Are tourist fans ruining atmosphere

G12OGN
1519 posts Play-Off Hero
With Jose moaning again about the atmosphere in Old Trafford yesterday against Huddersfield. Why is the atmosphere getting really poor in certain games for the top PL sides?

Are the fans just waiting to be entertained because they are expecting to win comfortably? Whilst eating their prawn sandwiches.

Or with all the tourist fans now are they starting to take over?
Obviously clubs make alot more money from a tourist fan who travels over maybe in a once in a lifetime chance to watch a game. Will spend hundreds in the official club store, do the stadium tour etc. Than your average middle class Joe who lives down the road who will only buy a pie and a pint at HT but who goes week in week out. Who is more likely to join in singing/chanting, getting behind the team.

Is the middle class Joe been priced out of going weekly with the rising ticket prices.

Away fans are great, the more passionate fans who sing most the game.

Its not just OT that has experienced it either.

Comments

• Choepiechakie
    33891 posts National Team Captain
    Yes.
  • maymanpele
    14520 posts Has That Special Something
    Sounds racist
  • G12OGN
    1519 posts Play-Off Hero
    maymanpele wrote: »
    Sounds racist

They'll get over it
  • TrueBlueBl00d
    1140 posts Professional
    Sounds racist

How is it racist?
  • Andybelfast
    11017 posts Has That Special Something
    United fans have always been ❤️❤️❤️❤️.

Keane said the same about them years ago
  • Hitman_Hatton
    14382 posts Has That Special Something
    Absolutely!

When we signed Park, the amount of Koreans that rocked up at Loftus Road on matchdays just to swoon over him was ridiculous. Offered nothing else in terms of backing the team.

Hated that period of time in terms of atmosphere.
  • LeonidasJB
    21862 posts Club Captain
    I took an ex to Old Trafford years ago, because she was a Utd fan.
    Opening game of the season against Fulham.
    Utd won 3-2, was a great match.
    The atmosphere was dead though! It was like being in a modern library, you are allowed to talk, but as long as you keep it down.
    Opening day, 3-2 win, exciting match, poor atmosphere.

I have heard this muttered a lot about Old Trafford.

The only time that you get a big atmosphere there is when Utd are hosting a team with a large away support, and even then it is 90% the away team chanting/singing.
  • LeonidasJB
    21862 posts Club Captain
    They are discussing this on Sunday Supplement now.
  • maymanpele
    Honestly I wouldn't mind if the epl stuck to local fans only. Hopefully the clubs only take English players and managers, and the matches are only shown in England. It would remove so much over hyped boring matches, and the transfer market could go back to a nornal state.

Make football great again. Keep the English on the island.
  • LeonidasJB
    21862 posts Club Captain
    Honestly I wouldn't mind if the epl stuck to local fans only. Hopefully the clubs only take English players and managers, and the matches are only shown in England. It would remove so much over hyped boring matches, and the transfer market could go back to a nornal state.

Make football great again. Keep the English on the island.

:tired_face::trollface:
  • Alex_cr
    5936 posts Big Money Move
    Get yourself to Carrow Road. Then youlll experience a dead atmosphere! Don’t get there as much as I’d like due to family but last time I went the old boys sitting around me were having a chat about cake...

We sing one song but only know half the words to it and are the last team in the world that just want the defence to ‘get rid’.

I doubt there are too many tourists flocking to see us so can’t be the only reason!
  • LeonidasJB
    21862 posts Club Captain
    edited February 2018
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Get yourself to Carrow Road. Then youlll experience a dead atmosphere! Don’t get there as much as I’d like due to family but last time I went the old boys sitting around me were having a chat about cake...

We sing one song but only know half the words to it and are the last team in the world that just want the defence to ‘get rid’.

I doubt there are too many tourists flocking to see us so can’t be the only reason!

Sounded a pretty good atmosphere against Chelsea.
    I imagine though that listening to that match could mislead a lot of people to think Carrow Road is always buzzing.
  • G12OGN
    1519 posts Play-Off Hero
    Klopps moaned about Anfield aswell.
    Jose about Chelsea.
    Man City has no fans :trollface:
  • LeonidasJB
    21862 posts Club Captain
    G12OGN wrote: »
    Jose about Chelsea.

They are getting more new fans every week.......just not sure they are from Manchester or even UK half the time.
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    Big stadiums with the “singers” spread around are waiting to be entertained.

Away fans are brilliant.

Emirates is so quiet. City is empty. Anfield plays their pity song through speakers. It’s not just OT.
  • Alex_cr
    5936 posts Big Money Move
    LeonidasJB wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »

Sounded a pretty good atmosphere against Chelsea.
    I imagine though that listening to that match could mislead a lot of people to think Carrow Road is always buzzing.

