OT: Stock Market Investing

Leon0713
1807 posts Fans' Favourite
Does anyone here invest in the stock market, IRL? I want to start trying to understand how this works and get an idea of what the stock market is like.

Comments

• Reus
    22545 posts Club Captain
    Invest in nuclear bomb shelters

Potential gold mine with trump in the Whitehouse

Everyone will want one soon
  • Fab
    17821 posts World Class
    Just buy crypto close your eyes and you've doubled your money trust me
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    UK construction industry is a safe bet my sources tell me
  • fluffymnuffy
    12531 posts Has That Special Something
    Reus wrote: »
    Invest in nuclear bomb shelters

Potential gold mine with trump in the Whitehouse

Everyone will want one soon

• Rafael89
    504 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Fab wrote: »

this, stockmarket is waaaaaay to slow lol
  • FUTAbell
    1328 posts Professional
    Rafael89 wrote: »

:neutral:
  • Leon0713
    Imagine being one of those that brought BitCoin back when they were cheaper than £1 back in 2009... must've felt like paying TOTY CR7 :D
  • Fab
    17821 posts World Class
    Rafael89 wrote: »

Real one. Ive gone all in on crypto and quintupled my worth in 2 years. Don't stay schleep, people. Theres free money to be made.
  • Satan the Angel
    656 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Invest in funds that track the market and have the lowest fund charge so you can mirror the market's performance. No one ever beats the market consistently.
  • Leon0713
    How do you actually learn how the market works - stock advisors?
  • FUTAbell
    1328 posts Professional
    Invest in funds that track the market and have the lowest fund charge so you can mirror the market's performance. No one ever beats the market consistently.

Thank you.

Vanguard index funds for example are good place to start. Diversify yourself from there.
  • Finesse_4days
    7164 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 2018

The bubble will burst as soon as the media or top investors raise potential uncertainty in the future value of the currency once they reach a very high value that will carry high risk for a first time investor. Risky business to invest once hype is in full
    Flow, obviously great if you invested a while ago.
  • FUTAbell
    1328 posts Professional

The bubble will burst as soon as the media or top investors raise potential uncertainty in the future value of the currency once they reach a very high value that will carry high risk for a first time investor. Risky business to invest once hype is in full

And horrible if you tried jumping on the bandwagon last couple weeks
  • Finesse_4days
    7164 posts Big Money Move
    FUTAbell wrote: »

Rule 1 of investing if an investment is hyped to the point the masses start investing and the media hype it up completely a fall in value is imminent.
  • FUTAbell
    1328 posts Professional
    But in terms of traditional investing @Leon0713 it's gonna depend on your risk tolerance and goals. Need to find the right balance in your portfolio for you as an investor. In an over simplified version, the more aggressive you are, or the higher your risk tolerance, the higher % will be made up of stocks... the more conservative you are, or the lower risk tolerance/focus on income, the more bonds and other risk adverse investments you should make.
  • Leon0713
    But in terms of traditional investing @Leon0713 it's gonna depend on your risk tolerance and goals. Need to find the right balance in your portfolio for you as an investor. In an over simplified version, the more aggressive you are, or the higher your risk tolerance, the higher % will be made up of stocks... the more conservative you are, or the lower risk tolerance/focus on income, the more bonds and other risk adverse investments you should make.

@FUTAbell Oh ok, thanks. I'm only a teenager right now and just trying to understand how this works early on so I have a better idea as I get older I guess.
  • Raandomer
    694 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I'm in the thick of it right now at uni, it's worth looking at getting an account on a stock market website that gives you £100k or so of 'fake' money to invest in in real time markets, just to see how you do and get a feel of things
  • No_NaMe
    9253 posts League Winner
    Any good guides to read on this sort of thing?
  • maymanpele
    14389 posts Has That Special Something
    US stock market has risen every month since Trump has been inaugurated. Thankfully he's maga. It's never had 12 months of growth in a row.

As for me, I didn't fall into the liberal fear mongering and I've made a killing. I could not work for 7 years and 2 months and live off of what I've made because of el presidente <3

I truly feel bad for those who got cold feet or didn't invest at all because of the fake news they read. If people did their own research or asked questions instead of gobbling up whatever Obama cronie barfed in their face, they'd be a lot happier.

