Bring back individual IF upgrades

Orison
67944 posts Icon
@EA_Andy I know you (apparently) read feedback on here and now that my boy Griez receives a few more special cards I think it's time for this thread (again).

Why on earth did we get individual IF upgrades depending on a player's performance back in Fifa 11 and 12, but not anymore despite the game being much bigger now?

This is what we got back in the day when a CB scored a screamer
fa3e476d96eaf4a62c89c0dd79fa7089.png

This is what we get now when a player scores FOUR goals
9a0ed8f3680a873c5db3795e6490501e.png

It's clearly based on a completely generic algorithm. The algorithm gave him +1 shooting and therefore all his shooting stats went up by 1. 1 finishing for scoring four goals is laughable to say the least.

There gotta be some sort of team deciding on IFs so why can't that team also give out a few more individual upgrades? It clearly was a thing in the past. I am a Griez fan so I will buy him nontheless, but why should anyone who isn't a die hard Fifa fan fire the game up again for some generic +1 upgrades?

This game needs more diversity and more interesting cards imo. This algorithm for IF upgrades might have saved someone 30mins of work per week, but it's another piece that adds to the dullness of this game atm (don't even get me started on those rating refresh cards that were close to being an insult to the community).

Comments

• Daveofwales01
    8448 posts League Winner
    I completely agree
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    This would be nice. It also helps with the overloading of special cards as you can differentiate them a bit.
  • Mako_Sulu
    538 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I agree, the IF should reflect why the player got the IF not just a generic upgrade. Would be some really fun cards produced too!
  • Nate
    2153 posts Fans' Favourite
    Agree with this 100%, why they're so afraid of decent upgrades on good players is beyond me.

Meanwhile you have players like IF Alessandrini and SIF Lozano with stats that rival a lot of actual top players running around because they started out as lower rated golds. As you've said, whatever algorithm is in place seems to favor lower rated cards getting multiple IFs rather than actual good players performing well.
  • Azof
    19890 posts Club Captain
    theyd have to employ someone then instead of it being an automated system

all about saving money
  • TwoZebras
    6741 posts Big Money Move
    That's a pitiful upgrade :D

4 goals gets you +1...
  • Oliver Powell
    2852 posts Fans' Favourite
    yeah but effort.
  • Orison
    67944 posts Icon
    Azof wrote: »

all about saving money

@Azof I mean someone is employed to work out which players get IFs :joy: I don't know which team does it or when they do it, but someone clearly does it. I don't think I wanna even start to compare their revenue for Fifa 18 with that one for Fifa 12 and yet they still cheap out more and more :D
    Nate wrote: »
    Agree with this 100%, why they're so afraid of decent upgrades on good players is beyond me.

Meanwhile you have players like IF Alessandrini and SIF Lozano with stats that rival a lot of actual top players running around because they started out as lower rated golds. As you've said, whatever algorithm is in place seems to favor lower rated cards getting multiple IFs rather than actual good players performing well.

@Nate yeah, atm it's basically huge upgrades up to 84 and then 86+ IFs are useless. High rated cards never received huge allround upgrades which I kinda understand, but this year upgrades got so stingy and generic that it's embarassing. I compared 90 Griez from this year and last year and this year he's already like 3 physical or so behind despite starting on one MORE physical on the NIF :# Even the 91 Griez got 1 less physical than the 90 from last year so if he receives a TOTS and those stingy upgrades continue he might be LESS usable than last year despite receiving MORE special cards during the year.
  • NornIron
    15400 posts World Class
    edited March 2018
    Only problem is back then there wasn't a promo every other week. Would be alright if it was just TOTW, TOTY and TOYS, next year we'll probably have pancake day the way its going.
  • WoundedGoat
    13105 posts Has That Special Something
    edited March 2018
    Azof wrote: »

all about saving money

I’m sure a YouTuber will do it m, can’t do their PR 7 days a week can they.
  • murazor
    7860 posts League Winner
    I completely agree

• YOLOT0URE
    7908 posts League Winner
    Not to defend EA here but I think griez is a bad example cos he has loads of special cards. I do agree though that we need something improved than we get. That’s why I’ve always said they need to drop the NIF ratings to start. Make Messi/ronaldo tops 88, make golds 70 and up, silvers 60 and up. That would reduce the issue that we get now where they can only give minimal upgrades
  • Orison
    67944 posts Icon
    NornIron wrote: »
    Only problem is back then there wasn't a promo every other week. Would be alright if it was just TOTW, TOTY and TOYS, next year we'll probably have pancake day the way its going.

