'Tactical Defending' has ruined the FIFA series

ricardibreezer
35 posts Last Pick at the Park
edited January 2018
I've been saying this for 7 years now.

Firstly, let m say that the proof is in the pudding:

FIFA 09 Metacritic user score: 7.5 (PS) / 8.0 (Xbx)
FIFA 10 Metacritic user score: 7.5 / 7.5
FIFA 11 Metacritic user score: 8.0 / 7.5

tactical defending introduced in 12----

FIFA 12 Metacritic user score: 7.2 / 6.7
FIFA 13 Metacritic user score: 6.6 / 6.1
FIFA 14 Metacritic user score: 6.3 / 4.2
FIFA 15 Metacritic user score: 5.6 / 4.2
FIFA 16 Metacritic user score: 4.3 / 2.9
FIFA 17 Metacritic user score: 4.8 / 5.1
FIFA 18 Metacritic user score: 3.4 / 2.8

I'll explain why "Tactical Defending" has ruined the game.

Contain & 'contain-bots'

The very concept of contain, and 'team mate contain' is not only unrealistic (the defender mirrors the attacker, like he knows the direction the attacker will go before the attacker himself knows it), but it's both excruciating to play against, and to use.

When using the contain feature, it mind-numbing just watching your defender mirror the attacker, when really you want to win the ball - you can ofcourse stick out a big clumsy leg using standing-tackle, but for most players, manually tackling is too risky. The majority of players will either A. Use contain, or B. Control another defender and use 'team mate contain'. It's comical to watch "team mate contain", often an attacker will dribble up close to 1 or 2 'teammate contain-bots' only for them to stare at the ball while trotting backwards.

Can you imagine if this was real life? You would be wondering why the defenders were not tackling, but just staring blankly at the ball as they moved in the direction the attacker moved. Better players will jockey potential pass channels hoping to get in interception, while his teammates contain - maybe he hopes the attacker will run too close to the contain-bot who will initiate an auto-tackle.

When playing against a defender who is "containing" it's equally as boring, the defender never commits unless you run into him, dribbling past a contain-bot (holding contain creates a bot) is near impossible so it leads to a pass. And another.

Pass, pass pass pass pass.

An auto-tackle may come in if you get to close - then the tackle animation kicks-in, giving you no chance to react quicker than the defender and beat him. This is an auto-mated sequence.

Ball control

Ever since 12 onwards, if you read through the metacritic reviews you will often find comments along the lines of:

"Stuck in the mud"
"my players feel like they are 50 stone"
"I've seen battleships turn around quicker"
"Button lag is horrible"

The reason for it? It's not bad coding, it's not button lag... it's the dumbing down of player ability to compensate the defensive balance.

Take a quick look to remind yourself of the kind of control you had in FIFA 11:

It was smooth as butter. It was super responsive, dribbling was difficult to master but felt great when you pulled it off. Now 5-star payers are tripping over their own feet like drunks.

Imagine you had that kind of control over the ball in any title from 12-18? You would easily beat any defender trying to manual tackle. If your ball control was as sharp and as responsive as above, it gives little opportunity for an opponent to win the ball with a manual tackle.

Although, your skills would be useless against a 'contain-bot', it would lead to very sharp pass-and-move sequences with the defending player having little chance of winning the ball back until a shot comes.

So, because the defending system is so poor, and so flawed, it has lead to a dumbing-down of player ability. You can no longer turn smoohtly and realistically like 11 or previous - your ability of what you can do on the ball has greatly diminished to try to rebalance a failed "contain" system that EA will just not drop.

Shooting

Hard to believe how overpowered it is now. Why? Because scoring from 25 yards into the top corner is the only way any kids will feel like they get enjoyment out of this chore of a game. Forget making shooting so easy, is harder to miss from 30 yards... i just want players who can smoothly control the ball and doesn't feel like he is wearing concrete boots.

Konami have focused heavily on gameplay, once they sort of their servers and terrible User-Interface menu's, FIFA will be in huge trouble if they don't swallow some pride and ditch "Contain".

Wake up and smell the coffee EA, your "tactical defending" system DOESN'T WORK. BIN IT, then fix the rest of the game.

Comments

• BFC CLARETTRICK
    1182 posts Professional
    Tactical defending feels like a chore now to me i don't know first off the standing tackle animation is well and truly **** and is just asking for serious problems that will most likely take the ball straight back to the opponent and two sometimes its literally impossible to get the ball the passing is just really easy in this game and because the defensive sytem is not up to scratch it makes it so much harder.

