3-5-2 Help Please

DWR
358 posts Sunday League Hero
I’ve used the search on the forum but not quite found what I’m looking for so any help would be much appreciated.

As a casual Fifa player I’ve always stuck to the safe formations - however this year I’ve dedicated more time and effort to the game and have a half reasonable team (no icons or anything but good for me) and I’ve decided to give 3-5-2 a go mainly due to wanted a change from 4-1-2-1-2 (2) and the untradable players I want to play.

Only played my mate who I normally beat on seasons and his wingers tore me apart - just played for first 5 squad battles on legendary and won 4 lost 1 however scrapped through 2 of them.

I seem to be slightly exposed at the back even though I have my CDM’s staying back. I’m also not creating half as many chances as I did previously.

Any tips lads?

Cheers.

Comments

  • simmarjit
    516 posts Sunday League Hero
    Give 5-1-2-1-2 a go, have your fullbacks to always overlap so it will play like a 3 ATB formation when playing against narrow formation, and have them to stay back if playing against formations with wingers.
  • Arron xox
    2867 posts National Call-Up
    Just prey to god you don't come up against 433 or you will get ripped to pieces
  • Reus
    22317 posts Club Captain
    You will always be exposed at the back

    Have fun trying to score don't worry about conceding

    No point playing an attacking formation defensively
  • DiegoNapoles
    346 posts Sunday League Hero
    simmarjit wrote: »
    Give 5-1-2-1-2 a go, have your fullbacks to always overlap so it will play like a 3 ATB formation when playing against narrow formation, and have them to stay back if playing against formations with wingers.

    LOL
  • jdros
    2536 posts Fans' Favourite
    Reus wrote: »
    You will always be exposed at the back

    Have fun trying to score don't worry about conceding

    No point playing an attacking formation defensively

    Fully agree. Go to 3412 instead and learn how to manually move your midfielders around to keep your back 3 compact. If you are getting beat by wingers, it most likely means your RM/LM are trailing the play...which most likely means you turned the ball over in midfield. Possession and keeping your shape is very important when playing 3atb.

    I only play these formations, find them more fun. You’ll figure it out.
  • simmarjit
    516 posts Sunday League Hero
    simmarjit wrote: »
    Give 5-1-2-1-2 a go, have your fullbacks to always overlap so it will play like a 3 ATB formation when playing against narrow formation, and have them to stay back if playing against formations with wingers.

    LOL

    Try it, dont just LOL. It works.
  • DWR
    358 posts Sunday League Hero
    jdros wrote: »
    Reus wrote: »
    You will always be exposed at the back

    Have fun trying to score don't worry about conceding

    No point playing an attacking formation defensively

    Fully agree. Go to 3412 instead and learn how to manually move your midfielders around to keep your back 3 compact. If you are getting beat by wingers, it most likely means your RM/LM are trailing the play...which most likely means you turned the ball over in midfield. Possession and keeping your shape is very important when playing 3atb.

    I only play these formations, find them more fun. You’ll figure it out.

    Cheers bud. To be fair it took me a while to take to 4-1-2-1-2 but it did eventually click.

    I’ve only qualified for the WL once (although I have only tried twice through DKT so far) and fancying another shot at it however I can see my team getting torn apart if I’m not careful. Totally agree with your comment about my Midfield too so I’ll work on that aspect of my game.

    Do you use the custom tactics at all?
  • jdros
    2536 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited January 2018
    DWR wrote: »
    jdros wrote: »
    Reus wrote: »
    You will always be exposed at the back

    Have fun trying to score don't worry about conceding

    No point playing an attacking formation defensively

    Fully agree. Go to 3412 instead and learn how to manually move your midfielders around to keep your back 3 compact. If you are getting beat by wingers, it most likely means your RM/LM are trailing the play...which most likely means you turned the ball over in midfield. Possession and keeping your shape is very important when playing 3atb.

    I only play these formations, find them more fun. You’ll figure it out.

    Cheers bud. To be fair it took me a while to take to 4-1-2-1-2 but it did eventually click.

    I’ve only qualified for the WL once (although I have only tried twice through DKT so far) and fancying another shot at it however I can see my team getting torn apart if I’m not careful. Totally agree with your comment about my Midfield too so I’ll work on that aspect of my game.

