Comments

• Pxul_
    10140 posts Has That Special Something
    They need a fkn pay rise first🙄
  • Pietu
    8255 posts League Winner
    Pxul_ wrote: »

They do but can't really give it now, after all this ❤️❤️❤️❤️ ends, that is the time.
  • Pxul_
    10140 posts Has That Special Something
    Pietu wrote: »

They do but can't really give it now, after all this ❤️❤️❤️❤️ ends, that is the time.

Thing is it should’ve been done way before this pandemic, it’s so dumb.
  • Pietu
    8255 posts League Winner
    Pietu wrote: »

Thing is it should’ve been done way before this pandemic, it’s so dumb.

Agreed but I hope those people don’t now start to demand pay rise and saying we won't work if you don’t give us a rise
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    edited March 2020
    If Southgate took 4 CBs in his 23 man squad next year, 2 older, more experienced, and 2 younger CBs, who is your backup experienced CB to Maguire?

I think Maguire and Gomez are two basically guaranteed for the squad, but the other two are very much open. Whoever has the better season out of Tomori and Tuanzebe could quite easily take the fourth spot imo, but who is your experienced backup to Maguire?

Just throwing out names here, no order of preference.

Stones/Mings/Keane/Tarkowski/Dunk
  • Tornado31619
    24962 posts Player of the Year
    Stones and Keane are binmen whilst Mings has been let down by the rest of his teammates this season. Dunk and Tarkowski IMO.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain

Horrible news, here's hoping he gets through it!
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain

I don't think this would come as a surprise to anyone, hopefully he does get called up. The Nations League is a great chance to give him a go in the senior team and let Southgate work with him ahead of the Euro's next summer.
  • Hicksy2011
    18485 posts World Class
    Yep
    Got to focus on the World Cup now imo
    I know the Euros is a big chance at winning something but it’s got to be the warm up for the main event
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Yep
    Got to focus on the World Cup now imo
    I know the Euros is a big chance at winning something but it’s got to be the warm up for the main event

I would hope that both Foden and Saka (if he chooses England) are in that Nations League squad too, this is the perfect time for Southgate to have a look at the three of them (including Greenwood as mentioned before) ahead of the Euros and beyond. They'll play big parts in the team going forward.
  • Kellnerr
    4251 posts National Call-Up
    Henderson, Pope, Pickford
    Trent, AWB, Gomez, Maguire, Tomori, Tarkowski, Chilwell
    Henderson, Rice, RLC, Ox, Grealish, Foden
    Kane, DCL, Greenwood, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Saka

That would be harsh on Maddison/Mount but a pretty strong 23 man squad, imo. I'd say it's better to plan rather for the long term (the World Cup), considering there are 2 big tournaments in 2 years. Means directly getting rid of Trippier for AWB. Saka as backup for both, wing and LB. Could also plan Rice as CB option to allow another CM like Winks or JWP getting into the squad instead of, for example, Tarkowski.
  • El_Nino
    7149 posts Big Money Move
    Kellnerr wrote: »

That would be harsh on Maddison/Mount but a pretty strong 23 man squad, imo. I'd say it's better to plan rather for the long term (the World Cup), considering there are 2 big tournaments in 2 years. Means directly getting rid of Trippier for AWB. Saka as backup for both, wing and LB. Could also plan Rice as CB option to allow another CM like Winks or JWP getting into the squad instead of, for example, Tarkowski.

Tammy got injured and hasn’t gotten back into the flow yet, but DLC over him is baffling to me. Tammy looks far far more promising long term.

Ox looks shot these days, barely plays for Liverpool, and struggles to do anything of note when he does. Mount or Maddison are far more deserving, while I am bias I would say Mount as he’s shown he can drop and play from deeper too, wheras I think Maddison needs to be a 10.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    edited July 2020

I think you're spot on with the vast majority of that, my only change would be Maddison in for RLC as things stand. I like RLC but it'd be a big assumption at this stage to assume he can find his form again after his struggles with his back. If people thought the balance of midfield options would be a little off with that change you could even bring Winks in instead. I'd want to see how RLC does next season in his return from injury before including him in a squad as you can see he's (understandably) currently not anywhere near his best given he's just back from injury.

