England

Comments

• Stlducks
    3233 posts National Call-Up
    Why have a great crosser like TAA and a decent one in Trips but only send one man into the box? Makes zero sense to only have Kane as a target when you have two players that can send in crosses.
  • WryLucky
    3038 posts National Call-Up
    Why do I put myself through watching England.
  • Dandingooo
    1867 posts Play-Off Hero
    First time I’ve watched a full England match in my life probably. Coady did well, couple of good passes and covered well for Gomez/Dier a few times.

But Coady Rice and Phillips can’t play together. Was all very similar no one to create
  • Stlducks
    Foden and Greenwood probably make a difference tonight. I hope they realize they cost their team when attacking options were needed.

After the match Southgate said now he has learned more details, those two would have been sent home regardless of Covid protocol. Sounds like they really broke rules.
  • G000ner
    5123 posts Big Money Move
    How was Grealish and AMN when they came on?
  • Shshj
    5156 posts Big Money Move
    Questions have to be asked of Southgate. He's done a brilliant job at bleeding in the next generation of England players but as a manager he looks clueless.

His decisions tonight were appalling. I have no doubt he'll still be in charge for the Euros next summer but things need to improve.
  • G000ner
    Shshj wrote: »
    Questions have to be asked of Southgate. He's done a brilliant job at bleeding in the next generation of England players but as a manager he looks clueless.

His decisions tonight were appalling. I have no doubt he'll still be in charge for the Euros next summer but things need to improve.

Yeah unfortunately can't see us getting rid of him before the Euros. Never back us against the big teams under his management. Please give us Wenger, he can get the best out of our young attackers/midfielders. If we're going down the English route, I think Eddie Howe is a noticable improvement on Southgate
  • arsenalap
    8462 posts League Winner
    Not sure what Southgate is thinking when he puts out a team like that one, and the other day.

You can tell both lineups just looked wrong and had no balance.
  • Pxul_
    9726 posts League Winner
    He’s a useless manager imo, should try Eddie Howe he’d do a better job🤷‍♂️
  • Kellnerr
    3846 posts National Call-Up
    So no Foden and Greenwood, no Reece/AWB instead of Walker either hmm
  • arsenalap
    8462 posts League Winner
    Kellnerr wrote: »

Well Foden and Greenwood are banished for now.

And neither Reece or AWB have particularly been any good this season.

So makes sense to me.
  • Stlducks
    Pretty harsh on Foden and Greenwood IMO. They were already sent home and killed in the media. That should have been enough.
  • Ahmer50x
    25065 posts Player of the Year
    I'm with Southgate on not picking Foden and Greenwood. Leave them out for a few squads IMO
  • Apollo
    20569 posts Club Captain
    edited 1:57PM
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    I'm with Southgate on not picking Foden and Greenwood. Leave them out for a few squads IMO

I agree with the premise but not the number. Being left out of one squad (this one) does the job imo.
  • Hicksy2011
    17476 posts World Class
    yeh there have been a few dodgy situations with people recently
    he has the luxury to be harsh when both play positions that are already massively stocked for us
    cant really do the same with Maguire
  • Kellnerr
    arsenalap wrote: »

So makes sense to me.

But neither has Walker been good for a long time. Looking towards the future, he should be replaced by one of them sooner rather than later. Considering there will be 2 big tournaments in 2 years, it's now the time to build long-term and not in between, imo.
  • G000ner
    Pope
    Gomez-Coady-Mings
    Trent-Grealish-Henderson-Saka
    Sancho-Kane-Sterling

Out with the frauds
  • arsenalap
    8462 posts League Winner

So makes sense to me.

But neither has Walker been good for a long time. Looking towards the future, he should be replaced by one of them sooner rather than later. Considering there will be 2 big tournaments in 2 years, it's now the time to build long-term and not in between, imo.

The squad is very inexperienced in terms of international caps. He probably want some experience in,
  • Kellnerr
    edited 2:34PM

So makes sense to me.

The squad is very inexperienced in terms of international caps. He probably want some experience in,

True, fair enough. On the other hand I'm not sure if Walker brings the right experience to the boys :joy:

@G00ner don't think Southgate will go back to a 3atb.

Pope
    Trent-Gomez-Maguire-Chilwell
    Henderson-Rice(?)
    Sancho-Sterling-Rashford
    Kane

Henderson
    Trippier-Dier-Keane-Saka
    Winks-Phillips
    Greenwood-Foden-Grealish
    DCL

+ Pickford as 23rd player is probably what I'd go for currently. Ideally Trippier (for AWB/Reece) and Keane (White/Mings/Tarkowski) and maybe Phillips or Winks (Ox, idk) will be dropped in the future.

Edit: and I guess Bellingham should be called up soon aswell, he could be the last CM actually.
  • G000ner

So makes sense to me.

True, fair enough. On the other hand I'm not sure if Walker brings the right experience to the boys :joy:

@G00ner don't think Southgate will go back to a 3atb.

Pope
    Trent-Gomez-Maguire-Chilwell
    Henderson-Rice(?)
    Sancho-Sterling-Rashford
    Kane

Henderson
    Trippier-Dier-Keane-Saka
    Winks-Phillips
    Greenwood-Foden-Grealish
    DCL

+ Pickford as 23rd player is probably what I'd go for currently. Ideally Trippier (for AWB/Reece) and Keane (White/Mings/Tarkowski) and maybe Phillips or Winks (Ox, idk) will be dropped in the future.

Edit: and I guess Bellingham should be called up soon aswell, he could be the last CM actually.

He went 3atb in our last game I believe. It's a good option and could help get the best out of Trent. Realistically he's not gonna be able to get forward as much for England as he does for Liverpool. In a 3atb he can be more involved in the final third, creating chances for the front 3. I quite like the idea of us basically building our team around Trent and using the wingbacks as the main source of chance creation. I think it could be the best way forward, but 4atb can work too. I pretty much agree with your teams but i'd have Sterling on the left, Grealish in the hole, Rashford drops to the second team. Sterling is better out wide, Grealish would be a better no.10 and make the team more balanced. Bellingham/Ox in for Winks and White for Dier in the second team probably.