The 2018 FIFA World Cup videogame could be an expansion for FIFA 18

Comments

• Mozart
    254 posts Sunday League Hero
    There's still a slight chance that the standalone version could be released.

• The 2002 World Cup game was released on 22 April 2002.
    • The 2006 World Cup game was released on 24 April 2006.
    • The 2010 World Cup game was released on 27 April 2010.
    • The 2014 World Cup game was released on 15 April 2014.

So, they're all mid-to-late April releases.

The mystery is their lack of notifications or marketing. EA has nothing to do with international politics, so any and all boycotting attempts on the Russia World Cup are not going to affect it.

If Australia and England decide to withdraw, EA would just need to change the teams to Honduras and Italy (as I'm sure would also occur in real life). Then release a DLC with their World Cup kits. That's not too complicated.

World cup stand-alone games are also where EA generally experiments with new features that later get implemented into the main game. I think that the 2010 World Cup game was the first to feature the managers/coaches in the sidelines, and then this was applied to future FIFA installments.

If the 2018 FIFA World Cup game comes out as just a clone of FIFA 18, with nothing new to add to the gameplay, then that would also be a disappointment.
  • Azzabazza
    154 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Mozart wrote: »

The mystery is their lack of notifications or marketing. EA has nothing to do with international politics, so any and all boycotting attempts on the Russia World Cup are not going to affect it.

If Australia and England decide to withdraw, EA would just need to change the teams to Honduras and Italy (as I'm sure would also occur in real life). Then release a DLC with their World Cup kits. That's not too complicated.

World cup stand-alone games are also where EA generally experiments with new features that later get implemented into the main game. I think that the 2010 World Cup game was the first to feature the managers/coaches in the sidelines, and then this was applied to future FIFA installments.

If the 2018 FIFA World Cup game comes out as just a clone of FIFA 18, with nothing new to add to the gameplay, then that would also be a disappointment.

I think that IF Australia and England decide to boycott the tournament, then Honduras (who Australia beat in the Play-Offs) and Slovakia (Not Italy. Also that they finished runner up in the group - containing England) could be invited to the tournament. Won't make sense to see Italy qualify (Unless Sweden boycott as well)
  • iri_90
    97 posts Park Captain
    edited March 27

Slovakia would take England’s place not Italy, for finishing 2nd in England’s group, just as Denmark did replacing Yugoslavia at Euro 92, that’s how these things work, and regardless why do Italy deserve it over the other play-off losers? Just because they’ve won World Cups in the past that don’t mean a damn to the current World Cup.

Also those other games released in April but were already announced long before the date we are at now, 2010 was announced way before In was a January
  • I hope no one boycotts anything...
  • mantovani
    32 posts Last Pick at the Park
    shahab wrote: »
    Back in 2010 or 2014 I read somewhere in a interview with someone from EA is that part of the deal with FIFA is to release a game for every world cup till 2022 which means EA can't skip world cup without game.

In 2015 the Brazilian commentator of the game said his contract was valid until the 2018 world cup game. He didnt specify if it would be a standalone or dlc but he confirmed there would be a game back then.
  • Marlog
    177 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Im really hoping that ea are planning something awesome in a very cunning way. If that is the case at least the wait for the release wont be that long - whatever that release is. In the meantime i have to say this tread is most enjoyable , im loving the imput and opinions of all you guys on here. Hopefully ea deliver and it will be all worthwhile! !
  • Mozart
    254 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited March 27
    iri_90 wrote: »
    Slovakia would take England’s place not Italy, for finishing 2nd in England’s group, just as Denmark did replacing Yugoslavia at Euro 92, that’s how these things work, and regardless why do Italy deserve it over the other play-off losers? Just because they’ve won World Cups in the past that don’t mean a damn to the current World Cup.

lol

Whatever is done at the Euro is up to UEFA. That's not how FIFA works, nonetheless.

