WL matchmaking seriously needs explained.

iNero
797 posts Semi-Pro
every weekend i go 10-0 or 12-2 ect ... then i finish GOLD 2

i have did nothing but improve i can see my improvement yet i finish the same place every week last year i consistently got gold 1/elite 3.

i play 4 friends in season friendly's
completed season history is
13-0
5-1
8-0
2-0

they all finish gold 2 as well but i fairly easily beat them and at no point have they had any kind of WL record like 10-0 they usually go through it 1-2 wins ahead of losses.

Comments

• number7rocky
    4194 posts National Call-Up
    I was 16-3 now 21-9 going to end up gold 1. Its frustrating all I play is mostly elite playerw because my predicted rank is elite the whole weekend yet someone else can start poorly but will be predicted gold etc... And will get easier opponents and likely end up he same rank as me
  • iNero
    797 posts Semi-Pro
    I was 16-3 now 21-9 going to end up gold 1. Its frustrating all I play is mostly elite playerw because my predicted rank is elite the whole weekend yet someone else can start poorly but will be predicted gold etc... And will get easier opponents and likely end up he same rank as me

and that's simply **** its certainly the way it feels.
    if its going to give harder opponents going for elite that's fine but we shouldn't be facing harder opponents until after gold 1 finish its just unfair that players far far worse than me finish in the same place because of bs matchmaking.
  • Just wondering.do you get stressed out and angry when you lose a few games in a row.cause iv e found over last couple of weeks that not bothering to much when I lose a game has improved me.
  • Retro_G
    28152 posts Player of the Year
    This is what happens when you don't use a proper competitive ladder. The player has no sense of progression.
  • Mutu10gol
    2477 posts Fans' Favourite
    Retro_G wrote: »
    This is what happens when you don't use a proper competitive ladder. The player has no sense of progression.

agree wiht this
  • Fuego
    484 posts An Exciting Prospect
    It’s based on predictive ranking
  • byronw1983
    1610 posts Play-Off Hero
    ELO and dramtic difficulty. It’s as simple as that.
  • ICUP
    3910 posts National Call-Up
    Not to be a C0nt or anything but WL is meant to be hard, I feel that the matchmaking is good as it is and people are complaining because they are coming against players in progression that they just can't beat
  • Lcfc
    2490 posts Fans' Favourite
    Becarful what ya put the ea police might be watching
  • byronw1983
    1610 posts Play-Off Hero
    ICUP wrote: »
    Not to be a C0nt or anything but WL is meant to be hard, I feel that the matchmaking is good as it is and people are complaining because they are coming against players in progression that they just can't beat

Match making I have no issue with. It’s the ‘dramatic moments’ in the game. Nothing you can do about those.
  • ICUP
    byronw1983 wrote: »

Match making I have no issue with. It’s the ‘dramatic moments’ in the game. Nothing you can do about those.

Have no idea what dramatic moments are but with me I just screw when I get done over by rebounds. Either GK rebounds or rebounds where it hits 4 players and lands on the foot of the striker to smash it in
  • richo27
    3735 posts National Call-Up
    I like the matchmaking. People want to pub stomp bronze players all weekend, well unfortunately that doesn’t happen with ELO. It matchmakes based on your predicted ranking, the better you are doing, the harder the matchmaking. Win your first 5 or 10 and you’ll be getting elite 1 matchmaking. That seems fair to me. Similarly, if you have a terrible start you should get matched against other people who have made a bad start. For me matchmaking is where it should be.
  • number7rocky
    edited February 2018
    I ended up scrapping elite 3. Won 8 of last 10 despite fifa trying to screw me out of it. First two games I was predicted gold 1 after that back to predicted elite.

So over the whole WL I only had two games where I was wasn't predicted elite. The difference in level of opponent was very noticeable. My last game was Ronaldo Prime Vieira Prime Matheus Prime Ferdinand Blanc etc... You can imagine how I felt when I saw the team.

