Check out the pitch notes for an update on upcoming content here.

The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on console & PC and includes the changes listed here.

Anyone play 4-2-2-2?

CPFC16
2107 posts Fans' Favourite
I haven’t used it since back in the day FUT 11, FUT 12. (I miss those days)

Just wondering what it’s like now? Never really see it being used and can’t help but think there’s a reason for its lack of popularity.

I’ll have ADP and maybe Messi/Dybala at CAM with Sheva/Larsson and Crespo up top, then Vidal and 88 Rijkaard CDM.

Any opinions on the formation?

Comments

• Scutch
    13124 posts Has That Special Something
    There's a debate about the space left in the middle of the pitch as the CAM's tend to drift wide. So that hole can be massively exploited by the opponent. Some say it's an issue, others say the midfielders cover it well enough. Suppose it depends on instructions and players.
  • Currieman
    4991 posts Big Money Move
    I've been using 4222 for about a month now. I've used lots of different formations on 18 (wide and narrow) and it's the best of both worlds.

It does take a bit of time to get used to not having a central CAM but when you're attacking it's like having 4 strikers at times. If you have decent CAMs then they make brilliant runs in behind. The CAMs also help when defending which is great.

It's a great formation.
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    442 is better.
  • Diggy
    14157 posts Has That Special Something
    Currieman wrote: »
    I've been using 4222 for about a month now. I've used lots of different formations on 18 (wide and narrow) and it's the best of both worlds.

It does take a bit of time to get used to not having a central CAM but when you're attacking it's like having 4 strikers at times. If you have decent CAMs then they make brilliant runs in behind. The CAMs also help when defending which is great.

It's a great formation.

This I changed to it during TOTY when I bought R90 & found his m/m annoying in a 4231
  • CPFC16
    Very interesting. I think I might just give it a go anyway, if it’s not working I can always change. Cheers lads appreciate the input!
  • CPFC16
    coatsy2008 wrote: »
    442 is better.

I do like 442, just find my LM and RM never really get too involved
  • Wiltz
    494 posts Sunday League Hero
    A bit OT, anyone has link to the 4-2-2-2 guide thread that was created recently? I can't find it by search function.
  • Scutch
    13124 posts Has That Special Something
    what are the best CT and Player Instructions for this formation?
  • CPFC16
    Wiltz wrote: »
    A bit OT, anyone has link to the 4-2-2-2 guide thread that was created recently? I can't find it by search function.

Would be interested to see this myself
  • coatsy
    CPFC16 wrote: »
    442 is better.

Your CAMs wont in this either.
  • Currieman
    442 is better.

I disagree with that. My CAMs get involved so much for me in this formation.
    Scutch wrote: »

I can't really advise on custom tactics but for player instructions I have the strikers on stay central, get in behind.
    CAMs on stay forward and get into the box.
    Then the CDMs I have both on stay back (you can manually make one/both get forward if needed when building up the play but I prefer them both to stay back in case of counters.) and I have one on man mark and the other on cut passing lanes.
    Full backs on balanced.
  • coatsy
    442 is better.

I can't really advise on custom tactics but for player instructions I have the strikers on stay central, get in behind.
    Then the CDMs I have both on stay back (you can manually make one/both get forward if needed when building up the play but I prefer them both to stay back in case of counters.) and I have one on man mark and the other on cut passing lanes.
    Full backs on balanced.

It is basically the same as 442 though.
  • Nervous_Nick
    6167 posts Big Money Move
    4222 is my favourite formation in fifa18, a truly balanced formation. I have fullbacks on balanced, cdms on stay back, cams on free roam, one striker false 9 and the other g.i.b.
    You really need two fast and strong cams.
  • Yehudaargazi1
    669 posts An Exciting Prospect
    IMO you have great players for this formation..but no need ADP to be wide CAM..
    if you want to try i say put the players like this..

ADP LST F9 - Sheva drift wide
    LAM ? Stay up - RAM Dybala stay up
    Vidal LCDM Cut passing - Rijkard stay back man mark agg int

Back 4 balance

Very very dynamic...
  • CtldChaos
    2205 posts Fans' Favourite

It's a great formation.

I use it, I agree with this. The CAMs are the critical piece, they need to be a bit more all around with some defensive capability. Rui Costa for example is a solid example. Dele Alli is another.

For the CDMs. You need one as the typical stay back types, but the other needs to be a solid all around CM on "Balanced". They will move into and occupy that central role. This is important to prevent your play from getting stale.

Also, you will have to get used to making more direct long passes from the CDMs to the STs. The CAMs will often pull the CMs wide, that direct pass to the strikers can be effective and deadly, if you can get it to them without the CB teleporting in-front of the strikers.
  • Currieman
    442 is better.

Full backs on balanced.

It is basically the same as 442 though.

Hmm, I think it's a bit different. The CAMs in 4222 aren't wingers but they're not central. They stay in those channels in between central midfielders and the wingers. This is why they work so well.
  • CPFC16
    IMO you have great players for this formation..but no need ADP to be wide CAM..
    if you want to try i say put the players like this..

ADP LST F9 - Sheva drift wide
    LAM ? Stay up - RAM Dybala stay up
    Vidal LCDM Cut passing - Rijkard stay back man mark agg int

Back 4 balance

Very very dynamic...

Thank you! Think I will try this
  • Carswell
    8271 posts League Winner
    edited January 2018
    Not the same as 442 tbh, CAMs do seem more involved than the outside mids in 442. Still prefer 442 though.
  • Antparry92
    18857 posts World Class
    Would love to use it but the players I want to use won’t fit the formation