So what do you think the priority is for an icon and are the decision makers correct?

Drizzt
475 posts An Exciting Prospect
Hi gang,

Just shooting the breeze atm and I was thinking about Legends and Icons and the decsions EA/Fifa make in who gets the nod.

TLDR, but anywho.

Firstly I assume it's about image rights and costs that is first on their list followed by who should be or is it visa versa? Do club hold rights to a lot of these players still or do some just don't want anything to do with Fifa? Why no Zidane or Cantona for example? Now Cantona is a strange one because he and others like Zico and Riverlinho were in Fifa as part of the classic 11 for 3 years, but never seemed to make the step up to UT which always irked me. I know it's not easy to do deals, but hey, you got Maradona who I thought would never ever be in Fifa, so if you can get him, surely Zindane or Cruyff cannot be that hard (I understand players not alive may be a lot harder).

One thing that concerns me is that I feel they never really do the middle to lower end legends/Icons justice to the point where I question why they have them in game and I do have to ask who makes the decisions on what skills/stats for these players have and have they actually seen them play. Even some of the top icons such as MVB I feel isn't done justice. Are these devs old enough to have seen these players? I'm not being condesending, but I do question the devs. Sometimes I think they've just watch a clip or two of them and said meh, give em this stats.They seem to have no problems making Vieira or Gullit or Maldini amazing, but way too many are just meh or I can find a Martial or Sane that is a lot better.

I know many won't agree, but I feel every Icon should be better than any other non Icon players in their position in the game bar CR7 and Messi and no way should Jesus be better than Inzaghi or Musa be better than Shearer. Yes, some even now could be better than some Icons such as Neymar better than Overmars or Pires? Debateble but generally, most Icons should be and were better than the current players we have now.

For Fifa 19, I feel there should be some input from us the players as to who we would like in the game as Icons or just like TOTY, some poll of players and let us choose. I would even be happy if the current crop was completely removed and fresh new blood put in ala Cantona, Zico, Beckham, Socrates, Seedof, Baggio etc.

After that, then these players should all be released at once and not staggered and the stats should reflect these players and make them shine more than the gold carders.

Okay, said my ramble.

Feel free to respond, even if it is just to shut up!

Cheers gang.


Comments

  • Safk001
    848 posts Semi-Pro
    It’s hard to add to what you have wrote as it’s pretty spot on, and a good question does the players or the clubs hold the rights, I’m guessing each contract is different.

    As for Fifa 19 it’s looking more and more likely that it will be the last annual Fifa as it’s been reported that they are going to release the next one and have it constantly updated rather than an annual release (probably subscription based to offset the losses)

    It’s slightly off topic but how would that affect the Icons? They can’t be upgraded due to performance, once out they are out and you may see many more as they would need to be constantly bringing out new content. Would everyone have an Icon team over time and regular players become irrelevant?

    I’m waffling now.
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    Letting people vote is an awful idea. We’d end up with Donavan but worse.

    EA will have to deal with licenses but that isn’t easy.

    They’ve done better with who they’ve added this year but just failed miserably with how they’ve been released.
  • Waldog94
    1620 posts Play-Off Hero
    I would love to see zidane but i think they should release all primes at the start and then the sbc's for them throughout the year r96 was a big headliner this year and the game is going to be nearly done by the time we get him
  • Drizzt
    475 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Safk001 wrote: »
    It’s hard to add to what you have wrote as it’s pretty spot on, and a good question does the players or the clubs hold the rights, I’m guessing each contract is different.

    As for Fifa 19 it’s looking more and more likely that it will be the last annual Fifa as it’s been reported that they are going to release the next one and have it constantly updated rather than an annual release (probably subscription based to offset the losses)

    It’s slightly off topic but how would that affect the Icons? They can’t be upgraded due to performance, once out they are out and you may see many more as they would need to be constantly bringing out new content. Would everyone have an Icon team over time and regular players become irrelevant?

    I’m waffling now.

    Yea m8, good point. Not sure how this would effect Icons if they go World of Warcraft and just update the current model ever year.
    DaveSaves wrote: »
    Letting people vote is an awful idea. We’d end up with Donavan but worse.

    EA will have to deal with licenses but that isn’t easy.

    They’ve done better with who they’ve added this year but just failed miserably with how they’ve been released.

    Well one question I've always asked is what exactly is an Icon/Legend? The answer isn't simple and even though I don't think Donavan was a legend or Icon, or even Hernandez, they're a legend/Icon in their country and sometimes outside.

    I'm 47 so my list would have the usual suspects such as Zidane, Cantona, Gazza (loved him), Dalglish, Cryuff and I would take these even over Gerrard, Lampard and many other modern day "great players" who've retired. There again, I don't think I'm in the Fifa demographic so why should they care what I think a legend is :wink:

    I know it could turn into a ....show if we the public could decide, however if the it was a poll where EA gave us a list of 50, surely then it wouldn't be as bad?

  • Drizzt
    475 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Waldog94 wrote: »
    I would love to see zidane but i think they should release all primes at the start and then the sbc's for them throughout the year r96 was a big headliner this year and the game is going to be nearly done by the time we get him

    Yea, back in 15 or 16 I think they admitted they made a mistake in staggard releasing of Icons so not sure why they've gone down the same route again. No Pele, Mara or R9 yet with none of them on the horizon and more and more people leaving the game, they dropped the ball again.

    Once again, who makes these decisions? Do they really think when they finally release these Icons, loads of packs are going to be opened? Yes a spike, but by then only the hardcore will be left and even then it seems loads are leaving to play Fortnite :)
Sign In or Register to comment.