    Do you use the custom tactics at all?

    I play on default tactics. Played with 100 pressure and aggression at the beginning of the year to get used to defending this year (it was hard) then backed down. Had attack build up speed higher at one point, but felt like the midfield would sometimes leave me with no passing options and if I lost the ball I was in trouble (remember, keeping shape is important). Also decided I liked 3412 better than 3421 this year, which I felt got too congested when I played someone who sat deep defensively. Only instructions I use are on the strikers, press back line and get in behind.

    Control midfielders in the middle of the field and try not to let CBs get pulled out wide - use your RM and LM. If the CBs get pulled wide, you might need to plug the hole they left manually. Bring the CAM back to help if the other guy is holding possession but not going forward.
  • DWR
    358 posts Sunday League Hero
    jdros wrote: »
    DWR wrote: »
    jdros wrote: »
    Reus wrote: »
    You will always be exposed at the back

    Have fun trying to score don't worry about conceding

    No point playing an attacking formation defensively

    Fully agree. Go to 3412 instead and learn how to manually move your midfielders around to keep your back 3 compact. If you are getting beat by wingers, it most likely means your RM/LM are trailing the play...which most likely means you turned the ball over in midfield. Possession and keeping your shape is very important when playing 3atb.

    I only play these formations, find them more fun. You’ll figure it out.

    Cheers bud. To be fair it took me a while to take to 4-1-2-1-2 but it did eventually click.

    I’ve only qualified for the WL once (although I have only tried twice through DKT so far) and fancying another shot at it however I can see my team getting torn apart if I’m not careful. Totally agree with your comment about my Midfield too so I’ll work on that aspect of my game.

    Do you use the custom tactics at all?

    I play on default tactics. Played with 100 pressure and aggression at the beginning of the year to get used to defending this year (it was hard) then backed down. Had attack build up speed higher at one point, but felt like the midfield would sometimes leave me with no passing options and if I lost the ball I was in trouble (remember, keeping shape is important). Also decided I liked 3412 better than 3421 this year, which I felt got too congested when I played someone who sat deep defensively. Only instructions I use are on the strikers, press back line and get in behind.

    Control midfielders in the middle of the field and try not to let CBs get pulled out wide - use your RM and LM. If the CBs get pulled wide, you might need to plug the hole they left manually. Bring the CAM back to help if the other guy is holding possession but not going forward.

    Nice one massively appreciated - going to have a day tomorrow experimenting a little more however the little success I did have was when I got my wide players involved so I’ll focus on that.

    Ederson (UT)

    TOTGS Stones FUTMAS VVD (UT) Azpi

    IF Rooney Kante

    POTM Sane (7chem) Pogba Hazard (UT)

    Ibra POTM Salah

    That’s the team I’m currently using. Considering Bailey at some point maybe instead of Azpi. Rooney is great and really enjoying him. Sane has been class wherever I’ve played him however I’m struggling with Hazard and Pogba as CAM. Both strikers work well together too. If I can’t get used to Pogba I may replace him with TOTGS Firmino before the end of the week.
  • Longballs
    396 posts Sunday League Hero
    I play 352 and so far have held my own (division 3)
    Personally I'd worry with the work rates on your centre backs, Two of them are high attacking if I remember correct ?
    I have only just replaced Azpi today but he has been more than good enough.
    Definitely get Bailly in if I was you, He's a rock.
  • Bobster
    63 posts Park Captain
    Love 352 formation. I play on balanced all game and what changed things for me was the LM and RM instructions. Sounds mad but try it. Set them to Get in Behind and also Come Back in Defence.

    My current team. Trying out De Bruyne. Usually have Gomez as CAM, Perisic as LM and IF Allan in place of Nainggolan.

    Handanovich
    Bonucci
    Manolas
    Chiellini

    Callejon
    Nainggolan
    Matuidi
    Sane

    De Bruyne

    Mertens
    Aguero

  • Joestoe
    4269 posts National Call-Up
    simmarjit wrote: »
    Give 5-1-2-1-2 a go, have your fullbacks to always overlap so it will play like a 3 ATB formation when playing against narrow formation, and have them to stay back if playing against formations with wingers.

    What glitch do you use to be able to have 12 players on the pitch? I'd love some of that.
Sign In or Register to comment.