The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.
------------------
Note: The SBCs issue has been resolved, details posted on this thread in a tweet from FIFA Direct Communication.

(OT) British History. Famous People.

1345
Pugzilla
16906 posts World Class
Yesterday there was a holiday here in the States honoring Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. So I know a tad here and there about history and I have BA in History. I love the Civil Rights movement and know quite a bit about it. We have quite a few "minor" holidays here like MLK day. It dawned on me though that people of a similar status from GB I know very little about. I was thinking maybe a few of you guys could maybe drop a name of some prominent kinda prominent historical figures so I can research them on my own. Books are ok too if you have a good one. If I don't tag you no hard feelings I would still like to have your input!

@coatsy2008 @hoban95 @Azof

Comments

  • WoundedGoat
    13105 posts Has That Special Something
    Sir Isaac Newton
    Isambard Kingdom Brunel
    Sir Frank Whittle
    Paul Scholes
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    Herbert Spencer
  • YOLOT0URE
    7082 posts Big Money Move
    I almost made a comment, then realised I would probably be banned and changed my mind
  • King Arthur
  • KingLionel10
    15107 posts World Class
    Alan Shearer
  • Pugzilla
    16906 posts World Class
    Sir Isaac Newton
    Isambard Kingdom Brunel
    Sir Frank Whittle
    Paul Scholes

    Brunel -

    VOTED SECOND MOST IMPORTANT BRITON EVER?

    Never even heard of the guy haha. Favorite nugget.

    The topmast of the Great Eastern is used as a flagpole at the entrance to Anfield, Liverpool Football Club's ground.[92]

    This is exactly what I wanted thanks @WoundedGoat
  • hoban95
    50562 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    Oliver Cromwell
    Florence Nightingale
  • FloydRoad
    631 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Alan Turin & Barnes Wallis. Huge influences on the outcome of the war.

    In b4 anyone says Murica was the influence :)
  • WoundedGoat
    13105 posts Has That Special Something
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Sir Isaac Newton
    Isambard Kingdom Brunel
    Sir Frank Whittle
    Paul Scholes

    Brunel -

    VOTED SECOND MOST IMPORTANT BRITON EVER?

    Never even heard of the guy haha. Favorite nugget.

    The topmast of the Great Eastern is used as a flagpole at the entrance to Anfield, Liverpool Football Club's ground.[92]

    This is exactly what I wanted thanks @WoundedGoat

    William Wilberforce
    Charles Darwin
    Sir Walter Raleigh
    Sir Francis Drake
    Jeremy Clarkson

    A few more and a please my dear @Pugzilla
  • UTG
    2412 posts Fans' Favourite
    The Huxley family are interesting, and they had quite an influence on late nineteenth/early twentieth century thinking in this country (in science and the arts; specifically T.H. Huxley, Julian, and Aldous, if you want to look them up).
  • Azof
    17229 posts World Class
    Alfred the Great, afaik he is the one that layed the foundation for England actually being united and not a number of smaller kingdoms
  • WoundedGoat
    13105 posts Has That Special Something
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Oliver Cromwell
    Florence Nightingale

    Thomas > Oliver haha
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    Read up on Margaret Thatcher and tell us what you think.
  • Reus
    23012 posts Club Captain
    Alan Turing
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Sir Isaac Newton
    Isambard Kingdom Brunel
    Sir Frank Whittle
    Paul Scholes

    Brunel -

    VOTED SECOND MOST IMPORTANT BRITON EVER?

    Never even heard of the guy haha. Favorite nugget.

    The topmast of the Great Eastern is used as a flagpole at the entrance to Anfield, Liverpool Football Club's ground.[92]

    This is exactly what I wanted thanks @WoundedGoat

    William Wilberforce
    Charles Darwin
    Sir Walter Raleigh
    Sir Francis Drake
    Jeremy Clarkson

    A few more and a please my dear @Pugzilla

    I think/really hope 99% of the world knows Charles Darwin :D
  • Pugzilla
    16906 posts World Class
    UTG wrote: »
    The Huxley family are interesting, and they had quite an influence on late nineteenth/early twentieth century thinking in this country (in science and the arts; specifically T.H. Huxley, Julian, and Aldous, if you want to look them up).