The older fifa games from 09 to 12 your players didn't poke their foot out to try and win the ball back like they do now in these newer games, the tackle animation was much much better and the defenders kept their feet down which actually rewarded the user alot more for timing tackles not punishing well timed tackles like it is now in fifa 18.

I still feel as though manual defending is the way forward but that animation for standing tackles needs to go fast! And contain is just ridiculous now jockey is there for a reason! Either ea do a new defensive system that is fair and rewarding or they fix up the current defensive systems because both tactical and legacy can be improved on especially tactical its just so awful to defend on fifa now especially inside the box.

Maybe a mix of both defensive systems could help? Not sure Also the auto tackles need to go i can sort of understand auto blocks because those are animations ea have put in the game which we have no control over but like i said the standing tackles are the main cause of all the problems if ea fixed those then there would be no need for auto tackle whatsoever...auto tackles are there to cover this horrible defensive system which ea have been unwilling to change for years now.

Also the sluggish gameplay has been happening for years now from fifa 13 onwards whether its offline or online its nothing to do with connection either thats just an excuse from some people fifa 12 was the last fifa game i played that felt consistent every time i played says it all really.
  • Its all done because EA simply cannot or will not create an AI that is competitive to even the average FIFA player, its easier to manipulate play to create the illusion of a challenge which actually translates into being a frustrating mess of a game. As soon as you press a tackle button, or a running direction, the AI skips off in the opposite direction 85% of the time, essentially you control the AI's player.

Until their sales take a BIG hit, nothing will change. Boycott FIFA 19, its the best hope we have, as a community, of forcing EA to change.
  • ricardibreezer
    edited January 2018
    Tactical defending feels like a chore now to me i don't know first off the standing tackle animation is well and truly **** and is just asking for serious problems that will most likely take the ball straight back to the opponent and two sometimes its literally impossible to get the ball the passing is just really easy in this game and because the defensive sytem is not up to scratch it makes it so much harder.

The older fifa games from 09 to 12 your players didn't poke their foot out to try and win the ball back like they do now in these newer games, the tackle animation was much much better and the defenders kept their feet down which actually rewarded the user alot more for timing tackles not punishing well timed tackles like it is now in fifa 18.

I still feel as though manual defending is the way forward but that animation for standing tackles needs to go fast! And contain is just ridiculous now jockey is there for a reason! Either ea do a new defensive system that is fair and rewarding or they fix up the current defensive systems because both tactical and legacy can be improved on especially tactical its just so awful to defend on fifa now especially inside the box.

Maybe a mix of both defensive systems could help? Not sure Also the auto tackles need to go i can sort of understand auto blocks because those are animations ea have put in the game which we have no control over but like i said the standing tackles are the main cause of all the problems if ea fixed those then there would be no need for auto tackle whatsoever...auto tackles are there to cover this horrible defensive system which ea have been unwilling to change for years now.

Also the sluggish gameplay has been happening for years now from fifa 13 onwards whether its offline or online its nothing to do with connection either thats just an excuse from some people fifa 12 was the last fifa game i played that felt consistent every time i played says it all really.

Auto-tackles are fine if the attacker can dribble past it with good timing. But currently when the auto-tackle animation kicks in, it disables the attacker from reacting.

Defending should be 'legacy', it's simple... jickey the space and use 'teammate tackle' when the time is right. Give us smoother dribbling so that the attacker can beat the teammate tackle if the opponent times it wrong.
  • forearms
    4816 posts National Call-Up

Auto-tackles are fine if the attacker can dribble past it with good timing. But currently when the auto-tackle animation kicks in, it disables the attacker from reacting.

Defending should be 'legacy', it's simple... jickey the space and use 'teammate tackle' when the time is right. Give us smoother dribbling so that the attacker can beat the teammate tackle if the opponent times it wrong.

because its much more fun to let the cpu do all the work for you defensively huh... :rolls eyes:
  • Korthan
    2407 posts Fans' Favourite

Harsh on 14 and 16, imo.
  • GoonerSoldier
    366 posts Sunday League Hero
    You are not the only one dude. If you search my comments you will see I have been calling out the joke that is Tactical Defending. Right now the default MARKING slider is incorrect and is ruining the game. Sure, you can change it in sliders BUT the point is EA is CLUELESS as to how football is defended. Right now the default MARKING is a complete joke. Feels like there is a FORCE FIELD keeping you from getting tight to dribblers and attackers. The marking for the AI however is different as they get tighter to you than when the user is marking with contain.