Yeah it was rocking. But you see getting past the 3rd round of the FA Cup is like us winning it :D:D

Sadly this isn’t the norm though. All you hear is individuals moaning... you shouldn’t even here individuals at a football stadium for heavens sake!

The away fans aren’t much better either!
  • G12OGN
    1519 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited February 2018

Remember this floating around on Social media before.. Scouser makes some good points, for a change.

People who sit on their phones dont help either. Put the phone down and stop recording it ffs.
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    Rassist
  • LeonidasJB
    21862 posts Club Captain
    DaveSaves wrote: »

Away fans are brilliant.

Emirates is so quiet. City is empty. Anfield plays their pity song through speakers. It’s not just OT.

Most big Stadiums need a massive game to get the cucumber sandwich brigade singing as well.

When at St James Park for Luton cup match we sang 'this is a library' and 'shall we sing a song for you?' Several times. I am sure against Chelsea, M Utd, Liverpool, etc it would have been a very different atmosphere from the home fans.
  • Rutta
    6914 posts Big Money Move
    Read somewhere that a lot of fans at old Trafford are Chinese tourists who have forgot that there is 2 clubs in Manchester and have come to the wrong one.
  • Pikachu
    9274 posts League Winner
    Jose about Chelsea.

They are getting more new fans every week.......just not sure they are from Manchester or even UK half the time.

Are you on about United or City here? :trollface:
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain

Away fans are brilliant.

Most big Stadiums need a massive game to get the cucumber sandwich brigade singing as well.

When at St James Park for Luton cup match we sang 'this is a library' and 'shall we sing a song for you?' Several times. I am sure against Chelsea, M Utd, Liverpool, etc it would have been a very different atmosphere from the home fans.

If a goal goes in early and it’s all going to plan then fans are even loud at the Emirates, like yesterday. Or Spurs midweek :disappointed:

But when it’s a struggle, fans are waiting for something rather than being the ones to get it going.

Away fans are a different breed. They don’t stop and it seems even louder because they are condensed.
  • maymanpele
    coatsy2008 wrote: »
    Rassist

Rt
  • LeonidasJB
    21862 posts Club Captain
    Pikachu wrote: »
    Jose about Chelsea.

Are you on about United or City here? :trollface:

Both.
  • LeonidasJB
    21862 posts Club Captain

Away fans are brilliant.

If a goal goes in early and it’s all going to plan then fans are even loud at the Emirates, like yesterday. Or Spurs midweek :disappointed:

But when it’s a struggle, fans are waiting for something rather than being the ones to get it going.

Away fans are a different breed. They don’t stop and it seems even louder because they are condensed.

I actually love away days much more than home matches for this reason.
    Even at 3-1 down at St James Park we never stopped singing.
    Away days is usually for the more 'hardcore' and therefore tends to be those that chant more.

An early goal does tend to make a big difference.
  • Rutta
    Average fan is getting priced out due to crazy ticket prices and a lot of clubs promote these corporate match day experiences.

I think the football has got to be decent to get any fan exited and there are a lot of flat performances round the grounds in the PL.
  • TheMenezLover
    1793 posts Play-Off Hero
    Went to watch barcelona couple years ago, and messi was injured.

Sat at a restaurant before the game, and there were a couple girls with full barca face paint, flags, shirts, and all that ❤️❤️❤️❤️. We overheard them (they were english, btw) say it was their first football game and that they really wanted to see Messi...
    There were also more selfies being taken than people singing for the club they were wearing a scarf of, but oh well. Be a sheep if you like it
  • gia
    3166 posts National Call-Up
    edited February 2018
    PL clubs make millions after millions and still have among the highest prices for seats in the stadiums.
    So exoensive that locals can't afford it regularly.

Stupid if you ask me.

Didn't Kompany or somebody write his thesis about how it actually might be economical to lower prices?
    e.g. you win more with a better crowd
  • Rutta
    gia wrote: »
    PL clubs make millions after millions and still have among the highest prices for seats in the stadiums.
    So exoensive that locals can't afford it regularly.

Stupid if you ask me.

Didn't Kompany or somebody write his thesis about how it actually might be economical to lower prices?
    e.g. you win more with a better crowd

Great point about ticket prices. The more money clubs get from these to deals just inflates the fees and wages for players and agents. Suppose we may see a reduction in prices if attendances fall dramatically as the PL won't be attractive on TV with half empty grounds like in say Italy.
  • G12OGN wrote: »

Remember this floating around on Social media before.. Scouser makes some good points, for a change.

People who sit on their phones dont help either. Put the phone down and stop recording it ffs.

@PochBall in a nut shell.

Am i right? @UpstartCaesar @Smudge