Comments

• arsenalap
    6061 posts Big Money Move
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    agree with Marcus about shouting out the Bulgaria captain. Takes balls to stand against your own fans, especially alone.

Yh thought it was very good of him.

If anything that was the most impactful moment of the night for me.
  • Apollo
    16231 posts World Class
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    agree with Marcus about shouting out the Bulgaria captain. Takes balls to stand against your own fans, especially alone.

Completely agree, good on him for doing that.
  • Tornado31619
    17832 posts World Class
    Want to see them try this **** at the Stadio Olimpico. Roma would come down on them so hard that they wouldn’t know what hit them.
  • arsenalap
    Want to see them try this **** at the Stadio Olimpico. Roma would come down on them so hard that they wouldn’t know what hit them.

What do you mean?

Racism is general?
  • Tornado31619
    17832 posts World Class
    edited October 14
    It is, but Roma are the only ones who seem to know what to do about it. Remember how they handled the Juan Jesus Instagram incident a few weeks back?
  • arsenalap
    It is, but Roma are the only ones who seem to know what to do about it. Remember how they handled the Juan Jesus Instagram incident a few weeks back?

I dont tbh I'll look it up.

I'll be honest I dont know which places in Italy are racist and which aren't.
  • arsenalap
    I take it back the Bulgaria manager said he didnt hear the chanting and said the English fans were the ones on bad behaviour..

Jesus christ.
  • Apollo
    16231 posts World Class
    arsenalap wrote: »
    I take it back the Bulgaria manager said he didnt hear the chanting and said the English fans were the ones on bad behaviour..

Jesus christ.

Was just about to post that, what an absolute **** he is to pretend it didn't happen and isn't a problem

• arsenalap
    I have to say though, whilst I think it's great taking this stance we really need to sort our own backyard out.

There is still racism in England, including at football games, and until we completely eradicate it, it will be an easy reply for any country to say look at yourselves too. Which is true in fairness, we cant preach what we dont practice fully.

Obviously you never hear monkey chants etc in England and its not as bad but still.
  • Apollo
    16231 posts World Class
    edited October 14
    I have to say though, whilst I think it's great taking this stance we really need to sort our own backyard out.

There is still racism in England, including at football games, and until we completely eradicate it, it will be an easy reply for any country to say look at yourselves too. Which is true in fairness, we cant preach what we dont practice fully.

Obviously you never hear monkey chants etc in England and its not as bad but still.

The thing is though, the clubs themselves are trying to do something about it in England. When someone is identified, they're banned for life. We have organisations like kick it out working to prevent discrimination. The country is by no means racism free sadly, but there are plenty of measures in place to deal with it and punish those who have been racist. There are still improvements to be made like the FA giving out proper punishments to clubs, not the ridiculous fines like they have been, but on the whole we're trying to do something about it.

Today was on another level and was utterly disgraceful. All racism is but this was particularly bad.
  • arsenalap
    Hmm I suppose we knew that already though?

There were that group of 50 who obviously pre planned it.
  • Apollo
    16231 posts World Class
    Hmm I suppose we knew that already though?

There were that group of 50 who obviously pre planned it.

You're right, I suppose it's just confirming it here.
  • Apollo
    16231 posts World Class
    edited October 15

Their coach should resign as well after what he said.
  • WryLucky
    1925 posts Play-Off Hero
    Should do something about the manager as well
  • arsenalap
    Good to see some accountability.

Manager needs to go.
  • Apollo
    16231 posts World Class
    WryLucky wrote: »
    Should do something about the manager as well
    Good to see some accountability.

Manager needs to go.

100%.
  • Apollo
    16231 posts World Class
    The work Sterling has done for a long time now in the fight against racism is amazing. He's an absolute role model, brilliant to see.
  • Hicksy2011
    13455 posts Has That Special Something
    This is exactly what we need, people like the Prime Minister and the Captain, white guys who stand up in these countries and say this behaviour is unacceptable
    They even have black players and they still are racist :(
  • Apollo
    16231 posts World Class

Not just words either, he's taking action. Good on the Prime Minister!
  • Apollo
    16231 posts World Class
    edited October 15

What a ****, that's even worse than the interview I posted last night
  • WryLucky
    1925 posts Play-Off Hero
    That guy is **** delusional
  • arsenalap
    Have to say I dont think the team should be punished. They all seemed like decent people. And I'm sure 80% of the fans are too.

Needs to be a way to punish those directly involved, and considering what the manager said him also.
  • WryLucky
    1925 posts Play-Off Hero
    7cfcffb47c22aef53529d67568d486de.png
  • Apollo
    16231 posts World Class
    WryLucky wrote: »
    7cfcffb47c22aef53529d67568d486de.png

What the actual ****
  • Rabauken
    218 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Thoroughly enjoying the English taking the moral high ground over racism 🤣
  • WryLucky
    1925 posts Play-Off Hero
    Rabauken wrote: »

At least we're not pretending it's not happening.
  • Apollo
    16231 posts World Class
    Rabauken wrote: »

What an utterly stupid thing to say, when someone is racist in English football they get banned for life, we also have organisations like Kick it out working to stop racism. There is still a long way to go in England but the situation last night was unbelievable. Clubs have a zero tolerance policy in England, so I reiterate, what an utterly stupid thing to say.
  • Hicksy2011
    13455 posts Has That Special Something
    Ok if you want to convince yourself that
    But ive never heard any racist abuse at a football match that ive been at
    My group of friends is highly multicultural and you get the very occasional incident with some drunk idiot but mostly its a non issue
    Obviously there will be areas where its not good but its one of the best countries for dealing with racism
    Actually its been when ive been in Wales and Scotland that i have encountered issues