@NornIron would it be a problem tho? I'm all for giving out individual upgrades for promos too.

We know that this game is all about the "meta" these days so to make more than those 20-30 players usable we need more diversity on special cards. If they think stats need to matter and silvers should be trash then give us huge upgrades on promos, give us a special CAM Draxler with 99 longshots, give us an 85 pace Kane with a 5* WF if he goes on an awesome run and scores a WF goal or something like that.

If they desperately want stats to matter then give more players stats that make them usable.

Yes it would require more work to design those cards and make those upgrades, but it might pay off as people would actually want those cards. Lets be real atm nobody would ever load up fp for those rating refresh or scream cards.
  • Orison
    67944 posts Icon
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Not to defend EA here but I think griez is a bad example cos he has loads of special cards. I do agree though that we need something improved than we get. That’s why I’ve always said they need to drop the NIF ratings to start. Make Messi/ronaldo tops 88, make golds 70 and up, silvers 60 and up. That would reduce the issue that we get now where they can only give minimal upgrades

@YOLOT0URE even if you just compare both 90 rated cards you can see the difference in the algorithm this year
    ae44abaf07b294c2725a92a19d0cc645.png

And it's the case for all high rated cards even for the ones only having 1 special card. Upgrades are simply god awful this year.
  • iitalic
    1893 posts Play-Off Hero
    kompany outpaces auba in league cup final, then gets a huge pace upgrade on pace in his motm. would definitely make special cards more interesting. the fact the dont ever give skill or weak foot upgrades on individual cards aswell is missed opportunity. think dybala scored both goals with right foot on his RW card. give him a 4 or 5 star weak foot on that specific card.
  • WoundedGoat
    13105 posts Has That Special Something
    Anything to switch it up, all totw is to me is an opportunity to trade.

SBC fodder
  • WFCBagnall
    91307 posts Moderator
    IMG_qe6jd3.jpg

Proper players get proper upgrades @Orison :trollface:
  • Orison
    67944 posts Icon
    iitalic wrote: »
    kompany outpaces auba in league cup final, then gets a huge pace upgrade on pace in his motm. would definitely make special cards more interesting. the fact the dont ever give skill or weak foot upgrades on individual cards aswell is missed opportunity. think dybala scored both goals with right foot on his RW card. give him a 4 or 5 star weak foot on that specific card.

@iitalic the skills and WF one is beyond me tbh. Pretty sure we suggest those upgrades ever since IFs exist. In previous years they stated that it's not possible due to skills and WF somehow being linked to the card ID or whatever, but their annual skill and WF upgrades (and also the introduction of this El Tornado activation ❤️❤️❤️❤️) clearly shows that they are now able to upgrade those things so how on earth are we still not getting it.
  • Orison
    67944 posts Icon
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    IMG_qe6jd3.jpg

Proper players get proper upgrades @Orison :trollface:

@WFCBagnall if you add up all his upgrades and divide them by 6 you get an average of 8. Was his base card rating 69 (77-8) or what? :trollface: Even that one is generic imo.
  • Cadey 5
    14006 posts Has That Special Something
    Strikers get in forms for scoring goals its no big secret if you want individual upgrades should be based on "special occasions" like that CB.
  • Orison
    67944 posts Icon
    edited March 2018
    Cadey 5 wrote: »
    Strikers get in forms for scoring goals its no big secret if you want individual upgrades should be based on "special occasions" like that CB.

Strikers can score goals with their WF, headers, screamers, volleys, and so on, there is no need for a generic +1 upgrade on all stats.

If someone scores 4 goals from inside the box he shouldn't get a generic +1 finishing and if someone scores with his WF and even scored a WF screamer the week before you should be able to give him atleast +1 WF as well.
  • uhMaZiiNq
    12116 posts Has That Special Something
    And this is a big reason why the game has been on a steady decline since 12. IFs used to be fun. Now they just slap +1s and minimal upgrades that you have to pay out the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ for when in reality you probably won't even notice a difference 90% of the time
  • VanBasten12
    6784 posts Big Money Move
    edited March 2018
    Last year I posted about the starting ratings - that is essentially what needs to be addressed first and foremost, IMO. Essentially this is what causes these negligible upgrades as there is literally no space for EA to play with, after 1 or more special cards.

