Ot: Liverpool signs van Dijk

Comments

• SF9
    8369 posts League Winner
    Just imagine if Van Dijk signed for City instead of Liverpool all the praise he'd be getting...
  • hoban95
    48578 posts FIFA Cover Star
    SF9 wrote: »
    Just imagine if Van Dijk signed for City instead of Liverpool all the praise he'd be getting...

Always the victim.
  • SF9
    8369 posts League Winner
    hoban95 wrote: »

Always the victim.
    Nothing to be victimised about pal. Celtic apparently have a 10% sell-on clause so £7.5 million could be heading our way. Great business.
  • BcfcDale88
    3642 posts National Call-Up
    Don’t get the hate with Otamendi he’s been the best central defender this year.

It’s not just City’s forwards doing well it’s the whole team
  • Michael LFC 96
    3711 posts National Call-Up
    BcfcDale88 wrote: »
    Don’t get the hate with Otamendi he’s been the best central defender this year.

It’s not just City’s forwards doing well it’s the whole team

I think he's been class too, but wouldn't go as far as Vertonghen and Bailly being so far out of VVD's league :joy:

Think people just need to pipe down and let the season pipe down. Klopp clearly can improve players, so all he'll need is time, if that.
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain

No. He’d be slated for being too expensive, buying the league and how you were lucky to escape because he’s over rated.
  • Argie8
    5742 posts Big Money Move
    Argie8 wrote: »
    Danic123 wrote: »
    Hollandman wrote: »
    Maybe that Bailly is better,but Alderweireld Verthongen really?

In the real world, Alderweireld is the best centre half in the league. If you’re talking back 3, then Azpilcueta takes too spot, but he’d be no good in a central 2 in the traditional back 4.

Bailly is decent but a long way from the quality of VVD. Verthongen is better than Bailly but still not in the class of VVD. Otamendi is just a ridiculous suggestion, He’s not even near the quality of the other lot.

Yup, this. Let's face it, VVD is far too good for us. That's why we are all so excited. I wouldn't have begrudge him if he'd gone to City instead. It's our biggest signing since Torres (not counting Suarez as he was more of a risk at the time imo).
    Scholesyy wrote: »
    Rutta wrote: »
    Lol Man Utd fans get proper bitter when other clubs splash the cash.

Going to predict that if Mourinho doesn't get backed with huge funds in January then Liverpool to finish ahead of them.

Don't think that's a general opinion for United fans. I'm not bitter at all. Even if he's way better than every defender at Pool I don't see how it will affect Liverpools defence massively this season and I love how Klopp talks about what other clubs spend and then this happens.

Liverpool is the top club I worry least about.

And on topic of other BPL defenders. I rate Baily very high, Spurs defenders as well. But Otamendi is just as bad as he's a massive ****. Think he'll be replaced in time but hope not.

Otamendi won't be replaced any time soon :joy:

It's a fun stat but absolutely meaningless for a CB. Just means he gets the ball a lot. Think Hendo has the most passes in our side and he's our worst starter

Might be meaningless to you but it certainly isn't to his manager who demands his sides play out from the back. It's funny how people praise Sterling, Sane, Silva etc but refuse to praise Otamendi considering he's having a hell of a season so far. The only consistent in that City defense.

I don't mean just to me. Number of passes is more about his teams style of play. It has no baring on the quality of those passes. Anyone in his position in that side would have lots of passes as City dominate the ball and are tasked with playing out from the back. Passing accuracy and destination of those passes would be a better indicator of how well he has done on the ball. Not saying he isn't having a good season but total passes is a rubbish stat, same as total shots
  • Cadey 5
    10390 posts Has That Special Something
    Here’s the problem I have it’s not the fee it’s Klopp, how can you not sign a top defender it how many windows?

Then basically admit in the summer you have one target by not going after others!

Then half a season later still have one big target when the whole league knows you can’t defend?

The fee is relative Man United felt they needed a new number 9 so spent big on him Liverpool need a CB so spent big on one but how it’s all unfolded is a bit embarssing.

• Argie8
    5742 posts Big Money Move
    DaveSaves wrote: »

No. He’d be slated for being too expensive, buying the league and how you were lucky to escape because he’s over rated.

