The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC & console, this includes the changes listed here.

I have a problem

Enigma8784
1823 posts Play-Off Hero
Hi Folks

Thanks for reading this.

Problem is I do actually really like fifa 18 but I am dreadful.

I’ve watched YouTube on it, tried new cts and no cts.

Tried nearly all the formations under the sun but I just can’t git gud.

I have the following

GK Courtois
RB Walker
LB Prime Carlos- since yesterday
CB Bailly Azpi and Alderweirald
CM Baka Totgs De Bruyne Futmas Wijnaldum
Wingers Willian if Sterling Sane Son
Cam Adp
Strikers- Martial and Overmars on 7 chem Jesus and Aguero.

I can score just cannot for the life of me defend. I do prefer a 2 striker formation and like to have AdP as a cam rather than a ST if possible.

I also have 450k in the bank and various investments in the club.

I am a div 4-5 player win a few on the bounce then lose a few. With the players I have I should be playing better. Thinking of buying Maldini Lb for CB at about 480k

Any suggestions other than git gut would be appreciated.

Comments

• Jobiwan
    3464 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 2018
    Change to 4231 with cams when the match starts go counter attack and dont use your defenders unless following runs. Use your cdms to chase back and close the space between the ball carrier and the nearest guy for a pass. Dont lunge in just cover the passing lanes. Makes the space to pass around in choked up and youll win the ball more...
  • Enigma8784
    1823 posts Play-Off Hero
    Jobiwan wrote: »
    Change to 4231 with cams when the match starts go counter attack and dont use your defenders unless following runs. Use your cdms to chase back and close the space between the ball carrier and the nearest guy for a pass. Dont lunge in just cover the passing lanes. Makes the space to pass around in choked up and youll win the ball more...

Thanks Jobi, would you play Aguero (untradeable) as Cam and Overmars as St?

I am interested in the 4231 for how solid it can be if used properly which I obvs haven’t been. Could then use my coins for another cdm?
  • Jobiwan
    Yeah thatd be fine i reckon. What i do with instructions is:
    3 cams - stay forward
    2 cdms - stay back, cut passing lanes
    Rb/Lb - stay back
    First ten minutes: ultra d if your winning by then stay that way. If not go ultra attacking from then and you should blitz them...
  • woggyboy86
    1556 posts Play-Off Hero
    What are your possession stats at end of each game? Thing I found this FIFA is if you attack fast you get counter attacked fast.

Try slow pace of game down. You have a solid team maybe just getting too carried away trying to score quickly.
  • Jobiwan
    I use futmas wijnaldum as a 2nd cdm in that formation with sentinel and hes good there once you have a destroyer which you do with bakayoko. Just make sure your wide cams have serious pace so they can exploit the gaps. I like to have a left footer on the left and right footer on the right so they can low driven if they get through or if theres not enough space driven pass across the goal mouth...
  • i2-TempZ-2i
    6434 posts Big Money Move
    I'm in division 1 and i still can't defend this year lol i don't think many people can tbh alot of the games i see on champions channel has people lunging constantly and making stupid mistakes with ridiculously high scoring games
  • Jobiwan
    edited January 2018
    I'm in division 1 and i still can't defend this year lol i don't think many people can tbh alot of the games i see on champions channel has people lunging constantly and making stupid mistakes with ridiculously high scoring games

Ah yeah you'll never be amazing at defending in this game its just not possible but you can get semi decent. Fifa at its worst is like liverpool at their worst: Make a bucketload of chances and inexplicably miss them all hit the bar etc, then they have one shot from thirty yards where your keeper just falls over and they get a result :D
  • Enigma8784
    1823 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ok cool I’ll give it a go thanks. Any custom tactics or leave on default?

I normally let in a goal in the first 15 mins and am chasing the game so prob do rush a bit too much.

Possession normally about 60-40 in my favour.

I do quite often outplay my opponent but let in such easy goals.
  • Enigma8784
    1823 posts Play-Off Hero

Ah yeah you'll never be amazing at defending in this game its just not possible but you can get semi decent. Fifa at its worst is like liverpool at their worst: Make a bucketload of chances and inexplicably miss them all hit the bar etc, then they have one shot from thirty yards where your keeper just falls over and they get a result :D

As a fellow Liverpool supporter I feel you. Maybe that’s why I play like this lol
  • Jobiwan
    Enigma8784 wrote: »

I normally let in a goal in the first 15 mins and am chasing the game so prob do rush a bit too much.

No cts cause when you go counter attack its overwrites it. But change it in the pause menu if possible cause if its laggy it doesnt change properly. Or if you dont pause at all then just copy the counter attack tactics into your cts beforehand and your good to go...
  • Jobiwan

As a fellow Liverpool supporter I feel you. Maybe that’s why I play like this lol

Yeah i used to give out how that never happens in real life all the time but then i found i was giving out about the same things for liverpool matches. Im sure theres a comparison between the ai going nuts and dejan lovren too :D
  • Enigma8784
    1823 posts Play-Off Hero

No cts cause when you go counter attack its overwrites it. But change it in the pause menu if possible cause if its laggy it doesnt change properly. Or if you dont pause at all then just copy the counter attack tactics into your cts beforehand and your good to go...

Would setting this on the d pad work the same?

Yeah i used to give out how that never happens in real life all the time but then i found i was giving out about the same things for liverpool matches. Im sure theres a comparison between the ai going nuts and dejan lovren too :D

Yeah full Dejan Lovren mode most the time lol
  • Heshamk93
    1122 posts Professional
    I personally liked 4222 from all of the formations
    Try using that
  • Enigma8784
    1823 posts Play-Off Hero
    Heshamk93 wrote: »
    Try using that

I’ve read a few threads on it but when I tried it felt a few gaps?? Will give it a go after 4231 if this doesn’t work out
  • Jobiwan

You can but sometimes it doesnt register if its laggy
  • Heshamk93
    1122 posts Professional
    Try using that

I’ve read a few threads on it but when I tried it felt a few gaps?? Will give it a go after 4231 if this doesn’t work out

Maybe because of workrates because
    Boateng and Bailly led to gaps in the defense
    Boateng and Alderwereld didnt give any gaps in defense

Gonna try Kompany and Van Dijk today to see how they play alongside Boateng
  • Enigma8784
    1823 posts Play-Off Hero

You can but sometimes it doesnt register if its laggy

Ok cool I’ll do that. Played 3 won 2 lost 1 so far.

The one I lost was 4-3 kept getting me with through balls to Mbappé.
  • Enigma8784
    1823 posts Play-Off Hero
    Try using that

Maybe because of workrates because
    Boateng and Bailly led to gaps in the defense
    Boateng and Alderwereld didnt give any gaps in defense

Gonna try Kompany and Van Dijk today to see how they play alongside Boateng

Cool thanks let me know as Van Dijk looks good and nice physical too
  • Enigma8784
    1823 posts Play-Off Hero
    So far Won 3 drawn 1 lost 1 with 4231 and had 2 clean sheets which is great for me. Not let in a goal in first 15 mins yet which I normally do every game.

I’m subbing on Promes Jesus and Martial in 2nd half for Overmars, De Bruyne and Aguero as they seem to be the most tired.

Need to work on my finishing still too if today is anything to go by.

Thanks though Jobi for the suggestion.