Formation 4-5-1, suggestions?

Brosing
287 posts Sunday League Hero
I'm currently using the 4-2-2-2 formation and after the patch I feel like it doesn't reflect the same anymore? um hard to explain but it doesn't work or atleast I'm struggling for some reason?

Anyways, I was looking at this 4-5-1 and noticed that I've never tried it. Have you had any good luck with this formation? Pros and cons?

Comments

• Glucose01
    142 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Unfortunately not much help but, pre patch a lot of people used to say it was terrible, but I was looking to try it post patch, just think you need a really good cm. looking at it it should do well but I just don’t know, I’m going to have to just try it
  • madwullie
    4161 posts National Call-Up
    Used to love it in the old old days (like 13 or 14) but the rise of strength trumps all, narrow formation force the ball through the middle left it horribly exposed and consigned to the rubbish bin (I assume you're talking about the version with the cams).

I can see it getting steamrollered by the 41212 strength is king meta tbh
  • Brosing
    madwullie wrote: »
    Used to love it in the old old days (like 13 or 14) but the rise of strength trumps all, narrow formation force the ball through the middle left it horribly exposed and consigned to the rubbish bin (I assume you're talking about the version with the cams).

I can see it getting steamrollered by the 41212 strength is king meta tbh

You're getting exposed in the middle with this formation? I thought it was strong in the middle?

• Safehands84
    3370 posts National Call-Up
    Ran with it this week.The one with 2 cams. I play slow build up it worked great in SB. I would have got Elite 2 but didn’t get any games in on Saturday and only a few Sunday.
    Online I don’t play WL but I’m in div3. I found the striker too isolated to be honest. It worked great against some people but more compentent defenders were able to get number behind the ball quickly and made it difficult. It would probably work it I tweaked tactics etc.
  • Safehands84
    3370 posts National Call-Up
    I never found any particular problems defensively it is rock solid both cams drop right back as do the wide men even when I used 2 high lows. Problem was just getting enough men forward quickly. My set up was Full backs overlap. Wide men stat wide gib, cm stay back, cams free roam and striker gib, press. I hardly ever conceded more than a goal a game
  • madwullie
    4161 posts National Call-Up
    Can't believe what I'm reading here. Might give it a run out for old time's sake
  • Glucose01
    142 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    @madwullie let us know how it goes please
  • Brosing
    I never found any particular problems defensively it is rock solid both cams drop right back as do the wide men even when I used 2 high lows. Problem was just getting enough men forward quickly. My set up was Full backs overlap. Wide men stat wide gib, cm stay back, cams free roam and striker gib, press. I hardly ever conceded more than a goal a game

I tried it yesterday and I kind of liked it but need to play it more to decide. I won my first 2 games with ez, and then I struggled for another 4 games. I won 3/6 games with it where I kind of lost my calmness in the last games. When I played at my best, my CM guy got man of the match all the times. In my case, bakayoko is there, playing as a CDM with stay back while attacking. On avarage he had 40-45 passes done with 90-95% pass success.

Apparently he is the "main" guy for me in the build up phase and tbh, he is a bit exposed in the build up phase. If he lose the ball in the middle there will be a very dangerous counter attack. This rarely happend to me but when it does, it will be dangerous.

Anyone got any good custom tactics for this? I kind of enjoyed it but I do not master it quite yet.
  • Kove
    4013 posts National Call-Up
    It was historically my favourite formation. I still break it out occasionally.

Pros
    It is really really attacking. You will get a lot of overlaps, especially as you play through the fullbacks - Cam - wide midfielders. The striker should score the majority of the goals and the cams should have one actual cam and one smaller striker (Jesus, Mertens et al). It is also a really fun formation especially if you like to pass, cross and move the ball around.

Cons
    It is a classic glass cannon (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=glass cannon) it will get you goals but you will leak them as well as the only cover you have for the CBs is a CM, who is not positioned like a CDM and more often than not will make late runs into the box - less matic and more aaron ramsey. It doesnt seem to matter who I play there you will get that effect.

Lastly. given that crossing is not great this year, you also miss out on a huge offensive weapon for this formation.