Lol no. We've never hid how desperate we were for him as a fan base. Obviously there will be some idiots but still...
  • hoban95

In the real world, Alderweireld is the best centre half in the league. If you’re talking back 3, then Azpilcueta takes too spot, but he’d be no good in a central 2 in the traditional back 4.

Bailly is decent but a long way from the quality of VVD. Verthongen is better than Bailly but still not in the class of VVD. Otamendi is just a ridiculous suggestion, He’s not even near the quality of the other lot.

Yup, this. Let's face it, VVD is far too good for us. That's why we are all so excited. I wouldn't have begrudge him if he'd gone to City instead. It's our biggest signing since Torres (not counting Suarez as he was more of a risk at the time imo).

Going to predict that if Mourinho doesn't get backed with huge funds in January then Liverpool to finish ahead of them.

Don't think that's a general opinion for United fans. I'm not bitter at all. Even if he's way better than every defender at Pool I don't see how it will affect Liverpools defence massively this season and I love how Klopp talks about what other clubs spend and then this happens.

And on topic of other BPL defenders. I rate Baily very high, Spurs defenders as well. But Otamendi is just as bad as he's a massive ****. Think he'll be replaced in time but hope not.

It's a fun stat but absolutely meaningless for a CB. Just means he gets the ball a lot. Think Hendo has the most passes in our side and he's our worst starter

Might be meaningless to you but it certainly isn't to his manager who demands his sides play out from the back. It's funny how people praise Sterling, Sane, Silva etc but refuse to praise Otamendi considering he's having a hell of a season so far. The only consistent in that City defense.

I don't mean just to me. Number of passes is more about his teams style of play. It has no baring on the quality of those passes. Anyone in his position in that side would have lots of passes as City dominate the ball and are tasked with playing out from the back. Passing accuracy and destination of those passes would be a better indicator of how well he has done on the ball. Not saying he isn't having a good season but total passes is a rubbish stat, same as total shots

The tweet posted was to imply the sheer amount of game time he's had compared to the other city defenders. He has been their most important defender, they won't be getting rid of him.
  • ImmigrantMentality
    5864 posts Big Money Move
    is vvd a better cb than lukaku is striker? answer is yes. man utd fans be quiet.
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    is vvd a better cb than lukaku is striker? answer is yes. man utd fans be quiet.

Your attempts at trolling have got much worse lately.
  • Danic123
    2323 posts Fans' Favourite
    Otamendi is having a good season. Mascherano played CB in a pep team though. Way he plays the game, the usual requirements for being a CB go out the window. But let's be honest, this season, you could put any CB in the league in that City team most games and there'd be no issue.
  • ImmigrantMentality
    5864 posts Big Money Move

not trolling is it? lukaku is bloody awful. vvd is pretty good.
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain

Point proven.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31695 posts National Team Captain
    As if I've just read VVD is one of the best CBs in the world.

Ahahahahahhahaha

Exactly. This thread was a good laugh to catch up with My morning tea.

Exactly.

And a lot of people are basing their opinions on Otamendi on the past since he’s joined. Anyone who’s watched them this year can see that his game has stepped up a lot this year.

I do agree with Davesaves about top 5 Defender’s in the league as well.
  • Danic123
    2323 posts Fans' Favourite
    In the summer everyone said how ridiculous City were spending all that cash on full backs. But it was the weak point in the city squad & they could afford to go big there. Same applies to Livepool here. The fee is crazy and outlandish, but we will be saying the same thing every winter / summer for years to come with the next big prem TV deal set to smash the last one, yet again.

Liverpool had a major test they had to pass. Were they willing to spend an obscene amount to show they were actually ready to go toe to toe with the top sides and actually think about competing. I'm delighted they've answered it in a positive fashion.