Worst part is you call all these kids out on Tactical Defending being MANUAL but they stay silent once you mention FULL manual for passing and shooting. They just want the game made easy to score and it has ruined the series.
  • Amicus83
    555 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited January 2018
    I do get that impression sometimes. Fifa 12 was really quite complete in many ways & it seems they've been doubling up on actions, making user input less precise but animations/outcomes looking perhaps a little more realistic/organic.

They introduced things that at times that weren't really an improvement at all & changed things that didn't need changing. It's hard to say though. Offline for one, the game looks & works well & I don't mind it.
    Post edited by Amicus83 on
  • ricardibreezer
    Korthan wrote: »

Harsh on 14 and 16, imo.

They had tactical defending, therefore they weren't worth playing. It's the same game with updates. 18 is just FIFA 12.6.
  • ricardibreezer
    forearms wrote: »

because its much more fun to let the cpu do all the work for you defensively huh... :rolls eyes:

What the hell do you call "contain"? Idiot.
  • china2991
    113 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    All they need to do is match the responsive movement of attacking with off the ball movement and remove the contain button and make people defend using jockey and the tackle button, but obviously the tackle button needs to be responsive probably to the level of fifa16, They can keep the second man contain button because that is trial and error and is probably what most causes openings in defences when not used at the right time.

I found the introduction of strength in line with tactical defending as a big problem too, I mean tbh that is how the ball is won now people just literally throw you off the ball. there is no tackling just this thing i can only describe as some sort of teleportation, literally within a blink of an eye the defending player has jumped in front of you and is shielding the ball from you. It seriously needs to be toned down. It used to be a bit of jostling to ease a weaker opponent off the ball now its like the hulk throwing loki around the floor. My player regularly eats the dirt on pro clubs when the AI feels like showing its strength.

I thought FIFA13 Seasons played out a balanced game. Passing was good,Strength was good, Defending was good and you would be punished for leaving speedy players with a ton of pace, You could also wriggle your way around people that held contain and punish them for overuse. I dare say heading was pretty balanced too, Ibra was a bit of a joke but nothings ever perfect.
  • Rossi1000
    491 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Fifa 13 was a solid game nice balance online and offline to it
  • BFC CLARETTRICK
    1182 posts Professional

I sort of agree on the older fifa games especially fifa 12 auto tackle was there but it was no where near as overpowered as it is now it rarely happened and the problem is people rely on auto tackles way too much now barely anyone i play on fifa 18 tries to defend manually people just do the usual homing missile and let the game do the work for them its just another mechanic in the game that needs serious changes or needs to go to make way for a new defensive system that is fair and rewarding.

Also dribbling on the older fifa games was very responsive and way quicker i still have my xbox 360 so i can still play fifa 12 and its just 100x better than fifa 18 even doing turns when on the ball is far more responsive and skill moves are quicker aswell i was shocked when i tried out fifa 12 again to see that a 6 year old game is still way better than the newest fifa game it really did prove everything i have been saying over the years as to why fifa has become a terrible game to play now the sluggish gameplay in fifa now is downfall of the game.

Legacy can be worked on and made better so long as they change the animations for standing tackles it causes too many problems that you dont have control over that being said the team mate tackle is still automatic if you think about it yes you're telling your team mate to pressure but the actual tackles are still done by the computer maybe adding an actual tackle button to the team mate pressure could make it a viable option where you still need to time tackles just like tactical how that would be done though i dont know.

For me i still think a new defensive system is needed however if ea was to stick with tactical defending heres what needs to happen:

•Auto tackles removed from the game completely even when not controlling a player

•Standing tackle animation needs changing the poke of the foot causes too many problems its not good enough.

•Standing tackles more consistent and rewards players for timing tackles

Thats all that needs to be done i can guarentee if this was done it would improve the game alot yes we would still have rubbish sluggish gameplay to deal with but at least it would be fair in defense and not a game based on who can use the ai to defend for themselves better plus if tackle animations were improved and tackling in general was improved to reward the user for timing tackles theres no reason why ea can't get rid of auto tackle if that didn't happen then it would just prove 100% that auto tackle is only there to help people defend.
  • Layton8212
    1502 posts Play-Off Hero
    Wow you lot have gone deep on this, deep as
  • ricardibreezer
    edited January 2018

I sort of agree on the older fifa games especially fifa 12 auto tackle was there but it was no where near as overpowered as it is now it rarely happened and the problem is people rely on auto tackles way too much now barely anyone i play on fifa 18 tries to defend manually people just do the usual homing missile and let the game do the work for them its just another mechanic in the game that needs serious changes or needs to go to make way for a new defensive system that is fair and rewarding.