According to the official FIFA World Cup tournament results, Slovakia was eliminated in UEFA's first round, that being the group stage. Therefore, they are ineligible to qualify over any team in the second round.

Teams that qualified to the second round, and not qualified for the FIFA World Cup finals, were (in order of points):

1. Italy.
    2. Northern Ireland
    3. Greece.
    4. Republic of Ireland

Italy ended up as the second-highest runner-up, overall.

If England withdraws, FIFA can and would select any of these four teams to replace it. Italy is the likeliest choice not only due to its exemplary World Cup history, but also because of their points in the tournament.

FIFA could also institute another qualifying round between all four of the second-round squads.

Regardless, Slovakia is nowhere within this picture. Even if all of these second-round Europeans were to boycott the tournament, Slovakia would still not get invited to the tournament.

FIFA would first invite New Zealand, which made it to the Inter-Confederation play-off. In fact, New Zealand could also be a likely replacement for England, considering that they made it further into the World Cup finals than all the other teams. I'm also pretty sure that Chile and Syria would have a higher chance of being invited than Slovakia.

So, sorry for Slovakia, but there's just no way that they are getting in the tournament.
    Also those other games released in April but were already announced long before the date we are at now, 2010 was announced way before In was a January

EA's a terrible company. It wouldn't surprise me that their marketing department, which I'm sure is busy collecting money from the FUT compulsive-gamblers (ludopathy), forgot to properly set a schedule.

But there's still a slight chance of the game being released. Hopefully it won't be trash, but that's what might also happen considering what seems to be awful planning.
  • Dawud
    15648 posts World Class
    No country is going to boycott the WC lol
  • iri_90
    97 posts Park Captain

lol

Whatever is done at the Euro is up to UEFA. That's not how FIFA works, nonetheless.

According to the official FIFA World Cup tournament results, Slovakia was eliminated in UEFA's first round, that being the group stage. Therefore, they are ineligible to qualify over any team in the second round.

Teams that qualified to the second round, and not qualified for the FIFA World Cup finals, were (in order of points):

1. Italy.
    2. Northern Ireland
    3. Greece.
    4. Republic of Ireland

Italy ended up as the second-highest runner-up, overall.

If England withdraws, FIFA can and would select any of these four teams to replace it. Italy is the likeliest choice not only due to its exemplary World Cup history, but also because of their points in the tournament.

FIFA could also institute another qualifying round between all four of the second-round squads.

Regardless, Slovakia is nowhere within this picture. Even if all of these second-round Europeans were to boycott the tournament, Slovakia would still not get invited to the tournament.

FIFA would first invite New Zealand, which made it to the Inter-Confederation play-off. In fact, New Zealand could also be a likely replacement for England, considering that they made it further into the World Cup finals than all the other teams. I'm also pretty sure that Chile and Syria would have a higher chance of being invited than Slovakia.

So, sorry for Slovakia, but there's just no way that they are getting in the tournament.

EA's a terrible company. It wouldn't surprise me that their marketing department, which I'm sure is busy collecting money from the FUT compulsive-gamblers (ludopathy), forgot to properly set a schedule.

But there's still a slight chance of the game being released. Hopefully it won't be trash, but that's what might also happen considering what seems to be awful planning.

I am well aware of the difference between UEFA & FIFA but the fact remains that you saying Italy is nothing but a guess, my example of Denmark/Yugoslavia whether it be a UEFA tournament or not is still a guide of what they may do because it happened before. I’m not saying Slovakia for sure will be invited instead but it’s not out of the realms of possibility.

In 1950 two European Teams (Scotland & Turkey) withdrew along with India and FIFA never replaced them with anyone and carried on the World Cup with just 13 teams, so no one actually knows what they would do.

