Qualifying for the WL for the first time. A Samuel L Bronkowitz production...

Drizzt
453 posts Sunday League Hero
So since day one of WL, in fifa 17, I've tried to get through and not once did I qualify in 17. I tried many tactics, had million pound squads, but it never helped and I never got through. Round 3 plenty of times, but not to the final.

Fifa 18 was going to be different, but alas, it was the same and I still couldn't qualify.

My 12 year old son last month qualified for the first time and since then for some reason, he qualifies every week, but his dear old dad, sucks.

That all ended about 5 mins ago. I thought sod it, I'm never going to qualify, so I was relaxed and off I went with 3 more tries left.

First game 3-2
Second game 4-2
Third game 6-2
Final 3 - 0

I know it sounds sad, but I'm actually stunned....

So it's finally over and the monkey is off my back.

Pity I'm working Friday and I'm travelling with the family to London on Saturday returning to Gods own land Yorkshire on Sunday, so I will get at least 1 game in for my troubles.

Hopefully this won't be the last.

Thanks for reading and your popcorn has been .... in... :wink:

Comments

• Schmucke13
    196 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Cheers. Aim for 10 wins on your first time
  • Congrats. My 12 year old qualifies every week while I struggle. Need young people reflexes to play this game.
  • Blinky
    461 posts Sunday League Hero
    If you're in Yorkshire, why would you leave? Unless you're in Leeds, then I get it. Congrats on qualifying though, now you've done it once, I'm sure it'll happen again. Just hopefully not on a weekend where you have to be surrounded by bloody southerners and their shandy.
  • Drizzt
    wwffan99tx wrote: »
    Congrats. My 12 year old qualifies every week while I struggle. Need young people reflexes to play this game.

Dont ask how many controllers I go through. My son keeps on telling me that they won't run faster the harder I press the stick.
    Blinky wrote: »
    If you're in Yorkshire, why would you leave? Unless you're in Leeds, then I get it. Congrats on qualifying though, now you've done it once, I'm sure it'll happen again. Just hopefully not on a weekend where you have to be surrounded by bloody southerners and their shandy.

Wife and daughter are going to musical and the wife thinks London is somewhere near Newcastle, muggins has to take em.

And as to Leeds, raised there for 20 years then moved to Pontefract. So yes, you are kinda correct as I hate Leeds and don't get me started on Dirty Leeds United!!!! :wink:

And I like a nice Shandy though, especially with lots of foam :blush:
  • bigpokey24
    4786 posts Big Money Move
    Drizzt wrote: »
    So since day one of WL, in fifa 17, I've tried to get through and not once did I qualify in 17. I tried many tactics, had million pound squads, but it never helped and I never got through. Round 3 plenty of times, but not to the final.

Fifa 18 was going to be different, but alas, it was the same and I still couldn't qualify.

My 12 year old son last month qualified for the first time and since then for some reason, he qualifies every week, but his dear old dad, sucks.

That all ended about 5 mins ago. I thought sod it, I'm never going to qualify, so I was relaxed and off I went with 3 more tries left.

First game 3-2
    Second game 4-2
    Third game 6-2
    Final 3 - 0

Pity I'm working Friday and I'm travelling with the family to London on Saturday returning to Gods own land Yorkshire on Sunday, so I will get at least 1 game in for my troubles.

Very entertaining post..congrats brother.
  • ParryJack5
    90 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited January 2018
    Congratulations, amazing!!

Get as many in as you can!

• richo27
    3735 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 2018
    42 year old Dad year, first time qualifier too! My 11 year old is just on minecraft all the time. Strangely I am also originally from Yorkshire!

Congrats by the way!
  • Envy you! I haven’t done it once! Just enjoy playing AI.
  • GrinWithoutaKat
    1147 posts Professional
    edited January 2018
    Congratulations! I'm someone who also struggles to win that DKT, and as a result, I think people like us enjoy WL far more than those who get in every week. I've managed to get in 3 times now (but 2 of those times were in the last 3 weeks), and not once have I felt stressed out by WL. What stresses me out is spending most of my evening playing the DKT, not winning it, and having all that time count for nothing.

Hopefully you get in again when you have more time. I won my first DKT in early November and had one of those weekends where I could hardly get games in. Took until late December to get back in, but when I got to give it a really go, it went pretty wel. I don't want to get your hopes up, but even though I fail so much at the DKT, I've got 18 wins the last two times I played WL. I didn't go in expecting that in either of them, so if I was you, I'd just go in with no expectations and see where you end up. It's the expectation that brings the stress and rage.
  • Drizzt
    Cheers all for the kind words.

There’s still a lot of “normal” people on these forums amongst the cesspool lot that reside here which I’m glad of.

• HelloDearie
    2238 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited January 2018

First game 3-2
    Second game 4-2
    Third game 6-2
    Final 3 - 0

Top Read seriously good to read something like this instead of most of the dross in here :D but dont go back to Yorkshire, come across to the Red Rose County, you will love it ;)

but in all seriousness, you will play a game in the holy grail of the WL, and then wish you never bothered :D
  • franhomero
    127 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    It may be easier for you to qualify through seasons, at this point of the year there are not many good people in lower divisions, and once you promote to Div 1 you are good to go.
  • JorisDB
    1383 posts Professional
    Gratz on you buddy!
    As a 25 year old I can not imagine how it is to have a son who does qualify for WL when you yourself struggle, but I can understand it's a great feeling to finally qualify!
    Sunday is the easiest day to play WL games (at least for me it is) since loads of good players will be done already, so you might even get a decent amount of wins if you can play some games on Sunday.
  • Well done!

Relaxation is key - the harder you try, the harder you get punished. Do you see the pros stressed and smashing their buttons?
  • Stickybelly
    2666 posts Fans' Favourite

First game 3-2
    Second game 4-2
    Third game 6-2
    Final 3 - 0

Big up for Yorkshire! good luck man