Comments

• Wyojasond
    11251 posts Has That Special Something
    HPEY5FC.jpg
  • Danimal5981
    2170 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited December 2017
    SKA Energya?
    The most remote you can be (somewhere between Vladivostok, China and North-Korea) and at the bottom of the Russian league too... a nice -23 degrees Celcius (-10 Fahrenheit) at the moment.
  • Wyojasond
    SKA Energya?
    The most remote you can be (somewhere between Vladivostok, China and North-Korea) and at the bottom of the Russian league too... a nice -23 degrees Celcius (-10 Fahrenheit) at the moment.

I can confirm he won’t be coaching in Russia :D
  • flypiggy22
    1153 posts Professional
    Nice start to the story!
  • Wyojasond
    Wby2gue.jpg
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Good luck in this new story. Interesting start to it.
  • Wyojasond
    VcCLWmr.jpg
  • Wyojasond
    AOHHAH4.jpg
  • flypiggy22
    1153 posts Professional
    Great!!!!! Random team from Turkey, good luck....

PS. Never heard of them.... a bit of a description plz...
  • Wyojasond
    Quick blurb from Wikipedia about Konyaspor

Konyaspor was founded officially in 1922 with the name "Konya Gençlerbirliği". In 1965 the club combined with "Meramspor", "Selçukspor" and "Çimentospor" and took the name "Konyaspor" with black and white as the team colors, and started their first season in the Second League. Konyaspor then changed to green and white as the team colours after its merger in 1981 with the cross-town rival "Konya İdman Yurdu".[3]

The new team adopted the name of "Konyaspor" and colors of "Konya İdman Yurdu". In 1987–88 Konyaspor became the champions of the second league and were promoted to the first league for the first time in history. Konyaspor lasted 5 seasons in the first league. They played 160 official matches. They ended up with 47 wins, 33 draws and 80 losses. During in 1988–89 season Konyaspor made it to the semi-finals of the Turkish Cup losing to eventual champions Beşiktaş In 1992–93, the club was relegated back to the second league. After spending 10 seasons in the second league, Konyaspor returned to Süper Lig as the title holders of the 2002–03 First League with 68 points.

During the 2003–04 season Konyaspor made it to the quarter-finals of the Turkish Cup, but then lost to eventual champions Trabzonspor 2–1 during extra time. In 2004–05 Konyaspor advanced to the quarter-finals beating Beşiktaş 3–1, but then lost to Denizlispor 5–4 on penalty shoot-outs. In 2008–09 despite the 3–0 home win against Ankaraspor, Konyaspor couldn't avoid relegation as they remained 16th in the table with 38 points which meant their relegation from the Süper Lig. Konyaspor was in the Süper Lig since 2003. However, Konyaspor completed the TFF First League 6th and secured a position in the Promotion Play-offs in 2010.

Konyaspor then won the Promotion Play-offs and made an immadiate return to the Süper Lig after 1 year. They finished the Play-offs 1st with 7 points beating Adanaspor 3–1 in the first game, Karşıyaka 1–0 in the second and drawing with Altay 2–2 in the final match. But, Konyaspor relegated again in 2010–11 season. They returned top level 2 years later. In 2015–16 Konyaspor finally finished Süper Lig as 3rd, also the best result for them, and qualified for UEFA Europa League. In 2016–17 they play for the first time in their history in European competitions and draw in Group H with Shakhtar Donetsk, Braga and Gent. They finished the group in 4th place with 5 lose, 1 draw and without winning any match.

Also in the same season they reach to the Turkish Cup final for the first time in their history.[4] On 31 May 2017 Konyaspor defeated İstanbul Başakşehir to win their first ever Turkish Cup in their clubs 95-year history.[5] In the first Turkish Cup final since the 2007–08 Turkish Cup season in which none of Istanbul's "big three" clubs Beşiktaş, Fenerbahçe and Galatasaray were competing, Konyaspor against İstanbul Başakşehir finished regular and extra time tied 0–0 and win after penalty shootout with result 4–1
  • flypiggy22
    1153 posts Professional
    Thanks
  • exercisebike
    62 posts Park Captain
    Sounds interesting - more of a manager story than a team story. How did you go about joining a team halfway through a season?
  • Wyojasond
    Sounds interesting - more of a manager story than a team story. How did you go about joining a team halfway through a season?