Edit: I also wouldn't set in stone which one of Tammy and DCL get picked, would pick the one who is in best form approaching the Euros next season. But its entirely possible that Tammy loses his place next season to Werner (depending on how they set up) whereas I think DCL is going to get better over time.
  • El_Nino
    edited July 2020
    Henderson/Pope
    AWB/James—Maguire/Tarwoski—Gomez/Tomori—TAA/Chilwell
    Henderson/Rice—Mount/RLC
    Grealish/Foden
    Sterling/Rashford—Kane/Tammy—Sancho/Greenwood

That’s the starting XI and each positions back up for me.

IDK if slapping TAA/AWB on the left is possible; but if it is thats what id do, if not then James drops out for Saka.

As @Apollo says, at this moment in time Winks over RLC, but I’d back RLC to find his form and improve as he plays.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    edited July 2020
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Henderson/Pope
    Henderson/Rice—Mount/RLC
    Grealish/Foden

IDK if slapping TAA/AWB on the left is possible; but if it is thats what id do.
    That’s the starting XI and each positions back up for me

I don't mean this as a jibe, but I think you're being too biased towards Chelsea with that. Its too soon for James to justify moving TAA, whether he could play on the left or not. TAA and AWB on the right and Chilwell and Saka on the left is the far better option imo. And I don't think you can justify RLC over Maddison or Ox as things stand.

Edit: I didn't notice your edit about the fullbacks, that's more reasonable then acknowledging it might not work.
  • Hicksy2011
    18485 posts World Class
    I’m having Winks there 100%
    Winks and Ox to be the sort of balanced CM while Henderson/Rice sit and one of the many many number 10 options push on
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    I’m having Winks there 100%
    Winks and Ox to be the sort of balanced CM while Henderson/Rice sit and one of the many many number 10 options push on

It makes sense on the balance, I wasn't sure on that in my original post hence included two options for the RLC change. Slightly adjusting @Kellnerr 's squad then, this would be my squad as things stand.
    Henderson, Rice, Winks, Ox, Grealish, Foden
    Kane, DCL*, Greenwood, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Saka

*Whichever one of DCL and Tammy are in the best form ahead of the tournament.
  • Kellnerr
    4251 posts National Call-Up
    edited July 2020
    Agreed with most of what you guys are saying. I'm having Ox and RLC in there because I think they bring the most balance into midfield. But obviously RLC is a really big if and Winks or Mount are great options to have. DCL/Tammy is a close one too, but I just think the former is slightly more talented, that's why I have him in.
    I don't like the option of putting one of the RBs into the LB spot though tbh. Trent must be on the right to bring the balls into the box, you can't expect him having to cut inside to bring the cross every time. And AWB on the left seems just meh. Chilwell is absolutely good enough and him as a left footed option for set pieces is very important aswell.

edit: depending on how Ben White does next season in the PL, he might be an option aswell.
  • El_Nino
    edited July 2020
    Apollo wrote: »
    Henderson/Pope
    Henderson/Rice—Mount/RLC
    Grealish/Foden

I don't mean this as a jibe, but I think you're being too biased towards Chelsea with that. Its too soon for James to justify moving TAA, whether he could play on the left or not. TAA and AWB on the right and Chilwell and Saka on the left is the far better option imo. And I don't think you can justify RLC over Maddison or Ox as things stand.

Edit: I didn't notice your edit about the fullbacks, that's more reasonable then acknowledging it might not work.

If you ask most Chelsea fans, we’ll cite James as our best youngster, the guys quality, your right he needs to do more to prove it, but if I’m looking at an England squad for the future, it is inevitable(imo) that James will earn his place, so it’s just trying to figure out a way for Trent/AWB/James all to play a number of minutes. RN it’s easier as like you say James has more to prove, but I’m very confident he will.