Regardless nobody is going to withdraw so it doesn’t really matter.
  • iri_90
    97 posts Park Captain
    Anyway back on topic, there will not be news on Friday or Monday as they are bank holidays, I personally was expecting it today, Now i’m Expecting nothing other than a crappy 18 add on, They say it’s the hope that kills you, and for me the hope is gone at least as standalone, DLC i’m not personally interested in because i am bored of 18s gameplay.
  • Friendly Badger
    50 posts Park Captain
    I'm sure that if it did send up being DLC then it would be a full tournament mode and not just the FUT thing that people seem to be concerned about.

It would still be far better to have a physical release rather than just a DLC though in my opinion. The longer it goes unannounced the less confident I am that will see a stand alone game
  • AlexCarla2011
    755 posts Semi-Pro
    edited March 27
    Marlog wrote: »
    Im really hoping that ea are planning something awesome in a very cunning way. If that is the case at least the wait for the release wont be that long - whatever that release is. In the meantime i have to say this tread is most enjoyable , im loving the imput and opinions of all you guys on here. Hopefully ea deliver and it will be all worthwhile! !

I also hope EA that we can have a good game, 200+ teams, game modes, etc...

I would be happy with that. What I really wanted was a WC standalone.... but lets see.... trying to gess when an announcement will be made leads to nothing, honestely... maybe it won't even be this week.maybe the game is only coming out in May.... who knows?

But... come on, EA, just give me 200+ teams....
    Post edited by AlexCarla2011 on
  • Alanrich
    186 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Anyway back on topic, there will not be news on Friday or Monday as they are bank holidays, I personally was expecting it today, Now i’m Expecting nothing other than a crappy 18 add on, They say it’s the hope that kills you, and for me the hope is gone at least as standalone, DLC i’m not personally interested in because i am bored of 18s gameplay.

Im not hoping for anything at this point either I just want some sort of information.
  • Marlog
    177 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Marlog wrote: »

I also hope EA that we can have a good game, 200+ teams, game modes, etc...

I would be happy with that. What I really wanted was a WC standalone.... but lets see.... trying to gess when an announcement will be made leads to nothing, honestely... maybe it won't even be this week.maybe the game is only coming out in May.... who knows?

I would think there will be news in the next 2 weeks. Lets hope for the best.
  • Bluemoon2393
    148 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    No ones going to boycott the World Cup. Southgate has rightly said he's concentrating on the football not the politics between my country and Russia. I believe politics should stay out off football and every team that has qualified should go to the world cup and play football and try to win the world cup. I don't agree with Russia and certainly Qatar being the hosts but FIFA will never change their minds. The politicians off England (Us), Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, Australia, Japan and Poland will be boycotting it. I expect France and Germany probably doing the same.

EA will release something for the world cup and yes its come very late but they are probably working on something and will give us some news over the next few weeks.

• No ones going to boycott the World Cup. Southgate has rightly said he's concentrating on the football not the politics between my country and Russia. I believe politics should stay out off football and every team that has qualified should go to the world cup and play football and try to win the world cup. I don't agree with Russia and certainly Qatar being the hosts but FIFA will never change their minds. The politicians off England (Us), Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, Australia, Japan and Poland will be boycotting it. I expect France and Germany probably doing the same.

EA will release something for the world cup and yes its come very late but they are probably working on something and will give us some news over the next few weeks.

I only hope the political aspects do not interfere with the competition itself... It's a shame if someone ruins the World Cup because of some stupidity... And I'm not only speaking about politics... there are enough stupid people in this world today that can ruin things in a lot of different ways...
  • And I know there will be something related to the world cup because that has been a topic in conference calls since July 2018. I just don't know what. I still believe in a full game, be it a standalone or a dlc... I don't care.

I just want the oportunity to win the world cup with Cape Verde, Vanuatu, Gibraltar and, of course, Portugal...
  • One more day without any news....
  • Anybody know what time the games are usually announced and where?
  • When? Don't know.
    Where? EA Sports web site or any site that deals with gaming... gameinformer, ign, eurogamer, etc...
  • Eagles19
    284 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited March 28
    Wonder if they’re going to announce it on April fools day
  • xanon29
    55 posts Park Captain
    Sorry my level in english is very bad.

