Should they tone down the effectiveness of the RB button?

dopetothemax
2015 posts Fans' Favourite
Seems everyone you play in WL just holds RB and let’s the CPU defend for them. I’ve seen so many people actively switch away from the man near the ball carrier and start holding RB. Should they make holding RB less of an effective tactic? Shouldn’t that be more like the A button where it’s only used by terrible players that need all the help they can get?

Comments

• BackDaddy
    3259 posts National Call-Up
    edited December 2017
    Rb is not very effective tbh. You should be able to rely on your Ai to some extent, Rb generally pulls players out of position
  • Brownie1524
    9172 posts League Winner
    None of that should be there, problem is that it will always be there. It's how they keep all the bs players who drop tons of money into the game around.
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    None of that should be there, problem is that it will always be there. It's how they keep all the bs players who drop tons of money into the game around.

Tbf most pro's use RB as well and play this high pressure style. I normally manually defend but I've been using it recently and it's very effective when done right, especially when you press and cut off passing lanes.

Wish defending was manual though
  • dopetothemax
    BackDaddy wrote: »
    Rb is not very effective tbh. You should be able to rely on your Ai to some extent, Rb generally pulls players out of position

Not if you switch off and then begin to hold RB. Then the game uses the player nearest to auto contain. It can be effective in the right hands but it just promotes not playing the game yourself and letting the AI handle the heavy lifting.

Agreed. It’s why everyone never touches their defenders until they absolutely have to and they just sprint around with Bakayoko all game
  • hjdjydyufu
    7506 posts League Winner
    It doesn't even work...it just pulls your defense out of position and any good player would pick that apart
  • dopetothemax
    Shane wrote: »

Tbf most pro's use RB as well and play this high pressure style. I normally manually defend but I've been using it recently and it's very effective when done right, especially when you press and cut off passing lanes.

Wish defending was manual though

Exactly and that’s where these players get it from. Pros don’t go in for too many tackles on their own and instead use RB while tracking runners and cutting off passes.
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    hjdjydyufu wrote: »
    It doesn't even work...it just pulls your defense out of position and any good player would pick that apart

Not true, you have to use it in the right situations and read the game. Most pro players use it effectively
  • dopetothemax

You’re not doing it right. You don’t just hold it randomly. You can do it in a way so you know which player the CPU will control
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    edited December 2017

You’re not doing it right. You don’t just hold it randomly. You can do it in a way so you know which player the CPU will control

Yep this
    For example let's say my opponent has the ball, I'll dart at him with my fullback manually (press RB) then switch to another player and cut off the passing lane to the player closest to him.

I'll then be more likely to get the ball back. I'll switch back to my right back and try tackle the player with the ball, if that fails I'll continue cutting off the passing lanes.

If the press doesn't work I'll go back to a more defensive shape and stay patient.
  • hjdjydyufu
    7506 posts League Winner

Yep this
    For example let's say my opponent has the ball, I'll dart at him with my fullback manually (press RB) then switch to another player and cut off the passing lane to the player closest to him.

I'll then be more likely to get the ball back. I'll switch back to my right back and try tackle the player with the ball, if that fails I'll continue cutting off the passing lanes.

If the press doesn't work I'll go back to a more defensive shape and stay patient.

Alright. Thanks for the breakdown.
  • I like it. It does what you would do if you were controlling that player anyway, basic closing down, so frees up a player that you can use to anticipate the play which is more of a skill anyway.
    It doesn't work like that for me cos I've not mastered defending at all. But I like the idea of it.
  • dopetothemax
    TheDrifter wrote: »
    I like it. It does what you would do if you were controlling that player anyway, basic closing down, so frees up a player that you can use to anticipate the play which is more of a skill anyway.
    It doesn't work like that for me cos I've not mastered defending at all. But I like the idea of it.

I guess this brings up another question. Obviously the AI has to help in some way. You can only control 1 player at a time after all. Would it be better if the AI was better at tracking runs so you don’t have to as much, or better if the AI is good at auto containing while you track the runs?
  • RadioShaq
    14882 posts Moderator
    I always thought the forum was against it. Then ea did the indicator patch and so many said clogging lanes letting the cpu defend is the most skillful way to play.
  • Knowlesdinho
    10089 posts Has That Special Something
    I like it. It does what you would do if you were controlling that player anyway, basic closing down, so frees up a player that you can use to anticipate the play which is more of a skill anyway.

I guess this brings up another question. Obviously the AI has to help in some way. You can only control 1 player at a time after all. Would it be better if the AI was better at tracking runs so you don’t have to as much, or better if the AI is good at auto containing while you track the runs?

There needs to be more balance, FIFA 16 there was too much AI defending and FIFA 18 there is too little.

