Disagree massively, Walker isn't exactly great at CB, but in a 3atb he's a good option, makes up physically for his defensive frailties, the CBs your naming are just average at best, for me your massively underrating Walker.
  • AaronMFC

Disagree massively, Walker isn't exactly great at CB, but in a 3atb he's a good option, makes up physically for his defensive frailties, the CBs your naming are just average at best, for me your massively underrating Walker.

Well the last two times england have been knocked out of competitions equalisers were scored from players getting across walker at the back post. I dont really fancy a hat trick. I think he have better rbs but if he plays there fine playing him at cb is stupid and wont end well.
  • Tornado31619
    edited May 18
    England’s defenders aren’t even that great, so I don’t know why 5/3ATB is even on the table considering that you have attackers like Kane, Rashford and Grealish that you should be building the team around. I’d probably play something like:

Rashford-Kane-Sancho
    Grealish-Rice-Mount
    Shaw-Stones-Maguire-AWB/Trent
    Deano/Pope
  • El_Nino
    7790 posts League Winner
    edited May 18
    England’s defenders aren’t even that great, so I don’t know why 5/3ATB is even on the table considering that you have attackers like Kane, Rashford and Grealish that you should be building the team around. I’d probably play something like:

Rashford-Kane-Sancho
    Grealish-Rice-Mount
    Shaw-Stones-Maguire-AWB/Trent
    Deano/Pope

I mean, the fact England's defence isn't great is exactly why 5/3ATB is on the table 😂
  • G000ner
    I think our defence is good tbh.

Walker-Stones-Maguire-Shaw

Is a very reliable back 4 as far as international football goes. All 4 are starters for the top 2 sides in England and they all play in a back 4 for their clubs in those exact positions.

If he's too negative to play a back 4 as safe as that, there really is no hope for him.
  • Ashy
    14623 posts Has That Special Something
    G000ner wrote: »

Is a very reliable back 4 as far as international football goes. All 4 are starters for the top 2 sides in England and they all play in a back 4 for their clubs in those exact positions.

If he's too negative to play a back 4 as safe as that, there really is no hope for him.

Agreed, right side Man City, left side Man Utd so you have that bit of chemistry too. If Southgate is so desperate to play 5atb then why not take Trent and play RWB, his delivery is brilliant.

Why waste having an extra centre back to take a creative midfield off when we have the likes of Foden, Mount and Grealish it would be beyond stupid and career suicide to do it.
  • Kellnerr
    4463 posts National Call-Up
    Ashy wrote: »
    G000ner wrote: »

Agreed, right side Man City, left side Man Utd so you have that bit of chemistry too. If Southgate is so desperate to play 5atb then why not take Trent and play RWB, his delivery is brilliant.

Why waste having an extra centre back to take a creative midfield off when we have the likes of Foden, Mount and Grealish it would be beyond stupid and career suicide to do it.

Agreed, attacking options are just too good to play a 5atb.

That's what I'd like to see. Choice of full backs because of their set piece abilities.

Pope
    Trippier-Stones-Maguire-Chilwell
    Foden-Rice-Mount
    Sancho-Kane-Sterling

• G000ner
    edited May 24
    26 man squad released tomorrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56541263

This is what I'd do:

England-squad-selector-0678260c2f0bc9a83f7a40d6d62fc370.jpg

For the 23 I think you drop out one of Henderson/Phillips (depending on injuries), one of the right backs (Trippier is who I'd drop out), then you probably leave out Saka as well.

Im not sure how everyone's doing on the injury front, is there anyone else injured other than Henderson and Phillips?
  • Nem
    7376 posts Big Money Move
    England-squad-selector-f9d296b9510742caa2adc2b7f8e2a430.html.jpg
  • G000ner
    Nem wrote: »
    England-squad-selector-f9d296b9510742caa2adc2b7f8e2a430.jpg
  • Ashy
    14623 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 24
    4-2-3-1 (3 extra picks are Saka for versatility, Greenwood for form and something different up front and Trippier for experience.

Left Henderson out due to not playing for 3 months, would be 4 come tournament start. I'd also play Trent and a more attacking CM like Bellingham instead of Phillips for easier games.

Pickford
    Walker - Stones - Maguire - Shaw
    Phillips - Rice
    Foden
    Mount - Kane - Rashford

Pope
    Trent - Tomori - Mings - Chilwell
    Ward Prowse - Bellingham
    Grealish
    Sancho - DCL - Sterling

England-squad-selector-b9921fa77d0211d23923db5f5a6bddf9.jpg