My Argument for RLC over Maddison would be an easy one, they’d be playing an 8 role, almost next to Henderson, I don’t think Maddison can do that, he’s a 10 for me. Against Ox, right now; if you played a game tomorrow you’d pick Ox, but I get the feeling Ox has peaked, I don’t see him getting any better, wheras RLC could(it’s a big could depending on fitness and other things) But he could still improve Quite a bit, tbf either one is just a back up to mount as far as I see it, Mount has shown himself capable of playing a little deeper in that role, has a tonne of energy, and is constantly improving, and he’s the best option out of the many young number 10s to play as an 8 for England.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    edited July 2020
    Henderson/Pope
    Henderson/Rice—Mount/RLC
    Grealish/Foden

If you ask most Chelsea fans, we’ll cite James as our best youngster, the guys quality, your right he needs to do more to prove it, but if I’m looking at an England squad for the future, it is inevitable(imo) that James will earn his place, so it’s just trying to figure out a way for Trent/AWB/James all to play a number of minutes. RN it’s easier as like you say James has more to prove, but I’m very confident he will.

My Argument for RLC over Maddison would be an easy one, they’d be playing an 8 role, almost next to Henderson, I don’t think Maddison can do that, he’s a 10 for me. Against Ox, right now; if you played a game tomorrow you’d pick Ox, but I get the feeling Ox has peaked, I don’t see him getting any better, wheras RLC could(it’s a big could depending on fitness and other things) But he could still improve Quite a bit, tbf either one is just a back up to mount as far as I see it, Mount has shown himself capable of playing a little deeper in that role, has a tonne of energy, and is constantly improving.

I'm a huge fan of James. I'm not trying to downplay his potential at all, I think he's going to be a top class fullback. But for the squad for the Euros its too soon; I don't see a way for him in the squad given that I think shoehorning one of the RBs at LB wouldn't work at all. The squad for the following WC is a completely different matter and Southgate or whoever is manager at the time is going to have a nightmare (albeit a welcome one) trying to decide who to pick at RB.
  • WryLucky
    3617 posts National Call-Up
    RLC needs to recover from his injury fully first. Has barely got any minutes since that injury last year.
  • El_Nino
    Henderson/Pope
    Henderson/Rice—Mount/RLC
    Grealish/Foden

My Argument for RLC over Maddison would be an easy one, they’d be playing an 8 role, almost next to Henderson, I don’t think Maddison can do that, he’s a 10 for me. Against Ox, right now; if you played a game tomorrow you’d pick Ox, but I get the feeling Ox has peaked, I don’t see him getting any better, wheras RLC could(it’s a big could depending on fitness and other things) But he could still improve Quite a bit, tbf either one is just a back up to mount as far as I see it, Mount has shown himself capable of playing a little deeper in that role, has a tonne of energy, and is constantly improving.

I'm a huge fan of James. I'm not trying to downplay his potential at all, I think he's going to be a top class fullback. But for the squad for the Euros its too soon; I don't see a way for him in the squad given that I think shoehorning one of the RBs at LB wouldn't work at all. The squad for the following WC is a completely different matter and Southgate or whoever is manager at the time is going to have a nightmare (albeit a welcome one) trying to decide who to pick at RB.

Yeah that’s completely fair, I guess I was picturing too far down the line, I agree that as far as the Euros is concerned, James likely won’t be in the picture.

Hopefully Leeds get promoted and we can see Kalvin Phillips in the premier league too, I’d bet he’d be in the england picture very quickly.
  • Lard_Lad
    12757 posts Has That Special Something
    You all continue to ignore the best English CB. Jack O’Connell.
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain

Hopefully Southgate gives the starting spot to Henderson
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain

Don't like this decision at all, I think he's always done a good job on the England games. Hopefully Sky or BT get in contact with him and take him on because he's a very good commentator.
  • Hicksy2011
    18485 posts World Class
    I severely dislike him
    But that might just be because both Hoddle and Townsend are two of the most atrocious commentators around, and he had the misfortune of sharing a booth with them
    Christ Townsend might honestly be the worst pundit/commentator I have ever come across
  • Apollo
    20659 posts Club Captain
    I severely dislike him
    But that might just be because both Hoddle and Townsend are two of the most atrocious commentators around, and he had the misfortune of sharing a booth with them
    Christ Townsend might honestly be the worst pundit/commentator I have ever come across

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your second point, Hoddle and Townsend are absolutely abysmal co-commentators. I think you've made him guilty by association.
  • Hicksy2011
    18485 posts World Class
    I severely dislike him

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your second point, Hoddle and Townsend are absolutely abysmal co-commentators. I think you've made him guilty by association.

I hear ‘your commentator is Clive’ and immediately my heart sinks and reach for the mute button and it’s not his fault :joy: