OT: EA may soon have to release the odds of packing a certain player, link inside

Comments

• Andybelfast
    10974 posts Has That Special Something
    Won't happen
  • LuckyStrikE
    3484 posts National Call-Up
    Won't happen

It could. They may make a deal to not classify it as gambling as long as they state the odds.

It makes sense though. A kid should be aware of his chance to get the player he is after.

• Chappy
    4405 posts National Call-Up
    Won't happen

Nothing will happen quickly, but it’s definitely something they should be worried about.
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    Yeah not this again.
  • I understand that odds would be helpful but at the same time we all know tha odds are astronomical however I’m sure we’ve also all pulled something insane at some point. So we keep chugging along
  • JohnDoe
    11692 posts Has That Special Something
    edited February 2018
    I understand that odds would be helpful but at the same time we all know tha odds are astronomical however I’m sure we’ve also all pulled something insane at some point. So we keep chugging along

That’s not the only point here. What if EA adjusts the pack weight according to the number of packs they predict will be opened during a certain period (e.g., TOTY, LNY), for example? Or what if certain parameters of the user metadata they seemingly collect from UT modes affect your odds of packing a certain player? That’s the kind of stuff I’d like to see answered.
  • JohnDoe wrote: »
    I understand that odds would be helpful but at the same time we all know tha odds are astronomical however I’m sure we’ve also all pulled something insane at some point. So we keep chugging along

That’s not the only point here. What if EA adjusts the pack weight according to the number of packs they predict will be opened during a certain period (e.g., TOTY, LNY), for example? Or what if certain parameters of the user metadata they seemingly collect from UT modes affect your odds of packing a certain player? That’s the kind of stuff I’d like to see answered.

A fair point and I agree completely.
  • Waldog94
    3028 posts National Call-Up
    When you were a kid and opened a pack of pokemon cards did u know your chance of packing charizard or class it as gambling
  • Jono6989
    331 posts Sunday League Hero
    Waldog94 wrote: »
    When you were a kid and opened a pack of pokemon cards did u know your chance of packing charizard or class it as gambling

Whilst this point is somewhat valid, retrospectively they weren't astromically priced to purchase considering they had logistics and production costs just so you could buy them, FIFA points being a virtual item and essentially of 'no cost' to EA, complete different ball game in my opinion
  • Azof
    17887 posts World Class
    Jono6989 wrote: »

Whilst this point is somewhat valid, retrospectively they weren't astromically priced to purchase considering they had logistics and production costs just so you could buy them, FIFA points being a virtual item and essentially of 'no cost' to EA, complete different ball game in my opinion

There was no pokemon card pack that sold for 20 quid and you were allowed to trade directly for what you wanted or cash out
  • uhMaZiiNq
    12112 posts Has That Special Something
    All these ultimate team modes adjust their pack odds all the time too. It's a joke. Best solution is to stop lol
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    If it says you have 0.000027% chance of the pack containing Ronaldo, do you think that would stop little Billy?

We all know pack weight is awful. We all know that it’s highly likely we’ll get nothing of value. This isn’t news. But people open thousands of packs anyway.

At most it will say “1 in 3 chance of a top player” and you’ll get Dost.
  • Knowlesdinho
    13061 posts Has That Special Something

No, but it didn’t cost me a ridiculous amount, I could swap with my mates, I still have them now, and can sell them because they still hold some value.
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain

No, but it didn’t cost me a ridiculous amount, I could swap with my mates, I still have them now, and can sell them because they still hold some value.

I am not gonna get involved in this gambling or not discussion again but how did they not cost a ridiculous amount?

I collected Yu Gi Oh cards when I was young and a pack of 5 cards was like €5
  • Azof
    17887 posts World Class
    Santiago wrote: »

I am not gonna get involved in this gambling or not discussion again but how did they not cost a ridiculous amount?

A full deck was about 8 quid so 5 cards was not 5 euro
  • Knowlesdinho

I’m not getting involved in the gambling side of things myself.

Some of these packs cost over £15 (I’m not sure exactly because I don’t buy them), for something that is worthless in a few months time, even if you pack R9!

At least with trading cards/stickers you still have them in years to come and some become really valuable.
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    edited February 2018
    @Azof
    I know what I spent mate.
    It was €5
  • uhMaZiiNq
    12112 posts Has That Special Something
    Azof wrote: »

Yeah and they had those tin things with like a special card and like 5 or so packs for $20 if I remember correctly. You can spend $20 on FIFA and get barely anything in return 9/10 times
  • YOLOT0URE
    7892 posts League Winner
    Oh Fifa is gambling again...yawn
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Oh Fifa is gambling again...yawn

It's a gamble, like a fart when you have the runs, but it's not gambling.
  • Mako_Sulu
    538 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Gonna be so many moaning posts by people who don’t understand probability.

“Player X is 1/1000 chance and I opened 1000 packs and didn’t get him!”
  • Azof
    17887 posts World Class

Yeah and they had those tin things with like a special card and like 5 or so packs for $20 if I remember correctly. You can spend $20 on FIFA and get barely anything in return 9/10 times

nah m8 it clearly was 1 euro per card, we have been told
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain

It was for me. Why would I lie ffs
    And I am pretty positive because we used to go to the mall every week and my parents would give me €10 so I could buy 2 packs.
  • Knowlesdinho
    Whatever side of the fence you’re on, surely something that stirs up so much emotion from people needs looking at by a regulatory agency?
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year

And I am pretty positive because we used to go to the mall every week and my parents would give me €10 so I could buy 2 packs.

5 ton a year on Yu Hi Oh cards. It's like they were preparing you for a pack addiction.
  • Alex_cr
    5803 posts Big Money Move
    Whatever side of the fence you’re on, surely something that stirs up so much emotion from people needs looking at by a regulatory agency?

Sadly this is true. It seems to me that there’s a lot of people on here who actually want to protect themselves.

While I don’t see it as gambling like I would a fruit machine etc, clearly there is an addiction problem.

The funny thing is every argument about this has a ‘what about the kids’ theme. I think that’s a bit of a smokescreen because most children don’t have access to funds because their parents would ensure they can’t be rinsed. I realise there will be exceptions.

Personally I think removing Fifa points would be a great thing. I think those that spend a lot of money would realise they would get a great deal more satisfaction out of the game by building their team. Sadly, I don’t think it will happen, maybe some minor tweaks to how things work.
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    Peter wrote: »

5 ton a year on Yu Hi Oh cards. It's like they were preparing you for a pack addiction.

5 ton?
    Like 500 euro