• Shshj
    5327 posts Big Money Move
    Really, really poor from Maguire.
  • Snugglebites
    2024 posts Fans' Favourite
    Rice & Phillips is a tragic midfield.
  • WryLucky
    3273 posts National Call-Up
    Two red cards, a tragic team lineup, boring as hell. Time to celebrate club football again.
  • AaronMFC
    1942 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited October 14
    The way we set up a result like that was coming. Maguire really is struggling i think he needs a break to refocus, Walker as a cb and then lb was terrible our defence going forward is not looking too good think he needs to settle on a preferred back 4 and give them a lot of games together.
  • G000ner
    5359 posts Big Money Move
    First of all he needs to be starting our best defence. How is Trent not starting when he's one of best full-backs in the world? Too attacking for Southgate I assume? We shouldn't be playing right backs at LB and our centre backs should be picked based on how they perform . Maguire shouldn't be near the starting line-up right now.
  • Stlducks
    3742 posts National Call-Up
    Southgate is way defensive with every lineup and that’s going to be his downfall. The best part of the team is the attack (Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Grealish, DCL, Sancho, etc) and he handcuffs them. This talent should be scoring 2-3 goals every game but when you don’t start your playmakers together the ones playing are isolated and can’t do anything.

If Southgate was testing new tactics and lineups then the results wouldn’t matter. But it’s obvious he’s not changing much and he’s taking these games serious, that’s what is concerning about it.
  • Shshj
    edited October 14
    Pope
    Trent - Coady - Gomez - Chilwell
    Grealish - Rice - Henderson
    Sancho - Kane - Sterling

That's close to our best XI right now for me. The defence leaves a lot to be desired but it's the one area we aren't particulary strong in. We have so many excellent attackers that Southgate is neglecting in favour of this awful 3-5-2 system he's picked up.
  • arsenalap
    8665 posts League Winner
    Agree with that team. Maguire could fight for his place back but not atm.

I'd swap a few around like Henderson and Grealish and Gomez and Coady.
  • Farlz
    9222 posts League Winner
    This idea Southgate has that Grealish doesn’t work hard or something is hilarious. He has such a weird issue with him.
  • WryLucky
    Farlz wrote: »
    This idea Southgate has that Grealish doesn’t work hard or something is hilarious. He has such a weird issue with him.

Southgate wants us to be a glorified Stoke.
  • Rhodesia
    879 posts Semi-Pro
    2.5 years ago when every one was getting jollies over making the WC semi-finals I said this was a poor England side with a boring future ahead of it and I was ridiculed for it.

If Southgate was just tactically inept you could at least cut him some slack for playing exciting football. But he's tactically inept at playing boring football. Unforgiveable. He should check this link if he wants tips on how to improve his footballing philosophy

https://www.gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-driver

And in terms of talent, there's a shocking dearth of it on every level. Jack Grealish is the only English player in world football that has an ounce of quality about him in my humble opinion. Everyone else is either terrible or just painfully average.
  • Hicksy2011
    18330 posts World Class
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • Tornado31619
    23233 posts Club Captain
    Finally, some life in RF again
  • Stlducks
    Rhodesia wrote: »
    2.5 years ago when every one was getting jollies over making the WC semi-finals I said this was a poor England side with a boring future ahead of it and I was ridiculed for it.

If Southgate was just tactically inept you could at least cut him some slack for playing exciting football. But he's tactically inept at playing boring football. Unforgiveable. He should check this link if he wants tips on how to improve his footballing philosophy

And in terms of talent, there's a shocking dearth of it on every level. Jack Grealish is the only English player in world football that has an ounce of quality about him in my humble opinion. Everyone else is either terrible or just painfully average.

I was with you until the last paragraph. Then you went off the rail a bit.
  • Pietu
    7529 posts League Winner
    Welcome back! @Rhodesia
  • arsenalap
    8665 posts League Winner
    Rhodesia wrote: »

So you don't think Trent, Sancho, Kane, Sterling have any quality?

Or Foden, Saka, Greenwood?
  • Snugglebites
    2024 posts Fans' Favourite
    When did Grealish become England's best ever player?
  • Stlducks
    When did Grealish become England's best ever player?

It was explained pretty well on the Ramble along with a few other podcasts I listen to. This is the typical England cycle. The positivity is gone, fans start getting frustrated and then pick one player to focus on as to why he's not playing more. The media then picks one player to start tearing down (Maguire) and soon negativity surrounds everything.
  • Nem
    6674 posts Big Money Move
    Best friendly match I've ever watched. Had a tournament feel to it due to neutral venue.

• Hicksy2011
    18330 posts World Class
    Frank Lampard you hero
    Shown Mount is good at CM and now we can have a more forward thinking player there
  • WryLucky
    How have Mason and Reece been today? Didn't get a chance to watch it
  • Hicksy2011
    18330 posts World Class
    Both good
    Game lasted about 55 minutes tbh before both teams decided they have another two internationals to play this week and gave up
  • Shshj
    Hopefully last night showed Southgate that Mount and Grealish can play together with the team still being successful. We've sorely lacked creative midfielders, now we have two good options.

Sancho was also really impressive on the left, although I'm not sure who I'd start there with Rashford and Sterling also available.
  • Shshj
    Another ultra-defensive selection from Southgate. If we lose this then I don’t think anyone would be upset if he was sacked tomorrow.

• Pietu
    7529 posts League Winner
    It's just a glorified friendly though, result and the line-up shouldn't matter in a friendly
  • AaronMFC
    1942 posts Play-Off Hero
    Really dont think rice and henderson should be in the same team especially with 3 cbs playing.
  • Stlducks
    Pietu wrote: »
    It's just a glorified friendly though, result and the line-up shouldn't matter in a friendly
    The last how many friendlies he has played a very defensive lineup. You would think with all these friendlies, Southgate would test new lineups or formations to see what players fit and what formations work best. If he plays defensively in 90% of the friendlies, do you think he's suddenly going to play attacking when the games count?
  • Pietu
    7529 posts League Winner
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Pietu wrote: »
    The last how many friendlies he has played a very defensive lineup. You would think with all these friendlies, Southgate would test new lineups or formations to see what players fit and what formations work best. If he plays defensively in 90% of the friendlies, do you think he's suddenly going to play attacking when the games count?

Who knows. Don't think so but he still could. Looking at your results, it has worked though and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Let's say you win the Euros with your current style, would you still say it's a problem that you play defensively?