Comments

• G000ner
    4789 posts National Call-Up
    Who starts instead? Shaw is too inconsistent and Williams is too raw.

Saka
  • Hicksy2011
    16380 posts World Class
    edited February 29
    So it might be too late for the Euros but I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how we are going to get some more of these RBs on the field
    I’m thinking playing with wing backs maybe
    James at LWB (or as an option there anyway)
    TAA at RWB
    Gomez Maguire AWB as a back 3?
    I’d imagine United fans would know a bit better whether AWB would be able to make that conversion
    With Trippier being a very able understudy at RWB, and Aarons one of many RBs coming through we probably need to get creative to get James and AWB involved
  • Tornado31619
    21123 posts Club Captain
    5ATB? That’s a no from me, chief.
    You want to get the best out of your attack. Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Kane. Play AWB LB with TAA on the right. Williams and James are too raw whilst Chilwell needs to sort his act out.
    Kane
    Rashford-Sterling-Sancho
    Chambo-Henderson
    AWB/Chilwell-Maguire-Gomez-TAA
    Deano
  • Ahmer50x
    22913 posts Club Captain
    If you go 5atb, TAA and Saka should surely be the wingbacks. Best attackers by miles even if they leave defensive holes but those would be covered by 3 CBs.
  • Apollo
    19448 posts World Class
    edited February 29
    You want to get the best out of your attack. Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Kane. Play AWB LB with TAA on the right. Williams and James are too raw whilst Chilwell needs to sort his act out.
    Kane
    Rashford-Sterling-Sancho
    Chambo-Henderson
    Deano

We play 433, it's by far Southgate's preferred formation

Rashford - Kane - Sancho/Sterling
    Grealish - Ox
    Henderson
    Chilwell - Maguire - Gomez - TAA
    Henderson

• Kellnerr
    3548 posts National Call-Up
    Apollo wrote: »
    Kane
    Rashford-Sterling-Sancho
    Chambo-Henderson
    Deano

We play 433, it's by far Southgate's preferred formation

Rashford - Kane - Sancho/Sterling
    Grealish - Ox
    Henderson
    Chilwell - Maguire - Gomez - TAA
    Henderson

Yeah mostly agree with that lineup, difficult to drop Sterling since he's been always good for England but we'll see. Rashford has to get fit in the first place anyway.
    No experiments like the 3ATB and no putting players not into their preferred position just for the sake of it.
  • Hicksy2011
    16380 posts World Class
    edited February 29
    I was talking about after the Euros anyway not for the Euros
    Just thinking like AWB Trent and James could be 3 of the top 5 RBs in the world in 5 years time and only having 1 on the pitch at a time would be a complete waste
    Unless of course we have like 10 world class players at that point
  • Tornado31619
    21123 posts Club Captain
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Just thinking like AWB Trent and James could be 3 of the top 5 RBs in the world in 5 years time and only having 1 on the pitch at a time would be a complete waste

It’s no different to having the three best GKs in the world, though.
  • Tornado31619
    21123 posts Club Captain
    Again, I forgot about Saka. He should definitely be considered over Chilwell IMO.
  • Hicksy2011
    16380 posts World Class

I mean it is though
    With Young Tripper and Walker we basically played 3 RBs at the last WC
  • Kellnerr
    3548 posts National Call-Up
    I'd say it's a luxury problem for a national team if they have many good players in one position. It's really bad luck for the players but cannot do anything about it really.
  • AaronMFC
    1816 posts Play-Off Hero

I mean it is though

Id argue that was our undoing in a way walker completely lost perisic since hes not a cb and boy did that cost us. I agree overall though just need to put a good defender as a cb not an attacking full back.
  • Tornado31619
    21123 posts Club Captain
    AaronMFC wrote: »

I mean it is though

Id argue that was our undoing in a way walker completely lost perisic since hes not a cb and boy did that cost us. I agree overall though just need to put a good defender as a cb not an attacking full back.

AWB isn’t a CB either, but he probably does a lot better in that scenario. Besides, you can’t shoot down a tactic based on one error that would have been irrelevant (if it even happened) had Kane just squared it to Sterling.
  • AaronMFC
    1816 posts Play-Off Hero

I mean it is though

AWB isn’t a CB either, but he probably does a lot better in that scenario. Besides, you can’t shoot down a tactic based on one error that would have been irrelevant (if it even happened) had Kane just squared it to Sterling.

