An interesting take on the future of Ultimate Team "loot crates"

Gil3000Doe
895 posts An Exciting Prospect
https://youtube.com/watch?v=PTLFNlu2N_M

Obviously a one sided take on matters, although think I somewhat sat on the fence going in and found it a very interesting watch. Governments eventually cracking down on these immoral practices of endorsing pay to win game mechanics to young users of the game.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Gil3000Doe
    edited December 2017
    edit as I messed up the link: https://youtube.com/watch?v=PTLFNlu2N_M

p.s. bare with it, the majority of the video is about Fifa Ultimate Team, it's past and EA's future once it gets past the intro
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    The whole corrupt system needs to be destroyed.

Literally every game has them now, don't mind it on app games but if I've paid £40 for a game in app purchases shouldn't be shoe horned in. FUT is not too bad that way, it feels somewhat natural, but others are a joke I.e Star Wars.
  • Gil3000Doe
    coatsy2008 wrote: »

Literally every game has them now, don't mind it on app games but if I've paid £40 for a game in app purchases shouldn't be shoe horned in. FUT is not too bad that way, it feels somewhat natural, but others are a joke I.e Star Wars.

Funnily enough I'm not much of a gamer at all, Fifa pretty much the only game I ever play so have no history with these so called loot crates.

The way in which they've totally stripped back on game development in a financial aspect is shocking, that is until I think about it and realise why it shouldn't come as such a surprise. It somehow turns gaming into a toxic, highly addictive hobby as the quality of gameplay seems to diminish with time
  • Orison
    48727 posts FIFA Cover Star
    coatsy2008 wrote: »

I feel like fut at this point is almost a standalone free2play game :D

If they made fut its own game I would buy that and won't even care about the rest of fifa.

Sadly means fut also got the most aggressive pay2win policy.
  • TwoZebras
    5320 posts Big Money Move
    I'd be curious to see if there was a change to the law here that demanded the odds and percentages of packs for games like this
  • Gil3000Doe
    TwoZebras wrote: »
    I'd be curious to see if there was a change to the law here that demanded the odds and percentages of packs for games like this

The whole hush hush nature of this is what's most concerning imo. The fact they won't release the game in China simply because they would have to disclose such information is very worrying, leads me to believe they regularly alter pack weights and is why they can't disclose such info
  • Shaqiri
    1393 posts Professional
    If it ain’t broke as they say, in our eyes yes but EA’s?
  • IDARYL
    5648 posts Big Money Move
    Shaqiri wrote: »
    If it ain’t broke as they say, in our eyes yes but EA’s?

Government will make them change. Let me buy a player i want and then there is no arguing because i know what i'm getting, i don't want a pack of nothingness
  • Falafelmonster
    4823 posts National Call-Up
    Nothing's gonna change brothers and sisters.
    Corporations found a way to make major money out of video games. This will not cease one way or another... Wether it be micro transactions or some other mechanism that will entice the masses to spend a boat load every year.
  • Gil3000Doe
    Corporations found a way to make major money out of video games. This will not cease one way or another... Wether it be micro transactions or some other mechanism that will entice the masses to spend a boat load every year.

Don't think the argument is about it ceasing, more the fact they will have to make considerable changes to the way FUT is run down the line due to coutnries slowly cracking down on this behaviour
  • iitalic
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    Every person that makes videos about how fut is pay to win/talks how bad packs in fifa are always have one thing in common. They are somebody who has never played fifa, have no interest in fifa.

If ultimate team packs were removed and you could just make a full icon team on the day the game was released I know would play less, and have less fun.

Videos like this are always they same. Just say fifa is pay to win and talk about pack sales. Sbc, fut champs, squad battles, trading are things in fifa that make it possible to play this game without spending a penny. If some rich guy wants flush 20k down the drain on packs why do people care?
  • IDARYL

i don't mind spending money if i know what im buying whether a player or the game. How can you sell a game and totally change the game a month later to what the previous game was. Name something else that can do this and you don't get your money back ?
  • Gil3000Doe
    iitalic wrote: »
    Every person that makes videos about how fut is pay to win/talks how bad packs in fifa are always have one thing in common. They are somebody who has never played fifa, have no interest in fifa.

If ultimate team packs were removed and you could just make a full icon team on the day the game was released I know would play less, and have less fun.

Videos like this are always they same. Just say fifa is pay to win and talk about pack sales. Sbc, fut champs, squad battles, trading are things in fifa that make it possible to play this game without spending a penny. If some rich guy wants flush 20k down the drain on packs why do people care?

