OT: GCSEs

Leon0713
1807 posts Fans' Favourite
Given that a large percentage of those in this forum are beyond their GCSE years, I'd be intrigued to know your tips on GCSEs and revision. I'm sure this sounds stupid but I'm in the stage of GCSEs which will happen in just over 3 months and need ALL the tips I can get. Let me know down below. Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Comments

• Azof
    16630 posts World Class
    Dont worry about them they virtually mean nothing
  • Leon0713
    Azof wrote: »

In what way - aren't they like the be-all and end-all? I always thought they dictated many things in life, no?
  • LFC Simon 98
    17315 posts World Class

This. But at the same time still try to do well from a self confidence point of view and it’s good to get into a routine come exam time as practice for later years.
  • Shaanxz
    20501 posts Club Captain
    edited February 2018
    Revise CGP book guaranteed a minimum of a B or whatever the system is now
  • Shaanxz
    20501 posts Club Captain

They did for college courses I wanted to do
  • M98H
    12928 posts Has That Special Something
    Most nervracking moment so far in my life, haven’t needed them once.
  • hoban95
    49112 posts FIFA Cover Star
    Don't stress. They mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. Obviously do some revision each day but don't over do it as you will just fizzle out.
  • SimmoEFC
    11462 posts Has That Special Something
    They don't mean much, doesn't mean you shouldn't bother though.

Always try and do your best.
  • hoban95
    Leon0713 wrote: »

In what way - aren't they like the be-all and end-all? I always thought they dictated many things in life, no?

Nope. They are just for getting into certain sixth forms or colleges. A Levels are the important exams.
  • Leon0713
    I was planning to maybe do around 2hrs everyday and learn virtually everything in each subject through using this website, Brainscape - After getting my mocks which were alright, It's basically put me into overdrive
  • Ulook92
    12903 posts Has That Special Something

this. theyre yo get you into college and thats itm within a couple of years they mean nothing.
  • Fab
    17855 posts World Class
    Just focus, brother!
  • Ulook92
    Unfortunately with a lot of work places, getting a job is who you know not what you know.
  • Fab
    17855 posts World Class
    Ulook92 wrote: »
    Unfortunately with a lot of work places, getting a job is who you know not what you know.

This! Make a LinkedIn profile and start going to networking events and you'll be at the top of the food chain in no time. Be confident, but not cocky.
  • Ulook92
    edited February 2018
    @Fab i disapprove of your new avatar. Change it back to the cute pug immediately. But with a heart and arrow cause jts nearly valentines day innit.
  • hoban95
    @Fab i disapprove of your new avatar. Change it back to the cute pug immediately. But with a heart and arrow cause jts nearly valentines day innit.

Yeah change that avatar now please
  • DobbyDooDah
    5698 posts Big Money Move
    School put a silly amount of emphasis on their own structure, because that's how they survive based on their results.

Unless you plan to go to uni after further education to study something intensely intellectual, like Law, Physics or the like, then don't stress.
  • Gavinho
    223 posts Sunday League Hero
    Given that a large percentage of those in this forum are beyond their GCSE years, I'd be intrigued to know your tips on GCSEs and revision. I'm sure this sounds stupid but I'm in the stage of GCSEs which will happen in just over 3 months and need ALL the tips I can get. Let me know down below. Cheers guys, much appreciated.

*Extremely DaveSaves voice*

Google is your friend.
  • Leon0713
    School put a silly amount of emphasis on their own structure, because that's how they survive based on their results.

Unless you plan to go to uni after further education to study something intensely intellectual, like Law, Physics or the like, then don't stress.

I plan to (hopefully) go to uni to study Accounting - should I stress now?
  • Fab
    17855 posts World Class
    hoban95 wrote: »

Yeah change that avatar now please
    It's a new era, friends!

Probably not. I imagine if you put in the effort, you'll be just fine! As Hoban mentioned, best thing you could probably do is revise every day and not overdo it. You have 3 months. You don't wanna get burnt out on the way there. Take it easy, ramp up your studying as the GCSE's approach closer and I reckon you'll do great.
  • Ulook92

just stick in at maths and proably english. the rest is irrelevant.
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    C's in Maths and English matter long term. The rest just matter to get you in college.
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    Study well a couple of hours a day but don't put any pressure on yourself to do well as its not the be all and end all.

A lot of successful people do not have any GCSEs
  • DobbyDooDah
    5698 posts Big Money Move

What did you get in the mocks for Maths and English?
  • Knowlesdinho
    10572 posts Has That Special Something

It’s nowhere near as bad as @jdros pic!
  • Ulook92

wtf :lol: why, just why!?
  • jdros
    2569 posts Fans' Favourite

Want a coke?
  • Knowlesdinho
    10572 posts Has That Special Something
    jdros wrote: »

Want a coke?

You know where you can stick that coke!
  • jdros
    2569 posts Fans' Favourite
    jdros wrote: »

Want a coke?

You know where you can stick that coke!

Don't blame me, it's @Davisto 's fault.
  • Smudge
    4574 posts National Call-Up
    Gonna go ahead and disagree with most people in this thread and say they do matter a lot in the grand scheme of things, far more than a couple weeks of FIFA or whatever else you would be doing. Good GCSEs and A Levels can get you an interview at a better job / university straight off the bat. Do your best to prepare for it. You absolutely can succeed without good grades but they make it a lot easier.