I just started the season with them, but simulated up til January.
  • Wyojasond
    mTfwgd4.jpg
  • Wyojasond
    04gopxn.png

Sky sports will be sitting down with new Konyaspor manager Dean Michael-Caine III. Send in your questions now and we will share them LIVE as we get to know the controversial manager.
  • flypiggy22
    1153 posts Professional
    Mr. Caine, may I know what led you to choose a club in Turkey, after working as an assistant for one of the best leagues in the world?
    Also, what do you plan for Konyaspor, what do you expect?
  • subpop
    Mr. Caine. Which is your idea of football? Would you like to introduce your idea to the team or will you adapt to the squad?
  • CaTriEm
    870 posts Semi-Pro
    Sorry to hear about your Liverpool save, was a great read. Looking forward to seeing how this idea develops.

Q. What do you feel are the biggest challenges facing you in adapting to Turkish football?
  • JoshDFC
    2017 posts Fans' Favourite
    Question how well do you know the Turkish league? and what changes will you be making to the Konyaspor team?
  • Stlducks
    1443 posts Professional
    edited December 2017
    Mr. Caine, why didn't you call her back?

Also, do you see this as a stepping stone or will you be in Turkey long term?
  • Danimal5981
    Mr. Caine, did you take the mandatory drug test and if so, how much did you have to pay to omit the outcome and get this job in the end? :D
  • Wyojasond
    04gopxn.png
    Today we sit down with new Konyaspor manager Dean Michael-Caine III. The American was once considered a hot prospect for many Premier League jobs, but a scandal with his former employer sent him searching for life outside of England.

Welcome Mr. Caine. We asked our fans to send some questions to ask you. Hope you don’t mind. First question comes from twitter user Flypiggy22. He asks what led you to Turkey after being so heavily linked to teams in England.
    Well sadly some poor decisions on my part left me as a less than desirable option for most teams at the moment. I have full faith in my tactics though and felt that Turkey would be a great place to hone them.

Next question comes from twitter user Subpop. He asks, what’s your idea of football? Do you plan to implement your style right away or will you adapt to the squad?
    I’m a big fan of starting from the back when building a team. If I can trust my back four then I can start to get more creative with our attack. I will look to add my tactics for sure. I’m looking to implement a 4-1-3-2 formation. I like to play with one striker and have another dropped off to the right as a RF or RW.

Our next question comes from Catriem. He wants to know what your biggest challenges will be to adapting to the Turkish Super Lig.
    So many challenges. Lol. Obviously the league has been dominated by 3 teams for the last 50 years or so. Beşiktaş, Fenerbahçe, and Galatasaray are quality teams. They recruit well and have shown they can compete in Europe. That being said, I feel like every other team in this league has a chance to make a run at that top 5.

Interesting. Certainly a challenge with those big 3. JoshDFC asks, how well do you know this league and do you have any big plans to change there fortune.
    I’ve spent a fair amount of time scouting this region, so I know it fairly well but there is still a lot to learn. As far as my plans for the team, well we will just have to wait and see.

Stlducks is wondering if you see this job as a stepping stone or do you plan to stay for awhile?
    I’ve never liked that term, stepping stone. I feel incredibly grateful to be given a chance here. I never saw myself coaching here in Turkey, but I plan to stay as long as they’ll have me.

Our last question comes from Danimal5981. He wants to know if you had to take the mandatory drug test. And if you did, how much did you pay to omit the results.
    WTF!?!? I may enjoy drinking......a lot, but I can say adamantly that I have never and will never use drugs. This is interview is over. Bunch of amateurs.....FFS...
  • Wyojasond
    Konyaspor start life under DMC III with a huge win over first place Fenerbahçe. The team was extremely fast all game and made the most of there chances!
    6xwSC2X.jpg
    Caine will be happy with any points at this point of the season but blowing an early 2-0 lead did not sit well with the manager. His inability to adapt to changes in the second half will be something we will have to follow as the season goes on.
    veaiqKI.jpg
  • Wyojasond
    fqbZUbo.jpg
    b00wQ6q.jpg
    txtgU3d.jpg
  • Wyojasond
    FSDA9r8.jpg
  • Stlducks
    1443 posts Professional
    Great looking graphics as always! Great win to start the season, disappointing to blow a 2 goal lead but 4 pts in the first two matches isn't bad.
  • flypiggy22
    1153 posts Professional
    Great graphics and great result against Fenerbahce. The answer to the drug test question was questionable, the press will want to follow up.... :)
  • Danimal5981
    Once a very promising Ajax-talent, Özbiliz was. Maybe he can help Konya better than his first employer.
  • subpop
    Not a bad debut for Caine at Konyaspor, especially the great victory against Fenerbahce.

Willing to see how your hand and this new signing have an influence on the team... Europa League isn't that far.
  • Wyojasond
    he0ZbYY.jpg