    Ohhhh I love Aldus but I didn't know he was from a famous family I will be looking into this too..


    (I am a beta plus btw)
  • WoundedGoat
    13105 posts Has That Special Something
    Santiago wrote: »
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Sir Isaac Newton
    Isambard Kingdom Brunel
    Sir Frank Whittle
    Paul Scholes

    Brunel -

    VOTED SECOND MOST IMPORTANT BRITON EVER?

    Never even heard of the guy haha. Favorite nugget.

    The topmast of the Great Eastern is used as a flagpole at the entrance to Anfield, Liverpool Football Club's ground.[92]

    This is exactly what I wanted thanks @WoundedGoat

    William Wilberforce
    Charles Darwin
    Sir Walter Raleigh
    Sir Francis Drake
    Jeremy Clarkson

    A few more and a please my dear @Pugzilla

    I think/really hope 99% of the world knows Charles Darwin :D

    Depends if you read the bible I guess lol.
  • hoban95
    50562 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    Peter wrote: »
    Read up on Margaret Thatcher and tell us what you think.

    This should be good.
  • Reus
    23012 posts Club Captain
    edited January 2018
    As if princess Diana was voted the third greatest Briton :D

    Because she contributed more to the human race than Darwin, Newton and Shakespeare looooooool
  • Azof
    17229 posts World Class
    Reus wrote: »
    As if princess Diana was voted the third greatest Briton :D

    Because she contributed more to the human race than Darwin, Newton and Shakespeare looooooool

    Tim Berners-Lee 99th compared to her 3rd, joke of a list
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Peter wrote: »
    Read up on Margaret Thatcher and tell us what you think.

    This should be good.

    Thatcher is actually a very interesting person to learn about.
  • UTG
    2412 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited January 2018
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    UTG wrote: »
    The Huxley family are interesting, and they had quite an influence on late nineteenth/early twentieth century thinking in this country (in science and the arts; specifically T.H. Huxley, Julian, and Aldous, if you want to look them up).

    Ohhhh I love Aldus but I didn't know he was from a famous family I will be looking into this too..


    (I am a beta plus btw)

    Come on Pugz, everyone's an Alpha on the internet. ;)

    Yeah me too, always enjoyed his writing. It's worth looking up T.H. and Julian as well though (for their contributions to the scientific community).

    e: BTW if you like Huxley's work, then other UK figures in the arts from around WWI and just after may be worth looking into (like Wyndham Lewis).
  • Shaanxz
    20920 posts Club Captain
    Idris elba
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    Shaanxz wrote: »
    Idris elba

    Such a good actor. His performance in Beasts of No Nation was A+
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    Santiago wrote: »
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Peter wrote: »
    Read up on Margaret Thatcher and tell us what you think.

    This should be good.

    Thatcher is actually a very interesting person to learn about.

    She still shapes politics round here. People aren't voting Corbyn in Liverpool, Wigan etc because they like him, they are just staunch labour voters because they hate Thatcher.
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    4086 posts National Call-Up
    Winston Churchill will always win for obvious reasons
  • G12OGN
    1519 posts Play-Off Hero
    Emile Heskey.
  • WoundedGoat
    13105 posts Has That Special Something
    Peter wrote: »
    Santiago wrote: »
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Peter wrote: »
    Read up on Margaret Thatcher and tell us what you think.

    This should be good.

    Thatcher is actually a very interesting person to learn about.

    She still shapes politics round here. People aren't voting Corbyn in Liverpool, Wigan etc because they like him, they are just staunch labour voters because they hate Thatcher.

    Time to move on isn't it?
  • Legends.1878
    3646 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 2018
    Margaret Thatcher
    Churchill
    Benjamin Disraeli
    Oliver Cromwell
    Cuco Martina
    Post edited by EA_DarDar on
  • Humma78
    2331 posts Fans' Favourite
    Winston Churchill will always win for obvious reasons
    Was that for being an evil ****, responsible for the death of millions in India? Or turning tanks on other Brits? Seems very obvious yep.

Sign In or Register to comment.