I can shoot down a tactic of playing a rb who isnt a good defender to begin with at cb it was only a matter of time before walker cost us there hes man citys weak link as well. I agree i think AWB could play that role shaw has played as a cb a couple of times and looked decent as well.
  • Ahmer50x
    22913 posts Club Captain

I mean it is though

I can shoot down a tactic of playing a rb who isnt a good defender to begin with at cb it was only a matter of time before walker cost us there hes man citys weak link as well. I agree i think AWB could play that role shaw has played as a cb a couple of times and looked decent as well.

Yeah, Shaw has played LCB in Ole's 3-5-2 and looked really good.
  • Apollo
    19448 posts World Class
    Henderson, Pope, it doesn't matter. Pickford has shown time and time again, get one of the former two in goal.
  • Hicksy2011
    16380 posts World Class

Don’t worry boys the future will be here soon and it’s glorious
  • arsenalap
    8076 posts League Winner
    edited March 9
    Thinking about potential English world class talent:

Henderson
    TAA - Gomez - ? - Saka
    ? - ?
    Sancho - Foden - Rashford
    Greenwood

Who would you fill the ? with. Players U23.

Tomori?
    Rice?
    Maddison?

I dont see any of those 3 being top top class imo. Wondering which the 3 with the most potential are.
  • Apollo
    19448 posts World Class
    edited March 9
    Tuanzebe imo should be in contention. He's an incredible talent.
  • WryLucky
    2465 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited March 9
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Thinking about potential English world class talent:

Henderson
    TAA - Gomez - ? - Saka
    ? - ?
    Greenwood

Who would you fill the ? with. Players U23.

Tomori?
    Rice?
    Maddison?

I dont see any of those 3 being top top class imo. Wondering which the 3 with the most potential are.

Henderson
    TAA - Gomez - Tomori/Tuanzebe - Saka
    Maddison - Mount
    Greenwood

Obviously playing Maddison and Mount there would probably be a bad idea, I just don't think Rice is that good... Picking purely on how good they can get.
  • Hicksy2011
    16380 posts World Class
    edited March 9
    To be honest he probably won’t be world class but the style of play Winks has is the sort of player who peaks at about 30-34

So I think he’s still got a lot of room for improvement
    Post edited by Hicksy2011 on
  • arsenalap
    8076 posts League Winner
    I think the CB will be someone like Ben White.

The main issue is we need someone who can control the tempo of a game from deep, Gilmour would have been great if he was English..
  • Tornado31619
    21123 posts Club Captain
    So there are no clear candidates at LB. Williams is still raw, Chilwell’s been crap, Shaw too can be inconsistent whilst Saka is a winger. The most logical solution might be to play either Shaw or Chilwell, but if Rashford and/or Kane still aren’t fit enough to start at the Euros...

Sterling-ST-Sancho
    Grealish-Henderson
    Saka-Shaw-Maguire-Gomez-TAA
    Deano

Only one of TAA and Saka would push forward at a time, but when they do, your formation would switch to a 4231.

When Saka goes forward:

ST
    Saka-Sterling-Sancho
    Grealish-Henderson
    Shaw-Maguire-Gomez-TAA

And when TAA goes forward:

ST
    Sterling-Sancho-TAA
    Grealish-Henderson
    Saka-Shaw-Maguire-Gomez

Thoughts?
  • Apollo
    19448 posts World Class
    I personally don't think Southgate will change formation from his preferred 433. We've been playing it for the entire qualifiers, changing what works for us just before a major tournament is asking for trouble imo.
  • Pxul_
    9366 posts League Winner
    Should sterling even go to the euros?
  • Tornado31619
    21123 posts Club Captain
    Pxul_ wrote: »
    Should sterling even go to the euros?

I’d say so, unless he goes all Black Panther on Gomez again
  • Ahmer50x
    22913 posts Club Captain
    If someone is getting dropped from the euros, surely it’s Pickford?
  • Apollo
    19448 posts World Class

What a brilliant statement that is!