As for OP, good job in trying to get more info. Hopefully you don't get bad advice from the many people who are terrified to really invest.
  • ManTrain
    2995 posts National Call-Up

This is what I did in my first month.

Honestly crypto is not for everyone and it’s extremely volatile but it’s likely going to net me a nice return this year.
  • ManTrain
    edited January 2018

Lol. What? I started 6 weeks ago and I’m at 100% ROI. there will be a burst in the bubble but 5-10 years down the line that will look so insignificant.

If you think crypto is mainstream right now idk what to tell you. Less than 1% of the world owns some. Still in early adoption stages. 2018-19 will likely be money printing season for a large number of crypto assets (even the trash projects)

90% of my money has gone into projects I believe strongly in and I’m just throwing darts with the last 10%.
  • Azof
    16603 posts World Class
    ManTrain wrote: »

Lol. What? I started 6 weeks ago and I’m at 100% ROI. there will be a burst in the bubble but 5-10 years down the line that will look so insignificant.

I imagine he is talking about BTC, went from near 20k to under 10k in a few weeks but its on its way back up
  • ManTrain
    Azof wrote: »

I imagine he is talking about BTC, went from near 20k to under 10k in a few weeks but its on its way back up

Indeed that would suck. I started buying at multiple levels to cost average in but I hold very litttle BTC right now.

Buying at all time highs is a no no and people got punished.
  • FUTAbell
    1328 posts Professional

Yeah was referring to this as BTC since most people who aren't overly familiar with crypto think the two are synonymous. And by couple weeks I was referring to buying it at 20K and watching it fall to the levels it had would be rough.

Main takeaway should be don't blindly think it's going to make you the amount of money it's made others, especially if you don't know what you're doing and think it's a crapshoot.

• Azof
    16603 posts World Class

Yeah was referring to this as BTC since most people who aren't overly familiar with crypto think the two are synonymous. And by couple weeks I was referring to buying it at 20K and watching it fall to the levels it had would be rough.

Main takeaway should be don't blindly think it's going to make you the amount of money it's made others, especially if you don't know what you're doing and think it's a crapshoot.

I'm too anxious to put money into any of them, I cant imagine it can be great for your health constantly checking the price and seeing yourself lose hand over fist for no real reason
  • ManTrain

I'm too anxious to put money into any of them, I cant imagine it can be great for your health constantly checking the price and seeing yourself lose hand over fist for no real reason

Or gain hand over fist. ;)

You have to be desensitized to money. I played poker for a number of years and learned that skill. I started reading about crypto around late summer but didn’t invest until early December so I really cost myself some good positions.

The problem is so much money is coming in that every single project is making ridiculous (unsustainable) gains. Probably won’t change in the next year.

I’ve spent hours a day studying projects, market trends, technical analysis, etc. Part of me loves the volatility but I’ve been pretty “safe” in my investments so far.
  • FUTAbell
    1328 posts Professional

You have to be desensitized to money. I played poker for a number of years and learned that skill. I started reading about crypto around late summer but didn’t invest until early December so I really cost myself some good positions.

The problem is so much money is coming in that every single project is making ridiculous (unsustainable) gains. Probably won’t change in the next year.

I’ve spent hours a day studying projects, market trends, technical analysis, etc. Part of me loves the volatility but I’ve been pretty “safe” in my investments so far.

It's a great play if you know what you're doing and put the time in to research it like you have, but your every day mom and pop investors who just try to jump on the train are the ones who're going to get impaled by it in my opinion.
  • ManTrain

It's a great play if you know what you're doing and put the time in to research it like you have, but your every day mom and pop investors who just try to jump on the train are the ones who're going to get impaled by it in my opinion.

I agree, and they should.

Anybody following a crowd to invest in anything probably deserves to lose on the investment.

I just think the tech and real world application for a lot of these projects is pretty futuristic and cool.
  • Barslund
    4644 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 2018

This.
    Boring conclusion after finising a Master in Finance :smiley:

Edit: Should add that it provides you with the cheapest diversification which is ESSENTIAL!
  • Th3 UK Smurf
    2684 posts Fans' Favourite
    If your wanting to invest in crypto... don’t buy denominations in BTC (depending how much you have to invest)

Look at other crypto currencies... I have money in Ripple and that is making me a nice return at the moment and right now is much more accessible to buy for the average joe like myself