The Key to Unlocking Prime Rijkaard's potential....

JustFigureItOut
48 posts Park Captain
At first I thought I had wasted my hard earned coins on this Prime Rijkaard untradeable card. Why?
He felt Clunky, hard to turn, sometimes out of position, barely intercepting anything. He felt more of a liability in all honesty. It was if I was forcing him in my team.

However I decided to study this card's movement and see how he acts and reacts to changing certain settings. And finally I unlocked the true frank Rijkaard, arguably the 2nd best CDM in the game, Viera is just undisputed. SO how did I do it? Listen up!!!

Went through some Chemistry styles: Engine, Anchor, Backbone, Sentinel and Shadow. I must say that his performance was best with Shadow.

Normally I play with defensive custom tactics as follows: PRESSURE - 44, AGGRESSION - 47 TEAM WIDTH 45.
Whichever formation i use, this is mostly my tactics to start the game with. However Rijkaard looked like junk with those tactics, with his base stat of Aggression being 78 and defensive workrate at Medium he just hovered around the CDM spot, doing nothing basically. The Key here is to increase the Aggression in your custom tactics between 63-65, making ur players more aggressive towards the ball. Rijkaard responded to this change.

Then in the CDM spot which he really is the most effective at, change his Defensive Behaviour to Cut Passing Lanes and Stay Back while attacking. Leave his Interceptions at Normal, I tried using Aggressive but sometimes he over-commit in tackles which led to gaps in the defense.

Interestingly, I also noticed a huge difference as well when keeping the Defensive Line on Cover. Sometimes I change it up and use Offside but this did hamper Rijkaard because he was not covering plays very well. Essentially you want the AI to intercept with ur CDM or at least put him in position for you to make a good tackle and these are the settings that worked when I studied him and changed to these tactics.

Of course everyone's play-style is different and what works for one may not work for another. It must go without saying though that Rijkaard is not agile and not a goal scorer but he is an EXCELLENT passer and EXCELLENT interceptor and tackler once you use him as such, afterall you have to stick to a players strength; you certainly will not be going at Ferdinand with Messi expecting to out-muscle him on goal, that's not the cards prowess. Stick to what Rijkaard does best and he will make a wonderful addition to ur squad.

Comments

• Amanduz
    722 posts Semi-Pro
    85 Blanc is way better didn’t like Rijkaard turns like a truck and is lazy. 85 Blanc way more agile, fast and cheap
  • JustFigureItOut
    48 posts Park Captain
    85 Blanc is wasted at the lone CDM spot. Need your CDM to do some basic stuff; cover ur backline and start ur attack or support ur attack. Rijkaard does this excellently. 85 Blanc is certainly a better CM and much more versatile in attack and will score. If used in a 2 CDM formation I would agree but would be wasted as a lone CDM.
  • D3ATHSQUAD
    2984 posts National Call-Up
    edited March 2018
    I have basically all those settings and Rijkaard is great (I do have my aggression / pressure higher). I actually am using Prime Blanc at CB also.

Rijkaard will be my CDM the rest of the year in my 41212 wide - Replaced IF Nainggolan with him.
  • ozcs_69
    3990 posts National Call-Up
    nice post dude, thank you
  • Lcfc
    2490 posts Fans' Favourite
    Nice post I dropped rijkaard for bakayogo I found him that trash
  • Rajivvv86
    1500 posts Play-Off Hero
    How about playing him in a 4-3-3(4) at CM? I am currently using him there but feel that Nainggolan and Vidal are more noticeable on the pitch. Should I revert to 433(2)?
  • JustFigureItOut
    48 posts Park Captain
    Nainggolan and Vidal have High/High workrates so they would be more noticeable at 433(4) bcuz that formation is high pressing. However it really depends on how u play, if u like to play fast and high pressing then high/high workrates on ur CM would be more ideal. However if u control ur pace and have a slower type of build up play then Medium/Medium (Rijkaard) could work.

I personally like my CM's to be very good dribblers and have a good long-shots on them so for me Rijkaard would feel out of place bcuz whereas he has decent pace he is not agile and his shooting is not bad but its not great and he does takes awhile to shoot.

433(2) is pretty decent this year. You can try it with Rijkaard as the CDM, worst can happen is that you don't like it and just change back.

• byronw1983
    1610 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited March 2018
    Nice post, but even with a shadow on him he’s slow, clunky and useless. Great hair though. He’s just not worth the coins. The 54 balance has mugged him off

SIF/TIF Savic, IF Nain and Blanc p*** all over him
  • robrau83
    246 posts Sunday League Hero
    I play 4222 and have Vidal and Gundogan at CDM now. I am saving up for Rijkaard, only the 86 and 87 SBC to go. Hopefully he will do fine for me when I replace Gundogan for him.
  • Nicku32
    2269 posts Fans' Favourite
    85 Blanc is wasted at the lone CDM spot. Need your CDM to do some basic stuff; cover ur backline and start ur attack or support ur attack. Rijkaard does this excellently. 85 Blanc is certainly a better CM and much more versatile in attack and will score. If used in a 2 CDM formation I would agree but would be wasted as a lone CDM.

I used Blanc the last 20 games as a CDM in 41212(2) and he's definitely not good enough defensively.
  • JustFigureItOut
    48 posts Park Captain
    D3ATHSQUAD wrote: »
    I have basically all those settings and Rijkaard is great (I do have my aggression / pressure higher). I actually am using Prime Blanc at CB also.

Rijkaard will be my CDM the rest of the year in my 41212 wide - Replaced IF Nainggolan with him.

Rijkaard is also not moving from my CDM spot as well, as long as i play a formation using a lone CDM. He does certain things that you cant ignore. He literally put TOTY Ronaldo to the floor one match, out-muscles everyone and when he tackles he wins the ball back, some players when u tackle with them they just poke the ball but ur opponent still manages to keep possession, Rijkaard wins the ball. Another thing is that he blocks shots very well, keep him in front of ur attacker if he tries to shoot he will block it, maybe its bcuz his previous card the 88 one was a CB but man he blocks the shot once in position. Lastly he just is a presence, once people see him they try to avoid plays near him and that's half the battle won, lol, just how i feel when i come up against Vieira - got to avoid that dude....