The only thing that i know is that we will have a world cup video game

Last month:
    1522238799-capture.png
    I hope that my translate is good for you

Guy: "Pierre, have you recorded commentaries for the 2018 Fifa world cup game mode"

PM: I work. I have worked 3 days this week.

Last 2 weeks
    1522242723-capture2.png

Guy: "When the WC2018 video game will be released?"

PM: Before the competition, I think.

PM is Pierre Menes, one of official french commentator of fifa 17 and 18.
  • xanon29
    55 posts Park Captain
    But i don't know if it is a DLC or a Standalone game
  • AlexCarla2011
    755 posts Semi-Pro
    edited March 28
    xanon29 wrote: »
    Sorry my level in english is very bad.

The only thing that i know is that we will have a world cup video game

Last month:
    1522238799-capture.png
    I hope that my translate is good for you

Guy: "Pierre, have you recorded commentaries for the 2018 Fifa world cup game mode"

PM: I work. I have worked 3 days this week.

Last 2 weeks
    1522242723-capture2.png

Guy: "When the WC2018 video game will be released?"

PM: Before the competition, I think.

PM is Pierre Menes, one of official french commentator of fifa 17 and 18.

Of course it will be before the competition....
    But cool... there is something being done, wich is great....

Guys, what if the game is released much closer to the actual WC than it usually is? Who knows? Maybe, but just maybe, we might get a good game....

I'm starting to think the game might be released in May or June, not April....
  • Ashy
    8049 posts League Winner
    edited March 28
    There wasn’t a video on the official ea sports YouTube until May 23rd for the WC14 DLC, the mode came out May 29th, with TOTS usually happening in the first couple of weeks of May I’m expecting the WC18 DLC to be out May 24th/31st. This is 2-3 weeks before the World Cup starts
  • Ashy wrote: »
    There wasn’t a video on the official ea sports YouTube until May 23rd for the WC14 DLC, the mode came out May 29th, with TOTS usually happening in the first couple of weeks of May I’m expecting the WC18 DLC to be out May 24th/31st. This is 2-3 weeks before the World Cup starts

Who said it was going to be a DLC?
  • Ashy
    8049 posts League Winner
    edited March 28
    Ashy wrote: »

Me since if it was going to be a full game they’d be at least rumours by now, they need to market it and everything, in past World Cup/Euro stand alone games it’s known months before hand like any other game, it’s not something you just announce 8 weeks before the World Cup
  • Eagles19
    284 posts Sunday League Hero

Me since if it was going to be a full game they’d be at least rumours by now, they need to market it and everything, in past World Cup/Euro stand alone games it’s known months before hand it’s not something you just announce 8 weeks before the World Cup

Dude I don’t think they need that much time to market it now days with social media being so important. If the game. comes out in mid to late May and is announce announced in early April, that’s 6-8 weeks right there
  • Ashy
    8049 posts League Winner
    edited March 28
    Eagles19 wrote: »

Me since if it was going to be a full game they’d be at least rumours by now, they need to market it and everything, in past World Cup/Euro stand alone games it’s known months before hand it’s not something you just announce 8 weeks before the World Cup

Dude I don’t think they need that much time to market it now days with social media being so important. If the game. comes out in mid to late May and is announce announced in early April, that’s 6-8 weeks right there

True but they’d be at least rumours by now there is nothing to suggest there will be a stand alone game especially considering the World Cup 2014 didn’t have one. Just don’t get your hopes up is all I’m saying there isn’t going to be a proper game with over 50 international teams to choose from like the old days as much as I want it
  • felipe_the_one
    30 posts Last Pick at the Park
    This delaying to announce *anything* makes zero sense. Oh maybe EA is waiting for this thread to reach 20 pages to make the announcement. Lets go guys.
This discussion has been closed.