OT: "Kenny"

VanBasten12
6784 posts Big Money Move
Finished watching the doco "Kenny". Wow!

As a teenager during the 80's, 3 of my best mates were Liverpool fans - was a very tough time as a United supporter :lol: . Regardless, you simply had to admire that Liverpool side. Nothing more ... they were in a class of their own.

On the man ... Incredible footballer with a sublime touch. Superb manager too. He also appears to be an amazing man - amazing couple actually he and his wife! Another wow! Blessed, deserved so, to have a family like that too.

On the doco ... it was very, very well done! Was not expecting the emotional roller coaster ride - will be honest. I remembered watching the Hillsborough semi-final - from afar on telly. Couldn't quite understand initially what was going & later it was somewhat surreal seeing/hearing what had happened. Still haunting seeing the images today. Watching them discuss this ... in his own words ... won't lie - had tears in my eyes - minutes after the doco ended still.

Highly recommend it, for any football fan. Fantastic watch. No matter what rivalry there may be, you simply cannot but respect Kenny Dalglish.

Comments

• Vinny1979
    6105 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 2018
    you simply cannot but respect Kenny Dalglish.

Apart from this.......

small time club and small time manager

got what he deserved

Dalglish.jpg

suarezreu_2091574b.jpg

dalglishbrain.jpg

article-0-0F43FAA000000578-772_468x286.jpg

• ethnick
    5853 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 2018
    was expecting this lol
    1b05a462573c419ba814a5915b471a3a.jpg
  • Blackpoolmonster
    4968 posts Big Money Move
    Vinny1979 wrote: »

Apart from this.......

got what he deserved

Dalglish.jpg

suarezreu_2091574b.jpg

dalglishbrain.jpg

"Got what he deserved".

Are you aware that he was playing during the Heysel disaster? That he watched on as manager during the Hillsborough disaster? He then attended numerous funerals and acted as a go between the club and the families?

I'd suggest he's probably never managed to get over what he's been through thanks to football and that would afford him a little respect for any decisions he's made since then.

All the players he's ever managed loved him, he's won leagues and cups, he was a quality player.

To suggest he's a small time manager just simply shows how uneducated you are when it comes to football in all honesty.
  • VanBasten12
    @Vinny1979 ... go watch it before commenting further.

Not one of us is perfect, but the Hillsborough disaster is a tragedy, regardless. Heysel too. This shows how much he was affected by this, and resigned a year-odd later.
  • Hibee
    12551 posts Has That Special Something
    Superb doc, saw it when it first came out. A hero of mine when I was a kid. Probably Scotlands last world class player.
  • VanBasten12

Apart from this.......

got what he deserved

Dalglish.jpg

suarezreu_2091574b.jpg

dalglishbrain.jpg

"Got what he deserved".

Are you aware that he was playing during the Heysel disaster? That he watched on as manager during the Hillsborough disaster? He then attended numerous funerals and acted as a go between the club and the families?

I'd suggest he's probably never managed to get over what he's been through thanks to football and that would afford him a little respect for any decisions he's made since then.

All the players he's ever managed loved him, he's won leagues and cups, he was a quality player.

To suggest he's a small time manager just simply shows how uneducated you are when it comes to football in all honesty.

Agree with all you said.

Thanks.
  • Vinny1979
    edited January 2018
    Yeah I know all about it

You never got Sir Matt Busby pulling silly stunts like that, Bobby Charlton, Bill foulkes, Harry Gregg, proper football men, these guys survived the Munich Air disaster, taking nothing away from other disasters but what these guys went through,

They kept their counsel, Dalglish was always a bitter person even when young.

Suarez incident was hard to swallow

Kenny looks like a homeless dude, he lost it towards the end and was righly sacked / quit (2nd liverpool stint)

never got over liverpool being knocked off their perch by utd

:)

talking of heysel, I also recall the "munich 58" flags on display during the match

so

• VanBasten12
    Yeah I know all about it

You never got Sir Matt Busby pulling silly stunts like that, Bobby Charlton, Bill foulkes, Harry Gregg, proper football men, these guys survived the Munich Air disaster, taking nothing away from other disasters but what these guys went through,

Kenny looks like a homeless dude, he lost it towards the end and was righly sacked / quit

Again, watch it.

Just remember that the media will do everything to make people in these positions, look worse than what it is.
  • Hibee
    Yeah I know all about it

Kenny looks like a homeless dude, he lost it towards the end and was righly sacked / quit (2nd liverpool stint)

Man you proper hate this guy. Fact is he was the best player in a Liverpool team that was the best team in Europe for years. Won the 3 European Cups ffs. Didn't really get a shot at winning in europe as manager due to the English clubs ban. Sill won plenty though.
  • VanBasten12
    Yeah I know all about it

talking of heysel, I also recall the "munich 58" flags on display during the match

so

... and you will see how what happened that day, affected him and essentially is the last time Liverpool were great.
  • Vinny1979
    I will watch it

• Hibee
    edited January 2018
    Yeah I know all about it

so

... and you will see how what happened that day, affected him and essentially is the last time Liverpool were great.