I know some people will disagree with the 18 bit, but when you are covering runs and the opponent still gets through it's annoying.

You essentially control one player at a time, you need some help from the AI imo.
  • Blarix
    20809 posts Club Captain
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    I always thought the forum was against it. Then ea did the indicator patch and so many said clogging lanes letting the cpu defend is the most skillful way to play.

That is not a skill regardless of how they sugar coat it, it's abusing the game mechanics. Pre-patch all of these contain guys were getting battered so they cried out and now we have this automated nonsense back.

• Blarix
    20809 posts Club Captain

There needs to be more balance, FIFA 16 there was too much AI defending and FIFA 18 there is too little.

I know some people will disagree with the 18 bit, but when you are covering runs and the opponent still gets through it's annoying.

You essentially control one player at a time, you need some help from the AI imo.

what?

Before the patch yeah and you needed to manually out smart your attacker, now the ai does the defending for you. Just run around with your cdm and watch the back for intercept the ball on their own.
  • Knowlesdinho
    Blarix wrote: »

what?

Before the patch yeah and you needed to manually out smart your attacker, now the ai does the defending for you. Just run around with your cdm and watch the back for intercept the ball on their own.

This is not my experience for the most part in defence and attack. TBF I usually have the majority of possession and end up quite high on the pitch so I get exposed by the Sane, Jesus, Mane trifecta!
  • Argie8
    5725 posts Big Money Move
    RB isn't overpowered. People don't tackle with it, they just press the ball with it. It's hard to use well as it drags your players out of position. Holding A is way more OP on this game
  • Brownie1524
    9172 posts League Winner

what?

This is not my experience for the most part in defence and attack. TBF I usually have the majority of possession and end up quite high on the pitch so I get exposed by the Sane, Jesus, Mane trifecta!

You're the only one then. It's either that they're running straight back to goal with their CDM or some even run all the way back with their ST/Winger. At the start of every match on my first touch, I always just stop to see what the opp. does. A lot of the time they're still running backwards to a "lane" or just back in general, often taking multiple game time minutes to actually come after me.
  • Denisianes
    8062 posts League Winner
    Team mate contain aka press one button and let your AI controlled player do your job. It would be ok if it was just closing down, but the AI almost sicks to the back of your player and tracks perfectly every single movement you do, making most skill moves useless and forcing you to pass it around just to take off some of the artificial pressure.

Just another skill gap destroying feature made for the majority of fifa players who sadly have severe brain lag.
  • dopetothemax

what?

You're the only one then. It's either that they're running straight back to goal with their CDM or some even run all the way back with their ST/Winger. At the start of every match on my first touch, I always just stop to see what the opp. does. A lot of the time they're still running backwards to a "lane" or just back in general, often taking multiple game time minutes to actually come after me.

This is my experience as well. Most players run around with a CM or, like you said, they’ll even take their ST back there too. Maybe it wouldn’t be quite as bad if the tackle ratings meant something. Jesus is possibly the best tackler on the game lol
  • Argie8
    Denisianes wrote: »
    Team mate contain aka press one button and let your AI controlled player do your job. It would be ok if it was just closing down, but the AI almost sicks to the back of your player and tracks perfectly every single movement you do, making most skill moves useless and forcing you to pass it around just to take off some of the artificial pressure.

Just another skill gap destroying feature made for the majority of fifa players who sadly have severe brain lag.

That's just not true lmao. RB is nowhere near that effective, watch how all the top players play. If it was then @xciljw and @EddieFicio would just use it constantly. You have to time it right and can't hold it down for long. Holding A is way more overpowered in defensive situations
  • Knowlesdinho

what?

I'm not saying that doesn't happen, that's why I end up with so much possession. I tend to beat people like that quite easily. I'm saying that I don't seem to get the AI support that many others do. As I said though, it's probably because I end up so high up the pitch so get exposed to counter attacks.
  • EddieFicio
    21273 posts Club Captain
    I don't even hold A, ever :(
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    @EddieFicio you use RB much or nah?
  • EddieFicio
    21273 posts Club Captain
    @EddieFicio you use RB much or nah?

Not much tbh, just when im defending deep on the wing
  • Blarix
    20809 posts Club Captain
    I use pro evo settings what does A do ? Standing tackle right?
  • Brownie1524
    9172 posts League Winner
    It all doesn’t matter anyways when there’s button delay! Aka time a tackle perfectly but your player doesn’t make the motion till a second or two later & the opp has breezed by you.
  • Argie8
    It all doesn’t matter anyways when there’s button delay! Aka time a tackle perfectly but your player doesn’t make the motion till a second or two later & the opp has breezed by you.

This we can all agree on
  • Knowlesdinho
    Argie8 wrote: »

This we can all agree on

Yes, that Joey lunge animation is annoying!