But I got myself a 3 goal lead until the game decided to place my opponent back into the game, a nothing pass from kick of in second half hits the heels of my defender to his Ronaldo to score... his very next attack from a tight angle shoots at my keeper and he touches it but it goes in (But hey dramatic moment makes it more exciting :neutral: ) was such bs fully expected to concede another but defended for my life and held on.
  • Stular
    576 posts An Exciting Prospect
    It should be totally random.

The only reason it's not is because the mode wouldn't keep people interested.
  • Retro_G
    richo27 wrote: »
    I like the matchmaking. People want to pub stomp bronze players all weekend, well unfortunately that doesn’t happen with ELO. It matchmakes based on your predicted ranking, the better you are doing, the harder the matchmaking. Win your first 5 or 10 and you’ll be getting elite 1 matchmaking. That seems fair to me. Similarly, if you have a terrible start you should get matched against other people who have made a bad start. For me matchmaking is where it should be.

Eh, no the majority want skill based matchmaking. You should only be playing people who're in your current rank silver vs silver gold vs gold, elite vs elite etc. That's how all successful eSport games are done.
  • Stickybelly
    2666 posts Fans' Favourite
    iNero wrote: »
    every weekend i go 10-0 or 12-2 ect ... then i finish GOLD 2

i have did nothing but improve i can see my improvement yet i finish the same place every week last year i consistently got gold 1/elite 3.

i play 4 friends in season friendly's
    completed season history is
    13-0
    5-1
    8-0
    2-0

they all finish gold 2 as well but i fairly easily beat them and at no point have they had any kind of WL record like 10-0 they usually go through it 1-2 wins ahead of losses.

yeah, there is something weird about the WL i totally agree. It doesn't make no sense. I go from winning Div 1 at every attempt, to struggling like mad in the WL, with inexplicable things happening, slow players in certain games that cannot turn or pass etc. Something is not right with it. Finish on 26 wins every week. Does not matter what formation i use, what players i used, custom tactics, nothing. Nothing matters, just 26 wins, take it or leave it. I play a couple of players where i feel they are superior to me, i can see and feel it and that's fair enough, it's some of the other stuff that happens, that makes you questions what is going on.
  • Mincepie171286
    287 posts Sunday League Hero
    If you are 10-0 you are obviously gonna match people that are elite1+. Matchmaking I think is very fair. I finish between 20-26 wins every week because that's my level. I've been 14-1 before and 9-7 still finish the same
  • Retro_G wrote: »

Eh, no the majority want skill based matchmaking. You should only be playing people who're in your current rank silver vs silver gold vs gold, elite vs elite etc. That's how all successful eSport games are done.

This is why the WL should be league based so division 1 players only play division 1 players - that way a truer picture of the top 100 will be formed and no hiding by pro players.

Obviously, rewards should be appropriate for the division you are in.
  • ICUP
    V_Babu_V wrote: »

This is why the WL should be league based so division 1 players only play division 1 players - that way a truer picture of the top 100 will be formed and no hiding by pro players.

NO NO NO.

Do you know how P*ss easy divisions is. And if I was going by your theory I would purposely stay in division 2 to steamroller the WL
  • number7rocky
    edited February 2018
    If you are 10-0 you are obviously gonna match people that are elite1+. Matchmaking I think is very fair. I finish between 20-26 wins every week because that's my level. I've been 14-1 before and 9-7 still finish the same

But that's quite unfair no? If you've gone 14-1 you obviously performed well where as at 9-7 you've played worse so if you still end up getting the same amount of wins, one of those weekends your playing a vastly higher level of opponent yet for the same reward
  • Retro_G
    edited February 2018

It's anything but fair. The reason most pro gamers play all their games on Friday, is to give themselves easier matchmaking. The quicker you get to elite, the more likely you're to come up against silver/gold players who had a good start.

We should have 5/10 games at the start of each week to give you a predicted rank. Now let's say you're predicted elite after them 10 games. You're now only going to play elite rank players, if the prediction got your rank wrong, that's very common, you're truly a gold rank. You're going to drop down into your true gold rank eventually, because you won't have the skill to compete with elite players.