Thing is Man Utd were still to win the league for first time since the 60s when Dalglish resigned. Certainly weren't knocked off any perch in his time. He clearly had never got over Hillsborough, didn't look well when he left. Going to every single funeral and seeing what he saw would have a lasting affect in anyone. Did not bad at Blackburn when he came back though.
  • WoundedGoat
    13105 posts Has That Special Something
    About a month back I was walking home from my parents house an I saw this old chap with his grandson on his shoulders, I gave the little guy a high five and continued to walk. I then looked back to say what a great grandson he had.

A double take an in complete shock I said "You are Kenny Dalglish!"

I've met some famous people in my time and never been that star struck lol, we had a little chat and he was gracious to let me have a selfie. Of which he helped me do because I hadn't done one before as the camera was the wrong way round haha.

Despite being a United fan he's a legend end of.

@Campino will verify haha

• Pugzilla
    17329 posts World Class
    About a month back I was walking home from my parents house an I saw this old chap with his grandson on his shoulders, I gave the little guy a high five and continued to walk. I then looked back to say what a great grandson he had.

I've met some famous people in my time and never been that star struck lol, we had a little chat and he was gracious to let me have a selfie. Of which he helped me do because I hadn't done one before as the camera was the wrong way round haha.

legit story 10/10
  • VanBasten12

Awesome stuff mate! Thanks for sharing that.
  • Hibee

That's superb man. And I know you have no love lost for Liverpool lol.
  • WoundedGoat
    Hibee wrote: »

I really don't, credit where credits due though.

I had to tell him I was a big fan of his mate Sir Alex.

He did chuckle, I expected to be a wee bit dour, fair play though he was a gent.

Turns out his daughter lives up the road from me.
  • Hibee

He did chuckle, I expected to be a wee bit dour, fair play though he was a gent.

The sky sports presenter? Lucky man! You seen his film yet? A superb watch. Awfully emotional though.
  • WoundedGoat

The sky sports presenter? Lucky man! You seen his film yet? A superb watch. Awfully emotional though.

I didn't even know until this thread, I'll defiantly give it a watch.

And yeah Kelly, before anyone asks I'm not telling where she lives or the pub Kenny goes when he visits lol.
  • Hibee

And yeah Kelly, before anyone asks I'm not telling where she lives or the pub Kenny goes when he visits lol.

Haha only a football fan would push her out the way to speak to her dad!
  • Vinny1979 wrote: »

Apart from this.......

got what he deserved

Dalglish.jpg

suarezreu_2091574b.jpg

dalglishbrain.jpg

Christ, this post is just as laughable.

"got what he deserved."
  • Michael LFC 96
    3711 posts National Call-Up
    hoban95 wrote: »

Apart from this.......

got what he deserved

Dalglishjpg

suarezreu_2091574.jpg

dalglishbrainjpg

article-0-0F43FAA000000578-772_468x286.jp

"got what he deserved."

He's a funny young man is our Vincent, especially for someone coming up 40 lmao
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    edited January 2018
    His footballing achievements aside, what he did for the Hillsborough families make him a legend in his own right.

Him and his wife do a hell of a lot for charity as well. How that man's not been knighted I do not know.

That's before you even consider that he was the best player in one of the best club teams ever, and one of the few successful player managers.

The man is simply a legend.
  • Hitman_Hatton
    14382 posts Has That Special Something
    The t-shirt was a mistake, but Dalgs is a top bloke. Amazed anyone would have a grudge against him.
  • hoban95 wrote: »

Apart from this.......

got what he deserved

Dalglishjpg

suarezreu_2091574.jpg

dalglishbrainjpg

article-0-0F43FAA000000578-772_468x286.jp

"got what he deserved."

He's a funny young man is our Vincent, especially for someone coming up 40 lmao

Oh dear :D
  • Didn't he attend all 96 funerals for Hillsborough or am i mistaken?
  • Peter
    edited January 2018
    hoban95 wrote: »
    Didn't he attend all 96 funerals for Hillsborough or am i mistaken?

He didn't do all 96 because some overlapped, but he made sure someone from the club was at every funeral.

But he pretty much attended one every day for a 3/4 weeks, 4 in one day once.

Basically went to as many as physically possible, go knows what that does to a person mentally.
  • jheez...
  • VanBasten12

:joy:
  • Peter

My dream woman is Kelly.