England

Comments

• arsenalap
    9526 posts League Winner
    If Henderson plays well for the rest of the season, i'd start him in goal as he'd have an understanding with part of the defense anyway.

If Tomori does well also, agreed he should go.
  • Stlducks
    5881 posts Big Money Move
    Pxul_ wrote: »
    That team just looks ❤️❤️❤️❤️ on paper tbh, we either need to play 4231 or 433 IMO. Rice and Henderson both need to start in midfield aswell for it to work.

I agree 4231 would work best, I'm just pointing out that has not been the preferred position in the last handful of matches.

I'm also not sure I would start Henderson unless Southgate wants to go more defensive. Grealish, Mount, Maddison, Rice all would be my preferred choice over Henderson.
  • Kellnerr
    4365 posts National Call-Up
    edited March 9
    Don't like Sterling but he usually does well for England, so can't really leave him out imo. Leaving the likes of Mount, Foden, Rashford on the bench just shows the luxury in attack England have at the moment. Simply can't start them all, needs some balance in the XI.
    Not Pickford
    Trent-Stones-Maguire-Chilwell
    Henderson-Rice
    Sancho-Grealish-Sterling
    Kane
  • Ahmer50x
    28393 posts Player of the Year
    arsenalap wrote: »
    I'd like:
    Pope
    AWB - Stones - Maguire - Shaw
    Rice
    Mount - Grealish
    Sancho - Kane - Sterling

Henderson
    TAA - Keane - Mings - Chilwell
    Henderson
    Maddison - Foden
    Saka - DCL - Rashford

Pickford, Walker, Dier, Konsa, Tomori could all have a shot too. Bold players could all start ahead of their counterparts.

I think that is too attacking though, no way Southgate goes with that. Chances are Maddison drops out for someone more defensively minded and Mount is benched for Henderson. Also, Pickford will likely start as Pope and Henderson are lacking experience internationally probably.

I think you probably go a little more defensive with your midfield against better teams but this looks just about right to me as someone who is not English.

On current form though, there is an argument for Reece James over TAA. And if Hendo takes the United no 1 shirt, there's a chance he maybe takes it for England too.
  • AaronMFC
    2155 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    I'd like:
    Pope
    Rice
    Mount - Grealish
    Sancho - Kane - Sterling

Henderson
    Henderson
    Maddison - Foden
    Saka - DCL - Rashford

Pickford, Walker, Dier, Konsa, Tomori could all have a shot too. Bold players could all start ahead of their counterparts.

I think that is too attacking though, no way Southgate goes with that. Chances are Maddison drops out for someone more defensively minded and Mount is benched for Henderson. Also, Pickford will likely start as Pope and Henderson are lacking experience internationally probably.

I think you probably go a little more defensive with your midfield against better teams but this looks just about right to me as someone who is not English.

On current form though, there is an argument for Reece James over TAA. And if Hendo takes the United no 1 shirt, there's a chance he maybe takes it for England too.

Southgates teams the last few years are more defensive whoever we play against a back 5 where the full backs barely push up much and more often than not 2 holding mids. Id be amazed if he doesnt play a back 5 again at the euros.
  • Shshj
    7097 posts Big Money Move
    I see Aidy Boothroyd is up to his old tricks.
  • AaronMFC
    2155 posts Fans' Favourite
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    I'd like:
    Pope
    Rice
    Mount - Grealish
    Sancho - Kane - Sterling

Henderson
    Henderson
    Maddison - Foden
    Saka - DCL - Rashford

Southgates teams the last few years are more defensive whoever we play against a back 5 where the full backs barely push up much and more often than not 2 holding mids. Id be amazed if he doesnt play a back 5 again at the euros.

I was wrong we didnt need 2 dms against San Marino but we do against Albania. We would have a decent chance at the Euros if we had a manager who wasnt so negative.
  • El_Nino
    7546 posts League Winner
    Southgate is getting carried massively by class players, the sooner England move him on the better.
  • G000ner
    6093 posts Big Money Move
    Phillips is no where near good enough for England. The only reason he's playing is so Southgate can get in another defensive midfielder, so that's definitely what he'll be doing in the world cup - probably Rice and Henderson. Mount is guaranteed to play and I think Sterling is too. Basically means we have Foden, Grealish, Rashford, Sancho and Saka with one position spare, but Southgate will still probably play Lingard there. Wasting all our talent
  • WryLucky
    4081 posts National Call-Up
    Mount's pulling the strings again, I just wish he wasn't forced to play 90mins every single time.
  • G000ner
    Southgate has forgot he can make subs?
  • WryLucky
    G000ner wrote: »
    Southgate has forgot he can make subs?

He wants to burnout the players.
  • WryLucky
    edited March 31
    Why is Foden coming off ffs, take off Mount! So despite needing the extra recovery for this game he refuses to take off Mount for the 3rd time.
  • G000ner
    Going back 5 for the last 5 minutes when we haven't been troubled all game other than when Stones gave them the ball. Why is Southgate so scared of a Lewandowski-less Poland?
  • El_Nino
    7546 posts League Winner
    Mount has absolutely run England through this entire break.
  • G000ner
    edited May 16
    With a couple more games left, what is everyone's preffered XI now? I think most people had Sterling in their team a few months ago, but surely that can't still be the case given he's been off colour for a while and Sancho has been playing well? A few other young players have been playing very well too recently such as Foden, Bellingham, Tomori and ESR. Trent has returned to form, but Walker has been playing well too. Lingard's performances have unsurprisingly dropped off, a long with a few others like Saka and Maddison.

All our keepers are ❤️❤️❤️❤️ and it's got to the point where it may be worth bringing back Pickford into the fold. Also questions remain over whether Henderson and Grealish will be match fit. I doubt either start the tournament and knowing Southgate he will leave Grealish out the squad entirely. If that happens ESR is the most natural replacement as a fellow low-sock advocate.

Pickford
    Walker-Stones-Maguire-Shaw
    Bellingham-Rice
    Sancho-Mount-Foden
    Kane

Henderson, Pope, Trent, Tomori, Coady, Chilwell, JWP, Phillips, Sterling, Grealish, Rashford, Greenwood

• Stlducks
    5881 posts Big Money Move
    Can't wait to see Dier starting with Maguire.
  • Kellnerr
    4365 posts National Call-Up
    Pope should be starting
  • G000ner
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    Pope should be starting

Really hasn't impressed me when I've watched him recently, let in a few easy goals. His complete inability to play out the back does limit us too.
  • Tornado31619
    26067 posts Player of the Year
    You know that Southgate doesn’t like you when Grealish is selected ahead of you.

I don’t get it though, if you’re only taking two RBs then I’d have Trent over James.
  • El_Nino
    7546 posts League Winner
    edited 9:14AM
    James has been better than Trent this year, simples.

Depends what formation Southgate prefers as to who plays, I'd lean towards a 3atb with England's weakness at GK, and I'm very iffy about the defence too.

Pope
    Walker-Maguire-Stones
    James-Henderson-Rice-Shaw
    Mount-Kane-Sancho

Assuming Grealish is fit he has to fit in the starting XI somehow too though.
  • Shshj
    7097 posts Big Money Move
    edited 9:16AM
    Obviously I’m biased towards James, but leaving Trent at home is a massive mistake.

The only possible explanation is that Southgate is obviously planning to play his 3-4-3 again, and James has been steadily improving in that RWB role for us.

Surely you have to take TAA as a backup though? Very odd decision.