EDIT: I've played my 10 predicted games on Overwatch, got put into a rank below my true rank on numerous occasions. I always end up climbing up the ladder to my true rank. Now if a company as competent as Blizzard are getting predicted ranks wrong, there is no doubt in my mind that EA are also getting predicted ranks wrong.
  • Matt89
    219 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Every weekend is like clockwork for me, I go 8-2 then end up 16-16, with just 2 more games to win for gold 3. Easy right?

8 Full icon & pause at the start games later I've lost 7 in a row and win the last game as it means nothing. Ending Silver 1 with 17 wins.

I was thinking rather than going through all that, if I say quit 20 games from the start, leaving 20 to play. Would I still end up with 17 wins.....

Might give it a go one weekend, as it would save a huge amount of time.
  • byronw1983
    1610 posts Play-Off Hero
    byronw1983 wrote: »

Have no idea what dramatic moments are but with me I just screw when I get done over by rebounds. Either GK rebounds or rebounds where it hits 4 players and lands on the foot of the striker to smash it in

This is exactly what dramtic moments are, kick off goals, defenders missing 5 tackles they’d normally get, rebounds and last minute goals.
  • number7rocky

It's anything but fair. The reason most pro gamers play all their games on Friday, is to give themselves easier matchmaking. The quicker you get to elite, the more likely you're to come up against silver/gold players who had a good start.

We should have 5/10 games at the start of each week to give you a predicted rank. Now let's say you're predicted elite after them 10 games. You're now only going to play elite rank players, if the prediction got your rank wrong, that's very common, you're truly a gold rank. You're going to drop down into your true gold rank eventually, because you won't have the skill to compete with elite players.

This. Say the pro goes 19-1 he can match a silver/gold player who is say 5-1 with a lucky start because its Friday and they have a similar predicted rank and you can't be predicted top 100
  • Tristan_Pecan
    382 posts Sunday League Hero

Well not necessarily. I think I'm alright in FIFA 18. I play WL every weekend and I average between 18-25 wins and I have never played with a team that cost more than 250k not because I'm some arrogant **** but because that's how much I can afford. And its pretty annoying when you see the teams and players I'm matched against.

I dominate these elite teams but my players cant finish as well as the Ronaldos and the Prime Icons and SIF Sons so my opponent need only one or two chances to score against me and its pretty frustrating.
  • Retro_G

This. Say the pro goes 19-1 he can match a silver/gold player who is say 5-1 with a lucky start because its Friday and they have a similar predicted rank and you can't be predicted top 100

Exactly mate, it's a flawed matchmaking system.
  • Mutu10gol
    2477 posts Fans' Favourite

Well not necessarily. I think I'm alright in FIFA 18. I play WL every weekend and I average between 18-25 wins and I have never played with a team that cost more than 250k not because I'm some arrogant **** but because that's how much I can afford. And its pretty annoying when you see the teams and players I'm matched against.

I dominate these elite teams but my players cant finish as well as the Ronaldos and the Prime Icons and SIF Sons so my opponent need only one or two chances to score against me and its pretty frustrating.

if you manage to win 18-25 every wl how the hell you can afford only a 250k team?
  • Tristan_Pecan
    382 posts Sunday League Hero
    Mutu10gol wrote: »

if you manage to win 18-25 every wl how the hell you can afford only a 250k team?

Awful pack luck and I quick changing my teams so I keep losing coins on players sold.
  • ICUP wrote: »
    V_Babu_V wrote: »

NO NO NO.

Do you know how P*ss easy divisions is. And if I was going by your theory I would purposely stay in division 2 to steamroller the WL

No no no you wouldn't coz if you steamrolled division 2 in the WL you would receive a well deserved promotion into division 1 WL :)
  • Th3DirtyPriest
    547 posts An Exciting Prospect
    i won 9 in a row friday and thought i was a beast.. lost all the games i played saturday then won 9 on sunday got to gold 3 with 10 games left and thought **** this im done