Also dribbling on the older fifa games was very responsive and way quicker i still have my xbox 360 so i can still play fifa 12 and its just 100x better than fifa 18 even doing turns when on the ball is far more responsive and skill moves are quicker aswell i was shocked when i tried out fifa 12 again to see that a 6 year old game is still way better than the newest fifa game it really did prove everything i have been saying over the years as to why fifa has become a terrible game to play now the sluggish gameplay in fifa now is downfall of the game.

Legacy can be worked on and made better so long as they change the animations for standing tackles it causes too many problems that you dont have control over that being said the team mate tackle is still automatic if you think about it yes you're telling your team mate to pressure but the actual tackles are still done by the computer maybe adding an actual tackle button to the team mate pressure could make it a viable option where you still need to time tackles just like tactical how that would be done though i dont know.

For me i still think a new defensive system is needed however if ea was to stick with tactical defending heres what needs to happen:

•Auto tackles removed from the game completely even when not controlling a player

•Standing tackle animation needs changing the poke of the foot causes too many problems its not good enough.

•Standing tackles more consistent and rewards players for timing tackles

Thats all that needs to be done i can guarentee if this was done it would improve the game alot yes we would still have rubbish sluggish gameplay to deal with but at least it would be fair in defense and not a game based on who can use the ai to defend for themselves better plus if tackle animations were improved and tackling in general was improved to reward the user for timing tackles theres no reason why ea can't get rid of auto tackle if that didn't happen then it would just prove 100% that auto tackle is only there to help people defend.

The "homing missile" of a teammate charging the ball is necessary to good defending imo, but can still be done with skill and here's why:

When i defend (particularly in 11 or legacy switched on) I'm not looking at my opponent with the ball; I'm looking at the entire picture of his attack. The player i control isn't going to the ball, I'm managing potential threats - usually the pass channels or filling gaps that i could be exposed in. While i'm doing this, i need the AI to pressure the ball. Fifa is a game if AI management & not having your AI make a tackle when they obviously should has been the biggest problem since Tactical Defending was introduced.

But here's the balance:

In the old controls: holding X would charge your player to the attacker, & holding Square would charge a teammate to the attacker. The skill aspect has to be timing. The AI should be "containing" anyway, let us use the square button just once - with perfect timing - when we want the teammate to make a charge to the ball.... but, give the attacker better, more responsive dribbling- so that if he beats the teammate who has charged for the ball it opens up all kinds of space to expose. Risk/Reward. Skill in timing & dribbling response. Maybe we could tap square depending on how agressive we want our teammate to be, this would give greater range of control over a player that isn't our primary control.

The very idea of manually controlling and tackling with the defender as a 1-on-1 with the attacker, dumbs down the overall nature of defending - nobody at a decent level does this, they control another player to manage the 'big picture'. I've noticed the best tactic with 18 is to use teammate contain until 1 gets close enough, then quickly player-switch and tackle (because the teammates just endless contain otherwise). It's stupid.
  • china2991
    You can no longer block passing channels because passing is so accurate the pass will literally find a way to avoid your player and obviously as mentioned off the ball movement is so bad your player cant react to a pass close to him to intercept it. Its just potluck if you manage to actually intercept a pass 1 inch away from your player but i have seen ground passes dink in the air just to avoid a player blocking a passing channel so it find its real target. thats another reason why the defending is so bad on fifa18, Attacks that you could of stemmed halfway down the pitch on past FIFA'S now lead to chances everytime they have the ball. This isn't just tactical defending that has made FIFA18 the worse of the series it is an accumulation of things from all aspects of the game coming together to create a terrible experience.

