There's a contain button? Really???

yerwaltz
4078 posts National Call-Up
I feel pretty stupid, I just realized last night there is a contain button for defending. I totally remember this from older fifas but I guess I forgot about it, literally have not used it in this fifa or the last until last night.

lol I just find that funny. Does anyone actually use it? I pride myself in thinking im a decent defender, not quite as good as last year but not that bad either ( just don't ask the guys in the forums tourney), and so without ever using it, have I put myself at a disadvantage?

Didn't really seem game changing or anything at all. Is there a time when you want to use it and other times you don't? Thanks guys!

Comments

• Maverick
    10355 posts Has That Special Something
    It's trash compared to last year. Which is kind of a good and bad thing.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    35965 posts World Cup Winner
    Yeah it’s not good and pull get torched if you use it too much
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    If you’ve been solid at defending without using it, don’t change anything
  • VanBasten12
    6784 posts Big Money Move
    Good to hear the comments on this as I've never used it. Phew!
  • Blarix
    20871 posts Club Captain
    You know when you can't move even after you do great turn he is instantly back on you ? That's the auto contain .it is absolutely disgusting that you even have that in there and all the good players abuse that. They only manually defend once you break through the back 4.
  • Yoshi
    3963 posts National Call-Up
    RB is necessary at times but A is and will always be a joke.
  • yerwaltz

haha thanks man, yea I'll jus try to forget about than
    Good to hear the comments on this as I've never used it. Phew!

ikr lol
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain

I like tapping it if defending on the edge of the box
  • Blarix
    20871 posts Club Captain
    What's the one when you press and the player you controlling auto chases the one with the ball and predicts every turn automatically? I use different button combinations to most in here.
  • Carswell
    8566 posts League Winner
    Don’t even use it
  • yerwaltz
    Blarix wrote: »
    What's the one when you press and the player you controlling auto chases the one with the ball and predicts every turn automatically? I use different button combinations to most in here.

if you mean contain, its A on default controls. Im confused though what you mean lol
  • Maverick
    10355 posts Has That Special Something
    You know when you can't move even after you do great turn he is instantly back on you ? That's the auto contain .it is absolutely disgusting that you even have that in there and all the good players abuse that. They only manually defend once you break through the back 4.

If by "instantly back on you" you mean five feet away, then yes, you're correct. What you described sounds like contain from last year.

Before I finally got the hang of manual defending this year, I tried being a contain noob. But my oh my did EA change things from 17. Holding A will make your defender mirror the attacker, but you give them acres of space and all of a sudden your player will just stop. Last year it essentially stuck your defender to the attacker like glue, which is why I said in my earlier post it's kind of a good thing that EA changed it. It was severely abused in 17.

I'll rarely use it to try and automatically bring a defender closer to the attacker, but even then I prefer to do that myself because the function is so poor.

• Knowlesdinho
    15133 posts World Class
    If you use it too much, you'll easily get exposed by a quick one-two.

It does have it's uses though.
  • yerwaltz

could you expand on the uses? that's kind of what I was getting it, if there is a use for it, when?
    coatsy2008 wrote: »

that's helpful brother thanks!
  • RadioShaq
    20507 posts Moderator
    Why would it be funny? Defense needs assistance because nobody plays manual offense. Most don’t even know how to turn manual offense on lol.
  • MikeyP_FC
    14666 posts Has That Special Something
    Carswell wrote: »
    Don’t even use it

• XxRichiexRichxX

You referring to the contain/tackle button for legacy defending? Can’t do that online with tactical defending.
  • yerwaltz
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    Why would it be funny? Defense needs assistance because nobody plays manual offense. Most don’t even know how to turn manual offense on lol.

Not sure who you are talking to but yea I did say its funny in the OP, in that I hadn't ever used it and had forgotten about it entirely since playing fifa '10.

What do you mean turn manual offense on? im so lost lol

• Blarix
    20871 posts Club Captain

You referring to the contain/tackle button for legacy defending? Can’t do that online with tactical defending.

I never play offline. It's RB button for me it just tracks the attacker automatically and runs close to him as long as you hold it
  • XxRichiexRichxX

I never play offline. It's RB button for me it just tracks the attacker automatically and runs close to him as long as you hold it

Ah 2nd man contain.
  • RadioShaq
    20507 posts Moderator
    I just mean in general people go on and on about defense needing or playing manual but won’t play manual offense so it won’t change. Go into settings and turn it all to manual.
  • Knowlesdinho
    15133 posts World Class
    yerwaltz wrote: »

could you expand on the uses? that's kind of what I was getting it, if there is a use for it, when?
    coatsy2008 wrote: »

that's helpful brother thanks!

If you misjudge movement it can get you back on point, but it's best to use it on the wings or when you aren't staring down a Jesus, Mane one-two.
  • Blarix
    20871 posts Club Captain

Ah 2nd man contain.

No not second man contain lmao. The player you controlling is following the person with the ball around and staying close by just holding the button
  • Blarix
    20871 posts Club Captain
    It's on of those russian youtubers channel. Borat or something
  • XxRichiexRichxX

Ah 2nd man contain.

No not second man contain lmao. The player you controlling is following the person with the ball around and staying close by just holding the button

Oh. I’ve no idea. Do you have your controls as Classic?
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17270 posts World Class

Ah 2nd man contain.

That's A so whatever that is
  • Blarix
    20871 posts Club Captain

Ah 2nd man contain.

No, PES CONTROLS FTW
  • Daveofwales01
    8448 posts League Winner
    A is contain which I think @Blarix is on about
  • futureyears
    3234 posts National Call-Up

Ah 2nd man contain.

No, PES CONTROLS FTW

Wow, thought I was the only one :D

Spending about 10 years playing PES solidly from the mid-90s has ingrained those controls in my brain, no way I could get used to anything else now!
  • Blarix
    20871 posts Club Captain

Ah 2nd man contain.

No, PES CONTROLS FTW

Wow, thought I was the only one :D

Spending about 10 years playing PES solidly from the mid-90s has ingrained those controls in my brain, no way I could get used to anything else now!

Same here lmao