Then, EA will be in a position to apply appropriate upgrades - even on the higher rated cards.

The consistency of pack sales is what they're after. Why give a 3rd special card with 95 shooting, when his past TOTS cards only got to there? Basically it will devalue the TOTS cards thereby making them less sought after.

So, I am agreeing with you that there is simply a formula being applied (lazy) but there is more to it than going all out on upgrades.
  • Bob_Dylan
    21308 posts Club Captain
    YES
  • Orison
    67944 posts Icon
    Last year I posted about the starting ratings - that is essentially what needs to be addressed first and foremost, IMO. Essentially this is what causes these negligible upgrades as there is literally no space for EA to play with, after 1 or more special cards.

Then, EA will be in a position to apply appropriate upgrades - even on the higher rated cards.

The consistency of pack sales is what they're after. Why give a 3rd special card with 95 shooting, when his past TOTS cards only got to there? Basically it will devalue the TOTS cards thereby making them less sought after.

So, I am agreeing with you that there is simply a formula being applied (lazy) but there is more to it than going all out on upgrades.

@VanBasten12 there is basically infinite space to play with as long as you get away from having to upgrade all stats on IFs.

Give us a special card with only shooting+WF upgrades (for scoring 4 and scoring with his WF too) and then in the end the TOTS card will be the one upgraded in all areas across the board. Then you would have an IF with 95 shooting and maybe another one with 80+ physical, but the TOTS would have 95 shooting AND the pace and physical and whatever.

I agree that consistency of pack sales is what they might be after, but does it work? Do people open packs consistently? Do they buy fp for +1 upgrades or even worse those rating refresh cards? I highly doubt it. Sadly they don't release any numbers so I can't back it up, but imo pack sales aren't consistent, there is release, TOTY and TOTS and then a lot of dips and holes inbetween.
  • VanBasten12
    Let's be real @Orison ... when it comes to IF upgrades, there's not much that can be upgraded. For an attacker - what ... pace, shooting, dribbling is all what people care about. Sure, the example of the WF upgrade on that specific card, would make it really valuable/worthy to own. You then make the decision to go to the next IF for a different reason - maybe higher shooting but sacrificing the WF upgrade.

I just don't get what the fixation is on starting cards have to be in the 90's. Special IF's, MOTM cards could then be upgraded appropriately for the specific performance ... kinda like I said last year.
  • Orison
    67944 posts Icon
    Let's be real @Orison ... when it comes to IF upgrades, there's not much that can be upgraded. For an attacker - what ... pace, shooting, dribbling is all what people care about. Sure, the example of the WF upgrade on that specific card, would make it really valuable/worthy to own. You then make the decision to go to the next IF for a different reason - maybe higher shooting but sacrificing the WF upgrade.

I just don't get what the fixation is on starting cards have to be in the 90's. Special IF's, MOTM cards could then be upgraded appropriately for the specific performance ... kinda like I said last year.

Yeah, pace, shooting, dribbling and physical. That's already 4/6 stats that can be upgraded in a better way than giving out generic +1s.

WF and skill upgrades would benefit every single player in this game apart from Neymar, Nani, Dembele, Vitinho and Musonda.
  • TimRUFC
    3932 posts National Call-Up
    Griezmann already had 88 shooting ffs :joy: a centre back then yes maybe but using Griez as an example is really not helping your cause I’m afraid
  • Orison
    67944 posts Icon
    TimRUFC wrote: »
    Griezmann already had 88 shooting ffs :joy: a centre back then yes maybe but using Griez as an example is really not helping your cause I’m afraid

@TimRUFC 88 shooting means there are another 11 points for upgrades.

His 90 rated card got 91 finishing, he scores 4 goals and gets 92 finishing? If you don't understand how that doesn't make any sense then I can't help you either.
  • VanBasten12
    Orison wrote: »
    TimRUFC wrote: »

@TimRUFC 88 shooting means there are another 11 points for upgrades.

His 90 rated card got 91 finishing, he scores 4 goals and gets 92 finishing? If you don't understand how that doesn't make any sense then I can't help you either.

But then what after that?

Seriously, you're not thinking further than this 1 last game?