Instead of improving on something like tactical defending the next year they are just leaving it broken from the year they introduced it then each year they add another broken feature and dont improve upon it so we are left with like 8 broken game play mechanics and nothing improved.
  • Swagster123
    1709 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited January 2018
    man i miss fifa 11 should of kept my ps2
  • Jasteban93
    57 posts Park Captain
    FIFA18 is an 84 on metacritic. As people get more internet savvy there are going to be more and more people posting 0-score user reviews because it's edgy or because of a movement like #FixFIFA. That's why user scores are going to go down, not because of x y z specific reason.
  • maksi
    6604 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 2018
    Metacritic scores can't be taken seriously, no large gaming site dares to give fifa low score because they won't be invited to EA events anymore (and no early access to games).
  • GoonerSoldier
    366 posts Sunday League Hero
    Guys. The problem with the series is Tactical Defending only works well with FULL MANUAL controls. Wake up Fifa Stans and realize if the defending is made difficult the attacking aspect of the game has to be made hard too. You cant have a game where passing/shooting requires ZERO skill and the defending requires a high level of "tactical" skill. Especially now that ppl have found ways to exploit the game and have their AI teammate pressure steal the ball while all you do is close passing lanes. It's become a joke and will get worse if you guys dont call for EA to bring back Legacy Defending to online games or make Fifa FULL MANUAL online a priority.
  • Since the last update FUT18 was terrible!! No passing correct, all rebounds, etc... It's the worst FIFA game ever!! I lost my money buying this game. When will EA launch a new update to FIFA????
  • china2991
    edited February 2018
    tactical defending was ok up until fifa17 the last 2 games it has become zero tactical it shouldn't even be called tactical defending anymore since the less you actually defend the more you are rewarded, My AI is better at winning the ball back when i put my controller down. I personally cant defend on fifa18 because there isnt a tackle button anymore and i dont defend using contain. my only way of winning the ball back is the ai auto tackling or by hoping they miss the chance they create.

it wold be interesting to hear the point of view from someone who can defend in this thread, Those guys that somehow manage to get the AI to stick to you within 1inch like glue and just mirror everything you do until they are given possession from a bad touch or you get out muscled.
  • Deviladvent
    431 posts Sunday League Hero
    more manual defending is the best thing happened to this game . whats your problem ? cant defend ? game has other issues
  • TacticalTugTeam
    1148 posts Professional
    FIFA16 was a good FIFA with a decent skill gap.

Less Auto Actions, Auto-blocks & manual Defending with harder passing.

FIFA17 & FIFA18 are both bad games for the competitive community due to assisted passing literally anybody can pass, Lack of skill moves which reduces the skill-gap it's just catered to the casuals.

• gxcpl
    140 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited February 2018
    At first I struggled a "loooot" with tactical defense. Now, I just struggle a "lot". But what makes me lose my mind is how DUMB the players are! Attacking AND defending!
    That kills my mood. I woudn't mind to lose a game because my opponent plays better, but is insanely annoying to lose because my players act like they're drunk, bumping into each other and staring at the ball and doing nothing.
    And the GKs are awful since the first Fifa. Sometimes, they are like Superman, flying around catching everything and reading minds (AND THEY WILL NEVER GIVE A PENALTY! NEVER!), never hurt and will turbo speed to cut every cross. Or sometimes they will act like if a water bottle is defending your goal (except when you play AI, 'cause they will always perform the match of their lives against you). Really unbalanced, and it bothers me way more than it should.
  • gxcpl
    140 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Fifa 18 doesn't feel "organic". It feels too "robotic". It's one of those games you feel you're playing a "too programmed" game, you kinda know what will happen before it happens.
  • Zidane11
    217 posts Sunday League Hero
    So why you don't switch over to the old defending system in controller settings?
  • ricardibreezer
    Zidane11 wrote: »
    So why you don't switch over to the old defending system in controller settings?

2 reasons;

1. I'm a competitive player, i want to play ranked matches against opponents of a similar level - not 'friendly' unranked games.

2. The point is that the rest of the game has been ruined in order to accomodate 'tactical degending'. Prior to fifa 12 it was super responsive, players would glide around and dribble real smoothly, no input lag, no 'stuck in the mud'. Even when you revert back to 'legacy defending' it still sucks to play on attack.
  • I play against my buddy, he uses legacy. It's **** terrible. All he does is Sprint in to me. I'm normally a wiggly kinda of player moving away from opposions momentum. But with him it has to be pass pass pass. Going around a player is not an option
  • ricardibreezer
    I play against my buddy, he uses legacy. It's **** terrible. All he does is Sprint in to me. I'm normally a wiggly kinda of player moving away from opposions momentum. But with him it has to be pass pass pass. Going around a player is not an option

Because they killed dribbling & ball control to accomodate 'tactical'. 'Legacy' is more realistic because defenders actually tackle rather than running to within 2 yards then staring at feet.

If they gave us responsive, slick dribbling you could easily dribble past your buddy or have a few of his players sent off if he simply holds x to charge you without jockeying & timing his defending properly.
  • Korthan
    2407 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited February 2018
    Rossi1000 wrote: »
    Fifa 13 was a solid game nice balance online and offline to it

FUT 13 was too fast and people spamming LBY was epidemic. Caused many rants on the old forum including from me. :D

It had potential though. There was the core of a good, fun game in there.