This isn't just about improving one of the areas we were desperate to do. VVD is not in form & will take time to settle, no miracle cure here. He's for the long term. The massive thing for LFC fans is our owners are actually backing the manager and spending big. They have shown they want to compete and want to win, not just battle for the top 4 to keep the cash rolling in.
  • Hitman_Hatton
    14382 posts Has That Special Something
    If you was to put together a back three from any of the defenders in the prem, then Azpil and Alder would probably be first and second on your list. Third spot is up for debate.
  • No_NaMe
    9253 posts League Winner
    If you was to put together a back three from any of the defenders in the prem, then Azpil and Alder would probably be first and second on your list. Third spot is up for debate.
    Per Mertesacker
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31695 posts National Team Captain

In a back 3? Lindelof. Easily.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    20460 posts Club Captain

Vertonghen for that Achmed/Amir Khan boost with Toby innit
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    edited December 2017
    Right I consider my self quite level headed for a Liverpool fan so here's my take on it.

Yes, it's over priced.

But it's very very obvious he's the only CB we have had in mind for a long time, so I would rather us pay over the odds for the CB they think is the right signing than just settling for someone they don't really want for £30mil.

It's too much money, but we don't really operate with a set budget, they look at each play individually and justify a price we are willing to pay, in the past we have been too stubborn and missed out on players because we wouldn't pay an extra fee million, so they seem to have thrown caution to the wind.

In theory these decision makers know what they are talking about, so to throw so much money at him it seems they are very confident in his abilities.

Is he the best CB in the league? No.
    Is he the best CB available that we could realistically sign? Probably.

If he succeeds the fee is meaningless, if he fails it could cost Klopp his job.
  • weims
    2028 posts Fans' Favourite
    Peter wrote: »
    Right I consider my self quite level headed for a Liverpool fan so here's my take on it.

Yes, it's over priced.

But it's very very obvious he's the only CB we have had in mind for a long time, so I would rather us pay over the odds for the CB they think is the right signing than just settling for someone they don't really want for £30mil.

It's too much money, but we don't really operate with a set budget, they look at each play individually and justify a price we are willing to pay, in the past we have been too stubborn and missed out on players because we wouldn't pay an extra fee million, so they seem to have thrown caution to the wind.

In theory these decision makers know what they are talking about, so to throw so much money at him it seems they are very confident in his abilities.

Curious what you think of Pool’s recent spending spree. Short term splurge to placate fans or a sign of things to come?
  • TalentFG
    1532 posts Play-Off Hero
    weims wrote: »
    Cba reading all the hate comments but all I'll say is that he is exactly what we needed. One of the best centre backs in the world and could well be our most important player. 75mil is crazy money but in today's market it's no big surprise.

And that comment about Ox is straight on the money. No idea why anyone would be surprised by this haha

One of the best in the world?! He’s not even top 5 in the league.

Out of curiosity who do you rate as top 5? I feel like top class (prime Vidic / Rio type) CBs are hard as heck to come by these days. There are several good ones but each has his own flaws that prevents them from being a really top defender.

In no particular order;

Vertongen
    Alderwiereld
    Azpi
    Bailey
    Otamendi

All better than Van Dijk

Can't agree on Otamendi but the rest are definitely top 5

Liverpool actually targeted Otamendi when they played City. The game plan worked until the sending off. The guy **** the bed under pressure.

VVD has potential and "could" be an amazing signing regardless of price. Does remind me of Ferdinand signing for Utd from Leeds. What a signing he turned out to be.

Liverpool are a decent side and their play going forward is great. They need a good defender

Jury's out
  • Peter
    edited December 2017
    weims wrote: »
    Peter wrote: »

Yes, it's over priced.

Curious what you think of Pool’s recent spending spree. Short term splurge to placate fans or a sign of things to come?

It's just the way football is now.

And when Coutinho leaves in summer it will bring the recent net spend rightttttt down. He won't be directly replaced as we have 2 top wingers and Keita will come into CM.

The owners are making sure we are in the champions league semi regularly for when they prepare to sell.
  • hoban95

Vertonghen for that Achmed/Amir Khan boost with Toby innit

Screen-Shot-2017-11-30-at-23.50.56-30e0b2d.png?quality=45&resize=620,413
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    edited December 2017
    Rumours doing the rounds that Liverpool are going to bid for Frazer Foster next
  • Peter

Bertrand pls
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain

They don’t need 3 terrible keepers
  • rckstr
    5288 posts Big Money Move

Point proven.

I understand you are extremely unintelligent when it comes to this sport but please don’t tell me you’re seriously disagreeing with wht he said?

But tbf you said Bailly > so you’re a lost cause :D