Presume you didn't watch the full video - touches on legislation and actions currently being taken by a number of countries including Belgium potentially putting a ban to ultimate team packs. I imagine once a number of nations bring in such legislation, it will probably lead to a snowball effect of other nations following suit. Also this isn't totally focussed on Ultimate Team - more how the original idea came from this game mode, how other EA releases have looked to implement a similar system
  • iitalic
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    IDARYL wrote: »

i don't mind spending money if i know what im buying whether a player or the game. How can you sell a game and totally change the game a month later to what the previous game was. Name something else that can do this and you don't get your money back ?
    So in call of duty if they nerf a gun you like using you should get your money back because the game has changed?all games change over time through updates.
  • iitalic
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    Gil3000Doe wrote: »

Presume you didn't watch the full video - touches on legislation and actions currently being taken by a number of countries including Belgium potentially putting a ban to ultimate team packs. I imagine once a number of nations bring in such legislation, it will probably lead to a snowball effect of other nations following suit. Also this isn't totally focussed on Ultimate Team - more how the original idea came from this game mode, how other EA releases have looked to implement a similar system

I was skipping through the video looking to hear something new or interesting and to me it was the same stuff I've seen in all loot crate videos. If Belgium or any country wants to ban loot crates or packs I would disagree with that choice and assume they are the same type of people who think violent video games lead to school shooting and want them banned aswell.

• dopetothemax
    2015 posts Fans' Favourite

So in call of duty if they nerf a gun you like using you should get your money back because the game has changed?all games change over time through updates.

The problem is they realease subpar games with the knowledge they can always patch it later. This practice only happens in video games as far as I can think of. You can’t “patch” a movie after it’s been released. Or any other product. You have to get it right. Video games were the same way years ago before the ability to patch games. Now they don’t have to take the time to make sure the game is exactly how they want, they know they can just change it later. It doesn’t make sense
  • iitalic
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero

The problem is they realease subpar games with the knowledge they can always patch it later. This practice only happens in video games as far as I can think of. You can’t “patch” a movie after it’s been released. Or any other product. You have to get it right. Video games were the same way years ago before the ability to patch games. Now they don’t have to take the time to make sure the game is exactly how they want, they know they can just change it later. It doesn’t make sense

I would not class fifa as a sub par game. There can be things you don't like about the gameplay but it's really polished on release. Cod has a 3 year development cycle and the most recent game was an absolute disaster on launch compared to fifa which is on a 1 year cycle.
  • IDARYL

no they totally changed the gameplay and gave us a copy of fifa 17. Thats like buying ww2 and it turning to infinate warfare. A totally different game
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class

no they totally changed the gameplay and gave us a copy of fifa 17. Thats like buying ww2 and it turning to infinate warfare. A totally different game

That's strange because I am playing FIFA 18, feels different to 17, plays different and imo is much better.
  • iitalic
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    LeonidasJB wrote: »

That's strange because I am playing FIFA 18, feels different to 17, plays different and imo is much better.

• Knowlesdinho
    10592 posts Has That Special Something

Ever heard of a Directors cut? Or product recalls? It's not quite the same, but patching kind of happens with all products.

As a PC gamer patches are part and parcel of online gaming. I don't agree that FIFA 18 has been patched back to 17, the gameplay is noticeably different imo.
  • Tuulis
    441 posts Sunday League Hero

**** i say.

By giving rich **** an option to buy the best players in game, they would ruin the game for 95% of the player base.

FIFA is now Work to Win, or: Pay a **** to win for richers
  • Yoshi
    3657 posts National Call-Up
    Tuulis wrote: »

**** i say.

By giving rich **** an option to buy the best players in game, they would ruin the game for 95% of the player base.

That's life my friend.
  • bberger
    5165 posts Big Money Move
    For me the only issue is the non-disclosing of pack weights. This is highly suspicious and needs to be taken out of any sort of loot system.

I always thought that for example The Settlers Online did a great job at disclosing pack weights and RNG chances. From the beginning.
  • Azof
    16640 posts World Class
    bberger wrote: »
    For me the only issue is the non-disclosing of pack weights. This is highly suspicious and needs to be taken out of any sort of loot system.

I always thought that for example The Settlers Online did a great job at disclosing pack weights and RNG chances. From the beginning.

apple updated their ToS the other day saying games need to disclose chances if they have loot boxes, not sure if any have updated to show it yet but it should be mandatory
  • Alex_cr
    5107 posts Big Money Move
    Pack weight is fine if you don't spend money on them and just take advantage of the incredible amounts of packs available for nothing.

With regards to odds don't you see EA have got this covered on FIFA? They don't have to do anything because they guarantee what you're gonna get! Yes the guarantee isn't brilliant but it's a guarantee nonetheless. You buy a premium gold pack you're gonna get 3 rare cards - no odds, no chance - absolute guarantee All they have to do is make sure there's less of the rare cards than the non rare and job done.

Any laws brought in are not going to stipulate a player has to have a certain rating because then you'd need a law made for each individual game. They're not gonna stipulate a value because FIFA has this covered in their terms and conditions. Your not allowed to sell for real money so whether you like it or not your R9 is worth zero. And this fact may or may not get them round the gambling issue - time will tell on that one.
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    Bought 4 of them 50ks last night. Worst value for money ever.

It's a strange one as I don't mind the system, I just think the prices for points are a rip off. 50% off maybe
  • IDARYL
    Yoshi wrote: »
    Tuulis wrote: »

**** i say.

That's life my friend.

and it would be the same if i could buy the player i want...
  • IDARYL

tell me whats different, because now its maybe 5% different from fifa 17, day one fifa is 100% different
  • Orison
    48727 posts FIFA Cover Star

tell me whats different, because now its maybe 5% different from fifa 17, day one fifa is 100% different

No